Eastside Hockey Manager - Part IX Maybe 1.5 Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Haven't played this game too much but trying to get into it.

Guess I gave up too much??? Lol...
upload_2020-10-2_16-4-49.png

dh99

Apr 17, 2019
One topic of EHM's trading system I think could be adjusted is the fact that players picked between rounds 3-7 will often have 3 star value or higher in trades immediately out of the draft, making it really easy to essentially trade a 6th round pick for a 2nd in the following draft.

When it comes to prospects, I was wondering if anyone else finds that future draft players feel really weak when it comes to mental attributes. Maybe it's just me but every year after the human-generated players are gone there's consistently tons of players in the projected top 31 that have poor anticipation and creativity stats (9 or below), and this doesn't really make sense because those stats will barely grow and when you consider that a good defensive player in a premade database will usually have at least 16 anticipation it's concerning. Also, it's the opposite of real life, where usually things like hockey IQ are so highly valued.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

No ... EHM as a game is broken in a lot of ways.

I've just started to get into OOTP and it's making me hate EHM.

One topic of EHM's trading system I think could be adjusted is the fact that players picked between rounds 3-7 will often have 3 star value or higher in trades immediately out of the draft, making it really easy to essentially trade a 6th round pick for a 2nd in the following draft.

When it comes to prospects, I was wondering if anyone else finds that future draft players feel really weak when it comes to mental attributes. Maybe it's just me but every year after the human-generated players are gone there's consistently tons of players in the projected top 31 that have poor anticipation and creativity stats (9 or below), and this doesn't really make sense because those stats will barely grow and when you consider that a good defensive player in a premade database will usually have at least 16 anticipation it's concerning. Also, it's the opposite of real life, where usually things like hockey IQ are so highly valued.

Future drafts are always really weak. The game cannot create many good players on its own, so you essentially have to wait for when all the good players retire and draft their regens. Problem is, if their regens respawn with casual, low natural fitness, low consistency, decision making, or a low offensive role (any number of things that will ruin your player); then they are basically useless for their entire life cycle in the game.

A lot of people have done fine work on trying to fix this with the prospect generator but I've found most iterations of the prospect generator don't solve the issue. They create more with CA/PA value but they tend to max out in attributes for that specific role and still can't spawn goalies without a critical issue (red glove or blocker, red reflexes, no growth at all from their draft year).

I'll stay patient for 1.5, but if 1.5 doesn't make the user experience much better.. I'll retire the game.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No ... EHM as a game is broken in a lot of ways.

I've just started to get into OOTP and it's making me hate EHM.

Future drafts are always really weak. The game cannot create many good players on its own, so you essentially have to wait for when all the good players retire and draft their regens. Problem is, if their regens respawn with casual, low natural fitness, low consistency, decision making, or a low offensive role (any number of things that will ruin your player); then they are basically useless for their entire life cycle in the game.

A lot of people have done fine work on trying to fix this with the prospect generator but I've found most iterations of the prospect generator don't solve the issue. They create more with CA/PA value but they tend to max out in attributes for that specific role and still can't spawn goalies without a critical issue (red glove or blocker, red reflexes, no growth at all from their draft year).

I'll stay patient for 1.5, but if 1.5 doesn't make the user experience much better.. I'll retire the game.

The latest ECK roster worked pretty well for goalies for me. Plenty of goalies with all green technicals.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I’ll split your response in two. The rating system something I agree with, you can potentially get draft picks just by stacking 3-star players. I haven’t been able to pull off anything crazy like a 1st rounder lol, but I don’t abuse it. But(!) when the game kicks over into the season, I notice those late draft pick value tanks as it goes on. Little growth, but who actually uses late round picks anyway?

As I’ve said before in different EHM threads, the Regen/Newgen system was revamped from the previous version in 07. Prospects were either ‘too ready’ and played ridiculously well.

I think what people forget about the game is the development curve is different than 07. I have had a player who does not look great when I draft them, but over the year playing in juniors, the attributes jump up! If you manipulate your database with more NewGen players in the starting configuration, you open the possibilities of having more star players appear over time.

I’ve had this argument with you for a long while - (even proving my point with screenshots about regen/newgens) coming to find out later you posted about mostly play online. If you play the offline version you are bound to find prospects, and It’s not that hard. The people that create the DBs fill it up with prospects and then the game takes over.

In reality, the NHL has good drafts and bad drafts. I’m sure FHM has the same thing.
I find it harder to play EA when you have players that have TOP-6 potential 85+ overall coming out of the draft. It’s completely unrealistic to me.

Reactions: Darkauron

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I’ll split your response in two. The rating system something I agree with, you can potentially get draft picks just by stacking 3-star players. I haven’t been able to pull off anything crazy like a 1st rounder lol, but I don’t abuse it. But(!) when the game kicks over into the season, I notice those late draft pick value tanks as it goes on. Little growth, but who actually uses late round picks anyway?

As I’ve said before in different EHM threads, the Regen/Newgen system was revamped from the previous version in 07. Prospects were either ‘too ready’ and played ridiculously well.

I think what people forget about the game is the development curve is different than 07. I have had a player who does not look great when I draft them, but over the year playing in juniors, the attributes jump up! If you manipulate your database with more NewGen players in the starting configuration, you open the possibilities of having more star players appear over time.

I’ve had this argument with you for a long while - (even proving my point with screenshots about regen/newgens) coming to find out later you posted about mostly play online. If you play the offline version you are bound to find prospects, and It’s not that hard. The people that create the DBs fill it up with prospects and then the game takes over.

In reality, the NHL has good drafts and bad drafts. I’m sure FHM has the same thing.
I find it harder to play EA when you have players that have TOP-6 potential 85+ overall coming out of the draft. It’s completely unrealistic to me.

3rd - 1st - 5th
1st - 2nd - 1st
1st - 1st - 1st
4th - 3rd - 3rd

2nd - 3rd
1st - 1st
1st - 2nd

1st
1st

You can get some pretty good players in the 3-5 range.

There was a AI drafted guy that ended up going 1116 points in 1208 games while being drafted in the 6th round.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
3rd - 1st - 5th
1st - 2nd - 1st
1st - 1st - 1st
4th - 3rd - 3rd

2nd - 3rd
1st - 1st
1st - 2nd

1st
1st

There was a AI drafted guy that ended up going 1116 points in 1208 games while being drafted in the 6th round.
In one of my games, I drafted Dominic James in the 5th round and he's developed into a franchise player. At 26 years old, he just got his 400th point in his 371st game.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
3rd - 1st - 5th
1st - 2nd - 1st
1st - 1st - 1st
4th - 3rd - 3rd

2nd - 3rd
1st - 1st
1st - 2nd

1st
1st

Maybe I'll get around to posting later, but I've got some solid players from later rounds and have essentially an all drafted roster about 10 years in. That said, most of those golden later-round picks were from the first 2-3 drafts. In these most recent drafts I'm not even sure I'll get an NHL player out of many of them much less multiple guys

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Maybe I'll get around to posting later, but I've got some solid players from later rounds and have essentially an all drafted roster about 10 years in. That said, most of those golden later-round picks were from the first 2-3 drafts. In these most recent drafts I'm not even sure I'll get an NHL player out of many of them much less multiple guys

Yeah it comes and goes. There are draft where I can't find anyone exciting past the 2nd round and sometimes I wish I had 5 7th round picks.

Right now, pretty excited about my 3rd round pick in 2044 and 5th round pick in 2047, but we'll see how it goes.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Pivot V5 will be released on the day of NHL Free Agency (October 9th), if anyone wants to help test let me know, thanks to those that have helped out already!

with the draft completed? how many people are working on the pivot rosters? a 2 day turnaround seems like a HUGE job for how big the draft is.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It's done already, and I'm a machine my man. Release being posted late tonight EST.

Finished for a new NHLX release as well...I think some of us are weird and actually enjoy inputting data like this. Like it is fun to put the data in and see how it looks and responds in the sim. I spend a lot more time in the Editor than in the game itself, LOL.

FYI - NHLX is still well behind in many areas since I took a year off basically but I may do a pre-release soon with just the NHL and KHL updated for 20-21 season (including the NHL draft and 19-20 NHL stats/awards input so the 20-21 prospect rankings and Calder race is accurate). But all kinds of other leagues are in various forms of disrepair so this would be basically a use at your own risk database.

Also for those who are unfamiliar, NHLX is a kind of experimental database with expanded NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL and lots of other fun little additions (like the WHA, new NCAA conferences, etc). Real players, real updates but more of a sandbox experience than what Eck/Pivot/TBL do.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Finished for a new NHLX release as well...I think some of us are weird and actually enjoy inputting data like this. Like it is fun to put the data in and see how it looks and responds in the sim. I spend a lot more time in the Editor than in the game itself, LOL.

FYI - NHLX is still well behind in many areas since I took a year off basically but I may do a pre-release soon with just the NHL and KHL updated for 20-21 season (including the NHL draft and 19-20 NHL stats/awards input so the 20-21 prospect rankings and Calder race is accurate). But all kinds of other leagues are in various forms of disrepair so this would be basically a use at your own risk database.

Also for those who are unfamiliar, NHLX is a kind of experimental database with expanded NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL and lots of other fun little additions (like the WHA, new NCAA conferences, etc). Real players, real updates but more of a sandbox experience than what Eck/Pivot/TBL do.

Super glad to hear your back to doing this! Hope your time off was the mental break and reset you needed!

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Excited for this! Few questions:
- Is the prospect generator integrated into this DB?
- If I understood correctly, most drafted prospects + some 2021 draft updated?
- Is this the 32 teams one or the 36 teams?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Excited for this! Few questions:
- Is the prospect generator integrated into this DB?
- If I understood correctly, most drafted prospects + some 2021 draft updated?
- Is this the 32 teams one or the 36 teams?

1) I haven't yet integrated. I may need Eck or Otter walk me through this. I love the idea, I love that the results seem to be good. I just want to do it in a way that doesn't infiltrate the near future (2021 thru 2024/25 drafts) with too many fake prospects.

2) Ratings, depth charts, prospects updated for NHL teams (plus KHL) and 2021 draft has been completely updated based on composite early 2021 draft rankings. Also most of the 2022 draft. There are 2023 and 2024 draftees in the game of course too (I think even some 2025s) but aside from the big ones (Bedard, Fantili, Michkov, etc), I haven't vetted them too thoroughly based on this past season. Also college commits are not updated and I've probably jacked a bunch of that up by transferring players and not yet updating the config file.

3) The 36 team one. It's the only one I am updating right now. I really feel like the Pivot/TLB rosters will transition to 32 at some point with Seattle or somebody will mod those DBs for 32 so my emphasis right now is keeping this a "different" experience. The Kraken of course will be in there. Once free agency has settled down and I have more time, I'll create expansion draft rosters for all 5 NHL expansion teams to stock them as I have in the past. For now, they'll just be blank and you'll have to go free agent / waiver wire hunting.

4) I'll release a beta logo pack too with updated logos (Sabres, Flames, Kraken, Sens, Traktor, Riga, etc). Like the rosters this won't be fully vetted but major clubs will have updated graphics and colors. They all fit with the dani9 logopacks look.

Cleaning up the CHL and NCAA/USHL/College Commits is next up. Then probably hitting other big Euro leagues with at least a cursory update (rosters/ratings from 19-20). And then probably "fixing" all the playable leagues I've screwed up by adding new teams. So this is like beta, pre-release, first gen, etc...can't stress this enough.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
1) I haven't yet integrated. I may need Eck or Otter walk me through this. I love the idea, I love that the results seem to be good. I just want to do it in a way that doesn't infiltrate the near future (2021 thru 2024/25 drafts) with too many fake prospects.

Join our Discord my man, I will hook you up with all our tools! Check your PMs.

And yes both Pivot and TBL will come with an alternative DB you can use that will have a blank Seattle and Palm Springs team.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Join our Discord my man, I will hook you up with all our tools! Check your PMs.

And yes both Pivot and TBL will come with an alternative DB you can use that will have a blank Seattle and Palm Springs team.

You mentioned earlier this would be out late est today? What constitutes as late? I have the itch again

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
It's been a long time coming but V5 of Pivot is now live on Steam!

I want to thank everyone who has provided support, offers of assistance and encouragement. This project means a lot to me and I am so happy to continue offering it to the EHM community!

Special thanks and credits to:
- IAmActuallyAnOtter and NoPurposeFlour for your incredible tools, without them this database would be a shell of what it is!
- Manimal, ArchibaldUK and the TBL team
- Extra special thanks to the following who have provided support and assistance including research and testing: The NTHL crew, Matee, getzlaf15, Schmoo83, dani9, flinch, WearingComb1050, TheLoneWolf, TomTeki, friggan, Alles, Aalstroem, davezg, liam, Smirnov2Chistov, pukovnik and many others!

-----

*** TWO DATABASES INCLUDED ***

- There are two .db files included: the default (database.db) which is loaded into the game has the 31 team NHL/AHL. There is a second .db file included which includes an EMPTY Seattle Kraken and Palm Springs (AHL) affiliate. Seattle is also affiliated with Norfolk (ECHL). If you want to use this DB just rename it to database.db in the Steam Workshop folder (should be located in: *\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\301120\1428241604)

General Updates:

-Initial release for the year, databases come loaded with extra prospects created via the Prospect Generator by IAmActuallyAnOtter

-NHL Free Agency ready, includes all transactions as of 10/8 and includes the full 2020 NHL Draft Class as well as
most for the presumed 2021 class and notables in future classes

-All NA league loans (NHL/AHL/CHL to Europe) are included, teams have the options to recall these players at any time, loans will only last at most until end of the first season

-Massive amounts of club, league, player updates (thousands of players added and updated), just too much to list even at a high level, this is going to feel like a different game overall. Every playable league has full and (mostly) accurate rosters!

-Extensive time and effort put in to update club and league histories, records and awards

-All junior leagues across the world re-tiered and updated

-US-HS and college clubs re-tired, should help with US born players being stuck without a team post-draft

-Financial data across the database redone, should have closer to real-life salaries and balance

-Partial NHL organizational updates done, WIP over the next few weeks.

--Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, New
York Islanders, New York Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, San Jose, Tampa, Toronto, Vancouver, Vegas and Winnipeg completed

Known Issues:

If you experience a crash or error please report it here and provide me a copy of your save game: https://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=20353

-Due to some hard-coded game requirements (drafts and the season changeover dates of May 1st and July 1st) some leagues will not have realistic schedules, we have to work within the confides of the game. Expect mostly the same schedule dates of a normal season with new schedule templates or randomized regular season schedules.

-QMJHL Draft Bug - there is a known bug in EHM 1.4.1 where some teams lose their 1st and 2nd round draft choices in the first year of the sim (2021 QMJHL Draft). This has been escalated to SI Games for investigation.

-Due to extra_config issues from last year I have made the decision to greatly reduce the extra_config data to the maximum I can add with the database being stable, this removes a lot of real-life detail from the sim, there is nothing I can do about this until the 1.5 EHM patch is released.

--Any injury, contract extension, draft pick change or future retirement involving the Vegas Golden Knights CANNOT be added.

--NCAA and European future transfers CANNOT BE ADDED, this means real-life NCAA transfers WILL NOT EXIST in the DB at this current time, these players will still have the preference of playing for College clubs however.

--Some European arena moves CANNOT BE ADDED (some KHL and NLA arena transfers).

--CHL draft pick changes CANNOT BE ADDED without crashing, just too many to process across all three major junior leagues.

- Pooling of prospects on specific High School hockey clubs, who end up staying there until turning pro. Reported as a game bug and confirmed fixed in the upcoming 1.5 patch.

** FREE AGENCY GAME LIMITATIONS **

- Please note the game does not properly calculate player reputation for contract demands for free agents properly in year one, thus even Star player contract demands are likely to be a fraction of their real-life asks (maybe $4m max on a 1 year deal). There is nothing I can do to fix this with the DB. Years 2+ will be back to max contracts closer to real-life. This is fixed in the upcoming version 1.5 of the game.

** RECOMMENDED SETTINGS **

- Use the Early Start Date (July 2nd) and use a LARGE DB. If you still find day-to-day sim speed a little too long for your liking you can lower the DB size even further but keep in mind this will reduce the amount of non-playable clubs/leagues loaded into the simulation.

*** DO NOT SELECT A LOT OF LEAGUES - EVEN ON VIEW ONLY (10+), DUE TO A GAME ENGINE LIMITATION THIS WILL CAUSE A CRASH either in January or July of 2021 ***

--- Only select leagues you are interested in ever playing as a human-GM, or heavily scout from. There is no need to have all leagues selected for them to be included in the sim, it just removes the full detail of games and the historical data easily available for viewing.

Also:

- Disable All Extra Players & Staff
- Retain All Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad