Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 5 - IT'S OVAH - Tampa Bay ends the Bruins season

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
full

Figured I’d do the stats one last time to wrap everything up.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Got

True . Tim was far too politically incorrect for the Mass minions?

He wasn't politically incorrect, he was just incorrect. But more importantly, he left Boston. Boston didn't leave him.

Don't think it matters anymore anyways as he'd be told old for the 2018 season, so irrelevant to talk about Rask

I thought Rask gave them a chance against Tampa, the team just wasn't very good and Tampa had a completely healthy and dialed in team. I'd be very upset if they lost if I was a bolts fan.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It was a great season that was a huge surprise to me. Never expected this team to be one of the top teams and to seriously throw around the idea of a Cup challenge this season. That’s insane and I have a hard time being that disappointed things ended in the 2nd round. With the new playoff format we’re gonna have to get used to losing good teams early. I was so calm yesterday, I barely knew myself.

No shame going out to a team like Tampa that are stacked in every position and were expected to be a Cup contender. I think the effects of injuries and fatigue just hit us at the worst time and was responsible for a lot. Tampa were just too good to be a tired, hurting Bruins team.

I think there’s a lot to be excited for in the coming years for the Bruins. The top line are locked in for years with beautiful contracts and the youth have been outstanding with more to come. There are some concerns obviously but to me the good far outweighs the bad at the moment.

This was one of the best seasons and one of the most likeable teams I can remember.

Well said @Hali33 :clap:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
full

Figured I’d do the stats one last time to wrap everything up.

Interesting that the PK was that low, with the multiple players they had this year that are solid defenders you'd figure it to be much better than that

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
True.....If Sweeney knew Miller was available, why did we not get that package of JT and McD....

Would have cost you DeBrusk. Remember Namestnikov was in there too. As was a guy like Howden who is the equivalent of Frederic. So

DeBrusk, Frederic, lindgren, 1st and possible second 1st for McDonagh and jt Miller or the deal we did for Nash, which was a first and lindgren plus spare parts.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
When Carlo went down we were screwed. We all knew it. He had been playing great for the last month.
Missing him and McAvoy playing at 50% are the main reason why we went 7 with Toronto and why we didnt win the division.

If both those guys are 100% , we are golden.
I also think Spooner wouldve done more than Rick Nash.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
i was remarkably calm after the loss, i guess i knew it was coming. it was too bad for them to play their worst hockey of the season in the playoffs. bolts got to them and got them rattled. they never got that 5 on 5 moment to get them back in stride. i blame exhaustion, as majority of here have said. the big guns were relied on a lot and they are also our older guys who have the most games on their legs and it showed. still, this was easily the most exciting season to watch in a long time.. looking forward to the future.. just wish cassidy stuck with heinen. instead of putting in tough guys that were not quick enough to be tough. and they knew it, if they had gone for a hit, it puts them 15 seconds more behind the play. tampa bay got confidence quickly, while the bruins confidence wained quickly. hated the marchand drama, loved the young guys stepping up, going to be interesting watching the changing of the leaders throughout the next couple of the years . looking forward to it! palat was a beast, kucherov and paquette were b*****s, still , a much more likeable team than the leafs. Nash, (rick) is getting a lot of well deserved crap, but i completely understand why sweeney did it, i personally hated it, but i understand why.. i just hope he learns that always going for the big name isnt necessarily the right thing to do.. summer time will fly by as it always does and soon we will be back into it! good season everybody

Reactions: Andrew83

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It wasn't just their D-men who were playing strong and physical. Their forwards freaking brought it. Callahan/Paquette/Kucherov/Palat had 19 hits today (6/4/4/5). No Bruin forward had more than 2. Really pathetic given that TB's game has dropped off noticeably this season when they are getting hit.

How can you hit when their Ds couldn't be caught or made quick passes out of their D zone

In turn , how hard is it to hit Chara or Miller or Mcquaid?? Especially Chara...

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It wasn't just their D-men who were playing strong and physical. Their forwards freaking brought it. Callahan/Paquette/Kucherov/Palat had 19 hits today (6/4/4/5). No Bruin forward had more than 2. Really pathetic given that TB's game has dropped off noticeably this season when they are getting hit.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the hits stat is kept by the home team's statisticians, and is usually (heavily) weighted toward the home team. Partly because it's such a subjective stat. This is definitely one place where you want to NOT rely on the stats, but should use the eye test. Early in the series, the eye test for me showed Tampa outhitting the B's pretty significantly. I thought it evened out in the latter parts of the series. Giving the Tampa forwards 2-3 times as many hits is exactly that - giving it to them - while not giving it to the Bruins forwards.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think mismatch in physicality was a huge factor in this series but it wasn’t hitting that was the problem.

It was being on the losing side of too many puck battles, as well as losing the battle for prime scoring areas on either end of the ice.

Reactions: bluetib

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016
Tampa was the better team. Hurts but true. Disappointed in Cassidy's lack of in game and game to game adjustments. Chara did not have a good series. Tuukka was decent but could not come up with the big saves when they really needed them (yes, I went there). I am concerned because there does not appear to be a good goalie in the pipeline. The inconsistent/poor play started the last week of the regular season and carried over. Gryz made mistakes but he is young and that is part of learning. Thought Kuraly played really well the whole series. Rick Nash lived up to his playoff reputation--won't be sorry to see him go. Since coming back from the concussion, Riley Nash was a ghost--don't think he should be resigned. Backes 3 points in 12 games. I don't think his "leadership" makes up for that. I loved Backes when he played for St. Louis but have been very underwhelmed with him as a Bruin. Have to admit, I was happy when the Bruins signed him but I was also happy when they signed Beleskey and Jimmy Hayes (embarrassed to admit this). I don't want Sweeney to sign any veterans with the possible exception of a D. His scouting of veterans is apparently as bad as mine. I was thrilled with the secondary scoring this year during the regular season, not so much in the playoffs. A one line team does not go far. DeBrusk looked really good until he got hurt. Somewhat disappointed in Marchand's play the last couple of games. Krug defensively is what he is. Kevin Miller improved a lot from last season but was not good in the playoffs. Glad Donato got some playoff experience. I think the Bruins have a lot of good young players that will be competing for jobs in the upcoming season.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
More hammers ok, but why would you want fewer nails, I want both
what do you think nails are in this analogy? I'm not talking about scorers or finesse players.

I'm talking about the guys who always seem to be on the receiving end of hits and shrink because of it.

I thought guys like Schaller & Acciari were hammers but they were definitely nails getting hammered and not doing any hammering of their own in this series.

Reactions: bluetib

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
what do you think nails are in this analogy? I'm not talking about scorers or finesse players.

I'm talking about the guys who always seem to be on the receiving end of hits and shrink because of it.

I thought guys like Schaller & Acciari were hammers but they were definitely nails getting hammered and not doing any hammering of their own in this series.

Ok , in that analogy that you are using, definitely more hammers , less nails.

I was quite shocked to see that some pretty averaged sized players were having there way with the Bruins and what was even more shocking was that there was no push back at all.IDK, I suspect that Tampa was a much more rested team and had energy the Bruins just couldn't match.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I didn't see them making it this far

Figured playoff bubble team... once Carlo went down, knew we were skating on thin ice.

Just glad we beat those blue and white idiots... I know a lot of leaf fans and they are decent and know their shit for the most part... but on this board there is a pocket of leaf fans who are just insufferable.

To alter a song lyric by the Canadian band Sloan "It's not the band I hate it's their fans".... "It's not the leafs I hate, it's their fans"

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
You can trade anyone, if the return is right.

Trading March at this point would be catastrophic... he is the best player on this team and the likelihood we'd get a return close to his value is almost nill.
Looking back at a most recent trade where a high profile player of ours i.e.Seguin was traded...how that work out for us ?. This is why i was totally angered by the seguin trade right from the start because it is still affecting us today..
Say seg would still be at rw
March berg pastr
Donato krejci seguin
Or. The option of putting Seg at centrr
And moving krejci to the 3rd line
Thats what depth does...Trading March at this point would set us back even further.. Now if the team would be going nowhere and Bruins mgmt decide to rebuild and that would mean sacrifing a few years then trade all the vets not just March...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad