ECQF: Columbus Defeats Tampa Bay 4-0

Should Cooper be fired?

• Total voters

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It's nice that you think that, but not until we had a 3-0 series lead did people even think we had a chance. When we were up 2-0 everyone pointed and laughed and referenced our series against Washington last year when we blew a 2-0 lead. So after the fact it's easy to say we weren't David, but where were you at the beginning of the series?

Again, saying the same thing. Not on the main boards because I don't trek here that often....but if people were still laughing when the CBJ were up 2-0 I don't think it was Lightning fans. They've had their fair share of choke jobs and I'm sure they were sweating every second of it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So this thread has been reduced to 1 Isles fan trying to tell Blue Jackets fans their series wasn't what everyone else says it was, and to not be excited about going forward.

Oh, and 1 Lightning fan still making up excuses about how his team lost.

Got it :facepalm:

No, it's boiled down to one dramatic CBJ fan putting words in other people's mouths, because I definitely didn't say that.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Well done! You were in the extreme minority. I hope you made some money .. I would expect that most of the HF Boards hot takes are non-CBJ fans who now see Tampa is not in their team's way to the cup now...Caps/Leafs/Boston fans thinking "all we have to do is beat the lowly Jackets now"..... it's easy to discount the upset after the series is over, but TB was -400 favorites to win the series (next closest was Calgary at -220 over Avs) and not one major sports "expert" picked CBJ to win the series or even last 6 games ...this was TSN website the day the playoffs started:

56837301_10214331983676957_4429784708808704000_n.jpg

Okay, and there are under dogs every series. Every 1-8 seed is an underdog. I don't see the press going nuts that Colorado got past Calgary, quite convincingly. There are just a few factors exaggerating this win for CBJ. One, it's the first series win in franchise history.....that's enough to get any franchise jacked, secondly Tampa had an ungodly record breaking regular season. Ignoring those two factors and just looking at the teams on paper, the difference was not miles apart. That's all I'm saying. This is not some beat down that belongs in the annals of history with the other great underdog stories. Neither is the Isles sweep for the record.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ignoring those two factors and just looking at the teams on paper, the difference was not miles apart. That's all I'm saying. This is not some beat down that belongs in the annals of history with the other great underdog stories. Neither is the Isles sweep for the record.

I think you're right that the Jackets had a much better roster than people were thinking. But this absolutely goes into the annals of history as both a beat down and a great underdog story. I don't think you can just leave aside Tampa's record. If this doesn't count then what counts?

And of course the Isles sweep is not even an underdog story to begin with, they had the fifth best record in the league.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think you're right that the Jackets had a much better roster than people were thinking. But this absolutely goes into the annals of history as both a beat down and a great underdog story. I don't think you can just leave aside Tampa's record. If this doesn't count then what counts?

And of course the Isles sweep is not even an underdog story to begin with, they had the fifth best record in the league.

Except plenty of experts gave Pittsburgh the edge in the series. People keep missing the point. It's not about experts, it's not about what they think.

Tampa's record counts for the President's trophy. That's what it counts for. You know the common expression that the NHL has two seasons, and they are vastly different. Some would argue that winning the president's trophy is more difficult than the Stanley Cup. I'm not sure about that, but I can say that it favors deep teams. The race of Lord Stanley's Cup is quite different. I don't think the regular season counts much at all for that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Except plenty of experts gave Pittsburgh the edge in the series. People keep missing the point. It's not about experts, it's not about what they think.

Tampa's record counts for the President's trophy. That's what it counts for. You know the common expression that the NHL has two seasons, and they are vastly different. Some would argue that winning the president's trophy is more difficult than the Stanley Cup. I'm not sure about that, but I can say that it favors deep teams. The race of Lord Stanley's Cup is quite different. I don't think the regular season counts much at all for that.

Okay you have an odd perspective. That's fine.

So what were the actual underdog stories where they beatdown the top team? If this one doesn't count, which ones do?

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Okay, and there are under dogs every series. Every 1-8 seed is an underdog. I don't see the press going nuts that Colorado got past Calgary, quite convincingly. There are just a few factors exaggerating this win for CBJ. One, it's the first series win in franchise history.....that's enough to get any franchise jacked, secondly Tampa had an ungodly record breaking regular season. Ignoring those two factors and just looking at the teams on paper, the difference was not miles apart. That's all I'm saying. This is not some beat down that belongs in the annals of history with the other great underdog stories. Neither is the Isles sweep for the record.

Is this your issue? Are the Isles getting ignored? Pens fans were relieved they could quietly exit the Stanley Cup Playoff backdoor while Tampa takes a public beating, but Isles aren't getting their accolades for sweeping Pens. It's not the Jackets fans hurting you man. We don't control the national media.

Was it an impossible win? No. Were the Jackets underestimated? I think so. However, Jackets fans do have every right to be patting themselves on the back. Not because it was bringing down Tampa, but because they've stuck out 19 years of shit hockey to finally see a playoff series win. Let them enjoy it for a couple weeks. They have earned it. Their season may be over next week then the shit storm returns with Bob and Panarin leaving and maybe another long playoff drought. FFS you lost Tavares last year and should be last one trying to rain on the Jackets fans excitement. Seriously, if you knew half the crap the Jackets fans have endured the last two decades, you'd just walk away. No one's been a dick here (other than TB fans prior to the series began.)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They're going to have at least 8 days between games in the playoffs which is absurd.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
CBJ fans need to come back down to earth. Your team was stacked....and the only reason you limped into the playoffs is because there was still a chemistry issue. It's not a miracle that a team with Brobovsky, Panarin, Duchene and Werenski got a first round sweep, regardless of the opponent. Sure, it's an upset and Tampa was also stacked, but let's not act like CBJ was a major underdog here. They beefed up at the trade deadline and they were a stacked team that should have done well. They were an eighth seed because of under-performing, not lack of talent. CBJ fans need to be careful not to break their arms patting their backs.

Folks are blowing this way out of proportion.
If Tampa had won they would have been patting their backs too, because the Jackets are so stacked .. right?

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I was thinking this whole time it was great that Tor-Bos are playing a longer series.

Except both teams are mostly healthy and going through a playoff grind, while CBJ has been resting for, basically too long.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I was thinking this whole time it was great that Tor-Bos are playing a longer series.

Except both teams are mostly healthy and going through a playoff grind, while CBJ has been resting for, basically too long.
I think the challenge for CBJ in this big layoff is what Bob do we all see when we finally see them play again.

I’d imagine the regular ice players start up again after maybe a bit of rust. Bob was lights out in Tampa series. A little rust on him could go either way. In a perfect world for CBJ Bob was right back on the horse right away.

If Leafs win Game 7 I’m hoping for super Bob is still in play. If B’s win Game 7 I’m hoping that first period Tampa Series Bob is back for good.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I think the challenge for CBJ in this big layoff is what Bob do we all see when we finally see them play again.

I’d imagine the regular ice players start up again after maybe a bit of rust. Bob was lights out in Tampa series. A little rust on him could go either way. In a perfect world for CBJ Bob was right back on the horse right away.

If Leafs win Game 7 I’m hoping for super Bob is still in play. If B’s win Game 7 I’m hoping that first period Tampa Series Bob is back for good.

The series was as much of a team win as much as it was Bobrovsky. In my opinion he was a bit soft for at least 1-2 goals in game 1 and CBJ just took over and deflated TB(with an injured top pairing) apart from a few late spurts in the series.

I liked Columbus play against Toronto more than Boston in the regular season, then again after watching that TB-CBJ series its pretty apparent how meaningless that can be.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
That's fair, but I am saying this more to the world rather than just HF. A lot of armchair bloggers are going nuts, and I just think it's a little bit blown out of proportion here. This wasn't a David vs. Goliath beatdown by even a percentage point. The CBJ had much more talent than their record showed. I was the one on our own boards telling people not to count out CBJ and they are still finding chemistry with the new adds. I told my fellow Isles fans they would be dangerous if they do get that chemistry in sync.

Got a link to those posts?

Reactions: CPTN71

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Is this your issue? Are the Isles getting ignored? Pens fans were relieved they could quietly exit the Stanley Cup Playoff backdoor while Tampa takes a public beating, but Isles aren't getting their accolades for sweeping Pens. It's not the Jackets fans hurting you man. We don't control the national media.

Was it an impossible win? No. Were the Jackets underestimated? I think so. However, Jackets fans do have every right to be patting themselves on the back. Not because it was bringing down Tampa, but because they've stuck out 19 years of **** hockey to finally see a playoff series win. Let them enjoy it for a couple weeks. They have earned it. Their season may be over next week then the **** storm returns with Bob and Panarin leaving and maybe another long playoff drought. FFS you lost Tavares last year and should be last one trying to rain on the Jackets fans excitement. Seriously, if you knew half the crap the Jackets fans have endured the last two decades, you'd just walk away. No one's been a dick here (other than TB fans prior to the series began.)

I very clearly stated what it was. You don't agree with it fine, but to come up with some ulterior conspiracy motives because I don't "think" the way you do is ill-advised. Makes you look foolish. The second part in bold I absolutely agree with. Again, and I am pretty sure I'm typing this in English. Maybe folks translate programs are messing it up, I'm talking about the way the press is blowing this out of proportion and making it seem like some epic underdog story. I said nothing about being excited about winning a playoff series. In fact, most people I'm addressing are those who aren't fans that are claiming this is some David Vs. Goliath felling. Sure the fans can have their excitement, but it doesn't need to be at the expense of the Bolts.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If Tampa had won they would have been patting their backs too, because the Jackets are so stacked .. right?

I'm pretty sure they would have been happy to escape a much harder 1-8 matchup that doesn't happen too often. Lightning have had quite a bit more first round successes so I don't think they would have been that quick to congratulate themselves as they have loftier goals in mind. Now I don't say that as a sleight against CBJ, and of course they can celebrate making it to the second round in the first time in franchise history. It's historic for them and worth jubilation, just not at the expense of the Lightning and under the guise that it was some epic underdog victory.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Got a link to those posts?

I'm not sure the best way to search for it. It's buried deep in our News Around the NHL/AHL/KHL thread. I can tell you the gist of it. Some of our fans were talking about CBJ going all in and I told them that I had respect for the GM for having the stones to do it, but I'll feel sorry for him if it doesn't pay off. Then, some fans talked about the losing streak CBJ went on shortly after the trades and how Duchene was awful and they made a mistake. That's when I told them I had watched the last two games and even though they lost I thought Duchene was one of the best players on the ice for them in those games. I didn't think it was Duchene's fault. Then I said that after trades it takes time to find consistency and chemistry and that if CBJ does get it they will be a real threat.

I'm not familiar the best way to search my own comments on these boards, but if you tell me how I'll try to track it down.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
We always knew the Jackets had a good team on paper but they didn't really seem to click and goaltending was inconsistent.

That said, Bob had stretches where he was near unbeatable and they defeated some good teams in the process

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'm not sure the best way to search for it. It's buried deep in our News Around the NHL/AHL/KHL thread. I can tell you the gist of it. Some of our fans were talking about CBJ going all in and I told them that I had respect for the GM for having the stones to do it, but I'll feel sorry for him if it doesn't pay off. Then, some fans talked about the losing streak CBJ went on shortly after the trades and how Duchene was awful and they made a mistake. That's when I told them I had watched the last two games and even though they lost I thought Duchene was one of the best players on the ice for them in those games. I didn't think it was Duchene's fault. Then I said that after trades it takes time to find consistency and chemistry and that if CBJ does get it they will be a real threat.

I'm not familiar the best way to search my own comments on these boards, but if you tell me how I'll try to track it down.

On the top right of this page, click in the search box. Put in your search term, like Columbus or Blue Jackets or CBJ. In the box below that one is search by member, type in your nick LeapOnOver and hit the search button. It will return every post you've made with those keywords.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
On the top right of this page, click in the search box. Put in your search term, like Columbus or Blue Jackets or CBJ. In the box below that one is search by member, type in your nick LeapOnOver and hit the search button. It will return every post you've made with those keywords.

News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19 Pt. IV Post 321. And the ones where I was giving the GM props for having stones to make the trades was earlier. I never stated they would be a threat, but I still thought that. I mentioned chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad