ECQF: Columbus Defeats Tampa Bay 4-0

Should Cooper be fired?

• Total voters

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
People really don't know the difference between a choke and an upset.

They choked under the massive pressure of backing up their 62 win season, which lead to an upset. I’m still in disbelief.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I can only imagine what the posts would have been like on here when Tampa went up 3-0 in the first period of Game 1.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Congratulations Jackets fans. Best of luck in the later rounds.

Team showed a ton of character and guts.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Would have been nice to have a healthy Hedman and Stralman for this series... and don't give me the Columbus was missing their D-men too line.. Columbus does not have a comparable D-man to Hedman.
gvhefuo.png

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Vasilevskiy stats from the playoffs (with rankings out of the 17 keepers who have played):

Shots against/60:
26.51 - Third fewest

High Danger shots/60
5.86 - Second fewest

Exepected Goals against/60:
1.75 - Fewest in the first round

Actual Goals against:
3.82 - Second worst

Save %:
.856 - Second worst

GSAA/60:
-1.55 - Second worst

Even if you dont like advanced stats, thats not the same keeper from the regular season.

Vasi wasn't good. He was beatable low blocker and he tended to crouch way too low when he couldn't see. But you also have to give the Jackets credit, and the Lightning skaters some discredit. Vasi couldn't see a large portion of the shots sent his way. Bob saw almost everything. The Jackets just dominated the middle of the ice. It seems the expected goals stat can't factor that in.

I'd add that there were also some pronounced score effects going on, with the Jackets holding the lead for about 8 of the last 9 periods, and getting seemingly higher quality but less frequent attacks.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Vasi wasn't good. He was beatable low blocker and he tended to crouch way too low when he couldn't see. But you also have to give the Jackets credit, and the Lightning skaters some discredit. Vasi couldn't see a large portion of the shots sent his way. Bob saw almost everything. The Jackets just dominated the middle of the ice. It seems the expected goals stat can't factor that in.

I'd add that there were also some pronounced score effects going on, with the Jackets holding the lead for about 8 of the last 9 periods, and getting seemingly higher quality but less frequent attacks.

Yea, thats where the Lightning shooting 6% instead of 12% comes in. Cant buy a goal and start giving up chances and the other team makes you pay.

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
The amount of pressure on Tampa is what killed them. When you're expected to go to the cup final before the first round even starts is a ton of pressure. Not to mention Columbus is tough team to face right out the gate, with all the talent that they have. CBJ on paper is a nasty squad, and no one really gave them much credit. It seems like the teams that excel in the playoffs are the ones that coast in the regular season. Probably because they're under the radar and expections aren't as high.

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
If I was TB I wouldn't even touch the roster and just try again next season. That team is too good to f*** with. Maybe a couple minimal changes.

The same thing happened with Washington but they kept at it and eventually won a cup.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not to mention Columbus is tough team to face right out the gate, with all the talent that they have. CBJ on paper is a nasty squad, and no one really gave them much credit. It seems like the teams that excel in the playoffs are the ones that coast in the regular season. Probably because they're under the radar and expections aren't as high.

Maybe 'coast' isn't the word you meant to use, because it's not what the Jackets did this year. They legit struggled with systems and chemistry right until the last two weeks of the year. They had to fight like hell to overcome their problems and barely squeak in.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
A simple case of the underdog wanting it more. Jackets outplayed the Bolts across the board.

Well done. :clap:

claireb04

Apr 3, 2017
I am just in shock about this result and am happy for Columbus. First playoff series ever won for the franchise and they beat the best team in the league in the process. A historically great team. I'm a Ranger fan, but I cannot imagine how the Lightning fans are feeling right now. Hockey can be brutal. This one was extraordinarily brutal. I feel for them, even if I'm happy for Columbus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad