East vs West Midseason Update

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I hope this puts to bed the whole "western conference is so much better, western players have it so hard" spiel.

Just because it's closer this year doesn't mean the West wasn't much better in previous years.

HOLDITHERE*

The two conferences are pretty even now actually, however I'd definitely say that the Central and Atlantic divisions are tougher than the Pacific and Metro.

The Central, I'll give you. The Pacific, this year borderline terrible. The Atlantic is even worse.

The Metro has 4 teams within 9 points of eachother. 7/8 have Playoff chances.

The Central has 4 teams within 2 points of eachother. 5/7 have Playoff chances.

RangersOwnNewYork*

The conferences are very even actually. I would still give a slight edge to the west. A case can be made that the Metro division is the best in the league. 4 teams with 52+ points and they all just keep on winning.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Even before last season when it was relatively even, a bunch of posters would still talk about the big tough west and the pansy east. I think most Western fans don't get much exposure on TV or in the media (outside of Chicago) so they say things things like that to make themselves feel better.

This post makes my brain hurt.

We are hockey fans, we are exposed to teams other than our own. Stop making us seem as if we are stupider and lesser than you.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I think he thinks that is showing the West total record vs. the East total record, which is wrong. It's showing the West record specifically against East teams, and vice versa

I think his point is that West plays against though West teams and are more tired when facing East teams than East are when facing West.

It's a horrible point though.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Cool. If the East had the better record I'd still maintain the best teams are in the West. But it's probably less of a gap than most people think.

That's a tough call. Tampa has been shredding teams despite a quiet season for Stamkos, likewise for Pittsburgh. Meanwhile, the powerhouse Sharks, Canucks and even Kings of prior years have all faded. While all three still boast respectable rosters, and the Kings always surprise in the playoffs. None seem as scary.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
I think his point is that West plays against though West teams and are more tired when facing East teams than East are when facing West.

It's a horrible point though.

The West is out there, mixing it up and playing the toughest minutes against the best in the game every night, day in, day out. While the east, well, the east is playing the east.

Yzlamic Preacher*

The West is out there, mixing it up and playing the toughest minutes against the best in the game every night, day in, day out. While the east, well, the east is playing the east.

What? The west plays the exact same amount against the east? 41 games. Your point is still wrong.

EDIT: Love the Macho Man pic btw.

goosemooseduck

Mar 19, 2009
Even before last season when it was relatively even, a bunch of posters would still talk about the big tough west and the pansy east. I think most Western fans don't get much exposure on TV or in the media (outside of Chicago) so they say things things like that to make themselves feel better.

There you go folks, hfboards psychologist Dr. SnowblindNYR figured out lack of TV exposure makes western fans feel inadequate,
therefore East > West

:shakehead

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008

This is very flawed logic and really doesn't make sense :help:

Fergus

Feb 16, 2014
A case can be made that the Metro division is the best in the league. 4 teams with 52+ points and they all just keep on winning.

Not even close. Why didn't you mention 4 team with less than 40 points when Atlantic has 1, Central 0 and Pacific 2? And the top teams in Metro get to feast on these terrible teams so comparing point totals is silly.

Central is clearly the best division.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Call me when your conference sniffs a Cup. Been what? 5 years?

That has to do with two teams, the Kings and the Blackhawks, not the Western Conference.

I really don't get the chest-thumping. Are people really that excited about another team winning the Cup that just so happens to play on the same side of North America. Hey guys, we share a time zone with the Kings, now there's something to be proud of! :laugh:

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
That has to do with two teams, the Kings and the Blackhawks, not the Western Conference.

I really don't get the chest-thumping. Are people really that excited about another team winning the Cup that just so happens to play on the same side of North America. Hey guys, we share a time zone with the Kings, now there's something to be proud of! :laugh:

Unlike the East where all the teams are in the same time zone LA only shares a time zone with 3 other Western teams. :sarcasm:

Yzlamic Preacher*

I don't get his point, but the West plays the West more than they do the East, and vice-versa.

Sorry for not being clear, but I was wrong. Here is the official break down of how the schedule will work.

For the West:

Here is a breakdown of the new schedule matrix created for the new alignment plan:

Western Conference (7-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 29 games

* 5 games vs. five teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. two teams, 2 Home/3 Away vs. three teams) AND 4 games vs. one team (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 5 =25 games

* 1 X 4 = 4 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 21 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. three teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 7 = 21 games

Non-Conference: 32 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 16 = 32 games

(Exception: one team from each division plays one less game inside Division and one more game inside Conference outside Division)

So the west will play the east 32 games in a season. 50 games in the west.

For the East:

Eastern Conference (8-team divisions)

Within Conference (Division): 30 games

* 5 games vs. two teams (3 Home/2 Away vs. one team, 2 Home/3 Away vs. one team) AND 4 games vs. five teams (2 Home/2 Away). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 5 X 2 =10 games

* 4 X 5 = 20 games

Within Conference (Non-Division): 24 games

* 3 games vs. each team (2 Home/1 Away vs. four teams, 1 Home/2 Away vs. four teams). Teams rotated on a yearly basis.

* 3 X 8 = 24 games

Non-Conference: 28 games

* 2 games vs. each team (1 Home/1 Away)

* 2 X 14 = 28 games

The difference is 4 games.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
The blues have owned the East so bad the last few years it has definitely made me think if the blues were in the metro they would win 55 games easy with 120pts

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Metro division is great now, it´s gonna be a bloodbath between those 4 teams come playoffs. As for the conferences, they´re clearly pretty even quality-wise. The only difference is that there are 16 teams in the East, that´s why making the POs in the East might be even tougher there. Ask Florida Panthers who are playing so well, but...

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

So by the time the playoffs roll around the West will be completely exhausted, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad