Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Or, have a 25 minute LD and 25 minute RD and keep them separate so you almost always have a beast out there.

Agreed. If we drafted Power or Lambos especially, I could see them anchoring a "second" pairing alongside Hronek, while Seider plays with (unnamed LHD) on the "top" pairing.

Hughes I think would actually complement Seider well, as I think they excel in some different ways, but he could also anchor another pairing. I haven't seen enough of Edvinsson to really say where he'd fit in.

Reactions: MBH

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I don't think COVID is going to let me see enough of the draft-eligibles this year to confidently draw up a mock ranking. But I will say that I've seen enough of the Michigan freshmen (Beniers/Johnson/Power) and Luke Hughes where I'd be very comfortable with the Wings taking any of them with our 1st. I like what I've seen from Eklund and Lambos, but I haven't seen enough to have a really strong opinion. I like what I hear about Edvinsson and Guenther, but I've seen even less of these two. Wallstedt looks like he'll be a good NHL starting goaltender, but that's not the route I'd personally go with our 1st. Players like Lysell, Clarke, and Olausson are interesting, but since they don't really fill our biggest positional needs they'd really have to stand out to me.

I think we'll be able to add another player in the same rough tier as Zadina/Seider/Raymond, and beyond that you just gotta cross your fingers and hope for a potential home run.

Reactions: wingerdinger

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I don't think COVID is going to let me see enough of the draft-eligibles this year to confidently draw up a mock ranking. But I will say that I've seen enough of the Michigan freshmen (Beniers/Johnson/Power) and Luke Hughes where I'd be very comfortable with the Wings taking any of them with our 1st. I like what I've seen from Eklund and Lambos, but I haven't seen enough to have a really strong opinion. I like what I hear about Edvinsson and Guenther, but I've seen even less of these two. Wallstedt looks like he'll be a good NHL starting goaltender, but that's not the route I'd personally go with our 1st. Players like Lysell, Clarke, and Olausson are interesting, but since they don't really fill our biggest positional needs they'd really have to stand out to me.

I think we'll be able to add another player in the same rough tier as Zadina/Seider/Raymond, and beyond that you just gotta cross your fingers and hope for a potential home run.
Of the spurts I've seen of Edvinsson he's a smooth skating lanky puck moving defensemen. Could play equally well with sieder or hronek imo. And with our connections with frolunda and our tendency to go European I feel he's our guy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

This draft I've got Olausson pegged as a late 1st to early 2nd and really hope he falls to us. Even though he was playing limited minutes on the 4th line at the WJC the dude was tenacious on the forecheck. Very good hands, great speed. He reminds me a lot of Jacob Perreault and JJ Peterka from 2020.

Earlier this year I thought the big 3 of defensemen would be Power/Clarke/Lambos but now it's looking like it's Hughes/Power/Edvinsson. I want to like Power more but he hasn't wowed me as much as I hoped he would. I think he'll be a player but I'm not sure whether he's got more Erik Johnson or Jack Johnson in his game.

Hughes really impresses me with his ability to be a one-man breakout which is something that we're sorely lacking. I think Edvinsson can also take it from our end to the neutral zone with high efficiency as well.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
What concerns me about Luke Hughes is his brother Quinn. There is a thread on this site under new posts entitled “ Is Quinn Hughes overrated ?” Then it talks about how horrid he is defensively. I assume his offense outweighs his defense but if they are already bringing the point up it makes me wonder. Luke is described as an offense first defenseman. How is his defense, maybe it’s fine I’ve never seen him?

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
What concerns me about Luke Hughes is his brother Quinn. There is a thread on this site under new posts entitled “ Is Quinn Hughes overrated ?” Then it talks about how horrid he is defensively. I assume his offense outweighs his defense but if they are already bringing the point up it makes me wonder. Luke is described as an offense first defenseman. How is his defense, maybe it’s fine I’ve never seen him?
Well, for one, Quinn and Luke are different people, so any analysis of Quinn is pretty irrelevant unless we're assessing family medical history or some such. Secondly, Luke is generally seen as worse offensively and better defensively than Quinn was at the same age.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Do you think anyone in this draft can jump into the nhl next year. I can’t see anyone who looks like he can do it. If I had to pick someone I’d go with Ecklund

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Do you think anyone in this draft can jump into the nhl next year. I can’t see anyone who looks like he can do it. If I had to pick someone I’d go with Ecklund

Maybe Beniers as well. His skating and motor would help any team's 2nd or 3rd line.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
There are three players that are ranked around 12-20 that I think can move up the draft board. Maybe not, quite reaching the top 5 but close. I love the scoring and tenacity of Zach L'Heureaux (C/W), Xavier Bourgault (C/W), and Cole Sillinger (C/W). All play with a bit of an edge and can put the puck in the net at a high rate. L'Heureaux is my favorite because he is nasty and gets the other team off their game. He is also said to be a leader and the team follows his lead and attitude. With that being said, here are my top 10 currently for the Wings but I may have to raise up the three guys mentioned if they keep producing.

1. Owen Powers, LHD
2. Carson Lambos, LHD
3. William Eklund, C
4. Kent Johnson, C/W
5. Luke Hughes, LHD
6. Matt Beniers, C/W
7. Dylan Guenther, W
8. Zach L'Heureaux, C/W
9. Xavier Bourgault, C/W
10. Cole Sillinger, C/W

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
As of today i say we draft wallstedt ,we’re all hoping petruzzelli makes it but hes our only hope in nets atm and after seeing larsson win ncaa awards and now struggling im not counting on petruzzelli until he continues to prove to us he can be a #1

They’res some great d’s but we got seider and hronek , i do think johansson is a hidden gem and will be an nhler and then we gotta hope at least one of wallinder/tuomisto pan out and mcisaac comes back from injury and maybe some others like viro etc... pan out + theres always this years draft , maybe yzerman makes a trade for a dunn type dman

We need a young #1 backstopper , seasons still young so maybe my opinion will change later on but for now its wallstedt

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
MCKEEN'S 2021 NHL DRAFT RANKING - Preliminary Ranking - February 2021

McKeen's put out their preliminary ranking. Not a big fan of this list personally, but it's a weird year.

Top 10:

1. Matty Beniers (C)
2. Owen Power (LHD)
3. Luke Hughes (LHD)
4. Jesper Wallstedt (G)
5. Simon Edvinsson (LHD)
6. Brandt Clarke (RHD)
7. Dylan Guenther (RW)
8. Fabian Lysell (RW)
9. Aatu Raty (C)
10. William Eklund (LW)

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
As of today i say we draft wallstedt ,we’re all hoping petruzzelli makes it but hes our only hope in nets atm and after seeing larsson win ncaa awards and now struggling im not counting on petruzzelli until he continues to prove to us he can be a #1

They’res some great d’s but we got seider and hronek , i do think johansson is a hidden gem and will be an nhler and then we gotta hope at least one of wallinder/tuomisto pan out and mcisaac comes back from injury and maybe some others like viro etc... pan out + theres always this years draft , maybe yzerman makes a trade for a dunn type dman

We need a young #1 backstopper , seasons still young so maybe my opinion will change later on but for now its wallstedt
If we get the dman selection we could have one of the best dman cores for the next 10-15 years and then it doesn't matter who our goalie is.

I wouldn't be against tried back into the first round to get wallstedt.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
If we get the dman selection we could have one of the best dman cores for the next 10-15 years and then it doesn't matter who our goalie is.

I would love if Stevie could exploit a desperate GM to get a 1st somehow. This draft is eerily like 2012 where the talent is pretty even throughout the first round (meaning no obviously elite players) so maybe teams will value their picks less and be more willing to make a move? Picking up Wallstedt in the mid-1st just like Vasilevsky would be so diabolical it would be like a dream come true.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I would love if Stevie could exploit a desperate GM to get a 1st somehow. This draft is eerily like 2012 where the talent is pretty even throughout the first round (meaning no obviously elite players) so maybe teams will value their picks less and be more willing to make a move? Picking up Wallstedt in the mid-1st just like Vasilevsky would be so diabolical it would be like a dream come true.
Dream scenario.

Reactions: lilidk and Tetsuo

William Rusco

Dec 16, 2020

If this scenario plays out I'm taking 2 centers.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Simon robertsson of skelleftea is a really interesting 2nd round option. Good skating and very physical. Just showed off a rocket of a shot.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019

All depends , heard elmer soderblom’s brother is the goalie for skeleftea and #2 in save percentage , 21 and 6’3 if we could sign him to go with petruzzelli and bednar , maybe draft a goalie with our next 4 picks next draft then our pipeline might look good enough that we can pass on wallstedt

But i also like our d prospect pool , all depends what yzerman does i suspect there will be some good players available by trade due to the Seattle draft

William Rusco

Dec 16, 2020
Save the centers for the 2022 draft. We have to be able to get 1 of Wright, lambert or savoie.

Why wait. If we get a 2nd 1st rnd pick and 2 quality C are availible, why wait. There is no guarantee Wright, Lambert or Savoie will be available.

Looking at our C depth, there is none. Veleno right now looks like a bottom 6. Rasmussen will probably better serve as a Winger.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Why wait. If we get a 2nd 1st rnd pick and 2 quality C are availible, why wait. There is no guarantee Wright, Lambert or Savoie will be available.

Looking at our C depth, there is none. Veleno right now looks like a bottom 6. Rasmussen will probably better serve as a Winger.
I'm very anxious about the orgs center depth as well, but I don't think there's an obvious big time center available in this draft. Kent Johnson maybe, but he also may have to play wing at the NHL level.

So imo if trade back into the 1st round itd be for wallstedt.

Last edited:

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
McKeens list is a bit of a head scratcher all right. The strangest pick of all those lists is Elites rank of Pinelli at 6.

William Rusco

Dec 16, 2020
I'm very anxious about the orgs center depth as well, but I don't think there's an obvious big time center available in this draft. Kent Johnson maybe, but he also may have to play wing at the NHL level.

So imo if trade back into the 1st round itd be for wallstedt.

The original thread was the aquiring a 2nd 1stst round pick. I usually like the best pick available. Having 2 1st rnd picks, 2 centers with our lack of depth makes sense.

I also understand the need for a top line LHD.

I'm not a big preponant of a goalie as a 1st rnd pick. 2nd rnd possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad