Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Andreas Athanasiou and Ryan Kuffner for Sam Gagner(10% retained), 2020 2nd and 2021 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They're all back and the team is looking worse than before. Theres been a decided switch to the team being less physically able, less pushing back. Ennis and AA by my looks are two non physical players that play a real light game. Really even guys like Khaira now in comparison are looking better than either. Neal looks better now by comparison. Chiasson looks better. Archie is obviously much better.

I guess one positive is the two additions make our incumbent supporting cast look better. heh, but then whats the point of the additions. I'm off and on with Ennis. I dislike AA obviously. Gagner could barely skate but somehow just having his vet presence around seemed to help more than its absence.

With Neal, Klef, McD back from injuries and Kass back from suspension the team should be the best its been. Yet...
Do we forget how bad archie looked when he was learning Tippet's system?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Do we forget how bad archie looked when he was learning Tippet's system?
AA is in the bottom six right now though, and players like Archibald took the route of getting scratched now and then if they weren't finding their place.

I don't think it is time to consider that for AA, but that's just my opinion. If AA gets scratched occasionally, it doesn't mean the end for him.

We also shouldn't make decisions on a player based on their salary or what assets we gave up for them. Do what is right.

I see a lot of AA critics magnifying his screw ups. The team is not playing well right now, and that makes it really hard for me to lay blame at AA. I'm frustrated with him too, but I think the best chance for him to be what we paid for him, is if he continues to play and build chemistry.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Gagner actually looks like a player, during a contract year. Any other time, he's a useless snow pant.....how soon we forget....

AA looks like crap. We gave up 2 big draft picks and controlled salaries that go with them. I was worried when we made trade cause Steve y is sharp. I still believe in Holland and it's still early in trade I guess.
Steve Yzerman probably told Holland that he helped Holland get to where he is now and therefore Holland deserves to be fleeced at least once to make it fair.

This board is really funny. There are so many Holland ass kissers. I still remembered when the Oilers had a few calls go their way in October and this "Holland Effect" thread pops out of nowhere. Now where's that Holland Effect nonsense? In January all the fans were crying about the penalties and just last week McDavid got called for a love tap behind his net and everyone was crying hard. That must be the real Holland Effect.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Steve Yzerman probably told Holland that he helped Holland get to where he is now and therefore Holland deserves to be fleeced at least once to make it fair.

This board is really funny. There are so many Holland ass kissers. I still remembered when the Oilers had a few calls go their way in October and this "Holland Effect" thread pops out of nowhere. Now where's that Holland Effect nonsense? In January all the fans were crying about the penalties and just last week McDavid got called for a love tap behind his net and everyone was crying hard. That must be the real Holland Effect.
I wasn't aware Yzerman was running the team while playing on it.

Back to the ignore list you go, losing brain cells trying to read your shit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

that first paragraph is pure nonsense.

As for the 2nd, there is an element to that in that Holland hasn't made a truly great move yet. You have to forgive Holland's supporters though, because he inherited very little cap space, and so his positive moves had to be subtle ones such as getting Archibald, Sheehan, Smith. To me, that looks great considering how important they are to our depth.

If your centerpiece for criticizing Holland is the AA trade... how can you do that while it is still playing itself out? Lou in Long Island traded a king's ransom for Pageau and that looks nightmarish atm, but by this time next week Pageau could be heating up. Don't judge on so few games

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

As for the 2nd, there is an element to that in that Holland hasn't made a truly great move yet. You have to forgive Holland's supporters though, because he inherited very little cap space, and so his positive moves had to be subtle ones such as getting Archibald, Sheehan, Smith. To me, that looks great considering how important they are to our depth.

If your centerpiece for criticizing Holland is the AA trade... how can you do that while it is still playing itself out? Lou in Long Island traded a king's ransom for Pageau and that looks nightmarish atm, but by this time next week Pageau could be heating up. Don't judge on so few games
All while praising the likes of Chiarelli and McTavish.

Do we forget the strome for spooner trade? Eberle for strome? Petry for nothing.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I will agree that chemistry might have taken somewhat of a hit since the deadline.

Gagner was well liked I think and he was a known quantity on the team... you knew (as did the coaches and his teammates) what you were getting with him... so shaking things up by bringing in Ennis/AA/Green likely does affect some team chemistry/bonding to some degree.

I haven't looked at all the stats of the other "major trades" from the deadline... but some have posted that they haven't done that well either so it's logical that new players sometimes take time to find their way on their new teams and no doubt sometimes chemistry is disrupted somewhat.

Players have been injured and coming and going from the lineup... Klefbom/Russell/Jones/Lagesson/Green just on D alone.

Up front they've had Neal/Granlund/Nygard/Kassian/Benson/Ennis/AA/McDavid/Cave all in and out at various times in the last month (with Nygard gone even longer).

That all has to be hard to develop chemistry and any real gelling of line/pairings with so much constant roster movement.

Not really excuses, but combine that with the current illnesses and you have a recipe for an inconsistent looking team.

The fact they are still in a fight for 1st in the Pacific is a pretty solid indicator that the team is at least competitive with the rest of the teams in their division with the possibility that when things (hopefully) stabilize on the roster... this team could do even better down the stretch and into the playoffs with some luck in the health department.

Reactions: barry halls

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
All while praising the likes of Chiarelli and McTavish.

Do we forget the strome for spooner trade? Eberle for strome? Petry for nothing.
No sure what you mean there. But if you bring those past GMs up, especially Chiarelli, I would point out that in Holland's defense even if AA is a total bust, the cost he paid was nothing compared to the pieces Chiarelli and McTavish were giving away.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No sure what you mean there. But if you bring those past GMs up, especially Chiarelli, I would point out that in Holland's defense even if AA is a total bust, the cost he paid was nothing compared to the pieces Chiarelli and McTavish were giving away.
I was comparing how that poster always props up those GM's to make them sound like they were good at their job, while trashing holland.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was comparing how that poster always props up those GM's to make them sound like they were good at their job, while trashing holland.
oh okay that makes sense. I suppose I could read back in the thread, but nah. Tbh I used to be vigilant about that kind of thing but nowadays I don't care that much and prefer to post impulsively

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Ok. So now it is because of Smith that Koskinen is this good. And yamamoto is a revelation because Jurco got waived. Great. So if Jurco never got waived, I guess Yamamoto will be a career AHLer or traded for scraps.

Bear was already on the team last season so now you are reaching for an excuse via sekera. So what else? Thank Holland for salvaging Mcdavid's career or it would have been sewered by Manning in the showers?
You're damn rights it's because of smith that kostko is looking this good. You can take it to the bank that the improvement in his glove hand and puck handling has far more to do with smith than Shwartzisname. May as well buy a smith jersey, He'll be back next year and when he is done as a player he will be the next goalie coach.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You're damn rights it's because of smith that kostko is looking this good. You can take it to the bank that the improvement in his glove hand and puck handling has far more to do with smith than Shwartzisname. May as well buy a smith jersey, He'll be back next year and when he is done as a player he will be the next goalie coach.
Kind of makes sense. Koskinen is a bit better with the puck I think

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I will agree that chemistry might have taken somewhat of a hit since the deadline.

Gagner was well liked I think and he was a known quantity on the team... you knew (as did the coaches and his teammates) what you were getting with him... so shaking things up by bringing in Ennis/AA/Green likely does affect some team chemistry/bonding to some degree.

I haven't looked at all the stats of the other "major trades" from the deadline... but some have posted that they haven't done that well either so it's logical that new players sometimes take time to find their way on their new teams and no doubt sometimes chemistry is disrupted somewhat.

Players have been injured and coming and going from the lineup... Klefbom/Russell/Jones/Lagesson/Green just on D alone.

Up front they've had Neal/Granlund/Nygard/Kassian/Benson/Ennis/AA/McDavid/Cave all in and out at various times in the last month (with Nygard gone even longer).

That all has to be hard to develop chemistry and any real gelling of line/pairings with so much constant roster movement.

Not really excuses, but combine that with the current illnesses and you have a recipe for an inconsistent looking team.

The fact they are still in a fight for 1st in the Pacific is a pretty solid indicator that the team is at least competitive with the rest of the teams in their division with the possibility that when things (hopefully) stabilize on the roster... this team could do even better down the stretch and into the playoffs with some luck in the health department.

The team has played almost exactly a game every 2nd night since the TDL. I think the lack of practice time and rest is the problem.
This reminds me of the slump in December where the lack of practice time caused the same issue...except this time they are getting stellar goaltending.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

That trade for Pageau is a greater joke, agreed. As for the additional 2nd, that was totally unnecessary. Yzerman can probably package the 2nd rounder with his first to move up a few more spots in each of the draft. He basically gave away a dispensible junk player for 2 2nd rounders which he can parlay for better assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad