Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
There's great talent in this draft. Several players worthy of #1.
I haven't dug in yet, but I see so many great players at the positions we need to fill.

Wallstedt (G), Eklund (C), Edvinsson (D), Hughes (D) and then Beniers (C) for me. In that order.

I'd add Brandt Clarke if I could see some actual games of his in Slovakia.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
There's great talent in this draft. Several players worthy of #1.
I haven't dug in yet, but I see so many great players at the positions we need to fill.

I mean someone has to be worthy of #1 overall, but I don’t see a single player in this batch at this point that has me convinced they would be in the lottery discussion last year. And I think at this stage I’d still prefer to gamble on Raymond’s skill set in terms of finding a top line talent than anyone in this draft class.

Johnson is the one guy I keep coming back to as the pure skill to play his way into the conversation. Power has the same physical profile that made Byfield tantalizing, but I think that even Byfield has flashed the elite tier of talent more than Power has. You really have to hope Power has the Seider-like emergence in the next few years in terms of being able to really dictate play at various levels. Whether that’s world juniors, NCAA, AHL, you need to see him be that horse.

Then there’s Beniers, who just doesn’t seem to have the offensive upside to really force the hand of a lottery team at this point. Eklund is intriguing if you think he can stick at center. He’s my current betting favorite for the Wings pick because why wouldn’t they go after a Swede playing in the SHL at an impressive level.

The other defenseman scare me a bit just because I don’t feel super great about my ability to pick apart the traits of offensive leaning defensemen that translate well. I think I trust Rzombo and TZE most in that area as of right now.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I dunno, looks pretty deep to me, just no elite generational talent.

Yeah, I don't think there is a ton separating the top six or seven guys. Maybe there is but we just aren't seeing it because not everyone is playing. That is certainly a type of depth.

Also, in most drafts I feel pretty confident that I could select the best player to come out of the class if you gave me three picks. I would still miss some years but my conviction level would still be pretty high. This year I honestly have no idea who that player is and don't even want to entertain a guess at this point.

All of this is the reason we are destine to win the draft lottery this year.

Now more than ever we really need a World U18 tournament at the end of the season.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd get the most NHL ready prospect like Seider, Tkachuck, older Hughes

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
AA looks incredible playing with Kopitar , what did we got for him?

He's playing with Jeff Carter from what I saw, not Kopitar. And he has scored 3 goals in 3 games on 3 shots, but I wouldn't say he's been incredible. One goal was on a shot that clean beat the Colorado goalie from the top of the circle. The other two were garbage goals. Actually skating to the net against a Minnesota team that is pretty bad.

Not trying to shit on the guy, but I'm gonna shit on the guy.
He's still looked bad defensively, though he's moving his feet more than he did with us. Still bad. We're better off with the picks and Ryan. The games that we just played against Carolina and Columbus would have exposed him for the liability he is.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
2020 2nd (Theodor Niederbach) + 2021 2nd + Gagner

Yzerman also traded that #45 overall EDM 2nd down with 6 spots to get #51 overall (Niederbach) + extra 4th (97th overall) and drafted Sam Stange.
Not bad

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So Edvinsson was #2 on Bob’s poll... and we have been hitting Europe super hard in the early rounds.

If I had to put money on our pick, that’d be it.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
So Edvinsson was #2 on Bob’s poll... and we have been hitting Europe super hard in the early rounds.

If I had to put money on our pick, that’d be it.
I'd have no problems with that Simon's everything you think of when you think Swedish defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad