East vs West Midseason Update

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
did an excel speadsheet last year regarding that debate... since the 05 lockout it was close to .500 and the cups being +1 (now +2) in favor of the western conference... its too close to call but the better defense seems to be in the west

Thanks for the info.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Scoring per division:

Atlantic: 2,74
Metro: 2,74
Central: 2,67
Pacific: 2,87

East: 2,74
West: 2,77

League: 2,75

looks like Central is pretty tough to score goals

I wonder why.... 3 of the top 5 defensive units in the NHL....

And yet the central still has 3 guys in both the top 8 in points and goals.

Also. Good to see that the East is catching up a bit. But honestly they should have a better record against the West than the West does against the East. West teams have to travel way more that Eastern teams. Way less downtime for rest.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
The east is built for the regular season, The West is built for cups.

Ridiculous statement. What does that even mean? Do Eastern teams stop trying to win in the postseason? They only play other Eastern teams for the most part.

There's only one East vs West playoff series per year and it's the finals. With the best two teams (LA/CHI) in the league being in the West, it's not surprising the West wins the only East vs West match up in the post season.

The West isn't "built for cups" it simply has the two best teams that are winning cups. It's funny seeing all these Western fans riding on the coattails of the Kings and Blackhawks.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Ridiculous statement. What does that even mean? Do Eastern teams stop trying to win in the postseason? They only play other Eastern teams for the most part.

There's only one East vs West playoff series per year and it's the finals. With the best two teams (LA/CHI) in the league being in the West, it's not surprising the West wins the only East vs West match up in the post season.

The West isn't "built for cups" it simply has the two best teams that are winning cups. It's funny seeing all these Western fans riding on the coattails of the Kings and Blackhawks.

Well I guess this why we play the game on the ice not paper. If hockey was all about advanced stats maybe then the east could win a cup, lol, but until then, let the ice decide. And the sun melts ice. And it rises in the east, but sets in The West.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Well I guess this why we play the game on the ice not paper. If hockey was all about advanced stats maybe then the east could win a cup, lol, but until then, let the ice decide. And the sun melts ice. And it rises in the east, but sets in The West.

Your team isn't built for the cup.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The east is built for the regular season, The West is built for cups.

I wasn't aware he West won the Cup, I thought that was the LA KIngs. That's my mistake.

Of course that means the Rangers are pretty good. We actually won a game in the Finals despite bein up against the entire conference.

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York

Your team hasn't won a Cup since the 80s, why are you talking about Cups?

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Your team hasn't won a Cup since the 80s, why are you talking about Cups?

I think what he's saying is that if his team was in the East they'd breeze through to the finals and be well rested enough to beat whoever came out of the West every year.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think what he's saying is that if his team was in the East they'd breeze through to the finals and be well rested enough to beat whoever came out of the West every year.

The Rangers, Penguins, Lightning, and Habs are in the East. Nobody breezes through those teams, I don't care who they are. And that's just 4 teams, there's many more quality teams over here.

This whole narrative is made up by fans whose teams weren't good enought to get through the playoffs so they blame the conference.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
The Rangers, Penguins, Lightning, and Habs are in the East. Nobody breezes through those teams, I don't care who they are. And that's just 4 teams, there's many more quality teams over here.

This whole narrative is made up by fans whose teams weren't good enought to get through the playoffs so they blame the conference.

Well, I didn't mean that literally.

Second paragraph is true. You don't see Blackhawks or LA fans in these threads.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Yes. Exactly. But the West's inferiority complex (lack of confidence, self worth) leads them to constantly remind the East that they're the better conference. The "West is best" threads are never in response to someone claiming the opposite.

You're describing a superiority complex which a lot of Eastern teams fans have.
Well, I guess you can call it a superiority complex to overcompensate for an insecurity complex for eastern fans. I dunno.

But I'm not sure how you can say its an insecurity complex for western fans. The west has been better for years. Thats just reality. Western fans keep reminding eastern fans, because some eastern fans keep saying that the conferences are even (or some argue that the east is better) when its not. If it wasnt for the eastern fans arguing fantasy, the threads would all end pretty quickly.

Go find some old threads if you want. Some are started by eastern fans. Thats why I get a kick out of these arguments, since I dont understand why some eastern fans would argue something thats a.) wrong and b.) pointless. I can understand how someone could argue something thats wrong. Fans are passionate, and sometimes will argue something that has no basis in reality. But I’ve never understood how some can argue something like that the east is even or better (prior to this year), since its wrong, and shouldn’t evoke enough passion to argue something that’s wrong.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Well, I guess you can call it a superiority complex to overcompensate for an insecurity complex for eastern fans. I dunno.

But I'm not sure how you can say its an insecurity complex for western fans. The west has been better for years. Thats just reality. Western fans keep reminding eastern fans, because some eastern fans keep saying that the conferences are even (or some argue that the east is better) when its not. If it wasnt for the eastern fans arguing fantasy, the threads would all end pretty quickly.

Look dude, I'm just giving you the definition of the term here. Just because something/someone is clearly better than their 'rival' (for lack of a better term) doesn't mean they can't possibly suffer from feelings of insecurity, be it consciously or unconsciously.

The key word here is "some" Eastern fans. The amount of Western fan chest bumping is a lot higher than Eastern fan excuses. It may not seem like that recently because the inter conference records have been closer than they were 3-4 years ago.

Go find some old threads if you want. Some are started by eastern fans. Thats why I get a kick out of these arguments, since I dont understand why some eastern fans would argue something thats a.) wrong and b.) pointless. I can understand how someone could argue something thats wrong. Fans are passionate, and sometimes will argue something that has no basis in reality. But I’ve never understood how some can argue something like that the east is even or better (prior to this year), since its wrong, and shouldn’t evoke enough passion to argue something that’s wrong.

And I don't understand why some Western fans would feel the need to keep reminding Eastern fans that their conference is better.

A lot of these threads get started by butt hurt fans of teams that didn't make it in the West despite having more points than the last place team in the East.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The last time the Eastern Conference won the head to head was 1998-99. Yes you read that right.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
its settled..all-star game now must be east vs. west because that is the ONLY way to completely eliminate ANY controversy from this...the best players in both conferences just playing there hearts out and leaving it all on the ice in a all-star game will be the decider...right? who's with me?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Top-to-bottom, the conferences are about even. If one wants to argues that the elite teams of one conference is better than the elite teams of another, well that's a different question. But as a whole, the two conferences are fairly equal. Which is how it should be.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Look dude, I'm just giving you the definition of the term here. Just because something/someone is clearly better than their 'rival' (for lack of a better term) doesn't mean they can't possibly suffer from feelings of insecurity, be it consciously or unconsciously.
Possibly, but then again, maybe they are just pointing out that they are clearly better than their rival, without some underlying emotional issues.

Getzlaf The Great5*

The west has been much better, look at the cups. But saying that the east is much better this year. Still a ridiculous argument.

Getzlaf The Great5*

its settled..all-star game now must be east vs. west because that is the ONLY way to completely eliminate ANY controversy from this...the best players in both conferences just playing there hearts out and leaving it all on the ice in a all-star game will be the decider...right? who's with me?

Exactly. Lets leave it to these guys to sacrifice and battle to determine who is the better conference. Once and for all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->