Eastside Hockey Manager - Part IX Maybe 1.5 Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Error.png

anyone know how to deal with this error? it's showing up daily in game.

@xECK29x ?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Just a generic major error, wouldn't know without submitting the save game for debugging with Riz, and who knows if/when he would be able to do that. Does this happen consistently with a reload?

yup! Shut down and reloaded and still happening. The file still works but I have to press OK a million times before it sims a day. So I guess the file is done. Especially if I’m trying to just sim through seasons

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
This isn't the first time I've seen that error. Are you able to forward the same to me or ECK so we can pass to Riz? ehmtheblueline AT gmail DOT com

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Question for the DB guys:
Is the rules for right expiry of RFA hard coded as never expiring?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Version 1.1 of the BKmodern skin is now available. I fixed the green background label on the player position screen. I also edited the attribute colors to something more streamlines. I wanted a gradient that went from grey to blue that would do away with the color coding system and rely more on brightness and saturation to create an easily definable variation on attribute classifications. Something more similar to the colorblind scheme really. For me, extra colors is just extra clutter. I realize this won't be for everybody, so you can easily adjust the colors in the COL file as described in the TBL page for the skin

BKmodern EHM Skin - EHM The Blue LineBKmodern EHM Skin - EHM The Blue Line

Keep in mind the colors have to be readable in three places: the player profile page, the player position page and the attributes screen on the team roster. Examples below.

DOWNLOAD BKmodern v1.1
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtIMzu_jrD0_hv9mM1r ... g?e=v6weHK

ZCGl4LL.png

yS7P3PY.png

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
anyone else notice top prospects in USHL can't be signed to the NCAA without lowering their Player Rep drastically. Any reason for this?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
anyone else notice top prospects in USHL can't be signed to the NCAA without lowering their Player Rep drastically. Any reason for this?

Nope, just needs more tweaking I'd imagine. College clubs aren't really coded properly and honestly the whole development track of US players needs to be completely re-done in-game for it to be viable. College clubs are classified as Amateur (below Semi-Pro and pretty much equivalent to a beer league), they have higher reps then most major junior tracks but could be more tweaking is needed.

I'd like to get more data from you via PM or on Discord/Steam if you can share what you have observed and recommend changing.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Nope, just needs more tweaking I'd imagine. College clubs aren't really coded properly and honestly the whole development track of US players needs to be completely re-done in-game for it to be viable. College clubs are classified as Amateur (below Semi-Pro and pretty much equivalent to a beer league), they have higher reps then most major junior tracks but could be more tweaking is needed.

I'd like to get more data from you via PM or on Discord/Steam if you can share what you have observed and recommend changing.

I believe 1.5 is supposed to address part of that.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I believe 1.5 is supposed to address part of that.

Yes there are several changes related to colleges:

- Adjustments to young player college/junior preferences
- Updated the player rights expiration rules for college players
- Fixed college and university teams shortlisting and signing players
- Fixed contract end dates for players joining college teams during season
- Fixed creation of junior/college preference for new players at the start of a new game (applies to new games only)
- Fixed rights expiry date for players drafted out of college

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
You see players drop in the draft, but check #89
He was ranked as high as #4 throughout the season so this is pretty bizarre

The longer I play this save, the more random these drafts seem to get :laugh:

The #1 ranked prospect dropping, the #17 prospect taken first, the #10 ranked player dropped to the 3rd round, two other first round projected players dropped to the 7th round, and an unranked player gets taken at #6 out of nowhere. He ain't even that good:

I also see a lot of players from random countries like Hong Kong or Italy suddenly get drafted. And not just one, but sometimes several in one draft. Which is actually kinda cool :D

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kinda fun to see how Tampa got out of their pre-season cap crunch in my latest test sims:

- Traded Tyler Johnson to the Blues for prospect Leo Loof (2020 3rd rounder). Probably an overpay compared to real life but at least they dealt him
- Traded Ondrej Palat to the Red Wings for prospect Cross Hanas (2020 2nd rounder) and 4th and 5th round picks in 2021. Palat's a pretty valuable player and they probably won't trade him plus he's got NMC in real life but this seems like a solid deal for both.
- Traded Alex Killorn to the Predators for prospect Semyon Chistyakov (2020 4th rounder) and two 4th round picks in 2021. Actually seems plausible in real life - Killorn's value will be muted by the current financial situation but he's a valuable player and the Preds need some more beef in their top 6.

I should say, in my tests, I haven't all major RFA's signed to contracts already so that the CPU doesn't do stupid things (the CPU always does a poor job of managing RFA's, especially when you start a game in the first off-season).

Some other cap moves:

- Vegas traded Fleury to the Kings for a 2nd to get out from his contract. The Kings had tons of cap space.
- The Avs were feeling tight financially so they dealt Ryan Graves (back) to Columbus and Matt Calvert to the Pens.
- The Leafs also feeling a crunch dealt Kerfoot to Montreal and stupidly, Muzzin to the Rangers. For some reason I can't make the Leafs NOT trade Muzzin - it makes no sense and I even put the Leafs as a favorite team of his and made him a favorite staff of Dubas and Keefe and yet they still always trade him to get cap space. LOL.

Reactions: francis246

michaelwd

Dec 15, 2020
Hey folks, got a few questions about database editing, and a friend encouraged me to reach out here.

I've been trying to turn the NHL into a 64 team league (Two conferences with four divisions of eight teams each, division winners plus four wild cards per conference make the playoffs), with each conference's farm teams having their own 32 team minor league to play in. I've been using the Premier Pivot database as my starting point, and Archibald's database editor to do my work in. It appears like I've got all the teams and league structures in there correctly - I can load the database in EHM, select a team, and enter the game proper. (Database file available upon request).

However, a number of issues remain. The league schedule is clearly broken, but that could probably be fixed if I built out a schedule template. I also can't run a fantasy draft to start the league, getting a "get_comp_colours():pcomp passed in null" error when I try. But the biggest issue is that on the second day of simulation, I get a "LEAGUE::setup_team():league with 50 teams?" error, which makes me think this whole enterprise may be f***ed.

I brainstormed a few ideas with a friend, initially considering setting up two separate leagues with a single championship game, similar to the pre-1997 MLB. However, that comes with a problem of trading and the draft. If there were two separate drafts and prospects had to pick between franchises, that could be interesting, but I've been led to understand that drafts are more hard-coded into the game, and that couldn't be done. But I'd really prefer if every team was able to trade with each other, and that becomes less possible when doing two separate leagues with a single title game.

At this point, the question I've got is if you were going to try and set up a 64-team competition, how would you try to do it? I'm expecting to make compromises on my initial vision, but would there be any way to maintain trading between all the teams? And if I was able to run the schedule through the regular season, would it run the playoffs or crash when scheduling those games?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
There’s a limit in EHM (at least in 1.4 and earlier) where if you pass around 50 teams or so, the game becomes ugly unstable. I don’t remember the exact number.

This is why I setup the NCAA as each conference as a separate competition. I had originally developed it as a single league and I had everything on point including schedules but even with everything correct - the game always, without fail crashes on the date that it tries to generate the “league preview”. There is something about that table generation that causes EHM to crash when there are too many teams.

So - basically, unless it’s been fixed in 1.5, you can get everything in your comp structures and schedules pitch perfect and it will still crash.

You also can’t setup the NHL as two separate comps because all the stuff that is hard coded specifically for the original NHL. Including the draft. My advice would be to pare your league down to like 48 and give that a go. I think 48 works.

michaelwd

Dec 15, 2020
Ah, well that's unfortunate, but I can make a 48 team league work.

Given that, I'd like to go to a system with two twelve team divisions per conference and four wild cards, with the division champs each getting a first round bye. What settings would I need to put into the league in order to make that happen?

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
How can I customize the background and facepics of the players from steam workshop? I click subscribe but they dont appear in game

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Is there 2020-21 season database ready to go with recent signings, 2020 drafted players, and European loaned players back in the NHL? I'm hoping to start a new game with holidays coming up.

flamesftw

Jan 12, 2018
How many teams remaining do you have to update ECK? Been on a 4 month hiatus for school but wanna get back into it for winter break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad