Easy Stanley Cup win for Tampa?

meatwad4343

Apr 19, 2018
Tampa
Round 1: play almost 7 games worth of hockey in 5 games and finish with less PP TOI than the NYR
Round 2: play President's Trophy winners
Round 3: face the best coach in the NHL

All without Stamkos

Easy path boys!

like i've been saying, good run by the stars, but they aren't gonna make it past 5 games against us if we make it to the finals. i'd put good money on that. top to bottom we're just a better team, and thats without stamkos.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
what kind of special you smokin? 1st they haven't even beaten the Islanders

2nd the Stars remind me of 2019 CBJ but with more skill. Dallas should not be underestimated

thread was made even before the series started, it's called a prediction

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Its amazing, in the ECF thread the Islanders are a junk team that had an easy path to the ECF and dont belong. In this thread, not that lol.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Islanders are a great team with a great coach. Way to early to say anything less.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
like i've been saying, good run by the stars, but they aren't gonna make it past 5 games against us if we make it to the finals. i'd put good money on that. top to bottom we're just a better team, and thats without stamkos.
You sound way too overconfident. No one respects dallas until they get beat by them. I think a stars/tampa finals will be extremely close and exciting

Reactions: Elysian

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Agreed

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Lol angry Avs fans and cocky Lightning fans.

I don't see how anyone would want prognosticate in such an extreme way: Dallas beat the Avs (who suffered from injuries) and the Knights (straight up and in five games); they're playing well...

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Dallas will be tough if we move on. Vegas was a team I wouldn’t be happy to play but Dallas just finished them in 5 so they should be even tougher right? Gotta win 1 more vs the islanders before we can get into that discussion.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think we scored in the last 8 periods of that series. We were definitely exposed. The Caps rocked our shinola. It's ok. We made some changes and I'm eating a lot of well deserved delicious crow right now.
Agreed, but the thing that got exposed isn't what he's saying got exposed. Our top end scoring dried up. Extra size isnt what brought that back. We started playing a different style in OCTOBER. And there were growing pains with it. Now it's paying off. Yeah, our bottom six is bigger, and that's nice, but that's not the reason Kucherov and Point are lighting it up.

Reactions: T REX

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

I don't see how anyone would want prognosticate in such an extreme way: Dallas beat the Avs (who suffered from injuries) and the Knights (straight up and in five games); they're playing well...

I think it has more to do with that, if you gave Lightning fans the offer of, say, St. Louis, Colorado, Las Vegas, or Dallas in the Final, which one do you think we'd take?

We have to get there for it to even matter, and we're not yet. But I don't think this is a difficult question to answer. Dallas was 26-24 in the regular season in regulation games. 169 goals for, 169 against (numbers right in-line with Columbus and NYI, btw). As much as that was a long time ago now, it's just a general reflection that, skill-wise, Dallas isn't the best team out there. Doesn't matter at this point, does it? Either way, they made their way to the Final so it is what it is. Hopefully we're the team facing them.

Reactions: T REX

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
If Tampa beats the Isles then they are likely to be the favorites with bookies. However Dallas has this insane and scary ability to turn it on when needed. The last time I saw this was from Pens 3 and 4 years ago. Truly 50/50 series for me which can actually be lopsided for either team.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Dallas murdered every rabbit in the state of Texas to accumulate as many lucky rabbits feet as possible. The Stars go through these long stretches where they really don't look that good, and then they just turn it around and score a bunch of goals like it's nothing.

At the rate Dallas is going they would trail Tampa with 3 minutes left, down 5 goals every game of the finals and end up sweeping Tampa to win the cup.

Reactions: AD1066

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If Tampa beats the Isles then they are likely to be the favorites with bookies. However Dallas has this insane and scary ability to turn it on when needed. The last time I saw this was from Pens 3 and 4 years ago. Truly 50/50 series for me which can actually be lopsided for either team.

Agreed. Some of their newer guys have underrated skills. Gurianov or however you spell has some sick capability

Benn has been a monster. He is a tough battle in front of the net

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Don't think Lightning is in the same stratosphere though.

It's true people having been calling on Colorado to be a top team - they have tons of talent - but they've yet to truly dominate a season nor playoffs with this core. No division or conference champs, never round 3 playoffs. A team with a lot of talent and potential, but not exactly world beaters yet. They also lost their goalie.

Vegas was uneven all year long. It's true that they have a good roster, and seemed to get things together towards end of season and in these playoffs - but again, a really uneven season.

Tampa were world beaters last season. Among the best regular seasons of all-time. Their core is absolutely insane. We all know they had a huge choke job in playoffs last year - yet despite that most fans still called them favorites going into this season, just a testament to what a strong team they are on paper.

More than any team in these playoffs so far - Tampa has never looked worried. And - they've arguably faced some of the toughest competition too. Columbus in round 1 might have been one of the hardest teams who were eliminated (played really well). Boston president champions. NYI isn't exactly a world beater - but they've played as well as anyone in these playoffs.

I guess what I'm saying is - Tampa has a right to be cocky. And Stars better be ready for it. If Tampa makes it to the final - it'll by far be the biggest threat Dallas has faced in these playoffs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think anyone said those things.

To be fair - yeah they sorta did. People said easy for the Avs, 100%. They all thought Avs and MacKinnon were unstoppable. People mostly expected Vegas to win too - but I think by then many also respected how Dallas beat Colorado by then, so a bit less so.
I don't think people expected Calgary to beat the Stars per se - it's more about how Calgary looked like they were going to take insurmountable leads in the series against Stars many times - and Stars always came back with tying goals in last 12 seconds, or surmounting 0-3 in-game deficits to win 7-3.

They've had such a wild run. Really impressive for the Stars. I'm not a fan - but if I were I bet it'd be exciting as hell and also make me nervous like crazy all the close calls they've had.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Don't think Lightning is in the same stratosphere though.

It's true people having been calling on Colorado to be a top team - they have tons of talent - but they've yet to truly dominate a season nor playoffs with this core. No division or conference champs, never round 3 playoffs. A team with a lot of talent and potential, but not exactly world beaters yet. They also lost their goalie.

Vegas was uneven all year long. It's true that they have a good roster, and seemed to get things together towards end of season and in these playoffs - but again, a really uneven season.

Tampa were world beaters last season. Among the best regular seasons of all-time. Their core is absolutely insane. We all know they had a huge choke job in playoffs last year - yet despite that most fans still called them favorites going into this season, just a testament to what a strong team they are on paper.

More than any team in these playoffs so far - Tampa has never looked worried. And - they've arguably faced some of the toughest competition too. Columbus in round 1 might have been one of the hardest teams who were eliminated (played really well). Boston president champions. NYI isn't exactly a world beater - but they've played as well as anyone in these playoffs.

I guess what I'm saying is - Tampa has a right to be cocky. And Stars better be ready for it. If Tampa makes it to the final - it'll by far be the biggest threat Dallas has faced in these playoffs.

very fair comment but its safe to say Dallas faced tougher competition than the Bolts.

should be a battle and i agree, the toughest team Dallas will have faced in their run.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So we've now jinxed this and we should probably start preparing for NYI vs. Dallas.

It's getting weird (and scary) how we're already talking about a SCF as if NYI just stopped existing and there's no huge game coming up tonight.

Reactions: Hoek

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Lmao stop talking as if the Bolts are already in the Stanley Cap Final. They aren't, everything can happen still

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Lmao stop talking as if the Bolts are already in the Stanley Cap Final. They aren't, everything can happen still
So we've now jinxed this and we should probably start preparing for NYI vs. Dallas.

It's getting weird (and scary) how we're already talking about a SCF as if NYI just stopped existing and there's no huge game coming up tonight.

The Islanders right now
HighlevelCostlyBrownbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I think it has more to do with that, if you gave Lightning fans the offer of, say, St. Louis, Colorado, Las Vegas, or Dallas in the Final, which one do you think we'd take?

We have to get there for it to even matter, and we're not yet. But I don't think this is a difficult question to answer. Dallas was 26-24 in the regular season in regulation games. 169 goals for, 169 against (numbers right in-line with Columbus and NYI, btw). As much as that was a long time ago now, it's just a general reflection that, skill-wise, Dallas isn't the best team out there. Doesn't matter at this point, does it? Either way, they made their way to the Final so it is what it is. Hopefully we're the team facing them.
Colorado was 1st in GF, Calgary was 3rd and Vegas was 8th in the regular season while Dallas sat 7th yet 3 of the 4 teams mentioned are playing golf. All of them were touting that they were gonna destroy the Stars yet here we are. So Dallas has shown they can handle teams with high scoring players and can shut them down.

killa3312

Mar 4, 2015
Colorado was 1st in GF, Calgary was 3rd and Vegas was 8th in the regular season while Dallas sat 7th yet 3 of the 4 teams mentioned are playing golf. All of them were touting that they were gonna destroy the Stars yet here we are. So Dallas has shown they can handle teams with high scoring players and can shut them down.

Pretty sure Tampa Bay was #1 in goals scored and has been for three straight seasons now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Colorado was 1st in GF in the playoffs only (TB was #1 in the regular season), where they were helped immensely by a series vs. Arizona, who really shouldn't have been in the playoffs.

But it's also important to note that Colorado scored a lot of goals in that series. If Dallas gives up that many goals to TB, it will be a short series, because a little known fact about TB is they can defend too.

*If TB beats the Islanders, which is NOT a given.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad