Early look at 2020 QMJHL draft so far

Mtlhockey

Mar 15, 2019
Good discussion on Top 10 D men -

Who does everyone see as Top 10 Forwards for 2020 draft? Here is my shot at it (of course, early in the year still):

1 A Verreault
2 M Lastarza
3 C MacLean
4 M Vidicek
5 J Swan
6 J Sullivan
7 L Carruthers
8 J Cote
9 J Vetrano
10 C A Beauregard

Top 10 is hard, i'll go with a top 5:

Carruthers
Verreaults
Cote
Arsenault
Woodworth

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
No way Arsenault goes first round today. In my opinion. He needs to build his game a lot more. Foot speed and IQ aren't quite at the level it should be/needs to be. Heavy accurate shot and physically mature enough now, but with time he can get there by draft day.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
My current top goalies playing outside of Quebec so far in order...

*Charles-Edward Gravel - Mississauga Senators (GTMMHL) - ?
**Riley Mercer - Tri Pen (NLMMHL) - 11GP | 2.16GAA | 0.934%
*** Lane George - Cole Harbour Wolfpack - 10GP | 3.32GAA | 0.890%

#4 Noah Harvey - Dartmouth Steele Subaru 9GP | 4.27GAA | 0.870%
#5 Sebastian Lever - Halifax McDonald's 9GP | 3.69GAA | 0.870%
#6 Matthew Parker - Fredericton Office Interior Caps 10GP | 2.94GAA | 0.905%
#7 Connor Blackwood - 12GP | 2.84GAA | 0.920% (0'3 born undrafted)
#8 Cruz Loughlin - East Coast Blizzard 7GP | 2.57GAA | 0.916%

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018

In my opinion,Gravel is the best goalie in the draft. No offence to the others.
He’s considered by some to be the best 04 goalie in the Country.
I personally haven’t seen any 04 who’s better.
There is many good ones out there and this is just my opinion.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

Lane George is 5'07....very small

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Lane George is 5'07....very small

Yeah that's a problem... I don't know if anyone past George is any better. Harvey, Lever and others need to pick it up if they want Q potential. No doubt in my mind Gravel is one of if not the top goalie in the draft.

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
I'm heading to Montreal for work meetings today and will miss the Monctonian. I'm hoping you will all provide lots of updates after! Such a great chance to see the best talent head to head

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
I have always liked Swan, I hope the injury does not hold him back. I also wonder how he will have to adjust his game based on much bigger and heavier bodies at the next level.

There is lots of Quebec talent at this age group, some implying NCAA, but parents need the details as many games are played here, it’s a business. Lots of commitments not turning into actual offers 2 years later.

The challenge for scouts will always be where do the Atlantic kids fit in. Leagues are typically at a lower level than Quebec, less visibility especially NL, NB/PEI kids very seldom mentioned and then some kids choosing to go away to play in better leagues.

Scouting is a tough job, it’s nothing like parent stat watching. Which sometimes seems to happens here. Comparing players in different leagues, with different age groups and skill sets is tough.

the Atlantic Challenge cup is probably the easiest way to see most these kids together from Atlantic.

In my opinion Carruthers is the top Forward in NS. At the same time the gulls and Macs seem to get more attention than other teams in the league.
But he seems to be a step above the rest.

Pei would probably be Arsenault, MacLean would be close but I feel Arsenault is a little better skater. MacLean being away is tougher for me to see his development.

NL would probably be Casey, he’s not Dean but speed and scoring touch. Even though he played His last year Bantam in Halifax, I still reference NL. Playing in his age group in the US ( vs midget as we know it)makes development tougher to see as stats won’t tell you anything.

I had the opportunity to some of the NB U16 in the summer.

From the sessions I saw I would put Guy at the top, great skater, finished hits and moves the puck well.
Oliver has a good scoring touch when playing at his age group.
Savoie is shifty and finished well.

On D there will be tough decisions to make, Hinkley and Dollemont played together and played well but not dominant in any way. Maccullum seemed to be very offensively minded, will need to be more selective in stronger leagues.

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
I never claim to have much knowledge with goalies but where does Snow (NL-OHA) and Cooper (PEI-Notre Dame) fit in to the equation?

hockeylife11

May 10, 2018
In speaking with one of the NL parents, they mentioned there were not a lot of scouts around the NL Midget games. Sounds like when there's a chance to finally view them, they are not viewed anyways. NB, NS, PEI and Quebec are scouted on a regular basis. They mentioned the NS and NB games were full of scouts which are the kids that are seen all the time. It's unfortunate.

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
IMO Cooper hurt his QMJHL draft chances by going west. But maybe he has no interest in that which is totally fine as well.

That’s a tough one, choosing a top notch program, and stronger competition should equal development. Just no Q scouts really in the area. It will be interesting to see what teams do. The community is small, people talk, and it will be fun to watch what teams choose to do with little visibility. There is more than him away looking to play in stronger areas. Also many before this group of prospects as well. Hopefully it works out for them. They may have a leg up on the added maturity of being away and the travel side of the game in the Q

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
Simon Hughes on the Charlottetown team really stood out for me. He's big, very fast with high IQ and has very good hands on him. He controlled the prospects game and the elimination game on Saturday against pictou with a goal and an assist. He's on a young team but still manages to put up points. He played underage last year and missed the last 1/2 from an arm injury but still managed 1/2 point a game as a 14 year old with no powerplay time and limited opportunity from the games I seen. I would rank him at the top of the Atlantic prospects, Carruthers 2, Roy 3, Woodward 4, Olivier 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: IslandScouter

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
Interesting that no kids outside the traditional midget AAA circuits have been identified by Central Scouting. I wonder if these kids don't get early viewings from CSR or if it is assumed they are going NCAA or is there some other reason?

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
I think it’s hard to expect CSR to view anyone out of the normal Q markets. Gatorade Challenge Cup should put best on best for the most part. It’s not economical to go to the US for a weekend to only see 3-5 potential players available. Same for the few in Ontario and western Canada. I just hope they don’t get missed.

Reactions: NorthAmHockey

Benoitb

Aug 8, 2018
Any news from the Drummondville tournament? Who looked good?

The 3 forwards from LSL: Hryckowian, Kelechian and Krenn were really good.
From my structure, I liked Jérôme Nadeau and, of course, Xavier Labbé (which talents is not the problem).

Some others name I liked: Mathis O'Driscoll, Samuel Ritchie, Jacob Charron and one of thw twin brothers from Trois-Rivières, Vincent Deschênes.

Congrats to the corsaires for the win and to my bud Jo Lamy who is coaching the team.

NewfieInOntario

May 7, 2018
Once again a weak year for Newfoundland. Nice to see some atlantic kids mentioned and one kid from NL Liam Bridger got to play in the prospects game at the monctonian. Never heard much of the kid before until now

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
The 3 forwards from LSL: Hryckowian, Kelechian and Krenn were really good.
From my structure, I liked Jérôme Nadeau and, of course, Xavier Labbé (which talents is not the problem).

Some others name I liked: Mathis O'Driscoll, Samuel Ritchie, Jacob Charron and one of thw twin brothers from Trois-Rivières, Vincent Deschênes.

Congrats to the corsaires for the win and to my bud Jo Lamy who is coaching the team.

Out of the 9 players you mentionned, only 3 will make the CSR Espoir Team for the Challenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad