Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Look what we got in the third round, I'd rather keep Glendening.
The point was I don't think it matters if we tank or not.

However there's prospects in rounds 3 & 4 I liked quite a bit. #98 Brandon Coe, especially but Cormier and Poirer have more than enough upside. Daws. I don't think it matters even a little bit, keep him because we can't sign everyone with so many picks in these down years. Especially when the draft is more of a crapshoot than ever during this unprecedented time. Extend and lose him to Seattle, they could do worse. Makes no difference.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Look what we got in the third round, I'd rather keep Glendening.
LGD is overpaid, 4th line centers with no offense usually go closer to $1M. Trade him and if he wants to come back, he takes a pay cut. I don't see any other team bidding high for him anyways. Holland outbid himself on Luke's extension, much like he did with Helm and Abby.

I bet all of the UFAs would come back for the right price even if they're traded. We aren't talking elite talent here, so sell all of them. Take a shot at some goalies with those picks. Halak, Rinne, Hasek, and Lundquist were all late round picks.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
upload_2020-11-23_22-58-27.png

Here is an early look of the top 20 players that are available this draft. Key takeaways are:

• Luke Hughes and Owen Power are right now the consensus top 2 defenders
  • Wallstedt is on par with Askarov
  • Raty is dropping down on lists
  • Lots of centers available.

Reactions: David D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Getting more and more comfortable of Wallstedt being our guy.

Like, Askarov played only one game in KHL at last season. Wallstedt is becoming SHL regular on his draft year, stealing the starting job from Rautio at Luleå ?

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Hopefully we get lucky and get Power and Bedard back to back drafts.
Well, that's not going to happen. Power is a 2021 eligible. Bedard is a 2023. Back-to-back would be Power-Wright or Wright-Bedard. I won't object to taking all three though.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Getting more and more comfortable of Wallstedt being our guy.

Like, Askarov played only one game in KHL at last season. Wallstedt is becoming SHL regular on his draft year, stealing the starting job from Rautio at Luleå ?

I would love for the Wings to get Wallstedt but I'd only consider Wallstedt if we're picking outside of the top 7. Looks like a legit #1 starter but I'm starting to like the idea of picking Kent Johnson. I was skeptical about his overall ceiling due to the league he came from, but the kid is looking really good at Michigan right now. Also, our top LD is going to be available somewhere between #1 and #7 in this year's draft.

This draft is going to be a tough one because there's a lot of centers and defensemen available. The opportunity cost for us at this draft is going to be pretty high when compared to others, and the later rounds don't look to be as good as 2018 and 2020. I'd love if we could find a trade partner to offload some of our 2nds for another 1st. Landing Wallstedt AND another defenseman? Yes please.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would love for the Wings to get Wallstedt but I'd only consider Wallstedt if we're picking outside of the top 7. Looks like a legit #1 starter but I'm starting to like the idea of picking Kent Johnson. I was skeptical about his overall ceiling due to the league he came from, but the kid is looking really good at Michigan right now. Also, our top LD is going to be available somewhere between #1 and #7 in this year's draft.

Damn, Yzerman should pull some trade, when some "sanjose" buys some of our player with their 1st rounder and will drop to bottom5 in standings.

Would be nice to pick twice at Top7.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Damn, Yzerman should pull some trade, when some "sanjose" buys some of our player with their 1st rounder and will drop to bottom5 in standings.

Would be nice to pick twice at Top7.
Didn't San Jose use their first to buy Karlsson? Who exactly are we trading? Larkin or Mantha?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
This class is actually growing on me quite a bit, despite the lack of a standout #1OA candidate.

Love watching both Johnson and Beniers for this UM team, I really think that both have top-6C upside. I get why Johnson is mocked higher, but something about Beniers game really appeals to me. I've been a fan since his time with the USNTDP. I'm also hearing good things about Eklund, but I'll have to watch more there.

At the same time. all of Power, Hughes, Edvinsson, and Lambos look like legit top 4 LHD prospects, each with top pairing potential. Clarke is absolutely in this mix too, but from what we've seen I do think Yzerman prioritizes handedness to some extent, so I think Clarke would have to really be a standout over the others for the Wings to draft him.

Assuming we're at least picking top 10, and likely closer to top 5, I doubt I'll be disappointed with whoever we take. The top end of this draft lines up so nicely with our two biggest needs (top 6C and top 4 LHD).

Like others mentioned, I'd love to take two swings in the top 12 or so, but I'm just not sure that we have the assets to add another lottery pick this year.

Reactions: David D

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
With no runaway candidate for 1st overall, this is going to be the year we land the 1st overall pick, isn’t it?

Reactions: Oddbob

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
With no runaway candidate for 1st overall, this is going to be the year we land the 1st overall pick, isn’t it?

Winning this lottery would be a phenomenal moment in the rebuild.

Option A: Pick your favorite of Power, Hughes, Lambos, or Edvinsson to complement Seider on the top pairing.

Option B: Pick your favorite of potentially Johnson, Eklund, Raty, or Beniers to fill our need for another legitimate top 6 center.

I'd be thrilled to win the #1 pick, or even a top 3 pick this draft.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Under option A I would take Power, Lambos, then Edvinson in that order. As for option B it would be Johnson. Sounds like Raty may be dropping out of top ten consideration if not lower

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Winning this lottery would be a phenomenal moment in the rebuild.

Option A: Pick your favorite of Power, Hughes, Lambos, or Edvinsson to complement Seider on the top pairing.

Option B: Pick your favorite of potentially Johnson, Eklund, Raty, or Beniers to fill our need for another legitimate top 6 center.

I'd be thrilled to win the #1 pick, or even a top 3 pick this draft.

It could also be an RNH #1 year. RNH is a good player, but not really exciting with #1 overall. Or worst yet, a Yakupov year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It could also be an RNH #1 year. RNH is a good player, but not really exciting with #1 overall. Or worst yet, a Yakupov year.
I'm thinking more like Ekblad type year. Picking a D with #1OA is definitely not a sexy pick.

Or we could get our Hedman (He was #2OA though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad