Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Eliprospects has William Eklund #1 overall on their list.

How funny draft this is, it already has 10 different players listed #1-#2 at some point.

Power, Clarke, Hughes, Johnson, Lambos, Edvinsson, Guenther, Räty, Beniers, Eklund.

Like versus two previous, Hughes-Kakko was 1-2 in every list and Lafreniere-Byfield-Stutzle 1-2-3, where nobody did put Stutzle first.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Eliprospects has William Eklund #1 overall on their list.

How funny draft this is, it already has 10 different players listed #1-#2 at some point.

Power, Clarke, Hughes, Johnson, Lambos, Edvinsson, Guenther, Räty, Beniers, Eklund.

Like versus two previous, Hughes-Kakko was 1-2 in every list and Lafreniere-Byfield-Stutzle 1-2-3, where nobody did put Stutzle first.
I think Eklund would be a disappointing #1, great consolation prize at #4-10 though.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Power/Hughes/Edvinsson

Get your guy you can pair with Seider for half the game every night. That also bumps Hronek down a pair so he can play easier minutes and focus more on the offensive side.

Agreed. Our defense isn't yet where it needs to be, and given that defensemen generally take longer to develop than forwards, I'd be disappointed if we end up picking a forward in the top five this year and kicking that can further down the road.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I've only seen guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk do that. Wow. And maybe never as filthy as that.

Dude, I’ve been saying it for a bit now; Eklund has a bit of Zetterberg in his game. Watch his puck protection. 5’10” but damn near impossible to get the puck away from him.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Number 1? That might be too much. 3-8? Definitely. I don’t know if Eklund is going to be a center or winger, but I’m confident he will be a top 6 guy at minimum.

To be fair, he did say that the ranks for everyone will be bastardized more or less. I think it just kinda reflects what this thread has really shown us. People like the idea of players, but it’s just so limited that you really are banking on that idea being accurate.

I like Eklund a lot, I like Johnson a lot, Beniers.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is just the wrong way to think.

You get players you want and don't care about the position.
At the top of the draft there are many players to want. If we happen to get #1OA and Yzerman & Co. deem Eklund the best choice.. so be it. I just don't view him as that much higher caliber than Raymond/Zadina and I want a little more at #1OA. We would have an opportunity to seriously adress either our LHD or Center.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
At the top of the draft there are many players to want. If we happen to get #1OA and Yzerman & Co. deem Eklund the best choice.. so be it. I just don't view him as that much higher caliber than Raymond/Zadina and I want a little more at #1OA. We would have an opportunity to seriously adress either our LHD or Center.

So my current thoughts as of today, Lucas Raymond would be the favorite to go #1 if he were in the 2021 draft class. So if you hold Eklund in the same breath as Raymond, then you are looking at a first overall caliber player in this draft class...in my opinion. The talent just isn't super high end here.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I’ve only watched Djurgardens twice this year but Eklund was playing center in one of them. So that would address the center position unless you’re saying he doesn’t project to this position in the NHL?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I’ve only watched Djurgardens twice this year but Eklund was playing center in one of them. So that would address the center position unless you’re saying he doesn’t project to this position in the NHL?
I'm not sure if that's accurate, he is at least at 0 faceoffs taken this season. Definitely wouldn't draft him on the basis of hoping he can become a center at the pro level.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I'm not sure if that's accurate, he is at least at 0 faceoffs taken this season. Definitely wouldn't draft him on the basis of hoping he can become a center at the pro level.
At least positionally he was center for the shifts I saw. Hard to recall if someone took his draws for him as I wasn’t paying 100% attention (my one year old is crazy).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Those who expect him to play center at the NHL level are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I've said this already a couple times but Johnson looking as good as he does already on the same team as a guy like Beniers has me leaning him. Beniers played for a team that is basically to prepare him for college hockey and Johnson still looks ahead offensively by a decent amount. Beniers is more well rounded for sure but hes also played in a better league that had a lot more focus on systems and structure. I think a couple years from now, Beniers will be a good player but Johnson with a few more years in good leagues could be a deadly offensive player.

As for Power, its easier for forwards to show those flashes young, but he definitely showed that in the USHL last year. He had a slow start in the NCAA this year but is coming on now. I think Johnson is the best pick for the wings situation out of the three, but if they dont move the draft back a bit, Power and Beniers are both safer and might be a better pick because theyve got extensive track records

I like Johnson, but every time I watch a Michigan game I walk away thinking that he is really good when he has the puck, but he really should have the puck much more for a player of his quality. I can't decide if it is an issue of being passive and trying to play a counter-punchers game, not playing his natural position, something with how he sees and reacts to the play or something with his skating (which needs to improve). I feel like the puck should follow him around a bit more. I think he an Beniers are oil and water in terms of how they play the game. I can support drafting either of them though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With no clear standout, I would almost look for who I think has the most room for growth.

I think Luke Hughes is most appealing from that perspective. Just missed the cutoff for next year's draft, and his family is kind of late bloomers physically. Has good tools and is producing pretty well in the USDP. Could be just scratching the surface.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
With no clear standout, I would almost look for who I think has the most room for growth.

I think Luke Hughes is most appealing from that perspective. Just missed the cutoff for next year's draft, and his family is kind of late bloomers physically. Has good tools and is producing pretty well in the USDP. Could be just scratching the surface.

Hughes' age is very attractive in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad