Early look at 2020 QMJHL draft so far

rolliethegoalie

Aug 25, 2018
Have you seen LaStarza recently? He puts lots of work into him game but being away for two years is tough to compare also playing 16u vs midget/u18 makes a big difference. Very similar for Furlong and others that went to the US. 16u in the US is a very good league but there is a piece missing trying to compare to our midget league, especially in Quebec and Western Canada.

There are some very good players that have not been seen very much for a year or more.
Ramsay from NS, Hinkley and Guy from NB, Casey from NL. From my understanding all went to play in more challenging leagues?

at the same time most are a little behind the competitive landscape and skill set of Quebec, fast and skilled.
Rink Eyes - exactly my sentiment. When was the last time you have seen some of these players to speak of their compete level - let alone the rest of their game. We are entitled our opinions but let's make sure that they are current rather than dispelling myths.

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
Have you seen LaStarza recently? He puts lots of work into him game but being away for two years is tough to compare also playing 16u vs midget/u18 makes a big difference. Very similar for Furlong and others that went to the US. 16u in the US is a very good league but there is a piece missing trying to compare to our midget league, especially in Quebec and Western Canada.

There are some very good players that have not been seen very much for a year or more.
Ramsay from NS, Hinkley and Guy from NB, Casey from NL. From my understanding all went to play in more challenging leagues?

at the same time most are a little behind the competitive landscape and skill set of Quebec, fast and skilled.

You make a good point about leagues and the varying degree of competition. For example the kids who play in the US for the most part play against their own age (Selects, mount Saint Charles). Often stats are good there because of this. Then you get prep schools such as Stanstead varsity where Ryan hopkins and Cameron maclean are. I watched two stanstead games very recently and I couldn’t believe how good the hockey was. It was very much like junior. Limited time and not much space. Bigger bodies and older kids. The difference being that that league is heavy in higher end 17-18 years olds with NCAA commitments or looking for one. It is hard to compare this league to other leagues including the local midget AAA circuits. I Will say tho that both Hopkins and MacLean are high end talents and look very good against older competition. I see them both going early as long as NCAA isn’t in their plans. I can understand how Huckins made a smoooth
Transition to the Q as a 16 YO after playing at stanstead.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018

GTHL minor midgets is the fastest most skilled league in the Country. U-16 north and south of the borders is watered down,hence the inflated stats. Some programs are great at developing though and should nots be disregarded.
U-18 is more of a rugged and mature game.
Thé Qc leagues are always typically good.

So to say one routes is better than another is préférence or bias. It still comes down to the player.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
My opinion from what I see, my top players are the following:

Ds:
Luneau
Furlong
Menard
Warren
Hopkins

Fs:
Lastarza
Carruthers
Verreault
Dylan Andrews
Donvan Arsenault
Vetrano

what separates these guys from the rest is the compete level in my honest opinion.
Points are all good, but what we look at, at this level is, can they adjust to any level of play without the PUCK, very important for an elite player to learn how to play without the Puck.

With you bringing up compete level and play without the puck,there’s some obvious omissions from your list that could replace some on there’s.
It makes for good conversation

MARITIMESHOCKI

Nov 7, 2019
GTHL minor midgets is the fastest most skilled league in the Country. U-16 north and south of the borders is watered down,hence the inflated stats. Some programs are great at developing though and should nots be disregarded.
U-18 is more of a rugged and mature game.
Thé Qc leagues are always typically good.

So to say one routes is better than another is préférence or bias. It still comes down to the player.

I disagree about your minor GTHL , way better than the Midget AA in qc for sure and maybe a touch under midget aaa , reason why I'm saying that is look at the silver stick in Whitby this passed weekend, 2 USA teams in the finals U15 Honeybaked vs Compuware semifinal not 1 team from GTHL ,and yes stats are WAY way inflated from this level in the US U15 and I agree, but the good teams are really good hence Silverstick this passed weekend.
BTW U15 = 2004 min.midget
AND U16= 2003 major midget

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
I disagree about your minor GTHL , way better than the Midget AA in qc for sure and maybe a touch under midget aaa , reason why I'm saying that is look at the silver stick in Whitby this passed weekend, 2 USA teams in the finals U15 Honeybaked vs Compuware semifinal not 1 team from GTHL ,and yes stats are WAY way inflated from this level in the US U15 and I agree, but the good teams are really good hence Silverstick this passed weekend.
BTW U15 = 2004 min.midget
AND U16= 2003 major midget

Im fully aware of the levels and mean no disrespect to any of them. I’ll elaborate.
First off diff levels work for diff players.
I totally agree that a U-18 program can prep a player to make the immediate jump to the CHL due to its physicality and maturity. Assuming the player is mature like the aforementioned Huckins. If not,it could be detrimental. Agreed?
The higher rated players (top 3 rounds)typically avoid U-16 and go right to U-18 because of U-16 being so watered down. I’ve watched enough U-16 from Halifax to Ontario and everywhere in between to know that’s there’s a huge disparity in schools and typically on individual teams.
You have high caliber players(5-8) who pay little or nothing and then the others pay a full ride to pretty well pay for the high caliber ones. The ones who pay in full would not have made their local midget teams,hence paying a full ride at a U-16 program.

This is true at U-18 as well but you do have players who are school driven seeking NCAA that are of course legit. As mentioned above the biggest benefit to a 15 year old playing U-18 is the maturity of the game if that player can handle it.

As far as Honeybaked,Little Ceasars,Penguins élite etc...they are all star travel teams that have no boundaries. They are full of kids from all over the States and Canada. So it’s a bit unfair to compare GTHL teams to them. Although several players do move to Ontario for the G.
If you wanna compare apples to apples then look at South Kent Academy. What did they do at the Silverstick?
Their competition during the season is lacking. Hence inflated stats. It’s like this every year. Does it make it a bad option? Definitely not.

Pound for pound the GTHL is the most skilled league in the country. I’m talking skill,crispness and pace. Remember it’s one league in Ontario out of four. The minor midget is better than the major midget loop. By major All the top kids are gone to the O,Jr A,Jr B or US Prep. What’s left is undrafted players or late round picks.
Minor M is definitely faster and more skilled than the Maritime midget loop,no comparison.
It would be close the major midget in Qc. Even though it’s all one age Group.
Check out the 3 CHL drafts and find me a league that provides more picks in the first two rounds than the GTHL does in the O.

My comparison to U-18 is not really a comparison. U-18 is bigger and more mature and most GTHL teams would struggle with the size and strength.
But is U-18 more skilled? Pound for pound not a chance.
Some US based U-18 programs are unreal.
Kimbal and Shattuck has bounced back. Thats just a few.
How did Standstead do vs Shattuck?

Like I said. All has its benefits.

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
Lots of great points, in my opinion, accurate.

this is why it’s so hard to compare, I assume the Shattuck game you’re referencing is the 13-0 game?

US is 18U, not U18.
Shattuck is typically a power house and they have 15 kids with 01 birth dates. In our local hockey markets these guys are in their 3rd year of the Q if they made it at 16. For most points and I think was made with the Stanstead game, it looks like junior. In Canada they would be playing junior. In the US, they are holding time, to find the right USHL program before Joining their NCAA program. For most it’s not a direct route to NCAA. There’s nothing wrong with graduating from from Shattuck.

sometimes it feels like we try to rush kids through the hockey development years in Canada.

Reactions: Double OT

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
How do you compare that compete level to let’s say one of the top midget teams in NS where almost half the team is 04 birth dates.

It is nearly impossible.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
How do you compare that compete level to let’s say one of the top midget teams in NS where almost half the team is 04 birth dates.

It is nearly impossible.

It is difficult. I feel the Maritime and Qc set up can actually hold back players a bit because some teams are more focused on winning than showcasing and developing their first year draft eligible Players.
Some programs do get it right though. Steve Crowell programs usually do.

The only two Maritime teams that have half or close to half 2004’s are the Macs and the Sydney based CB team who will host the Telus next season.

In a nutshell it comes down to population and $. The US have both and are gaining because of it.

Reactions: MARITIMESHOCKI

MARITIMESHOCKI

Nov 7, 2019
The US program is getting to be the top in North America and proof is in the pudding after last years NHL DRAFT after 9 players that came from the USA program in the the first round, they have the new formula of producing NHLERS.
The USA relies on OFF-ICE development, and no rush to play the game , the Canadians are always in a rush , "TO MAKE IT", USA they understand to take away the parents input on a potential Elite player, and show them how to play as a team, TEAM is a very important for the USA programs unlike the skilled players that we are accustomed to hence McDavid, Crosby etc.
US Hockey as injection lots of money in their programs.
Shattuck is a powerhouse, along with Honeybaked, Compuware , Little Caesar and the list goes on.
U15 South Kent are in bad league and that's why they got exposed at silver stick, everyone knows that. But that's for the program director to reflect on a better schedule of teams to play in next year.

To Double OT US may not be high skilled as you say, but their north south game will wear you down.
Just saying look at NHL today is there not much skill in my eyes but much more systems , the only skill I see is when they go Over Time how ironic but the 3 on 3 and shootout is where all the skilled players will be at, just saying.

Reactions: Benoitb

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
The US program is getting to be the top in North America and proof is in the pudding after last years NHL DRAFT after 9 players that came from the USA program in the the first round, they have the new formula of producing NHLERS.
The USA relies on OFF-ICE development, and no rush to play the game , the Canadians are always in a rush , "TO MAKE IT", USA they understand to take away the parents input on a potential Elite player, and show them how to play as a team, TEAM is a very important for the USA programs unlike the skilled players that we are accustomed to hence McDavid, Crosby etc.
US Hockey as injection lots of money in their programs.
Shattuck is a powerhouse, along with Honeybaked, Compuware , Little Caesar and the list goes on.
U15 South Kent are in bad league and that's why they got exposed at silver stick, everyone knows that. But that's for the program director to reflect on a better schedule of teams to play in next year.

To Double OT US may not be high skilled as you say, but their north south game will wear you down.
Just saying look at NHL today is there not much skill in my eyes but much more systems , the only skill I see is when they go Over Time how ironic but the 3 on 3 and shootout is where all the skilled players will be at, just saying.

I think we’re all on the same page. The U.S. are absolutely doing something Right.
Im just comparing leagues since it was brought up by you and others. I think all approaches and leagues have their benefits.
Like you just said,South Kent plays in a weak league. However they have very good infrastructure and coaching so the kids still develop even though not being challenged as in games as you would like.

In Canada unless your a Crosby,MacKinnon of McDavid who could play anywhere and still be stars at 18-19,most players are rushed. Absolutely

crazy canuck

Dec 5, 2019
South Kent is 7-3-1 vs top 10 American teams so far. Also they lost 4-3 to JRC but won twice 6-3 and 3-2 to Toronto Nats who are number 2 in the GTHL. They play in the Beast League and the Northeast Pack. Northeast pack includes

South Kent #4 USA
Pittsburgh Pens #7 USA
jr Sabres #8 USA
Mount St. Charles #9 USA

Played Compuware lost at Silverstick
1 win 1 loss vs Oakland Grizzlies who won the London tournament.

played 3 tournaments vs Ontario teams and have two more to go.

Shattuck played 5 games total vs top 10 teams in USA and are 2-3-0 and never plays the best Ontario Programs.

The Silverstick is certainly one of the toughest events even jrc did not make the playoffs.The best ranked teams from Alberta and BC played at the silverstick and didn’t win a single game.

Honeybaked is the team to beat in both USA and Canada. Big congrats in winning the toughest tournament of all.

Last edited:

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
South Kent is 7-3-1 vs top 10 American teams so far. Also they lost 4-3 to JRC but won twice 6-3 and 3-2 to Toronto Nats who are number 2 in the GTHL. They play in the Beast League and the Northeast Pack. Northeast pack includes

South Kent #4 USA
Pittsburgh Pens #7 USA
jr Sabres #8 USA
Mount St. Charles #9 USA

Played Compuware lost at Silverstick
1 win 1 loss vs Oakland Grizzlies who won the London tournament.

played 3 tournaments vs Ontario teams and have two more to go.

Shattuck played 5 games total vs top 10 teams in USA and are 2-3-0 and never plays the best Ontario Programs.

The Silverstick is certainly one of the toughest events even jrc did not make the playoffs.The best ranked teams from Alberta and BC played at the silverstick and didn’t win a single game.

Honeybaked is the team to beat in both USA and Canada. Big congrats in winning the toughest tournament of all.

Honeybaked is the team to beat in N America,hands down. But are a no boundaries teams as are the others on your list.

JR Canadians and Marlboros(when healthy) would be the two team to give HB a healthy go.
Nats are pretender.

The mention of Shattuck earlier was U-18 lol.

crazy canuck

Dec 5, 2019
It just looked like a free shot taken at a very good program. They are also back to back National champions in 2018 and 2019 in 18U... not too bad

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
It just looked like a free shot taken at a very good program. They are also back to back National champions in 2018 and 2019 in 18U... not too bad

Definitely not meant that way. There’s a lot of great programs out there,them being one.
Was simply stating how it’s hard to compare leagues especially when you involve US teams/programs.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
As this conversation is going it's worth noting that Gatineau has four 1st Round Picks and all are highly likely to be Top 10 picks in this years draft.

As the standings go currently this is what it's looking like, with saying the lottery goes in the correct order shown. Picks could get even better especially that Halifax one. Pretty scary!

GAT | Bathurst's 1st OVR Pick | Mitchell Balmas Trade |
GAT | 2nd OVR Pick | Untouched
GAT | Blainville's 7th OVR Pick | Drake Batherson to BLB, then Shawn Boudrias to CAP |
GAT | Halifax's 8th OVR Pick | Maxim Trepanier Trade |

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
As this conversation is going it's worth noting that Gatineau has four 1st Round Picks and all are highly likely to be Top 10 picks in this years draft.

As the standings go currently this is what it's looking like, with saying the lottery goes in the correct order shown. Picks could get even better especially that Halifax one. Pretty scary!

GAT | Bathurst's 1st OVR Pick | Mitchell Balmas Trade |
GAT | 2nd OVR Pick | Untouched
GAT | Blainville's 7th OVR Pick | Drake Batherson to BLB, then Shawn Boudrias to CAP |
GAT | Halifax's 8th OVR Pick | Maxim Trepanier Trade |

Will they keep all 4 and let them come up together or trade 1-2 of the picks for some vets? What’s your opinions

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
They had 6 picks in the first 4 rounds last June. For that reason, they should keep all their picks and continue to build.

They picked 3 solid defenseman and 3 good centers. They can aďd 2 solid D-Men and 2 wingers in the first round. With their 2nd round pick, they can take one of the excellent goalie available next June.

With that, they would have a great foundation for the next cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double OT

quebec west

Dec 10, 2018
Even if they pick 4 of the top 10 kids, how many will actually show up and in 2 or 3 years they won't be top 10 anymore. They are not an enviable destination at the moment.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Gatineau is not a bad destination at all. They struggle since a couple of years but it's not an isolated place. They offer French and English education. Close from NHL scouting personel that covers Quebec and Ontario. They will soon offer a brand new facility. This team also has a great history.

This franchise can turn things around in a few years.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Gatineau is not a bad destination at all. They struggle since a couple of years but it's not an isolated place. They offer French and English education. Close from NHL scouting personel that covers Quebec and Ontario. They will soon offer a brand new facility. This team also has a great history.

This franchise can turn things around in a few years.

Some people forget where Gatineau is on the map. It's literally 20 minutes from Ottawa! A lot of great schools, tutors, English/French in there, With a new arena I'd consider them to be a first class organization. Personally never been to Quebec but surely the town is a great place to live too. They just haven't had good draft luck with NCAA guys and such. They will need to take a safer approach with who they choose in this years draft.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
CURRENT LOOK AT THE 2020 QMJHL DRAFT

Notes: FYI once the trade period hits lots of these picks will be flipped to other teams, plus the standings will change and teams like Halifax and Baie Comeau should drop. Very interesting and fun to make honestly. Credit to Raimu for the original version.

Gatineau (4 Picks)
Saint John (3 Picks)
Chicoutimi (3 Picks)
Victoriaville (2 Picks)

Original OwnerCurrent OwnerNOTES
1st:BathurstGatineauMitchell Balmas Trade 2017-18
2nd:GatineauGatineau
3rd:VictoriavilleVictoriaville
4th:QuebecQuebec
5th:Saint JohnSaint John
6th:Baie- ComeauSaint JohnAlex D´Orio Trade 2018-19
7th:BlainvilleGatineauOriginally given to Cape Breton to send Drake Batherson to Blainville (2017-18), then Cape Breton handed it to Gatineau for Shawn Boudrias. (2018-19)
8thHalifaxGatineau Maxim Trepanier Trade 2018-19
9thVal D´orVal D´or
10thShawiniganShawinigan
11thRouyn NorandaQuebecOriginally given to Chicoutimi in the 3 way trade that sent Noah Dobson to Rouyn Noranda (2018-19), then Chicoutimi handed it to Quebec for Felix Bibeau. (2019-20)
12thCape BretonCape Breton
13thDrummondvilleSaint JohnJoe Veleno Trade 2017-18
14thCharlottetownChicoutimiOscar Plandowski Trade 2019-20
15thRimouskiVictoriavilleD´Artagnan Joly Trade 2018-19
16thMonctonDrummondvilleOlivier Rodrigue Trade 2019-20
17thChicoutimiChicoutimi
18thSherbrookeSherbrooke
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtlhockey

SWRekker

Oct 8, 2009
CURRENT LOOK AT THE 2020 QMJHL DRAFT

Notes: FYI once the trade period hits lots of these picks will be flipped to other teams, plus the standings will change and teams like Halifax and Baie Comeau should drop. Very interesting and fun to make honestly. Credit to Raimu for the original version.

Gatineau (4 Picks)
Saint John (3 Picks)
Chicoutimi (3 Picks)
Victoriaville (2 Picks)

Original OwnerCurrent OwnerNOTES
1st:BathurstGatineauMitchell Balmas Trade 2017-18
2nd:GatineauGatineau
3rd:VictoriavilleVictoriaville
4th:QuebecQuebec
5th:Saint JohnSaint John
6th:Baie- ComeauSaint JohnAlex D´Orio Trade 2018-19
7th:BlainvilleGatineauOriginally given to Cape Breton to send Drake Batherson to Blainville, then Cape Breton handed it to Gatineau for Shawn Boudrias.
8thHalifaxGatineau Maxim Trepanier Trade 2018-19
9thVal D´orVal D´or
10thShawiniganShawinigan
11thRouyn NorandaChicoutimiNoah Dobson Trade 2018-19
12thCape BretonCape Breton
13thDrummondvilleSaint JohnJoe Veleno Trade 2017-18
14thCharlottetownChicoutimiOscar Plandowski Trade 2019-20
15thRimouskiVictoriavilleD´Artagnan Joly Trade 2018-19
16thMonctonDrummondvilleOlivier Rodrigue Trade 2019-20
17thChicoutimiChicoutimi
18thSherbrookeSherbrooke
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Any chances some teams recover their 1st round pick from last year ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad