Early look at 2020 QMJHL draft so far

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Any chances some teams recover their 1st round pick from last year ?
I believe Rouyn Noranda is getting their 1st round back. I also hear Bergeron is being dealt to Chicoutimi. Not sure if the 1st is a consideration from the Dobson trade or if that’s going towards the Bergeron trade but either way they should be getting their pick back.

Unsure about anyone else at the moment.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Soooo it’s looking like Rouyns 2020 and Chicoutimis 2021 are off to Quebec Remparts for Felix Bibeau.

Pretty steep expensive trade for Chicoutimi but a great addition either way.

Eldard4

Sep 29, 2019
Do you follow the Midget AAA Challenge? it's amazing how the maritime are dominated ! Even Quebec's last-place teams crush the Maritime teams.

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
That’s why you see many, of the top players from Atlantic choose to leave home to play in other leagues. It seems to be more and more each year which is not helping the local league. Some local followers get excited seeing 1st year kids top on their team and leaders some league stats. Unfortunately that’s not a true picture of what’s to come. In most top midget leagues these 04’s should be challenged most night with the pace of the game and finding time and space, and some fighting for ice, not being the top players. Development comes at different times, but I’m not sure scoring 50-70 points as a first year player helps you make the jump to the Q? In the past you seen guys like Lawrence go away to play, then a few more with Stairs, Reynolds, Huckins, for this draft class, Hinkley, Guy, MacLean, Hopkins, Ramsay etc.

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
In fairness to hockey in Atlantic Canada both the Nova Scotia and New Brunswick/PEI leagues are a bit weaker this year compared to normal. Just happens to be one of those years. Kensington Wild, for example, made it to the semi finals at the CCM Challenge last year so from time to time an Atlantic team can be competitive.

Rink Eyes does make a fair point though about many of the best Atlantic kids leaving to play with and against tougher competition. While there is no "best route," from a long term development perspective I think this is a very smart move if the player is fortunate enough to get the opportunity. Playing in a tougher league and fighting for every inch and dealing with limited time and space is a more junior/pro-style atmosphere and that is a year well spent. The exception to this is obviously that the player must be physically and mentally ready, Assuming your physically ready, and the player maintains there confidence and has fun through the tough competition, I believe that this type of situation makes for a better player in the long term as compared to a player racking up points in a weaker league. Having said this, I still think many people are blinded by stats and even some of the rankings that are released from time to time seem to be influenced by points.

Reactions: Rink Eyes

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
They kept up with the Lions today, Kensington Wild did, unreal to beat the lions a storied Midget AAA team. Maybe the paced changed ?

With a goalie unable to make at least one key save.

Let's be serious here. Lions led 48-28 in shots.

Even if this is a "storied team", they are far from a power house this season so far.

Last edited:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
All the big trades and rumors I've heard so far.

CONFIRMED
QUE: Felix Bibeau (1999) -> <- CHI: 1st Round 2020 (ROU), 1st Round 2021 (CHI)
RIM: Vincent Marleau (1999) -> <- nothing good just high picks

RUMORS
HAL: Benoit-Olivier Groulx, Jared McIsaac -> <- MON: ???
HAL: Raphael Lavoie -> <- CHI: ???
DRU: Dawson Mercer -> <- CHI: William Dufour, Two 1st RD Picks, Two 2nd RD Picks.
BAC: Xavier Bouchard -> <- CAP: ???
CHA: Xavier Bernard -> <- SHE: ???
BLB: Samuel Bolduc -> <- SHE: ???
ROU: Justin Bergeron -> <- CHI/SHE: ???
RIM: Overager -> <- ???

NOTE: In the Mercer trade they're likely to get all those picks back once they trade him in the 2020-21 season.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
With a goalie unable to make at least one key save.

Let's be serious here. Lions led 48-28 in shots.

Even if this is a "storied team", they are far from a power house this season so far.
If what is going on with the Lions at Peewee and Bantam is an indication of the future for their midget program they are in trouble.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
That’s why you see many, of the top players from Atlantic choose to leave home to play in other leagues. It seems to be more and more each year which is not helping the local league. Some local followers get excited seeing 1st year kids top on their team and leaders some league stats. Unfortunately that’s not a true picture of what’s to come. In most top midget leagues these 04’s should be challenged most night with the pace of the game and finding time and space, and some fighting for ice, not being the top players. Development comes at different times, but I’m not sure scoring 50-70 points as a first year player helps you make the jump to the Q? In the past you seen guys like Lawrence go away to play, then a few more with Stairs, Reynolds, Huckins, for this draft class, Hinkley, Guy, MacLean, Hopkins, Ramsay etc.

Very good points and one I was tryings to get across last week in comparing leagues. No disrespect to any.

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
Has anyone come across the roster for Canada’s Youth Olympics team for Feb 2020 in Switzerland I Am curious who in Quebec / Atlantic region made it. I heard from a hockey Canada friend the roster is set but I can’t find one anywhere.

Eldard4

Sep 29, 2019
Has anyone gone to the Midget AAA Challenge and could we remake a list of the first round following this tournament ?

scout Sherbrooke

scout Sherbrooke
Jan 22, 2019
Sherbrooke
Congratulations to our 5 players from Quebec who have been selected for Team Canada at the Youth Olympic Games in Switzerland.
Luneau, Warren, Coté, Verreault and Fillion
And congratulations to the others who have been in the process, until the end ....
Vidicek, Goyette, Patella, Maltais, Lastarza, Bolduc, Gravel

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
Has anyone come across the roster for Canada’s Youth Olympics team for Feb 2020 in Switzerland I Am curious who in Quebec / Atlantic region made it. I heard from a hockey Canada friend the roster is set but I can’t find one anywhere.

The only posts from 2016 I came across were dated in January? Maybe nothing until world juniors are over?
Without politics, the only one I see with in Atlantic with an outside chance is Carruthers, and I’m not that will happen. From the US roster is looks like they can only take 9/6/2?
I wonder if 05 kids like Bedard and Yager from the west will be considered. They are getting lots of hype.
Wright and M Savoie are givens if released. Fantilli will be interesting as HC has stated in the past only kids playing in Canada are considered?

That roster will be a fun one to dissect.

Rink Eyes

Nov 19, 2019
Congratulations to our 5 players from Quebec who have been selected for Team Canada at the Youth Olympic Games in Switzerland.
Luneau, Warren, Coté, Verreault and Fillion
And congratulations to the others who have been in the process, until the end ....
Vidicek, Goyette, Patella, Maltais, Lastarza, Bolduc, Gravel

scout Sherbrooke, do you have access to the rest of the roster? Can you share?

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
It’s funny you guys pretend Goyette was part of the selection process for the Q. He is OHL and I’m pretty sure he made the team along with Fantilli, Fimis, Nelson, George and Downey. Next in line would be Wakely and Ludwinski if they pick more than 5.

scout Sherbrooke

scout Sherbrooke
Jan 22, 2019
Sherbrooke
You may be right for Goyette, the information I had confirmed to me the Quebec players who made the team. I can be thought that it was in the Quebecois players and assimilated that it had been cut. I can't tell you if he made the team or not, since he's from Ontario. I have no idea of the final team .... sorry

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
No Atlantic Canadians were selected to the team. Most of the roster is ontario and quebec kids and a couple from West. I do know there was a good amount of kids that were selected on the radar from atlantic region and only 2 05 players. (Bedard and Squires)

Don't know who exactly was named on the roster.

Benoitb

Aug 8, 2018
Do you follow the Midget AAA Challenge? it's amazing how the maritime are dominated ! Even Quebec's last-place teams crush the Maritime teams.
Actually, this Qc's last-place team won the tournament haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad