Early look at 2020 QMJHL draft so far

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
I think every player has different options that are optimal. It is in fact true that making reasonable money playing hockey is for the few. Considering this, you have to make choices that mitigate risk. For some kids getting a D1 scholarship is their version of pro hockey. For others who are talented, playing major junior is the best route. For others who may not be ready for an academic path may want to pursue their passion and take a year off from school to reflect on their next move and play junior at whatever level. The truth is every player has options and hopefully they choose the best path that is realistic with their academic and athletic pursuits. The only concern is that parents are trying to map out futures for their kids and in the process are removing the fun of actually playing the game they love - despite the parents best intentions. Support them and help them through the process in an objective manner.

All good points but once again I was trying to strike a debate about a player/agent/family using NCAA to manipulate where they get drafted and play in the Q. Meanwhile they have no intention of ever going NCAA.
Id like opinions on that specific subject.
Yes it only involves a small percentage of the whole draft (top two rounds,maybe only players in first round)
Please nonmore long winded responses on the virtues of either route.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
Delafontaine, V. Filion, M. Rousseau, Ruccia are my TOP 4.

Gauthier, Louchard, Maheux and Ciarlo are also playing MID-AAA.

In Espoir, Bourdages can also be considered.

Lane George and Sebastian Lever from NS and possibly a goalie from PEI could be mid round picks.
NF has 2-3 who could be drafted as well.
NB maybe has a couple late rounders.

Gravel will be one of the highest chosen.
Filion and Rousseau are good too.
But Gravel is arguably the top goalie in arguably the top midget league in the Country.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
Absolutely agree,it’s a great options. My points was more about a player manipulating where they go in the draft by using a NCAA commitment that they never plan on using.
If the player is actually planning the US college route then great. That’s my point.
Ah, sorry, I misread it. I agree, it's not cool to game the system. I know a kid who was drafted quite high to the Q last June. He had been thinking he would do the college route but changed his mind when he became a high pick. To his credit he never publicly stated his intentions before the draft.

Maritimehky

May 9, 2018
I’ll chime in, haven’t posted in a while.

In NB I really like Mann as a def. Big, strong, smart and skates well.

Hopkins is NS’ version of Mann. Leighton Carruthers is probably the top 04 forward in NS and Atlantic Canada. Lane George is ‘my’ pick out of the 04 goalies in NS.

PEI I have Donovan Arsenault and Cam Maclean, 2 power forwards who can score.

I recently started following the NL midget league as I’ve been there on business and caught a few games and talked to some local scouts for the Q and jr A. They stream some games but if you visit teams twitters there’s usually a parent or 2 streaming. I’ve mostly seen blizzard and growler games as both teams are picked from the St. John’s area.

My number one goalie prospect is Riley Mercer, a goalie from Tripen. He’s Dawson Mercer’s brother. He’s got decent size and is a very solid goalie. Moves post to post as good as anyone. Games I’ve seen he faces a lot of quality shots and keeps his team in games. I like him at the next level.

As far as def, Travis Badcock has impressed. He’s a great skater with good size and skill. High hockey IQ and plays with an edge. Good at recognizing when his team needs him to step up and be physical or use his skill to create offence. His gaps are up there with the top def.

I have 2 04 forwards that are good prospects. Reagan Hiscock of the growlers has good size and is a good skater. Good skill and doesn’t mind the physicality. If he keeps improving he’ll be mentioned with the likes of Maclean and Arsenault. Also a dangerous sniper around the net. He’s on a team with some good 3rd year players and is fitting in well.

The other is Christian Reardon of Tripen, Riley’s teammate. He has average size but doesn’t back down from the physical play. He is a great skater with a ton of skill. High hockey IQ. Good goal scorer and the top forward on his team. Plays all situations as a first year.

Two other notables is goalie Mitchell Dinn of the Impact and def Liam Marshall of the Blizzard. Dinn like Mercer, sees a lot of shots. He doesn’t have the size of Mercer but is still solid. Marshall has a cannon from the point. He has a good hockey IQ and will be physical when he needs to. He needs to work on his skating and gaps for the next level.

A couple other kids I’ve heard about but are away at prep school and I haven’t seen them play.

Looking forward to seeing all these kids at the Monctonian, ice jam and Gatorade challenge.

Hockeywatcher01

Dec 6, 2017
Can someone please tell me what type of defense men the Q is looking for these days. It seems all the talk is about offensive defense men is there any need for stay home defense men who pinch in on the play now and then??

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Can someone please tell me what type of defense men the Q is looking for these days. It seems all the talk is about offensive defense men is there any need for stay home defense men who pinch in on the play now and then??

There is a need for every type of defensemen. As long as the player is effective in his style. For sure, teams will look for offensive D-Men in the first round. Usually, out of 7 D-Men on a roster, there is only a couple offensive oriented. That leaves many spots for stay-home type.

Hockeywatcher01

Dec 6, 2017
There is a need for every type of defensemen. As long as the player is effective in his style. For sure, teams will look for offensive D-Men in the first round. Usually, out of 7 D-Men on a roster, there is only a couple offensive oriented. That leaves many spots for stay-home type.
Thanks for the reply, I agree you still need the back end taken care off.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
I’ll chime in, haven’t posted in a while.

In NB I really like Mann as a def. Big, strong, smart and skates well.

Hopkins is NS’ version of Mann. Leighton Carruthers is probably the top 04 forward in NS and Atlantic Canada. Lane George is ‘my’ pick out of the 04 goalies in NS.

PEI I have Donovan Arsenault and Cam Maclean, 2 power forwards who can score.

I recently started following the NL midget league as I’ve been there on business and caught a few games and talked to some local scouts for the Q and jr A. They stream some games but if you visit teams twitters there’s usually a parent or 2 streaming. I’ve mostly seen blizzard and growler games as both teams are picked from the St. John’s area.

My number one goalie prospect is Riley Mercer, a goalie from Tripen. He’s Dawson Mercer’s brother. He’s got decent size and is a very solid goalie. Moves post to post as good as anyone. Games I’ve seen he faces a lot of quality shots and keeps his team in games. I like him at the next level.

As far as def, Travis Badcock has impressed. He’s a great skater with good size and skill. High hockey IQ and plays with an edge. Good at recognizing when his team needs him to step up and be physical or use his skill to create offence. His gaps are up there with the top def.

I have 2 04 forwards that are good prospects. Reagan Hiscock of the growlers has good size and is a good skater. Good skill and doesn’t mind the physicality. If he keeps improving he’ll be mentioned with the likes of Maclean and Arsenault. Also a dangerous sniper around the net. He’s on a team with some good 3rd year players and is fitting in well.

The other is Christian Reardon of Tripen, Riley’s teammate. He has average size but doesn’t back down from the physical play. He is a great skater with a ton of skill. High hockey IQ. Good goal scorer and the top forward on his team. Plays all situations as a first year.

Two other notables is goalie Mitchell Dinn of the Impact and def Liam Marshall of the Blizzard. Dinn like Mercer, sees a lot of shots. He doesn’t have the size of Mercer but is still solid. Marshall has a cannon from the point. He has a good hockey IQ and will be physical when he needs to. He needs to work on his skating and gaps for the next level.

A couple other kids I’ve heard about but are away at prep school and I haven’t seen them play.

Looking forward to seeing all these kids at the Monctonian, ice jam and Gatorade challenge.

In reading the above,it sounds like your an agent/player rep?

Maritimehky

May 9, 2018
In reading the above,it sounds like your an agent/player rep?

I don’t represent anyone. I’ve worked as a scout for a jr league. It was part time also as I work another job that pays the bills. Watched quite a bit of hockey in the Maritimes and have only recently watched some midget in NL due to business travel.

Thought I’d give an update on some players most are familiar with and the NL kids who most will only see in Moncton and the Ice Jam.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
I don’t represent anyone. I’ve worked as a scout for a jr league. It was part time also as I work another job that pays the bills. Watched quite a bit of hockey in the Maritimes and have only recently watched some midget in NL due to business travel.

Thought I’d give an update on some players most are familiar with and the NL kids who most will only see in Moncton and the Ice Jam.

Sounds good,i agree with several of the names on your post. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Where is JT Tobin playing? I always liked his compete in net.
Im a big fan of George in net but Im concerned about his height. Teams typically don’t look at many goalies under 6’

This draft seems deeper on D than last year but not quite as strong at F.

Maritimehky

May 9, 2018
Sounds good,i agree with several of the names on your post. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Im a big fan of George in net but Im concerned about his height. Teams typically don’t look at many goalies under 6’

This draft seems deeper on D than last year but not quite asGeorge

Maritimehky

May 9, 2018

This draft seems deeper on D than last year but not quite as strong at F.

Tobin is playing minor midget I heard. Never seen him play. The NL midget league is mostly 2nd and 3rd year players and even tougher for first year goalies.

George is on the short side but I still like him. That may cause him to slip in the draft for sure.

Some good def from every Province this year.

The draft is not all that far away but a lot can happen in that short a time.

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
Does anyone with more knowledge about goalies than I have know anything about PEI's Jack Howatt ? He appears solid to me and I hear his name mentioned from time to time

Estrien

Dec 3, 2018
Team Quebec U16 Camp Top 20

August 17, 2019
Warren-Noah-840x420-px.jpg

Team Quebec hosted their annual summer development camp for the top 40 players in the province. Quebec is coming off an extremely talented group of 2003 aged born players managing to win the Canada winter games. Although it may only be summer hockey there is no shortage of talent for this age group in Quebec showing high end skill and hockey IQ. Get familiar with these names as we expect a big year once again from these prospects. The list that follows consists of the top 20 players who stood out during the three-day development camp and will be sought after QMJHL Draft prospects.
A

Tristan Luneau #3 (D, R, Trois-Rivieres, 6’1”, 170lbs, 2004)- Luneau is a high-end prospect who is coming off an impressive year playing Midget AAA as an underage player. Luneau is everything you look for in a modern-day defenseman; poised, calm, composed and capable to take a game over singlehandedly. The strongest attribute of his game is his ability to read the forecheck and spin off pressure to move the puck up ice as quick as possible. Given his gifted skill set, I like how Luneau did not try to over complicate his game during the camp and consistently made the right, simple play. As talented of a puck mover he is, Luneau plays a tight gap on his opponents shrinking space in all three zones of the ice. During this camp Luneau did not get beat in one-on-one situations as he uses his quick stick and elusive skating to win battles. Already committed to the University of Wisconsin, Luneau is beginning to scratch the surface as a high-end prospect who will undoubtedly be a force in the Midget AAA ranks. College: Wisconsin
Justin Cote #21 (F, L, Grenadiers Lac St-Louis, 5’5”, 140lbs, 2004)- Cote is a prolific goal scorer who led the league in points during the season, with an impressive 45 goals. Dominant all week, Cote is an intense, tireless worker who creates scoring chances due to his willingness to never give up on pucks. During the camp Cote showed off his scoring prowess by scoring goals off the rush, in tight, on breakaways or in during a scrum in front of the net. When entering the offensive zone, Cote focuses on attacking the middle of the ice often knifing through defenseman while fighting off checks. Despite his diminutive stature Cote does not get bumped off the puck showing off his incredible balance and strength on his feet. What’s also impressive about Cote’s game is his commitment to play defense; during these scrimmages he had some impressive back checks catching up to guys and breaking up some key scoring chances where he seems to never get tired. Look for Cote to have a monster season in Midget AAA.
A-

Noah Warren #23 (D, R, Riverains College Charles-Lemoyne, 6’3”, 198lbs)- Intimidating presence who is already physically matured before many players in this camp. However, he is still raw which makes viewers excited of his future potential. Warren is an athletic player who moves well laterally and thrives on jumping into the rush when he sees an opportunity. He’s hard on pucks using his long reach and strength to win battles. Throughout the week Warren was exceptional making his presence felt offensively and defensively. What I admire about his game is that he’s always trying to contribute making an impact on the game everytime he’s on the ice. He’s good at finding the open lanes at the point to get quick, accurate shots on net. Whether it’s jumping into the rush or breaking the puck out Warren is always involved. However, at times he tries to do to much which leads to mistakes that put him in a vulnerable position. As he matures these types of mistakes will disappear therefore it’s not a cause for concern.
Emanuelson Charbonneau #2 (D, R, Riverains College-Charles Lemoyne, 6’1”, 229lbs)- It’s scary to watch Charbonneau and Warren play because they are extremely similar. Being teammates over the past year these two are often paired together in comparisons and projections based on their gifted physical attributes. Once again with Charbonneau we find a great athletic player who is active on pinches in the offensive and neutral zone always keeping play alive for his forwards. Having a player like Charbonneau allows forwards to take chances and make risky plays because he’s the type of player who can bail them out and limit odd man situations. As Charbonneau continues to develop his skating and grow into his frame, he will have to learn to play more poised as he sometimes forces passes and plays. It will be a nightmare to play against the Riverains this year when you know Charbonneau and Warren are on the ice.
Michael Lastarza #14 (F, L, Shattuck St.Mary’s, 5’10”, 170lbs)- An offensive dynamo who’s always creating chances off quick breaks and odd man rushes. Lastarza is a hound on the puck who possesses tremendous strength by winning his battles and going into the tough areas. He’s great on his edges where he’s able to move fluently side to side and beat defenders in tight quarters. Throughout the weekend he was challenging defenseman in one on one situations often creating high quality scoring chances. Although Lastarza was a little snake bit during the week he displayed a solid combination of power and skill all week, which is a rare combination to find with hockey players. At the next level, Lastarza will need to focus on using his linemates as he sometimes holds on to the puck for a too long, leading to turnovers and poor puck management. In addition, he will have to focus on the defensive side of his game, primarily in his own end where he is often skates around aimlessly.
Antonin Verreault #22 (F, L, Selects du Nord, 5’7”, 142lbs)- One of the fastest skaters on the ice, Verreault was buzzing all week especially in the third game. Had a beautiful breakaway goal where he split the defense and roofed one on his backhand. He’s a sneaky goal scorer with quick hands who finds the quiet areas throughout the offensive zone. Don’t be fooled by his small frame as he’s constantly making plays to the net out-battling his opponents for scoring opportunities. He’s a hungry scorer who doesn’t take shifts off. Hampered by a couple of injuries last year he still managed to tear up the league scoring at a 2 point per game clip. Verreault is a dangerous player who capitalizes on sloppy turnovers and oddman rushes. It will be interesting to see how his style of plays translates at the next level against stronger competition.
B+

Michael Mastrodomenico #8 (D, R, Lac St-Louis, 6’0”, 180lbs)- Another great puck moving defenseman who was effective all week in breaking out the puck in an effortless manner. He thinks the game at a high level who seems to always pick his forwards streaking through the neutral zone with speed. Throughout the week he made some great passes to the middle of the ice which led to high odd man rushes for his quad. He’s a strong skater as well where he uses his body to shield the puck and buy him time to make plays. To bring his game to the next level, Mastrodomenico will need to play with more sandpaper and urgency as he sometimes looks too relaxed.
Jordan Dumais #10 (F, R, Lac St-Louis, 5’9”, 155lbs)- Had a rough first game where he was not involved but since then had an extremely impressive couple of games. Dumais made some nice plays setting up his linemates for quality scoring chances. On the powerplay Dumais threaded a couple of needle passes cross box to the open man back door. He’s hard to contain because he’s able to spin off defenseman and find the open man in the offensive zone. Creates many opportunities in tight, on the cycle and does not give up on plays. In the third game Dumais potted a nice goal after his line was cycling the puck in the zone for a solid 30 seconds. He needs consistency in his game; he’s ineffective when he’s caught puck watching and not moving his feet.
Alpha Barry #17 (F, R, De Mortagne, 5’10”, 175lbs)- An all-around versatile player who can impact the game in many ways. Barry is a beautiful skater who can really get going up and down the wing. He’s the type of player everyone wants to play with because he does all the little things right; strong on the wall, getting the puck to his linemates, retrieving pucks on the forecheck and getting into open areas to be an easy outlet. He was also effective on the penalty kill where he took good angles to cut off lanes and eliminate easy zone entries. Possessing a quick deceptive shot, he scored a low one from the slot in the second game. Like many players in the camp, Barry will need to focus on playing with some more fire and intensity in order to bring his game to the next level.
Louis-Phillipe Fontaine #14 (F, L, L’Ecole Fradette, 5’9”, 175lbs)- North South type forward who plays a heavy game on the puck. Might not have the quickest, most explosive skating but uses strong powerful strides to create open ice. Fontaine was noticeable throughout the games because of his ability to carry the puck throughout the neutral zone with ease. He’s not afraid to push defenders back challenging them to step up on him. Along with his linemates, this created offensive opportunities for himself because of the options he had to either make a play or rip one on net. Keeps plays alive down low because of his tenacity on the puck and puck protections skills. Will need to work on his first couple of steps to bring his game to the next level.
B

Nathan Bolduc #4 (D, L, Citadelles de Rouyn, 5’9”, 160lbs)- Bolduc is your prototypical smooth skating offensive defenseman that is hard to find. He’s extremely light on his feet pivoting away from traffic or beating players up ice to give his forwards another option on the rush. He’s effective in picking up the puck in his own end to make a quick stretch pass up ice starting the offense. At times Bolduc makes things complicated for himself; he gets too excited to rush the puck up and causes turnovers for his team. Bolduc will need to learn to pick and choose the right moments to create offense. With experience Bolduc will clean up this part of his game.
Carl-Etienne Michel #7 (D, L, Harfangs Du Triolet, 5’11”, 165lbs)- Solid week for Michel as he projects to be a solid two-way defenseman. Michel had a couple of nice rushes throughout the week trying to create offense when seeing an open opportunity to bring the puck up. He has good size and reach stepping up on forwards in the neutral zone and on the half wall. Michel has a high compete level allowing him to win his battles whether its in front of the net or in the corners. Not as dynamic in creating offense as others in the camp but Michel plays an effective reliable game.
Joey Vetrano #24 (F, R, Lac St.Louis, 5’9”, 150lbs)- Vetrano is at his best when he is controlling, protecting the puck and finding the open man. He struggled to produce offense during the camp but there is no doubt he can be a high scoring forward at the next level. He’s great on his feet; crafty edge work, spins on a dime and hard to knock off the puck. As a centerman he was reliable on the defensive end supporting his defenseman and picking up the open man. Vetrano could focus on putting more pucks on net as he tends to over handle pucks and miss on shot opportunities.
Jacob Lafontaine #18 (F, L, Estacades de la Mauricie, 5’10”, 160lbs)- Dangerous below the goal line is where Lafontaine does most of his damage. Whenever the team needs a spark or some momentum Lafontaine always seemed to provide energy to get his team/linemates going. Makes crafty plays down low which frees up space for him to take one to the net and try and jam it in. Has a solid presence in front of the net as well making shots from the point dangerous. Focusing on his skating, specifically his first couple of strides, will allow him to create even more time and space by beating defenders clean on one on one situations.
Danny Akkouche #25 (F, L, National de Montreal, 5’10”, 145lbs)- Explosive skater immediately catches your attention with his powerful strides enabling him to push the pace offensively. He’s a fearless forechecker who forces defenseman to make mistakes and turn the puck over. Akkouche is not afraid to drive the net; all week he’d try and beat a defender wide and try to make a quick play on net. Although he did not get on the board much this week it wasn’t for a lack of effort or chances. As Akkouche polishes his game he can become a solid versatile player who can fill many roles in a lineup.
Davide Patella #19 (F, L, Patriotes de Laval, 6’1”, 170lbs)- Plays a complete style of game who is physically imposing and hard to handle. He’s easy to play with as he does all the dirty work winning battles along the walls, finishing checks and creating havoc for other defenders. There is potential for Patella to turn into a dominant power forward as he possesses all the tools to make it happen. As he continues to develop his skating will improve as well.
Markus Vidicek #15 (F, L, Lac St.Louis, 5’10”, 145lbs)- Hard working forward with a good motor who wears down his opponents. Another player who did not have his best offensive performance during the camp however his skill set, and tenacity was evident on a couple of shifts. Rather than make a pretty play or dangle Vidicek prefers the hard play by barreling through defenseman. Although Vidicek may not have been scoring he remains effective by forechecking and grinding his opponents out. You know when he’s out there he will work his tail off no matter the circumstances.
B-

Pier-Olivier Roy #5 (D, L, Beauces-Appalaches, 5’10”, 140lbs)- Roy was solid during this camp as he kept his game simple. Breakout passes were on the tape, did not try anything risky, played a good gap all while keeping solid communication with whomever his partner was. There’s a calmness to Roy’s game which keeps him poised in different situations. Roy will need to get stronger to battle at the next level against bigger opponents.
Jake Rozzi #18 (F, L, Lac St.Louis, 5’11”, 155lbs)- Snake bit throughout the week Rozzi missed a bunch of chances including a couple of breakaways. His long stick allows him to pull of some crafty plays with some quick unexpected shots on net. Down low he’s elusive in finding the loose puck and coming up with a grade A scoring chance in front of the net. A shoot first type player who needs to play with players who will set him up in the quiet areas. Skating is an area of Rozzi’s game that needs work. As competition gets tougher and opponents get bigger it will be harder for Rozzi to remain dominant offensively if his skating does not pick up a notch.
Xavier Labbe #11 (F, L, Elites de Beauce-Appalaches, 5’10”, 160lbs)- Mentioned an extra player here because Labbe had a bit of coming out party during the week. He really showed everyone what he’s capable of showing off confidence with the puck making difficult plays look easy. All week he complemented his linemates with his soft touch and finesse. Scored a nice goal one-timing a pass on a 2-1. Really enjoyed watching his game as he was one of the surprising players during this camp.
***Please note: James Swan (L, F, Espoir Tigers), who is a projected Top 5 QMJHL Draft prospect, missed camp due to injury.

Reactions: HockeyFanCB

MARITIMESHOCKI

Nov 7, 2019
Team Quebec U16 Camp Top 20

August 17, 2019
Warren-Noah-840x420-px.jpg

Team Quebec hosted their annual summer development camp for the top 40 players in the province. Quebec is coming off an extremely talented group of 2003 aged born players managing to win the Canada winter games. Although it may only be summer hockey there is no shortage of talent for this age group in Quebec showing high end skill and hockey IQ. Get familiar with these names as we expect a big year once again from these prospects. The list that follows consists of the top 20 players who stood out during the three-day development camp and will be sought after QMJHL Draft prospects.
A

Tristan Luneau #3 (D, R, Trois-Rivieres, 6’1”, 170lbs, 2004)- Luneau is a high-end prospect who is coming off an impressive year playing Midget AAA as an underage player. Luneau is everything you look for in a modern-day defenseman; poised, calm, composed and capable to take a game over singlehandedly. The strongest attribute of his game is his ability to read the forecheck and spin off pressure to move the puck up ice as quick as possible. Given his gifted skill set, I like how Luneau did not try to over complicate his game during the camp and consistently made the right, simple play. As talented of a puck mover he is, Luneau plays a tight gap on his opponents shrinking space in all three zones of the ice. During this camp Luneau did not get beat in one-on-one situations as he uses his quick stick and elusive skating to win battles. Already committed to the University of Wisconsin, Luneau is beginning to scratch the surface as a high-end prospect who will undoubtedly be a force in the Midget AAA ranks. College: Wisconsin
Justin Cote #21 (F, L, Grenadiers Lac St-Louis, 5’5”, 140lbs, 2004)- Cote is a prolific goal scorer who led the league in points during the season, with an impressive 45 goals. Dominant all week, Cote is an intense, tireless worker who creates scoring chances due to his willingness to never give up on pucks. During the camp Cote showed off his scoring prowess by scoring goals off the rush, in tight, on breakaways or in during a scrum in front of the net. When entering the offensive zone, Cote focuses on attacking the middle of the ice often knifing through defenseman while fighting off checks. Despite his diminutive stature Cote does not get bumped off the puck showing off his incredible balance and strength on his feet. What’s also impressive about Cote’s game is his commitment to play defense; during these scrimmages he had some impressive back checks catching up to guys and breaking up some key scoring chances where he seems to never get tired. Look for Cote to have a monster season in Midget AAA.
A-

Noah Warren #23 (D, R, Riverains College Charles-Lemoyne, 6’3”, 198lbs)- Intimidating presence who is already physically matured before many players in this camp. However, he is still raw which makes viewers excited of his future potential. Warren is an athletic player who moves well laterally and thrives on jumping into the rush when he sees an opportunity. He’s hard on pucks using his long reach and strength to win battles. Throughout the week Warren was exceptional making his presence felt offensively and defensively. What I admire about his game is that he’s always trying to contribute making an impact on the game everytime he’s on the ice. He’s good at finding the open lanes at the point to get quick, accurate shots on net. Whether it’s jumping into the rush or breaking the puck out Warren is always involved. However, at times he tries to do to much which leads to mistakes that put him in a vulnerable position. As he matures these types of mistakes will disappear therefore it’s not a cause for concern.
Emanuelson Charbonneau #2 (D, R, Riverains College-Charles Lemoyne, 6’1”, 229lbs)- It’s scary to watch Charbonneau and Warren play because they are extremely similar. Being teammates over the past year these two are often paired together in comparisons and projections based on their gifted physical attributes. Once again with Charbonneau we find a great athletic player who is active on pinches in the offensive and neutral zone always keeping play alive for his forwards. Having a player like Charbonneau allows forwards to take chances and make risky plays because he’s the type of player who can bail them out and limit odd man situations. As Charbonneau continues to develop his skating and grow into his frame, he will have to learn to play more poised as he sometimes forces passes and plays. It will be a nightmare to play against the Riverains this year when you know Charbonneau and Warren are on the ice.
Michael Lastarza #14 (F, L, Shattuck St.Mary’s, 5’10”, 170lbs)- An offensive dynamo who’s always creating chances off quick breaks and odd man rushes. Lastarza is a hound on the puck who possesses tremendous strength by winning his battles and going into the tough areas. He’s great on his edges where he’s able to move fluently side to side and beat defenders in tight quarters. Throughout the weekend he was challenging defenseman in one on one situations often creating high quality scoring chances. Although Lastarza was a little snake bit during the week he displayed a solid combination of power and skill all week, which is a rare combination to find with hockey players. At the next level, Lastarza will need to focus on using his linemates as he sometimes holds on to the puck for a too long, leading to turnovers and poor puck management. In addition, he will have to focus on the defensive side of his game, primarily in his own end where he is often skates around aimlessly.
Antonin Verreault #22 (F, L, Selects du Nord, 5’7”, 142lbs)- One of the fastest skaters on the ice, Verreault was buzzing all week especially in the third game. Had a beautiful breakaway goal where he split the defense and roofed one on his backhand. He’s a sneaky goal scorer with quick hands who finds the quiet areas throughout the offensive zone. Don’t be fooled by his small frame as he’s constantly making plays to the net out-battling his opponents for scoring opportunities. He’s a hungry scorer who doesn’t take shifts off. Hampered by a couple of injuries last year he still managed to tear up the league scoring at a 2 point per game clip. Verreault is a dangerous player who capitalizes on sloppy turnovers and oddman rushes. It will be interesting to see how his style of plays translates at the next level against stronger competition.
B+

Michael Mastrodomenico #8 (D, R, Lac St-Louis, 6’0”, 180lbs)- Another great puck moving defenseman who was effective all week in breaking out the puck in an effortless manner. He thinks the game at a high level who seems to always pick his forwards streaking through the neutral zone with speed. Throughout the week he made some great passes to the middle of the ice which led to high odd man rushes for his quad. He’s a strong skater as well where he uses his body to shield the puck and buy him time to make plays. To bring his game to the next level, Mastrodomenico will need to play with more sandpaper and urgency as he sometimes looks too relaxed.
Jordan Dumais #10 (F, R, Lac St-Louis, 5’9”, 155lbs)- Had a rough first game where he was not involved but since then had an extremely impressive couple of games. Dumais made some nice plays setting up his linemates for quality scoring chances. On the powerplay Dumais threaded a couple of needle passes cross box to the open man back door. He’s hard to contain because he’s able to spin off defenseman and find the open man in the offensive zone. Creates many opportunities in tight, on the cycle and does not give up on plays. In the third game Dumais potted a nice goal after his line was cycling the puck in the zone for a solid 30 seconds. He needs consistency in his game; he’s ineffective when he’s caught puck watching and not moving his feet.
Alpha Barry #17 (F, R, De Mortagne, 5’10”, 175lbs)- An all-around versatile player who can impact the game in many ways. Barry is a beautiful skater who can really get going up and down the wing. He’s the type of player everyone wants to play with because he does all the little things right; strong on the wall, getting the puck to his linemates, retrieving pucks on the forecheck and getting into open areas to be an easy outlet. He was also effective on the penalty kill where he took good angles to cut off lanes and eliminate easy zone entries. Possessing a quick deceptive shot, he scored a low one from the slot in the second game. Like many players in the camp, Barry will need to focus on playing with some more fire and intensity in order to bring his game to the next level.
Louis-Phillipe Fontaine #14 (F, L, L’Ecole Fradette, 5’9”, 175lbs)- North South type forward who plays a heavy game on the puck. Might not have the quickest, most explosive skating but uses strong powerful strides to create open ice. Fontaine was noticeable throughout the games because of his ability to carry the puck throughout the neutral zone with ease. He’s not afraid to push defenders back challenging them to step up on him. Along with his linemates, this created offensive opportunities for himself because of the options he had to either make a play or rip one on net. Keeps plays alive down low because of his tenacity on the puck and puck protections skills. Will need to work on his first couple of steps to bring his game to the next level.
B

Nathan Bolduc #4 (D, L, Citadelles de Rouyn, 5’9”, 160lbs)- Bolduc is your prototypical smooth skating offensive defenseman that is hard to find. He’s extremely light on his feet pivoting away from traffic or beating players up ice to give his forwards another option on the rush. He’s effective in picking up the puck in his own end to make a quick stretch pass up ice starting the offense. At times Bolduc makes things complicated for himself; he gets too excited to rush the puck up and causes turnovers for his team. Bolduc will need to learn to pick and choose the right moments to create offense. With experience Bolduc will clean up this part of his game.
Carl-Etienne Michel #7 (D, L, Harfangs Du Triolet, 5’11”, 165lbs)- Solid week for Michel as he projects to be a solid two-way defenseman. Michel had a couple of nice rushes throughout the week trying to create offense when seeing an open opportunity to bring the puck up. He has good size and reach stepping up on forwards in the neutral zone and on the half wall. Michel has a high compete level allowing him to win his battles whether its in front of the net or in the corners. Not as dynamic in creating offense as others in the camp but Michel plays an effective reliable game.
Joey Vetrano #24 (F, R, Lac St.Louis, 5’9”, 150lbs)- Vetrano is at his best when he is controlling, protecting the puck and finding the open man. He struggled to produce offense during the camp but there is no doubt he can be a high scoring forward at the next level. He’s great on his feet; crafty edge work, spins on a dime and hard to knock off the puck. As a centerman he was reliable on the defensive end supporting his defenseman and picking up the open man. Vetrano could focus on putting more pucks on net as he tends to over handle pucks and miss on shot opportunities.
Jacob Lafontaine #18 (F, L, Estacades de la Mauricie, 5’10”, 160lbs)- Dangerous below the goal line is where Lafontaine does most of his damage. Whenever the team needs a spark or some momentum Lafontaine always seemed to provide energy to get his team/linemates going. Makes crafty plays down low which frees up space for him to take one to the net and try and jam it in. Has a solid presence in front of the net as well making shots from the point dangerous. Focusing on his skating, specifically his first couple of strides, will allow him to create even more time and space by beating defenders clean on one on one situations.
Danny Akkouche #25 (F, L, National de Montreal, 5’10”, 145lbs)- Explosive skater immediately catches your attention with his powerful strides enabling him to push the pace offensively. He’s a fearless forechecker who forces defenseman to make mistakes and turn the puck over. Akkouche is not afraid to drive the net; all week he’d try and beat a defender wide and try to make a quick play on net. Although he did not get on the board much this week it wasn’t for a lack of effort or chances. As Akkouche polishes his game he can become a solid versatile player who can fill many roles in a lineup.
Davide Patella #19 (F, L, Patriotes de Laval, 6’1”, 170lbs)- Plays a complete style of game who is physically imposing and hard to handle. He’s easy to play with as he does all the dirty work winning battles along the walls, finishing checks and creating havoc for other defenders. There is potential for Patella to turn into a dominant power forward as he possesses all the tools to make it happen. As he continues to develop his skating will improve as well.
Markus Vidicek #15 (F, L, Lac St.Louis, 5’10”, 145lbs)- Hard working forward with a good motor who wears down his opponents. Another player who did not have his best offensive performance during the camp however his skill set, and tenacity was evident on a couple of shifts. Rather than make a pretty play or dangle Vidicek prefers the hard play by barreling through defenseman. Although Vidicek may not have been scoring he remains effective by forechecking and grinding his opponents out. You know when he’s out there he will work his tail off no matter the circumstances.
B-

Pier-Olivier Roy #5 (D, L, Beauces-Appalaches, 5’10”, 140lbs)- Roy was solid during this camp as he kept his game simple. Breakout passes were on the tape, did not try anything risky, played a good gap all while keeping solid communication with whomever his partner was. There’s a calmness to Roy’s game which keeps him poised in different situations. Roy will need to get stronger to battle at the next level against bigger opponents.
Jake Rozzi #18 (F, L, Lac St.Louis, 5’11”, 155lbs)- Snake bit throughout the week Rozzi missed a bunch of chances including a couple of breakaways. His long stick allows him to pull of some crafty plays with some quick unexpected shots on net. Down low he’s elusive in finding the loose puck and coming up with a grade A scoring chance in front of the net. A shoot first type player who needs to play with players who will set him up in the quiet areas. Skating is an area of Rozzi’s game that needs work. As competition gets tougher and opponents get bigger it will be harder for Rozzi to remain dominant offensively if his skating does not pick up a notch.
Xavier Labbe #11 (F, L, Elites de Beauce-Appalaches, 5’10”, 160lbs)- Mentioned an extra player here because Labbe had a bit of coming out party during the week. He really showed everyone what he’s capable of showing off confidence with the puck making difficult plays look easy. All week he complemented his linemates with his soft touch and finesse. Scored a nice goal one-timing a pass on a 2-1. Really enjoyed watching his game as he was one of the surprising players during this camp.
***Please note: James Swan (L, F, Espoir Tigers), who is a projected Top 5 QMJHL Draft prospect, missed camp due to injury.

Can you please provide a link to this post, seems very interesting that the link is in English and not French.

Shawi1978

Nov 9, 2019
Brouillons après 3 jours au Challenge RSEQ Juvénile Division 1 à Gatineau

College bourget
-Faille
-Raymond
-Tisseur
-Lemaire
-Sauvé

Nicolas-Gatineau
-Cournoyer
-Lamontagne
-Grant
-Beaudoin (G)

College francais
-Cuevas-belisle, c
-Cuevas-belisle, x
-Edmond

Cap-Jeunesse
-Laniel
-Delorme
-Croteau

Cardinal-Roy
-Dussault
-Michaud

Massey-Vanier
-Baillargeon
-Granger
-Tougas
-Gendron
-Cléroux
-Tracey
-Delorme
-Allen (G)

Marcel-Landry
-Caron
-Perrier
-Berteau
-Lebeau
-Brault (G)
-D’amour

Demortagne
-Desforges
-Arsenault
-Tremblay
-Delisle
-Bourgault

Wilbrod-Dufour
-Talbot
-Voyer
-Potvin
-Poirier

Chene-bleu
-Rondeau
-Simoneau
-Regnier
-Legault
-Renaud
-Boissonneault (G)

Sainte-Thérèse
-Bigras
-Aubé
-Hogue
-Chevrier

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Brouillons après 3 jours au Challenge RSEQ Juvenile Division 1 à Gatineau

College bourget
-Faille
-Raymond
-Tisseur
-Lemaire
-Sauvé

Nicolas-Gatineau
-Cournoyer
-Lamontagne
-Grant
-Beaudoin (G)

College francais
-Cuevas-belisle, c
-Cuevas-belisle, x
-Edmond

Cap-Jeunesse
-Laniel
-Delorme
-Croteau

Cardinal-Roy
-Dussault
-Michaud

Massey-Vanier
-Baillargeon
-Granger
-Tougas
-Gendron
-Cléroux
-Tracey
-Delorme
-Allen (G)

Marcel-Landry
-Caron
-Perrier
-Berteau
-Lebeau
-Brault (G)
-D’amour

Demortagne
-Desforges
-Arsenault
-Tremblay
-Delisle
-Bourgault

Wilbrod-Dufour
-Talbot
-Voyer
-Potvin
-Poirier

Chene-bleu
-Rondeau
-Simoneau
-Regnier
-Legault
-Renaud
-Boissonneault (G)

Sainte-Thérèse
-Bigras
-Aubé
-Hogue
-Chevrier

In 2019 QMJHL, only 3 players from Juvenile were selected. All three were 15 years old (2003): Gendron (late - December 30th 2003), Lagacé-Aurélien and Sauvé.

In 2018, no Juvenile D1 was drafted.

In 2017, Corbeil was selected as a 15 years old (2001).

You suggest a lot of players but how many out of Juvenile will be selected this year? If so, how many 16 years old?

Last edited:

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
Does anyone with more knowledge about goalies than I have know anything about PEI's Jack Howatt ? He appears solid to me and I hear his name mentioned from time to time

I've watched Jack howatt play quite a bit over the last 2-3 years and his development has been superb! He is big frame, moves very well but his compete level is unreal. Can't teach it. He is playing pretty well on a team that is quite poor in front of him. Faces 30+ shots each night and I think he has a lot of potential however i feel his draft stock may slide a touch based on his numbers. I would put him right up there in the top goalie conversation from atlantic canada for the draft.

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
I've watched Jack howatt play quite a bit over the last 2-3 years and his development has been superb! He is big frame, moves very well but his compete level is unreal. Can't teach it. He is playing pretty well on a team that is quite poor in front of him. Faces 30+ shots each night and I think he has a lot of potential however i feel his draft stock may slide a touch based on his numbers. I would put him right up there in the top goalie conversation from atlantic canada for the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad