ECQF: Columbus Defeats Tampa Bay 4-0

Should Cooper be fired?

• Total voters

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
You think Vas is to blame? And you thought his workload was..."easy"?

Vasilevskiy stats from the playoffs (with rankings out of the 17 keepers who have played):

Shots against/60:
26.51 - Third fewest

High Danger shots/60
5.86 - Second fewest

Exepected Goals against/60:
1.75 - Fewest in the first round

Actual Goals against:
3.82 - Second worst

Save %:
.856 - Second worst

GSAA/60:
-1.55 - Second worst

Even if you dont like advanced stats, thats not the same keeper from the regular season.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Vasilevskiy stats from the playoffs (with rankings out of the 17 keepers who have played):

Shots against/60:
26.51 - Third fewest

High Danger shots/60
5.86 - Second fewest

Actual Goals against:
3.82 - Second worst

Save %:
.856 - Second worst

GSAA/60:
-1.55 - Second worst

Even if you dont like advanced stats, thats not the same keeper from the regular season.
If I could like this post a thousand times I would.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I don't think I've ever seen a team play without so much pace than this series Lightning. They looked like turtles through the neutral zone.

And their pressure in the defensive zone was completely absent. It looked like Blue Jackets played power play in 5v5 and they let Blue Jackets defensemen walk all the way to the slot to shot.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
When your goalie is average, forwards below average and your #1 D playing injured and therefore well below (his) average, you will get your asses handed to you in the NHL - despite racking up 60 wins during RS.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This is still the same Tampa core that got to an ECF last year, and one that put up 62-wins.

i get the rage and emotion, but rather than blowing it up or doing something drastic, I think patience is the way forward for Tampa - this is a team that needs tweaks, rather than a jackhammer right through the roster.

Once the dust settles, the rest of the league will be hoping they do something stupid, while the smart thing for them to do is to take their time, assess, and make smaller moves.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Shots against/60:
26.51 - Third fewest

High Danger shots/60
5.86 - Second fewest

Actual Goals against:
3.82 - Second worst

Save %:
.856 - Second worst

GSAA/60:
-1.55 - Second worst

Right. And the Lightning never lost 3 games in a row all season, let alone 4. So different team in front of him.

The sample size is small enough to dissect piece by piece. Which goals against didn't agree with you?

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Right. And the Lightning never lost 3 games in a row all season, let alone 4. So different team in front of him.

The sample size is small enough to dissect piece by piece. Which goals against didn't agree with you?
Every single one they scored without Vasi being screened. Normally he stops unscreened shots all day. Unless he's in Trashilevskiy mode..

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Every single one they scored without Vasi being screened. Normally he stops unscreened shots all day. Unless he's in Trashilevskiy mode..
I'll admit he wasn't great. I think his performance falls somewhere between adequate and poor, but its not as if the lightning played great and he cost them the series. The entire team was trash.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I'll admit he wasn't great. I think his performance falls somewhere between adequate and poor, but its not as if the lightning played great and he cost them the series. The entire team was trash.
You are correct sir. Between adequate and poor is about right and yes, the entire team was trash. Only ones I would say that weren't trash were Cirelli, Callahan in the minimal time he was on the ice, and Cernak was solid for the most part. The rest was hot garbage.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You are correct sir. Between adequate and poor is about right and yes, the entire team was trash. Only ones I would say that weren't trash were Cirelli, Callahan in the minimal time he was on the ice, and Cernak was solid for the most part. The rest was hot garbage.

Cooper killed Coburn and Callahan's confidence and pride. They both should have started in Game 1. It's confusing, since both were playing very well in the last month or so of the season. Would Tampa still blow a 3-0 lead in Game 1? Not sure but with those guys in the line up, think they shut them down, and then it's possibly a different series.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Not gonna do that much work and I agree that with the small sample size theres a remote chance that almost all the high danger chances were perfect but thats a helluva bad luck streak.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I gotta give credit where credit is due. Columbus, you done good. Real good.

Now please destroy Toronto/Boston.

Reactions: london flyer

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
basically the same. ithink i have 1 series correct at this point
Yeah same. In the East, the only series that is going the way of my brackets so far is the Canes-Caps series which is far from over as well.

Honestly though, I think a lot of ppl also chose that matchup in the ECF and it was a logical pick since Tampa won the Prez Trophy by an absolute landslide and was lighting the league on fire for 82 games, while the pens still have the personnel (Sid & Geno) and the greatest championship pedigree of their generation. Definitely didn't see either result happening that's for sure, I guess that's the beauty of the NHL playoffs

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I gotta give credit where credit is due. Columbus, you done good. Real good.

Now please destroy Toronto/Boston.

You just know either team is gonna destroy Columbus to rub salt in the wound.

When it rains, it pours.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Cooper can't be fired because they just extended him a few weeks ago and that just wouldn't make much sense at all. I think they are just going to try and re-work things and shop some of the players.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Cooper killed Coburn and Callahan's confidence and pride. They both should have started in Game 1. It's confusing, since both were playing very well in the last month or so of the season. Would Tampa still blow a 3-0 lead in Game 1? Not sure but with those guys in the line up, think they shut them down, and then it's possibly a different series.
Yeah, just don't understand Cooper's logic in sitting those two. They have a ton of playoff experience, knowing how to play the right way in the playoffs, and he opts to sit them out. Just don't get it. Think that decision, coupled with Cooper's inability to make adjustments, is the reason so many Lightning fans are calling for him to be fired (which I think is a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction).

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad