Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Andreas Athanasiou and Ryan Kuffner for Sam Gagner(10% retained), 2020 2nd and 2021 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
AA gets squeezed off the puck easy and he's not hard on the puck at all.

As someone that wanted to acquire this player and still has hope that he will turn his game around, I agree 1000% with this. If he wants to become a big time player he needs to battle hard along the boards and everywhere on the ice for that matter. FWIW IMO McDavid has been particularly poor in this regard this season as well which maybe one of the reasons that they haven't clicked too much. As a matter of fact there aren't too many guys on our club that are willing to do whatever it takes to win those battles and it showed big time against Columbus. How ironic that it was Nuge winning a key board battle to get the puck to Kassian in the slot on the McDavid goal? That should be Kassian's bread and butter.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
My assumptions are wrong in the bolded when the NHL actually tracks and posts REAL stats based on sensors on players, their sticks, pucks etc, that can reliably demonstrate which players have the puck, how much they have the puck, where they have the puck. Until then right and wrong is not determined. Simple as that.

Now you're on "chances generated" stats which are also suspicious, subject to viewer bias, that don't have good interobserver reliability, are poorly defined, and are being applied in the most complex sport in hockey.

But even if everything you said above was true the Obtaining AA to be just another player that doesn't move dials in any way could just be a not great use of 2 2nd round picks. Not concluding that, maybe the upside is worth it. But its 7 games and for a production player AA isn't producing much.

Would love to see a list of what "chances" he's generated and what is included in that list. Is it a scoring chance everytime he passes the puck to Nurse? Is it really? Nurse has 5 goals all year.

Is this satire?

cheers to @nexttothemoon for finding real stats that debunk the arguments of those that are treating AA the same way they did Yamamoto up until very recently.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm frustrated with how the coaching staff has used Athanasiou. You can't expect a player to get acclimated to a new team by putting him on a new line every game and shuffling mid game. He and McDavid have had there moments together, let them build a bit of chemistry down the stretch here. I really don't understand what the thought process is. Just killing this guys confidence at the wrong time.

Tippett doesn't trust him to play big minutes against tough matchups so he put him in a softer minutes role on the 3rd line. This is a playoff stretch so Tippett is going to go with the guys he trusts the most on the top lines. It isn't about catering to the player, it's about doing what's best for the team and AA quite simply hasn't earned the trust of his coach enough to keep his spot on the top line.

In the meantime, AA will have to work hard to work his way back up the lineup again. Kassian got the bump after some good games on the 3rd line and Ennis kept his spot because he works hard and wins some puck battles even though the offense has dried up.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Tippett doesn't trust him to play big minutes against tough matchups so he put him in a softer minutes role on the 3rd line. This is a playoff stretch so Tippett is going to go with the guys he trusts the most on the top lines. It isn't about catering to the player, it's about doing what's best for the team and AA quite simply hasn't earned the trust of his coach enough to keep his spot on the top line.

In the meantime, AA will have to work hard to work his way back up the lineup again. Kassian got the bump after some good games on the 3rd line and Ennis kept his spot because he works hard and wins some puck battles even though the offense has dried up.
We are in the middle of heated playoff battle, Holland said himself this isn’t the time to try things, and said it’s not like AA has training camp to find where he fits. Holland said one of the main reasons he picked him up was that he is versatile and can slide up and down the lineup.

Regardless of how’s he’s played, in a very small sample size, he’s under team protection next year and has speed and skill, something we lack on our wings. We didn’t give up any major assets and it’s only been a few games!

For reference, Tampa traded a first and, arguably, their top prospect for Coleman, he has 1 assist in 8 games

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Regardless of how’s he’s played, in a very small sample size, he’s under team protection next year and has speed and skill, something we lack on our wings. We didn’t give up any major assets and it’s only been a few games!

I would argue that two seconds are pretty major assets. I feel like if you traded two seconds at the draft you could land a pretty substantial player. So if AA doesn't come around, this would be a pretty big miss.

On the plus side the guy is even in 7 games with the Oilers after going almost a minus per game with the Wings.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
As someone that wanted to acquire this player and still has hope that he will turn his game around, I agree 1000% with this. If he wants to become a big time player he needs to battle hard along the boards and everywhere on the ice for that matter. FWIW IMO McDavid has been particularly poor in this regard this season as well which maybe one of the reasons that they haven't clicked too much. As a matter of fact there aren't too many guys on our club that are willing to do whatever it takes to win those battles and it showed big time against Columbus. How ironic that it was Nuge winning a key board battle to get the puck to Kassian in the slot on the McDavid goal? That should be Kassian's bread and butter.

What's your opinion on the other player in the deal--Ryan Kuffner? Was he the sleeper in the trade that made Holland think that it would be worth 2 second rounders?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's your opinion on the other player in the deal--Ryan Kuffner? Was he the sleeper in the trade that made Holland think that it would be worth 2 second rounders?

Not sure, he has 2 assists in 4 games down there and is young enough that he might have some NHL potential.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Not sure, he has 2 assists in 4 games down there and is young enough that he might have some NHL potential.

Yeah, there isn't too much information on him. He did pretty well in the Ivy league but that's a long way from the NHL.

I am trying to remember a player from that college league who had any significant impact with the Oilers--no one comes immediately to mind?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah, there isn't too much information on him. He did pretty well in the Ivy league but that's a long way from the NHL.

I am trying to remember a player from that college league who had any significant impact with the Oilers--no one comes immediately to mind?
I think he’s quite similar to a Cooper Marody (before he fell off the map) level of player. Not a great skater, works hard, actually has a pretty good shot.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He's a project. Have to Tippett him up.

As was shown at the beginning of the season, it can take a while with some players.

Reactions: npanciroli

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Marchant went to Clarkson.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
That is why your opinion of him is bias. To think he's better than JP now is absurd. From a value perspective, JP is more of an asset than AA. AA is like airline stocks right now, a plummeting piece of work that will be waiver wire material next season.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
That is why your opinion of him is bias. To think he's better than JP now is absurd. From a value perspective, JP is more of an asset than AA. AA is like airline stocks right now, a plummeting piece of work that will be waiver wire material next season.

I don't think he's the one who's absurd...

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Are you talking about Athanasiou? What in the actual **** are you talking about. He's struggled in his time so far, however he's better NHL player then Puljujarvi has ever been.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Are you talking about Athanasiou? What in the actual **** are you talking about. He's struggled in his time so far, however he's better NHL player then Puljujarvi has ever been.

I'd rather have Puljujarvi statistically and eye test comparing their most recent nhl seasons.

Comparing their best seasons of course you take AA.

Even with the overall advantage AA has statistically to date I would think that IF Puljujarvi gets back to the NHL he could have a better nhl career.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd rather have Puljujarvi statistically and eye test comparing their most recent nhl seasons.

Even with the overall advantage AA has statistically to date I would think that IF Puljujarvi gets back to the NHL he could have a better nhl career.
He could IF he ever comes back in the future, I would rather have the NHL player on my team.

Edit: Because regardless of the "could", only one of these players IS an NHL player.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think he’s quite similar to a Cooper Marody (before he fell off the map) level of player. Not a great skater, works hard, actually has a pretty good shot.
Very similar guys, both guys are potential NHLers but probably good 4th liners at best. Which there is absolutely nothing wrong with

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I think you guys need to stop giving the troll attention. If you ignore it, it will go away eventually.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Based on what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad