Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Wonder if the USHL is going to maybe get a little extra attention this year?

This kid seems interesting:
Matthew Samoskevich at eliteprospects.com

USHL is going to get a lot of attention (if they can keep playing) because kids from the WHL on both sides of the border are starting to find their way onto USHL rosters. Sillinger and Savoie are now there. That influx of talent (regardless of how long it lasts) only increases the quality of competition in the league.

Life is good when you are the only show in town.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
USHL is going to get a lot of attention (if they can keep playing) because kids from the WHL on both sides of the border are starting to find their way onto USHL rosters. Sillinger and Savoie are now there. That influx of talent (regardless of how long it lasts) only increases the quality of competition in the league.

Life is good when you are the only show in town.

Didn't realize Sillinger was there.

Big, big fan of Cole.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Me trying to decide which one of these Michigan freshmen I like best

tenor.gif

All three looking excellent tonight

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Trade down. Draft the Swedish goalie!

Wallstedt has been excellent this year.

I don't want to rehash the Askarov debate, but I still probably don't take Wallstedt over the main crop of skaters this year (Johnson, Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, Power, Hughes, Edvinsson, Clarke/Lambos). I still just see too many holes in our roster and prospect pool to justify taking a goalie with our high first.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I just watched a replay of the UM - Notre Dame game.

Like: Beniers work ethic. It's been a typical Notre Dame game of grinding it out but Beniers has looked really good in all 3 zones.
Johnson's passing has looked very Zegras-esque. Deadly accurate no look passes but not too noticeable off the puck.
Brendan Brisson is another guy that's been doing quite a bit. He's been all over the ice and has been a solid contributor in all zones.
Dislike: Owen Powers agility and passing. The guy was turning about as fast as a freighter on the Detroit river. His passing accuracy is great when standing still or skating slow but when in stride it's way off.

Reactions: lilidk

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Just a reminder that we have three 2nd round picks. Edm & Nyr. Neither team is doing great although it’s early.

4 picks in the top 40 would be sweet.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just a reminder that we have three 2nd round picks. Edm & Nyr. Neither team is doing great although it’s early.

4 picks in the top 40 would be sweet.

Oh dear, we have more points than NYR.

Don't think Edmonton will end being at bottom8, one borderline pick.

DET 1st - 4th overall
-----------------------------32 picks on first round (Seattle too)
DET 2nd - 33rd overall
NYR 2nd - ~35th overall
EDM 2nd - probably anything from 40 to 50. Too early to say.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Oh dear, we have more points than NYR.

Don't think Edmonton will end being at bottom8, one borderline pick.

DET 1st - 4th overall
-----------------------------32 picks on first round (Seattle too)
DET 2nd - 33rd overall
NYR 2nd - ~35th overall
EDM 2nd - probably anything from 40 to 50. Too early to say.

Maybe we find a partner in Holland and turn those 2nds into another 1st? This is a draft I'd consider sacrificing 2 or more of them for another shot in the 1st if Wallstedt is available.

Reactions: golffuul

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Johnson is the one guy I keep coming back to as the pure skill to play his way into the conversation. Power has the same physical profile that made Byfield tantalizing, but I think that even Byfield has flashed the elite tier of talent more than Power has. You really have to hope Power has the Seider-like emergence in the next few years in terms of being able to really dictate play at various levels. Whether that’s world juniors, NCAA, AHL, you need to see him be that horse.

I've said this already a couple times but Johnson looking as good as he does already on the same team as a guy like Beniers has me leaning him. Beniers played for a team that is basically to prepare him for college hockey and Johnson still looks ahead offensively by a decent amount. Beniers is more well rounded for sure but hes also played in a better league that had a lot more focus on systems and structure. I think a couple years from now, Beniers will be a good player but Johnson with a few more years in good leagues could be a deadly offensive player.

As for Power, its easier for forwards to show those flashes young, but he definitely showed that in the USHL last year. He had a slow start in the NCAA this year but is coming on now. I think Johnson is the best pick for the wings situation out of the three, but if they dont move the draft back a bit, Power and Beniers are both safer and might be a better pick because theyve got extensive track records

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Showcase tourney would be nice, definitely would pay to watch that. The 2 drafts a couple days apart is even more interesting as you could probably get a little more creative in trades if you were targeting a specific player from each. It would also allow for more scouting on the ‘21 crop.

WHL still plans to play 24-game season. If OHL does the same, then all prospects have played.

Memorial Cup is supposed to be July 17th, just before current regular draft timetable.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I've said this already a couple times but Johnson looking as good as he does already on the same team as a guy like Beniers has me leaning him. Beniers played for a team that is basically to prepare him for college hockey and Johnson still looks ahead offensively by a decent amount. Beniers is more well rounded for sure but hes also played in a better league that had a lot more focus on systems and structure. I think a couple years from now, Beniers will be a good player but Johnson with a few more years in good leagues could be a deadly offensive player.

As for Power, its easier for forwards to show those flashes young, but he definitely showed that in the USHL last year. He had a slow start in the NCAA this year but is coming on now. I think Johnson is the best pick for the wings situation out of the three, but if they dont move the draft back a bit, Power and Beniers are both safer and might be a better pick because theyve got extensive track records

Johnson vs. Beniers is similar to Zegras (Johnson) vs. Turcotte (Turcotte) in quality. I guess it's what is more important to our team at the end of the day. However, I think that Beniers is a better prospect than Turcotte at the same level so it will make the decision a little bit tougher.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
WHL still plans to play 24-game season. If OHL does the same, then all prospects have played.

Memorial Cup is supposed to be July 17th, just before current regular draft timetable.
I never said they didn’t play but rather they’d (2021 draftees) get more games if they pushed it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad