Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The conversation started with Henkka comparing Seider to Hedman. Probably not fair to use an elite player like that as a comparison, but he had 21 pts in 43 games in the SHL in his draft season, and his mechanics were far better.

Pre Draft Video:
Victor Hedman | Victor Hedman Profile | Victor Hedman Scouting Report 2009

The point was he's not close to being Hedman because he has no shot. Go back and read through the posts, that was my comment.

I don't think you understand the concept of a stylistic comparison

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
IF we were to get a top 3 pick as of now I would go 1.powers 2.beniers and 3 is a toss up between Johnson, lamb's, Clarke I feel like if we do take a D first pick what's wrong with building a strong team from defense out. You can always trade if we have surpluses I feel like Nashville does this a lot given they have a awesome track record for defense development

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
People sleeping on Hughes

I don't think it's that. The kid has looked pretty good and his skating has looked even better than last season. I think he ends up the most defensive minded of the Hughes family. Looking very much like a solid top 10 pick.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Seider has some things over Hedman at a comparable age, I think stylistically it's still a decent comparison.

I don't think you understand the concept of a stylistic comparison

Watch the video of Hedman in the SHL, if you think Hedman and Seider are stylistically comparable, I have no idea what either of you are watching.

Seider is more physical, but Hedman was able to skate by defenders in the same league at a much younger age. Seider doesn;t do that in the offensive zone. Aside from style, the lack of a shot is a skill deficiency that needs to be addressed. He's 19, I've seen better slapshots in pickup hockey.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think Scott Wheelers list is a great list. He didn’t try to do something controversial in order to cause discussion. I likely wouldn’t have had Walstedt so high and would have ranked Olausson higher but I don’t have his expertise or knowledge so I’ll go with him

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Behind a paywall, but what are the positions for our prospects?

It's a list for the upcoming draft, not currently-drafted prospects.

Because you mentioned that you're a Luke Hughes fan, I will point out that Wheeler has him at #9 right now, but also mentioned his potential to rise up that list.

Reactions: Killerjas

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
SO the more i think about it if we pick top 5 and Powers is available i feel like i take him. imgine having Seider on the right and Power on the left for our top pair and having Hornek on the second pair right side.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
SO the more i think about it if we pick top 5 and Powers is available i feel like i take him. imgine having Seider on the right and Power on the left for our top pair and having Hornek on the second pair right side.

If we get Power, I'll see him and Seider at different pairs. And that will be era like having Lidström and Konstantinov at different pairs. That makes a great Top4, no matter what their partners are.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
If we get Power, I'll see him and Seider at different pairs. And that will be era like having Lidström and Konstantinov at different pairs. That makes a great Top4, no matter what their partners are.
Agreed. We've were really spoiled over the years on defense with Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Chelios, Coffey, Rafalski, Murphy, Kronwall, Schneider, et cetera. It'd be nice to get back into a position where defense is a strength. I'd run with these pairings:

Johansson - Seider
Power - Hronek
(whoever) - Wallinder

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Agreed. We've were really spoiled over the years on defense with Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Chelios, Coffey, Rafalski, Murphy, Kronwall, Schneider, et cetera. It'd be nice to get back into a position where defense is a strength. I'd run with these pairings:

Johansson - Seider
Power - Hronek
(whoever) - Wallinder

That's kinda what I'm hoping. Those are good pairings. I think you need 5 really good defensemen, with one or two being elite, to be a contender. The Wings are a long way off, but if we nabbed Power (or one of the other few highly-regarded LHDs), and Johansson and Wallinder reach their ceilings, we've got the makings of a very good D corps.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
That's kinda what I'm hoping. Those are good pairings. I think you need 5 really good defensemen, with one or two being elite, to be a contender. The Wings are a long way off, but if we nabbed Power (or one of the other few highly-regarded LHDs), and Johansson and Wallinder reach their ceilings, we've got the makings of a very good D corps.
Agreed. Full disclosure, I still take Hughes over Power, but any of Clarke, Lambos, Power, or Hughes would (potentially) be huge for this team.

It would be pretty tempting to pick up a forward, but I hope we grab a defenseman. A top six with Raymond, Zadina, Mantha, and Lysell or Guenther flanking the wings would be sick. Or we could work on bulking our center position and pick up one of Beniers, Eklund, or Johnson to run before/behind Larkin.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Agreed. Full disclosure, I still take Hughes over Power, but any of Clarke, Lambos, Power, or Hughes would (potentially) be huge for this team.

It would be pretty tempting to pick up a forward, but I hope we grab a defenseman. A top six with Raymond, Zadina, Mantha, and Lysell or Guenther flanking the wings would be sick. Or we could work on bulking our center position and pick up one of Beniers, Eklund, or Johnson to run before/behind Larkin.

Edvinsson. You forgot him.

His NHL comparable is Oliver Ekman-Larsson

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Edvinsson. You forgot him.

His NHL comparable is Oliver Ekman-Larsson
If the Wings were picking in the 8-12 range, sure, Edvinsson is a fine pick, but I've watched Edvinsson a lot, and I wouldn't take him over any of the defensemen I listed. His shot is pretty weak, and he makes way too many sketchy decisions and turnovers that lead to rushes the other way. Whenever I watch Frolunda, I walk away more impressed with Gabrielsson, who covers for a lot of Edvinsson's panicky moments and has been more effective offensively. Granted, we're projecting futures, and Edvinsson is a big-bodied, smooth-skating defenseman, so I would still take him before Gabrielsson, but his hockey sense isn't on the same level as the other four defensemen in the top tier.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I'm not a scout, so take this with a grain of salt...but I don't understand the love-fest for Hughes. He's a combined -17 with the USNDTP, and doesn't produce offensively. What am I missing? Is it just pure projection because his brothers are good? Just because he's 6'2 and his brothers are small?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If the Wings were picking in the 8-12 range, sure, Edvinsson is a fine pick, but I've watched Edvinsson a lot, and I wouldn't take him over any of the defensemen I listed. His shot is pretty weak, and he makes way too many sketchy decisions and turnovers that lead to rushes the other way. Whenever I watch Frolunda, I walk away more impressed with Gabrielsson, who covers for a lot of Edvinsson's panicky moments and has been more effective offensively. Granted, we're projecting futures, and Edvinsson is a big-bodied, smooth-skating defenseman, so I would still take him before Gabrielsson, but his hockey sense isn't on the same level as the other four defensemen in the top tier.

Draft both? :sarcasm:

I think they should just rename Frolunda the Red Wings at this point.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Highlight reel goal by Kent Johnson last night. Hopefully someone smarter than me can post it.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I'm not a scout, so take this with a grain of salt...but I don't understand the love-fest for Hughes. He's a combined -17 with the USNDTP, and doesn't produce offensively. What am I missing? Is it just pure projection because his brothers are good? Just because he's 6'2 and his brothers are small?
Elite skating. Very good hockey sense. Good size. Good positioning and gap control. Not as "skilled" offensively as his brothers, but he has a good offensive toolkit, or at least has looked better than I was expecting prior to watching him. I'll be curious to see how much his offense develops this year. In theory, he can afford to take more risks than the other guys in his draft class simply because he's such a great skater. And no, it certainly doesn't hurt that he gets to train with Quinn and Jack Hughes during the summer.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad