Dynasty Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royster31

Jan 29, 2013
Harrowsmith, Ontario
St.Louis Blues GM

Breaking News!

The St.Louis Blues have dealt struggling forward C. Stewart, Edmonton's 2nd round pick in 2014 and a 3rd round pick of their own in 2019 to the Edmonton Oilers for RW J. Eberle.

The Blues have been trying to ship out Stewart for weeks now has he has lost a lot of his minutes due to lack of production of the first line. He asked to be move and we did what he wanted and got a quality player back in Jordan who is alos locked up for the next six years.

Jordan will take his spot on the second line along with Berglund and Steen.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I started a Nashville GM the other day. Trades from memory:

Eric Nystrom and Matt Cullen for Sobotka and Bishop
Fisher and ?? For Steen and Rattie

Love my line-up. Steen has five goals in two games.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Somebody want to provide me with a definitive guide on how players progress in NHL 14?

I know that players get better during the season, but in the post-season how does it work?

Does that progress "kick" occur after the re-sign stage?

And does a player that progresses really well during the regular season, experience a "kick" on top of the season progress? Or does he reset back to base stats and then get a kick?

I find it a little harder to predict how players are going to grow in NHL 14

you Giroux it for me

Feb 7, 2012
Philadelphia
To be fair, I had traded St. Louis for their first round pick early in the season, only to have St. Louis win the Presidents trophy. So I decided to take an extreme risk in the draft by taking Nick Cannone, a 1 star player from England, with plans to turn him into a superstar despite his lack of potential and his fairly poor attributes. So I didn't lose too much, but still. There goes a first round pick. I actually enjoy some of the goofy things that occur, it adds a little variety and interest to the game (like the fact that if you fantasy draft you can sign a 62 overall 14 year old to play in the NHL/AHL despite probably violating various labor laws.
It's amusing what you can actually find in games if you look hard enough (or get horribly unlucky). At least the event makes an interesting story and if it happens again I'll probably end up writing a story to post on here.
I'm going to say I got Cannoned here until I can find a real life example of this, I haven't searched for that yet.

who?

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Just finished my first regular season of my dynasty and starting the playoffs tonight against Toronto. I replaced the Florida Panthers with the Quebec Remparts (I did this using NHL View so I could have the real uniforms logo, and arena), and made a few trades that no one in their right mind would have made :laugh:

First I acquired Paul Stastny from Colorado for Tom Gilbert, a prospect and a pick. Because it wouldn't feel like an real NHL Quebec team without a Stastny on it!

Then I traded Alexander Barkov and two minor leaguers to Toronto for David Clarkson, Cody Franson, and Mark Fraser. I think in the long run I'll get the short end of the stick on this deal, as Barkov is already rated a 79 at the end of the year! But this increased my toughness across the board, and whether it matters in game or not, I like a tough team.

Finally I traded Marcel Goc to San Jose for Raffi Torres. I can't stand Torres, but for some reason playing a video game with players I hate seems to appeal; go figure!

My line-up starting the year:

Fleischmann-Stastny-Kopecky
Bergenheim-Huberdeau-Versteeg
Upshall-Matthias-Clarkson
Torres-Shore-Crabb

Campbell-Gudbranson
Kulikov-Franson
Fraser-Weaver

Markstrom
Clemmenson

I was pleasantly surprised with Jacob Markstrom; he has been stellar in the net for me, despite his 80 overall rating. I only play home games, and many times in the regular season, not even those. We were in third place at the deadline, and I made a move with Dallas to acquire Erik Cole and Stephane Robidas to shore up my 2nd line and depth and give me a defensive presence and strengthen my team D.

Paul Stastny led the team with 65 points, and Markstrom ended the year with an astounding 38 wins and 2.02 GAA!! :handclap:

Think it's great that I'm matching up with Barkov and Toronto in round one!

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Started a new one as the Islanders. At the '14 draft we had the 3rd overall pick, used it on Michael Dal Colle (4.5 yellow, 68 ovr). The interesting thing though, is that 3 of the top-5 picks were 5 star goalie.

1st overall - Oskari Setanen, 5 yellow, 53 overall
2nd overall - Simon Lemieux, 5 yellow, 64 overall
4th overall - Philipp Hahl, 5 yellow, 42 overall

As of the 16/17 trade deadline, Setanen is a 68, Lemieux is a 91, and Hahl is a 61. Needing goaltending, I made a trade...

To Minnesota:
Ryan Pulock (4.5 yellow, 72 overall)
Kevin Poulin (3.5 red, 82 overall)
2017 1st
2018 1st
2020 1st

To Islanders:
Simon Lemieux (5 yellow, 91 overall)
Alexis D'Aoust (2.5 red, 48 overall)

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
At the beginning of the 17/18 season, these are the lines for my Islanders
Vanek (86) - Tavares (89) - Grabner (87)
Paquin Boudreau (82) - McDavid (86) - Dal Colle (89)
Clutterbuck (83) - Cizikas (83) - Okposo (84)
Martin (78) - Nielsen (81) - Bouchard (83)

Gardiner (86) - Hamonic (85)
MacDonald (82) - Petry (84)
De Haan (81) - Day (76)

Lemieux (92)
DiPietro (81)

And the lines for the Sound Tigers
Strome (74) - Bailey (81) - Nylander (74)
Ritchie (70) - Lee (80) - Kabanov (73)
Persson (72) - Sundstrom (75) - McDonald (70)
Lehkonen (68) - Teravainen (64) - Quine (66)

Donovan (78) - Reinhart (76)
Cornell (74) - Mayfield (77)
Strait (74) - Pedan (73)

Nilsson (79)
Montgomery (60)

Salary Cap: $80.055m
Projected Spent: $75.672m
Cap Space: $4.383m

melnyk budget*

my sens team sucks so much. first year i went to 2nd round, kept pretty much the same roster and ended up with a top 5 pick the year after. now i'm 11-20-2. i have 4.5* in off def and goal and if i dont win by shutout i dont win at all. seriously, 9 of 11 wins have been a shutout.

and help?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Is there a way to spread out time across the line-up better without manual line changes? My first line plays like 35 minutes per game.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Is there a way to spread out time across the line-up better without manual line changes? My first line plays like 35 minutes per game.

Do you play the games yourself?

Or simulate?

If you play the games yourself, try increasing your fatigue so that your top line isn't always ready to play after a 30 second break. Also, try decreasing your fatigue recovery so that they require a bit more time to recover after their shifts.

If you are simulating your games, then adjust where your star players are playing. Chances are, you have them everywhere in your lineup (1st line, 1st PP, 1st PK, etc). While that's not a bad thing, there are ways that you can decrease their ice time (especially by taking them off of the PK).

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
my sens team sucks so much. first year i went to 2nd round, kept pretty much the same roster and ended up with a top 5 pick the year after. now i'm 11-20-2. i have 4.5* in off def and goal and if i dont win by shutout i dont win at all. seriously, 9 of 11 wins have been a shutout.

and help?

As mentioned many times before, we need way more info than this. Without knowing anything about the team, it's very important to make line adjustments throughout the season as players go on streaks/slumps. Another tip would to get maximum efficiency out of your powerplays and penalty kills. Go into the GM tracker, and in there you will find a list of your best offensive players and your best defensive players. Obviously, your best offensive players should be on the powerplay and your best defensive players should be on the PK.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Lower your fatigue recovery slider.

Do you play the games yourself?

Or simulate?

If you play the games yourself, try increasing your fatigue so that your top line isn't always ready to play after a 30 second break. Also, try decreasing your fatigue recovery so that they require a bit more time to recover after their shifts.

If you are simulating your games, then adjust where your star players are playing. Chances are, you have them everywhere in your lineup (1st line, 1st PP, 1st PK, etc). While that's not a bad thing, there are ways that you can decrease their ice time (especially by taking them off of the PK).
Thank you guys, I play the game myself.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I finally got into playing the game and have had some fun so far. I moved Brassard and Callahan for Tarasenko and Roy in my first season. Tarasenko is such a beast

Dezmoto

May 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Anyone else build a monster team that for some reason underperforms enough to get you fired, then have to watch them dominate the NHL the next season and win the cup? *face palm*

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Anyone else build a monster team that for some reason underperforms enough to get you fired, then have to watch them dominate the NHL the next season and win the cup? *face palm*

Turn GM firing off ALWAYS!!!!! IVE been in your shoes man, its miserable

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

and help?

One of the more difficult things to do in Be a GM, is to identify why your team is struggling or doing very well.

Look at your team's statistics - are you scoring goals? (2.75 GPG +)? Keeping goals out? (2.25 GAA or less)? Are your special teams doing a good job? (PP% 20%, PK% 85%).

Goalie keeping the puck out of the net? D playing well, etc etc

Best bet would be to take note of a few of your team's key stats, sim a month, and then see how they change. Notice trends, like whether your PP or PK is getting better or worse, and make ajdustments if need be.

If you look beyond the record, and get into a habit of constantly checking into your team and seeing how they are performing, you can become remarkably accurate at figuring out what things are working for your team and not working for your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00