Early look at 2020 QMJHL draft so far

MidgetFan

Oct 23, 2019
Interesting to see 2 NL kids on your list. They need to have big tounrys when the go to the Monctonian and Ice Jan to really prove them selves. Your top 5 are down right dominate but i am not sure of Goyettes territory. Justin Côté can be a serious sleeper in this years draft. Swan drop because of injury? And how is LaStarza doing for him to drop or is he eyeing NCAA?

Badcock is a serious prospect. Marshall made NL's Canada Games team as an underager but Badcock was injured during the tryout process.

NL has a great crop of goalies. Riley Mercer of TriPen Osprey is Dawson Mercer's brother. He could really turn some heads at Monctonian and IceJam for sure. Doesn't seem to be much to get excited about in terms of 2004 forwards from NL.

hockeylife11

May 10, 2018
From what I have seen, I believe both these kids are great prospects. They both bring something different to the game. Badcock is more offensive but not very physical. Marshall is more defensive and is a physical player and has a bomb of a shot. They both have high hockey IQ.

I watched Canada Winter Games on line and thought Marshall did well with Team NL as an underager. I would have placed him as a top 3 defenseman on the team in a 2003 group. It was unfortunate Badcock was injured at the time.

I like Nathan Casey as an NL forward. He's playing this year at Mount St. Charles Academy and I think he may be going NCAA. Played last year in Nova Scotia with the Gulls.

Another goalie I like along with Riley Mercer is Mitchell Dinn from the Central Impact. He played last year with Kings Edgehill in Nova Scotia.

These are just my views. I catch the Midget games whenever I can. Hoping some of these kids catch the eye of some scouts.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Well, I understood that when I see Charbonneau #4 and Verreault #13.

But you're right, it's your opinion, and I respect that.
Robidas is 5'7" but he was stronger (physically) than Verreault is at the same age
Every step, it's a concern for Verreault (PW to Bantam, Bantam to Midget). But everytime, he still awesome. So I'm not really worried (well, at least for the junior. After it's something different)
Verreault is the best offensive talent in the draft for sure...I get scared off of his size, but like I said maybe a team will not be scared of that...I always think of guys like Francis Charette (spelling might be off)

Benoitb

Aug 8, 2018
Verreault is the best offensive talent in the draft for sure...I get scared off of his size, but like I said maybe a team will not be scared of that...I always think of guys like Francis Charette (spelling might be off)

Yes you spelled it right: Francis Charrette

But it's exactly my point, Francis Charrette was a goor player Junior. He finished with 130 pts in 130 games. It's maybe not elite, but it's not bad either. (And it was an other style of hockey, an other era)

I was at the U15 Hockey program last year. There were big guys like Charbonneau (who was 6'1" and 220 lbs), Bjorn, Warren (was 6'3 and more than 200 lbs), etc.
Verreault finish as one of the 3 best players of this camp. (IMO, with Luneau and Swan)

I'm maybe wrong, but I trully believe that he is going to be a good junior player

Reactions: Pospect Tracker

NewfieInOntario

May 7, 2018
Badcock is a serious prospect. Marshall made NL's Canada Games team as an underager but Badcock was injured during the tryout process.

NL has a great crop of goalies. Riley Mercer of TriPen Osprey is Dawson Mercer's brother. He could really turn some heads at Monctonian and IceJam for sure. Doesn't seem to be much to get excited about in terms of 2004 forwards from NL.
Interesting how high can you see badcock going? And what about Marshall? Couple of kids from NB could be on this list as well. D Man Jett McCollum, Matteo Mann and Ethan Dollemont. Forwards Sam Oliver, Tyler guy, Kiefer Lyons and Sam Savoie

NewfieInOntario

May 7, 2018
From what I have seen, I believe both these kids are great prospects. They both bring something different to the game. Badcock is more offensive but not very physical. Marshall is more defensive and is a physical player and has a bomb of a shot. They both have high hockey IQ.

I watched Canada Winter Games on line and thought Marshall did well with Team NL as an underager. I would have placed him as a top 3 defenseman on the team in a 2003 group. It was unfortunate Badcock was injured at the time.

I like Nathan Casey as an NL forward. He's playing this year at Mount St. Charles Academy and I think he may be going NCAA. Played last year in Nova Scotia with the Gulls.

Another goalie I like along with Riley Mercer is Mitchell Dinn from the Central Impact. He played last year with Kings Edgehill in Nova Scotia.

These are just my views. I catch the Midget games whenever I can. Hoping some of these kids catch the eye of some scouts.
Does anyone know if the Monctonian is live streamed? I’d love to see goalies from newfoundland as we usually never produce goaltenders. Last kid from NL was Fitzpatrick and he moved away and developed at a young age in Nova Scotia

MidgetFan

Oct 23, 2019
Does anyone know if the Monctonian is live streamed? I’d love to see goalies from newfoundland as we usually never produce goaltenders. Last kid from NL was Fitzpatrick and he moved away and developed at a young age in Nova Scotia

Generally yes. Commentary from Rink A, just the play from the other 3

MidgetFan

Oct 23, 2019
Interesting how high can you see badcock going? And what about Marshall? Couple of kids from NB could be on this list as well. D Man Jett McCollum, Matteo Mann and Ethan Dollemont. Forwards Sam Oliver, Tyler guy, Kiefer Lyons and Sam Savoie

At this point it's hard to say without knowing all the kids in the region well. But he's fairly big, skates well, and has pretty high puck skill. As with many players this age, emotional control is up and down.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Who do you guys think are the Top 10 best defencemen eligible for the draft? Possible NCAA commitment can be included.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Also Rémi Delafontaine seems to be playing extremely well in the QMAAA right now not sure if he's been talked about. 8GP | 1.64GAA | .933% not sure his size and weight and his hockey history but just viewing from stats he seems to be well.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
Luneau - Warren - Hopkins - Hinkley - Lamoureux - Furlong - Mastrodominico - Charbonneau - Marshall - and ????? for #10 many good candidates

Luneau
Hinkley
Charbonneau
Warren
Mastrodominico

Those are your top 5. Lamoureux may have an argument.
After that’s it’s a crap shoot.

quebec west

Dec 10, 2018
My Midget Espoir List so far. Its the games that i have seen do far. More to come.

Gatineau

Reid
Pieschke
Hunter

Conquerant

Lessard
Caron

Lions

Kelechian
Hryckowian
Cohen

Select Du Nord

Legault
Labbe
Ritchie

Laval

Lebeau
Rizzo
Mourdain

Pionniers

Lapierre
Hunter for Intrépides? Do you have the right guy?

NorthAmHockey

Sep 30, 2019
Good discussion on Top 10 D men -

Who does everyone see as Top 10 Forwards for 2020 draft? Here is my shot at it (of course, early in the year still):

1 A Verreault
2 M Lastarza
3 C MacLean
4 M Vidicek
5 J Swan
6 J Sullivan
7 L Carruthers
8 J Cote
9 J Vetrano
10 C A Beauregard

Reactions: Hockeyfirst

Hockeyfirst

Oct 19, 2018
Luneau
Hinkley
Charbonneau
Warren
Mastrodominico

Those are your top 5. Lamoureux may have an argument.
After that’s it’s a crap shoot.

If youre looking at a top 5 Charbonneau need to be removed from that list. Luneau, Hinkley, Warren, Mastrodominico, Lamoureux , Hopkins and Furlong will bring more to a team on a long term basis

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
If youre looking at a top 5 Charbonneau need to be removed from that list. Luneau, Hinkley, Warren, Mastrodominico, Lamoureux , Hopkins and Furlong will bring more to a team on a long term basis

That is fairs. I’m thinking of his physical maturity. That is why I have him in top fives.
I hear some of these D will go NCAA.

Hockeyfirst

Oct 19, 2018
That is fairs. I’m thinking of his physical maturity. That is why I have him in top fives.
I hear some of these D will go NCAA.

I agree at 100% with is maturity. and yes, pretty scary that many of theses D are heading to NCAA.

dwgs

Apr 23, 2019
Maybe strategy to get on the Q teams they want to be on. I’m not a big fans of that approach.
I think it makes a lot of sense, if you have a shot at a free (or subsidized) quality education while playing high level hockey. A lot of pro players coming from the NCAA these days. My kid is 13 and his goal right now is to play NCAA D1 because he recognizes that the odds are against making a living playing. Good to have something to fall back on.

Double OT

Nov 25, 2018
I think it makes a lot of sense, if you have a shot at a free (or subsidized) quality education while playing high level hockey. A lot of pro players coming from the NCAA these days. My kid is 13 and his goal right now is to play NCAA D1 because he recognizes that the odds are against making a living playing. Good to have something to fall back on.

Absolutely agree,it’s a great options. My points was more about a player manipulating where they go in the draft by using a NCAA commitment that they never plan on using.
If the player is actually planning the US college route then great. That’s my point.

Reactions: dwgs

rolliethegoalie

Aug 25, 2018
Absolutely agree,it’s a great options. My points was more about a player manipulating where they go in the draft by using a NCAA commitment that they never plan on using.
If the player is actually planning the US college route then great. That’s my point.
I think every player has different options that are optimal. It is in fact true that making reasonable money playing hockey is for the few. Considering this, you have to make choices that mitigate risk. For some kids getting a D1 scholarship is their version of pro hockey. For others who are talented, playing major junior is the best route. For others who may not be ready for an academic path may want to pursue their passion and take a year off from school to reflect on their next move and play junior at whatever level. The truth is every player has options and hopefully they choose the best path that is realistic with their academic and athletic pursuits. The only concern is that parents are trying to map out futures for their kids and in the process are removing the fun of actually playing the game they love - despite the parents best intentions. Support them and help them through the process in an objective manner.

Reactions: dwgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad