Easy Stanley Cup win for Tampa?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
In theory yes it absolutely should be.

Since getting through Boston, They're facing the 6tb best team in the East in the Conference finals and now will get the 4th best team in the West in the finals.

Credit to Dallas for getting things done and hockey is a difficult sport to predict, but a lot of luck has went into the Stars run so far to the point where they almost shouldn't have even made it out of the first round in the west.

Maybe those lucky breaks carry into the finals as well but I would be betting heavily on Tampa Bay right now.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Pretty sure Tampa Bay was #1 in goals scored and has been for three straight seasons now.
Forgot to add Western conf, my apologies. Any person who thinks this is gonna be a walk in the park for Tampa IF they move pass the Islanders really has not witnessed the determination from the Stars in this years playoffs. Colorado IMO is the biggest offensive threat in the NHL and closely followed by Vegas but Dallas closed those doors.

Reactions: Elysian

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Forgot to add Western conf, my apologies. Any person who thinks this is gonna be a walk in the park for Tampa IF they move pass the Islanders really has not witnessed the determination from the Stars in this years playoffs. Colorado IMO is the biggest offensive threat in the NHL and closely followed by Vegas but Dallas closed those doors.

I don't think it will be easy for TB, but TB is a team that can both score and defend. Dallas won't get away with giving up 3+ per night against us.

People get so blinded by TB's scoring that they forget our biggest strength is Victor Hedman, who can shut down anybody in the league. And beyond him we have defensemen up and down the line up who can play above their slot when called upon.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Colorado was 1st in GF in the playoffs only (TB was #1 in the regular season), where they were helped immensely by a series vs. Arizona, who really shouldn't have been in the playoffs.

But it's also important to note that Colorado scored a lot of goals in that series. If Dallas gives up that many goals to TB, it will be a short series, because a little known fact about TB is they can defend too.

*If TB beats the Islanders, which is NOT a given.

If TB blows a 3-1 series lead to the Isles, Cooper may very well get fired. And there may be players on the hot seat too. Though I don't know who exactly.

This has been a weird postseason. Weird year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Isles pull it off.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If TB blows a 3-1 series lead to the Isles, Cooper may very well get fired. And there may be players on the hot seat too. Though I don't know who exactly.

This has been a weird postseason. Weird year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Isles pull it off.

TB has a history of getting distracted and getting ahead of themselves. We lose trap games like nobody's business. To be fair, they APPEAR to have matured in this post-season. I can't think of a true stinker of a game since the playoffs started (the round robin against Philly looked like an exhibition game), so they seem to be properly gearing up for each and every contest and taking nothing for granted.

At the same time, Brayden Point's health is a major concern. If he's out, the series is definitely still up for grabs. Cirelli, currently functioning as our 2C, barely resembles himself right now (we suspect an injury--he's lost his top few gears), and does not appear capable of taking over 1C duties for any meaningful stretch.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Agreed, but the thing that got exposed isn't what he's saying got exposed. Our top end scoring dried up. Extra size isnt what brought that back. We started playing a different style in OCTOBER. And there were growing pains with it. Now it's paying off. Yeah, our bottom six is bigger, and that's nice, but that's not the reason Kucherov and Point are lighting it up.
“And that’s nice” you don’t even understand your own words.

You’ll crack the riddle as soon as you understand that Cooper and the gang knew they had to get way bigger up front. They went from the tiniest to one of the heaviest by design. They went from the 2nd shortest to upper half by design. They got bigger on purpose because THEY knew they had to after that Wash series. You’re saying that they got that much bigger by some fluke.

Come into the light!

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Anyone saying it is an easy path is out to lunch.

Columbus spanked us a year ago and took us to 7 overtime periods
Boston was the president's trophy winner and cruised through the first round
Islanders were the hottest team in the playoffs and had the best coach

And the stars are a cup finalist if we face them..... enough said.

I would argue that is a harder path than the Stars had

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Colorado scored over 4 goals per game against the Stars, they just conceded 4 per game as well - I'm not sure this is shutting the door as much as it is outscoring a potent offense, which is also impressive.

I agree that Dallas will be a tough series if the Lightning advance, but Tampa's defense and goaltending are substantially better than Colorado showed in that series. I think it would be a good series.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
“And that’s nice” you don’t even understand your own words.

You’ll crack the riddle as soon as you understand that Cooper and the gang knew they had to get way bigger up front. They went from the tiniest to one of the heaviest by design. They went from the 2nd shortest to upper half by design. They got bigger on purpose because they knew they had to after that Wash series.

Come into the light!

We wanted to get bigger in the top-6. ...But we didn't. But Ondrej Palat got healthy so we ended up getting bigger in the top-6 without making any real change there (even though he's not big; he plays biggish). We also dramatically changed the gameplan and started funneling everything to the net rather than playing the perimeter all day. Yeah, we got bigger in the bottom-6, but a small bottom-6 isn't the reason Nikita Kucherov got shut down in two series against coaches determined to snuff him out.

I fully acknowledge it's been a factor in our success. It's just not the main factor. The main factor is our stars are scoring (in fact, it's a little bit worrisome how much of the offense they're carrying), which is both a result of an improved strategy and better luck with injuries.

I mean, Brayden Point missed one game, which technically made us bigger on average. Lost that one though. So I'm gonna guess a healthy Brayden Point is kind of a big deal.

Last edited:

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
We wanted to get bigger in the top-6. ...But we didn't. But Ondrej Palat got healthy so we ended up getting bigger in the top-6 without making any real change there (even though he's not big; he plays biggish). We also dramatically changed the gameplan and started funneling everything to the net rather than playing the perimeter all day. Yeah, we got bigger in the bottom-6, but a small bottom-6 isn't the reason Nikita Kucherov got shut down in two series against coaches determined to snuff him out.

I fully acknowledge it's been a factor in our success. It's just not the main factor. The main factor is our stars are scoring (in fact, it's a little bit worrisome how much of the offense they're carrying), which is both a result of an improved strategy and better luck with injuries.

I mean, Brayden Point missed one game, which technically made us bigger on average. Lost that one though. So I'm gonna guess a healthy Brayden Point is kind of a big deal.
You’re not understanding exactly how small we were up front to make us average 193lbs even with those huge defensemen.
You’re not acknowledging the huge effort to get MUCH bigger in only two years.
You’re not comprehending that the new guys must be 20lbs+ on average bigger to make that big of a swing in size.

Understand the obviously driven change and the reason for the change. You’ll then see it.

I’d suggest you rewatch game 6 to see our tiny forwards airborne.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You’re not understanding exactly how small we were up front to make us average 193lbs even with those huge defensemen.
You’re not acknowledging the huge effort to get MUCH bigger in only two years.
You’re not comprehending that the new guys must be 20lbs+ on average bigger to make that big of a swing in size.

Understand the obviously driven change and the reason for the change. You’ll then see it.

Okay then. Demand that I acknowledge your point, which I have, while ignoring mine entirely.

We're not bigger in the top-6, and the top-6 is carrying us. But yeah, that's only happening because Pat Maroon is on the 4th line.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Okay then. Demand that I acknowledge your point, which I have, while ignoring mine entirely.

We're not bigger in the top-6, and the top-6 is carrying us. But yeah, that's only happening because Pat Maroon is on the 4th line.
So you agree that the staff knew they needed to get much bigger. Fact.

Then you agree that they needed to get much bigger to reach the pinnacle.

The riddle has been solved!

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado scored over 4 goals per game against the Stars, they just conceded 4 per game as well - I'm not sure this is shutting the door as much as it is outscoring a potent offense, which is also impressive.

I agree that Dallas will be a tough series if the Lightning advance, but Tampa's defense and goaltending are substantially better than Colorado showed in that series. I think it would be a good series.
The avs also had injuries and horrific goaltending

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Dallas not getting enough respect here. This team is a powerhouse on paper and were pegged as a contender before the season began. If they're firing on all cylinders, the Stars are up there with pretty much any team in the league. Consistency and getting the most out of the star players seems to be an issue at times but they have all the tools you'd want on a playoff team.

If TB gets by NYI, by no means would I assume a Stanley Cup victory. Dallas will be well rested and Bowness may have some insider info when it comes to stifling the Lightning offense. I could see the Stars going up by 1 or 2 early regardless of who they face in the finals.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
The avs also had injuries and horrific goaltending
Isles Goaltending is not exactly that stellar, especially in game 1 in which the two goalies did not even try that hard and Isles definitely do not have any player at McKinnon's level who alone can make difference in games like OV can.

Yes Avs D was not that good even with Makar in their line-up, but I am saying that the Dallas D group can match closely to that of Tampa because their top 2 are very skilled & they have another one is insanely good at blocking shots and one other big D who is very good defensively. Their D group does not have that much weakness and it has nothing to do with a system, just the skill and commitment level. This D group can be the toughest one Tampa has to face this year as well as goalie performances. Remember that the Bruins did not have their top goalie in the series either and the Isles goalies especially Varly has struggled since Isles went up 3-1 against Philly, having trouble controlling rebounds and making saves when screened.

I still think Tampa will win SC, but a sweep is not likely.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Isles Goaltending is not exactly that stellar, especially in game 1 in which the two goalies did not even try that hard and Isles definitely do not have any player at McKinnon's level who alone can make difference in games like OV can.
I agree Dallas has a good d but it’s not as good as CBJ. Let’s be real

Yes Avs D was not that good even with Makar in their line-up, but I am saying that the Dallas D group can match closely to that of Tampa because their top 2 are very skilled & they have another one is insanely good at blocking shots and one other big D who is very good defensively. Their D group does not have that much weakness and it has nothing to do with a system, just the skill and commitment level. This D group can be the toughest one Tampa has to face this year as well as goalie performances. Remember that the Bruins did not have their top goalie in the series either and the Isles goalies especially Varly has struggled since Isles went up 3-1 against Philly, having trouble controlling rebounds and making saves when screened.

I still think Tampa will win SC, but a sweep is not likely.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Blue Jackets, Bruins and Isles is harder than Flames, Avs and Knights? I don’t think so, Tim.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Islanders are still mentioned in the present tense, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->