ECQF: Columbus Defeats Tampa Bay 4-0

Should Cooper be fired?

• Total voters

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
On a more serious note – where they go to from this?

This is what I'm struggling with as a third-party observer. What on earth do you do with that roster to improve? Honestly, keeping it all mostly together and taking another shot next year (hoping they learned a valuable lesson this year) might be the best bet.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I don't know if there is much you can change with the roster. A coaching change is certainly possible, but you almost have to hope you achieve the same regular season success and somehow figure out how to grind through playoff wins.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Still doesn't change my opinion of Panarin's clown show move. A black mark on an otherwise glorious hockey game - and story.
Maybe one of his teammates will clue him the importance of the handshake line. It's one of the coolest things in sports and its tradition should be respected as such.

Heres the thing: a surprisingly high percentage of hockey fans on this forum defend Breads handshake and simply "dont get it". Thats quite alarming.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
This is what I'm struggling with as a third-party observer. What on earth do you do with that roster to improve? Honestly, keeping it all mostly together and taking another shot next year (hoping they learned a valuable lesson this year) might be the best bet.
They probably need to go out and get a Josh Anderson or Tom Wilson type.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Fair enough... CBJ took it to the Lightning. No one is disputing that. Good for them, they live to play another round. However, Torts does not have another Cooper to outcoach so I am sure the 2nd round will be it for Columbus. Then, Panarin, Dzingel, Bobrovsky, and Duchene will all be gonzo... enjoy it while it lasts.
Lame chirp.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Did Toronto ever win 62?

CBJ fans need to come back down to earth. Your team was stacked....and the only reason you limped into the playoffs is because there was still a chemistry issue. It's not a miracle that a team with Brobovsky, Panarin, Duchene and Werenski got a first round sweep, regardless of the opponent. Sure, it's an upset and Tampa was also stacked, but let's not act like CBJ was a major underdog here. They beefed up at the trade deadline and they were a stacked team that should have done well. They were an eighth seed because of under-performing, not lack of talent. CBJ fans need to be careful not to break their arms patting their backs.

Folks are blowing this way out of proportion.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Stay baffled. :rolleyes:

You obviously missed the threads for G1 & G2. It was dominated by a group of 4-5 Tampa fans running off at the mouth. Nonstop. To the point where it was impossible for the rest of us to have any meaningful discussion regarding the game/series.

No biggie though, they're nowhere to be found now :D

Obviously, but guess what you guys look like now :sarcasm:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Heres the thing: a surprisingly high percentage of hockey fans on this forum defend Breads handshake and simply "dont get it". Thats quite alarming.

This, the people complaining about it have no idea. Panarin and Kucherov are countrymen and friends. They know each others' personality. If Panarin thought it would have been offensive to Kucherov he wouldn't have done it, and you can tell by Kucherov's body language he was disappointed, but that is his bud and it's all good. I've read article after article and it's ridiculous that people keep bringing it up.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
This, the people complaining about it have no idea. Panarin and Kucherov are countrymen and friends. They know each others' personality. If Panarin thought it would have been offensive to Kucherov he wouldn't have done it, and you can tell by Kucherov's body language he was disappointed, but that is his bud and it's all good. I've read article after article and it's ridiculous that people keep bringing it up.
Would love to listen to Panarin-Kucherov exchange, and also to Lehner-Hornqvist one.

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
No argument from me. I'm the Commisioner of ANY sport, an illegal play injures somebody, until the player hurt returns to action, the guy responsible sits - a few minutes, a few games, or forever. And Kucherov's cheap shot certainly qualifies. Play dirty, pay the consequences.

Still doesn't change my opinion of Panarin's clown show move. A black mark on an otherwise glorious hockey game - and story.
Maybe one of his teammates will clue him the importance of the handshake line. It's one of the coolest things in sports and its tradition should be respected as such.

On bolded - get him excuse for poor knowledge your traditions of handshake line. Nevertheless they both are of different culture than you, and both are teammates, so you cant make the ethic conclusions. And he does not give hugs for not Russian players, havent seen one.

Just for reference in 2016 SLB won over Chicago, and here you can see the similar situation - Panarins handshake with Tarasenko (link). Panarins team is the one that lost. NOBODY SAID IT WAS A CLOWN SHOW MOVE by Tarasenko.... I would not be surprised that they say Kucherov is a strange guy back in Russia as he cant get a hug by a friend and lets his emotions wild ... On the contrary, in Russia they consider it is cool to learn to take defeat with pride and dignity.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
People really put way too much into the handshake. I figure they are ultra jingoistic and still think wrestling is real.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
My goodness! We've become Jerry Springer like, Drama-queened, and have become "soft as butter" within today's society. To think, this is happening between fans concerning in a NHL type environment. What chance does the outside world stand if this is so? This handshake seems to be just a moment between two friends, with the one friend giving the other one some shade after coming on top. Nothing more, nothing less. This happens on every basketball court, soccer field, football field, Ice, and even on fields across from someone's house. Who hasn't had that moment with the a friend after some one-on-one hoops?

Panarin doesn't seem ill-willed with his intentions, and Kucherov seems a little aggravated, but who wouldn't be after having a record season, and you're all-the-sudden done the next 6 days? I'd be more concerned and upset if Kucherov wasn't showing that he cared about the situation. This Lightning fan has no problem with what Panarin did or how Kucherov reacted. Now, to avoid any misunderstanding in the future; Panarin would be best served to get a better understanding of NHL traditions, and save that kind of friendly dis, for when Kucherov and him are away from a scared moment for some. Plus, I think this was Panarin first playoff series win so he's new with being on the winning side of it all. He'll learn from this and realize there's a time and place for everything.....

Congrats Columbus, enjoy the playoff run

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
CBJ fans need to come back down to earth. Your team was stacked....and the only reason you limped into the playoffs is because there was still a chemistry issue. It's not a miracle that a team with Brobovsky, Panarin, Duchene and Werenski got a first round sweep, regardless of the opponent. Sure, it's an upset and Tampa was also stacked, but let's not act like CBJ was a major underdog here. They beefed up at the trade deadline and they were a stacked team that should have done well. They were an eighth seed because of under-performing, not lack of talent. CBJ fans need to be careful not to break their arms patting their backs.

Hmm. You should check out the Cbus part of the forum I think. There isnt a single arrogant fan there. Yes, obviously there was some joy after this series but now its back to its usual humble, conservative state. And this applies to everyone. We dont have our "the macho man" and his numerous clones.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

Love how you keep saying fans as if this thread is littered with Jackets fans obnoxiously celebrating or predicting future success when it isnt.

An Islander fan calling for levity after a big win is hilarious to me

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
think about the ****in momentum they're gonna build off this win too.. dispatch a dominant team that easily with someone like torts leading you? coach believes, team believes

god bless whoever has to face this freight train 2nd round
Actually, this might deflate them a bit. You have this major emotional high, then a week off before Boston or Toronto. They could easily falter from that, you know?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Hmm. You should check out the Cbus part of the forum I think. There isnt a single arrogant fan there. Yes, obviously there was some joy after this series but now its back to its usual humble, conservative state. And this applies to everyone. We dont have our "the macho man" and his numerous clones.

That's fair, but I am saying this more to the world rather than just HF. A lot of armchair bloggers are going nuts, and I just think it's a little bit blown out of proportion here. This wasn't a David vs. Goliath beatdown by even a percentage point. The CBJ had much more talent than their record showed. I was the one on our own boards telling people not to count out CBJ and they are still finding chemistry with the new adds. I told my fellow Isles fans they would be dangerous if they do get that chemistry in sync.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Love how you keep saying fans as if this thread is littered with Jackets fans obnoxiously celebrating or predicting future success when it isnt.

An Islander fan calling for levity after a big win is hilarious to me

Don't know what the last part has to do with anything. And as I said to the other poster, this wasn't just a remark about HF, it was a remark about the internet blowing up about it in general.

I don't think anybody on the Isles board feels that confident about round 2. I'd feel way more confident if we had the talent that CBJ does....

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
I was pizzed when I saw huge displays on Stamkos and Hedman on the Countryside Mall on Friday. And then a Go Bolts! sign at the entrance. Of course the mall interior is littered with Bolts advertising.

Meltdown.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
That's fair, but I am saying this more to the world rather than just HF. A lot of armchair bloggers are going nuts, and I just think it's a little bit blown out of proportion here. This wasn't a David vs. Goliath beatdown by even a percentage point. The CBJ had much more talent than their record showed. I was the one on our own boards telling people not to count out CBJ and they are still finding chemistry with the new adds. I told my fellow Isles fans they would be dangerous if they do get that chemistry in sync.
It's nice that you think that, but not until we had a 3-0 series lead did people even think we had a chance. When we were up 2-0 everyone pointed and laughed and referenced our series against Washington last year when we blew a 2-0 lead. So after the fact it's easy to say we weren't David, but where were you at the beginning of the series?

Reactions: Bobcat110

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Well done! You were in the extreme minority. I hope you made some money .. I would expect that most of the HF Boards hot takes are non-CBJ fans who now see Tampa is not in their team's way to the cup now...Caps/Leafs/Boston fans thinking "all we have to do is beat the lowly Jackets now"..... it's easy to discount the upset after the series is over, but TB was -400 favorites to win the series (next closest was Calgary at -220 over Avs) and not one major sports "expert" picked CBJ to win the series or even last 6 games ...this was TSN website the day the playoffs started:

56837301_10214331983676957_4429784708808704000_n.jpg

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
So this thread has been reduced to 1 Isles fan trying to tell Blue Jackets fans their series wasn't what everyone else says it was, and to not be excited about going forward.

Oh, and 1 Lightning fan still making up excuses about how his team lost.

Got it :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad