Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Andreas Athanasiou and Ryan Kuffner for Sam Gagner(10% retained), 2020 2nd and 2021 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Heard that AA was not playing complete game in Detroid and was quite on off in General.

I thought it was more if situation in Wings but it seems problems go deeper.

AA has all the tools but lacks hearth. Quite like Puljujärvi. (yes he is better than JP but same kind of lack of real compite)

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Archibald also had a rough start. Tippet runs a real structured ship and sometimes it takes a little while to gain his trust and get your footing. I think AA wants to succeed and I think the coach wants him to succeed. Few more games and we'll see. If it doesn't work out I'll still think Holland did a good job in getting him.

I do like him on line 3 with Archibald and Sheahan... if I was to be critical it's that he hasn't been able to expose weaker oppsition (with 2 good players) to sneak in a few points and work his way up from that line. As 3rd lines go, that is a very good line.

Eg. a lot of people were down on Neal/Khaira/Chiasson.. that line has been amazing at sneaking in a point here and there and very effective. Compares to recent years, we actually have great talent in our bottom 6. Eg. Chiasson scored 20 last year and Neal will score 20 this year and they are both on line 4. That's great depth.

Put another way - of all the guys they've got for McDavid (aside from Drai and RNH)... AA, Ennis, Kassian, Rattie, Maroon, Chiasson, Gagner and Archibald... I think AA might be the best of that lot.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Archibald also had a rough start. Tippet runs a real structured ship and sometimes it takes a little while to gain his trust and get your footing. I think AA wants to succeed and I think the coach wants him to succeed. Few more games and we'll see. If it doesn't work out I'll still think Holland did a good job in getting him.

I do like him on line 3 with Archibald and Sheahan... if I was to be critical it's that he hasn't been able to expose weaker oppsition (with 2 good players) to sneak in a few points and work his way up from that line. As 3rd lines go, that is a very good line.

Eg. a lot of people were down on Neal/Khaira/Chiasson.. that line has been amazing at sneaking in a point here and there and very effective. Compares to recent years, we actually have great talent in our bottom 6. Eg. Chiasson scored 20 last year and Neal will score 20 this year and they are both on line 4. That's great depth.

Put another way - of all the guys they've got for McDavid (aside from Drai and RNH)... AA, Ennis, Kassian, Rattie, Maroon, Chiasson, Gagner and Archibald... I think AA might be the best of that lot.

AA and Ennis also have had almost zero practice time with their new club as well. I think that given just a couple of practices we will see different players. You are right though, at first our entire bottom six struggled and we had to get propped up by McD/Drai. Getting guys up to speed is imparative.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
no risk no reward. The risk could have been our 1st but Holland kept it to 2 x 2nds, got rid of Gagner and added another prospect.
Still a 2nd round pick too many from what AA has brought but there is still hope.
Yup, he took a gamble on AA. He knows more about AA than any of us do. So if he thinks he's worth it, he better pray that AA gets his act together or there will be some pissed off fans here. Right now, it looks like Gagner played better for us than AA.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yup, he took a gamble on AA. He knows more about AA than any of us do. So if he thinks he's worth it, he better pray that AA gets his act together or there will be some pissed off fans here. Right now, it looks like Gagner played better for us than AA.

Well, you win some, you lose some. The team did not make play-offs the last 2 years. Holland managed to get them into a competitive spot with very few trade chips and almost no cap space, courtesy of Chiarelli's moves. Archibald, Sheahan, Nygard, Smith were very astute budget signings. Neal trade looks good, even if they have to move his contract after next year. Acquiring Athanasiou may be his worst move to date and the judgement is still out.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Heard that AA was not playing complete game in Detroid and was quite on off in General.

AA has all the tools but lacks hearth. Quite like Puljujärvi. (yes he is better than JP but same kind of lack of real compite)
There has been plenty of talented players with long NHL careers and holes in their games. The reality is under the salary cap it's impossible to build the team that has it all: generation talent at center, a 50 goal winger, Selke candidate centering your second line, a 25 tough minute defenseman and a hall-fame goal tender, and all the other players being above average at their positions. Most teams have significant defects and still win cups. Athanasiou does not have to be a 30 goal scorer on this team, though it would be nice. His job is to score here and there. If he gets 15 goals from the third line next year, like Archibald or Chiasson, while not getting killed in his own end, that would be success.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One of the things I've learned and admit I've even been wrong on is this board's rampantness in jumping all over decent players when they go through a rough stretch.

Nugent Hopkins was supposedly going on the trading block, he just needed to play with better players than the junk he was getting. Now he's like top 5 in the NHL in PPG since the new year started, playing like a no.1 pick.

Ryan Strome never got to play with either McDavid or Draisaitl ever.

18-19 stats with Oilers

18GP 1G 1A 2 points total

And then was traded for nothing. This year

63GP 18G, 41A, 59 points total

Kailer Yamamoto also written off by this board has become a major, major story for the Oilers. Thank goodness we did not give up on him.

I see a player in AA who is playing tentative because he let all the talk of his +/- get to him and is trying to pass the puck every time he gets it rather than making an aggressive play with it.

And he also has no real time with McDavid or Draisaitl. Played one full game with McDavid, had 1 goal, 1 assist, then got hurt the next game, then has never been back on that line for any extended period, no time with Draisaitl at all.

I'm fine with playing the long game on him. He didn't score 30 goals by accident, even this year where everything has gone wrong for him he's still on pace for about 17 goals. I suspect he's probably playing through an injury too that's hampering his skating because he didn't just leave a game for no reason earlier.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Well, you win some, you lose some. The team did not make play-offs the last 2 years. Holland managed to get them into a competitive spot with very few trade chips and almost no cap space, courtesy of Chiarelli's moves. Archibald, Sheahan, Nygard, Smith were very astute budget signings. Neal trade looks good, even if they have to move his contract after next year. Acquiring Athanasiou may be his worst move to date and the judgement is still out.
You cannot only credit holland for the team's success.

Yamamoto, Koskinen, Draisaitl signed cheap, drafting Bear, etc....that was not Holland's doing. Holland basically put the lipsticks on this fat pig. Remove yamamoto, bear and koskinen and how is this team looking?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You cannot only credit holland for the team's success.

Yamamoto, Koskinen, Draisaitl signed cheap, drafting Bear, etc....that was not Holland's doing. Holland basically put the lipsticks on this fat pig. Remove yamamoto, bear and koskinen and how is this team looking?
You are so remarkable full of sheet in these posts it's amazing. This argument is like suggesting if "Well if Draisaitl only have 70 points, where would they be then?"

So lets do some actual thinking.

Koskinen, Holland brings Smith in to play and compete with Koskinen. It's lessened Koskinen's work load, leading to a rest goalie down the stretch (and as an offshoot Koskinen is significantly better at handling the puck this year)

Bear is 2 fold from Holland, first he buys out Sekera creating some cap space and a roster space. He also hires a coach who see the value in Bear and give him the opportunity, Ethan Bear does the rest.

Yamamoto is a welcome surprise and it is fortunate for the team. It's also good judgement by Holland to waive Jurco when it clearly wasn't working, instead of keeping him in the NHL and trying to fit that square peg in the round hole. Also, the improvement to the team's overall depth let Yamamoto come in an player where he was best suited. And, again, he hired the coach who put these guys together, who gave a 5'6" rookie who had middling numbers in the AHL a chance to play with the NHL leading score to GREAT success.

Look I get it, you're miserable for miserable sake and you expound so much nonsense it's hard to keep track of.

Here's the reality. This team is 2nd in the Pacific on March 10, and Holland deserves a ton of credit for all it. And as to Athanasiou, he's still finding his way, stop trying to get ahead of writing him off like some kind of hero of miserable sheet.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
You are so remarkable full of sheet in these posts it's amazing. This argument is like suggesting if "Well if Draisaitl only have 70 points, where would they be then?"

So lets do some actual thinking.

Koskinen, Holland brings Smith in to play and compete with Koskinen. It's lessened Koskinen's work load, leading to a rest goalie down the stretch (and as an offshoot Koskinen is significantly better at handling the puck this year)

Bear is 2 fold from Holland, first he buys out Sekera creating some cap space and a roster space. He also hires a coach who see the value in Bear and give him the opportunity, Ethan Bear does the rest.

Yamamoto is a welcome surprise and it is fortunate for the team. It's also good judgement by Holland to waive Jurco when it clearly wasn't working, instead of keeping him in the NHL and trying to fit that square peg in the round hole. Also, the improvement to the team's overall depth let Yamamoto come in an player where he was best suited. And, again, he hired the coach who put these guys together, who gave a 5'6" rookie who had middling numbers in the AHL a chance to play with the NHL leading score to GREAT success.

Look I get it, you're miserable for miserable sake and you expound so much nonsense it's hard to keep track of.

Here's the reality. This team is 2nd in the Pacific on March 10, and Holland deserves a ton of credit for all it. And as to Athanasiou, he's still finding his way, stop trying to get ahead of writing him off like some kind of hero of miserable sheet.
Ok. So now it is because of Smith that Koskinen is this good. And yamamoto is a revelation because Jurco got waived. Great. So if Jurco never got waived, I guess Yamamoto will be a career AHLer or traded for scraps.

Bear was already on the team last season so now you are reaching for an excuse via sekera. So what else? Thank Holland for salvaging Mcdavid's career or it would have been sewered by Manning in the showers?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ok. So now it is because of Smith that Koskinen is this good. And yamamoto is a revelation because Jurco got waived. Great. So if Jurco never got waived, I guess Yamamoto will be a career AHLer or traded for scraps.

Bear was already on the team last season so now you are reaching for an excuse via sekera. So what else? Thank Holland for salvaging Mcdavid's career or it would have been sewered by Manning in the showers?
Bear was on the team last season?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I do see a comparable there with Puljujarvi. That doesn't bode well I suppose, but Nichushkin was in the same boat. It doesn't have to end up in failure.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I'm wondering now if Gagner wasn't a glue guy ala Maroon or Hendricks. I was thrilled with Holland's deadline but this team's chemistry has been completely out of whack since and I would personally trade AA back for Gagner in a heartbeat if I could.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm wondering now if Gagner wasn't a glue guy ala Maroon or Hendricks. I was thrilled with Holland's deadline but this team's chemistry has been completely out of whack since and I would personally trade AA back for Gagner in a heartbeat if I could.
no Gagner was good depth, but losing him has nothing to do with our team being bad. Even when things were better, the issues on the top line were still very serious.

What brought down the team were the injuries and illnesses to McDavid, Yamamoto, Klefbom and others. This was occurring before we added anyone.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Keep on defending the trade. Show yourself again in the summer in this thread and talk again.
You shouldn't show yourself until you start backing up your stuff.

"Bear was here last year so Sekera buyout meant nothing"

You might want to look that up, im sure your friends at calgarypuck might even help you.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Doesn't help that we've had almost zero practices with the new players.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Gagner actually looks like a player, during a contract year. Any other time, he's a useless snow pant.....how soon we forget....

AA looks like crap. We gave up 2 big draft picks and controlled salaries that go with them. I was worried when we made trade cause Steve y is sharp. I still believe in Holland and it's still early in trade I guess.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
no Gagner was good depth, but losing him has nothing to do with our team being bad. Even when things were better, the issues on the top line were still very serious.

What brought down the team were the injuries and illnesses to McDavid, Yamamoto, Klefbom and others. This was occurring before we added anyone.

They're all back and the team is looking worse than before. Theres been a decided switch to the team being less physically able, less pushing back. Ennis and AA by my looks are two non physical players that play a real light game. Really even guys like Khaira now in comparison are looking better than either. Neal looks better now by comparison. Chiasson looks better. Archie is obviously much better.

I guess one positive is the two additions make our incumbent supporting cast look better. heh, but then whats the point of the additions. I'm off and on with Ennis. I dislike AA obviously. Gagner could barely skate but somehow just having his vet presence around seemed to help more than its absence.

With Neal, Klef, McD back from injuries and Kass back from suspension the team should be the best its been. Yet...

Reactions: barry halls
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->