Dylan Strome Appreciation Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Updating this from the last time. Strome's last 7 games at the dot..

83%
33%
78%
47%
58%
57%
50% (yesterday's game)

Gotta remember the kid is still developing as a player. It looks like something has clicked for him there though and it's great to see.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If we’re giving Strome four million it should be for four plus years and even then I’m not really comfortable with it.

I think he’s a 45-65 point winger that’s baby shit soft. He’ll have 18-27 years mixed in with 23-42 years. He’s definitely a guy dependant on his linemates.

Strome: I’m a nearly 70 point center, I’d be a steal at $4 million.

Bowman: Listen Dill, you’re f***ing baby shit soft. I can’t commit $4 million to a diaper full of soft serve.

Strome: But what about my point production?

Bowman: What about you getting jumped by a pack of babies when you left the UC yesterday? There was lots of crying, but it definitely wasn’t from any of them.

Strome: Oh. You heard about that, huh?

Bowman: We have video.

Strome: Well, I think it was pretty unfair of Kubalik’s nephews to do that.

Bowman: Dill, you’re taking $3 million a year. Now get the f*** out of my office and go clean out your diaper.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If we’re giving Strome four million it should be for four plus years and even then I’m not really comfortable with it.

I think he’s a 45-65 point winger that’s baby shit soft. He’ll have 18-27 years mixed in with 23-42 years. He’s definitely a guy dependant on his linemates.

He's going to be a solid top 9 forward and not much more. I'm really curious/anxious to see what Bowman signs him for this summer

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYLAN STROME
giphy.gif

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's simply not an NHL caliber center. He's a winger. A 3rd line winger on a good-to-great team.

Pay him no more than you would a 3rd line winger, or trade him for assets.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
If your third line is a sheltered line?

Yeah. Assuming the 4th line is the dungeon start line, 3rd line is the sheltered bum-slaying line.

If you want only one sheltered line on your team, then trade Strome. He's not a 2nd line center or winger, and you're always going to shelter Kane first for the higher upside he provides.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah. Assuming the 4th line is the dungeon start line, 3rd line is the sheltered bum-slaying line.

If you want only one sheltered line on your team, then trade Strome. He's not a 2nd line center or winger, and you're always going to shelter Kane first for the higher upside he provides.

Are there examples of successful teams that had two forward lines that needed to be sheltered?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He's simply not an NHL caliber center. He's a winger. A 3rd line winger on a good-to-great team.

Pay him no more than you would a 3rd line winger, or trade him for assets.
Hard disagree. He's a worse player at wing than he is at center. At C, he can put up 60-70 points while being a defensive liability. At wing, he's not even an NHL player.

If you're so concerned about his defensive shortcomings at C, then trade him to a team that isn't. Playing him at wing will just continue to tank his value because he absolutely sucks there.

Strome is not a winger, he's a center. If he's not a center, he's not worth having on the roster at all.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If your third line is a sheltered line?

You're talking to a guy who ripped the Strome/Schmaltz trade even before Strome put on a Hawks sweater (mostly cause of his speed but also essentially called him a bust). We know where Jaeger stands on that and his stubbornness to change his mind/admit he was wrong.

Reactions: Muffinalt

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Are there examples of successful teams that had two forward lines that needed to be sheltered?

Yeah. The Blackhawks. ;)

In 2010, one of the top 2 lines (depending on composition) and the 4th line were sheltered.

In 2013, the 2nd and 3rd line were sheltered.

In 2015, the 2nd and 3rd line were sheltered.

You can shelter two lines if you have both the high-end talent and the depth to make it work. I'm not sure the Blackhawks do anymore though. Most teams seem to be leaning towards having as few 'speciality' lines as possible though.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Hard disagree. He's a worse player at wing than he is at center. At C, he can put up 60-70 points while being a defensive liability. At wing, he's not even an NHL player.

If you're so concerned about his defensive shortcomings at C, then trade him to a team that isn't. Playing him at wing will just continue to tank his value because he absolutely sucks there.

Strome is not a winger, he's a center. If he's not a center, he's not worth having on the roster at all.

Dylan Strome has never put up 60-70 points in the NHL as a center. He likely never will.

He had a nice stretch where every percentage was falling in his favor despite middling-to-bad underlying numbers, and then had an entirely predictable regression to the mean.

He's not any worse at wing than he is at center, he simply hasn't had the benefit of the PDO binge he had last season while playing at wing this season. He is what he is, and giving him as little defensive responsibility and accounting for his general floating behavior is a far better tact than crossing your fingers and hoping he can both control the play and stay on the right side of the puck with his sub-par skating.

If you feel he can't hack it as a winger, then yes, trade him. Cause he'll never hack it as a center in the NHL.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Dylan Strome has never put up 60-70 points in the NHL as a center. He likely never will.

He had a nice stretch where every percentage was falling in his favor despite middling-to-bad underlying numbers, and then had an entirely predictable regression to the mean.

He's not any worse at wing than he is at center, he simply hasn't had the benefit of the PDO binge he had last season while playing at wing this season. He is what he is, and giving him as little defensive responsibility and accounting for his general floating behavior is a far better tact than crossing your fingers and hoping he can both control the play and stay on the right side of the puck with his sub-par skating.
He played center in 2019, and put up 51 pts in 58 games with the Hawks. He was playing center and had 30 pts in 40 games before his ankle injury. He came back, they put him at wing and he sucked. Then, they put him at center and he immediately started putting up points again.

Strome is an offensive center. Leave him there, and he'll be fine. Continue playing him at wing and he'll be traded for peanuts to a team that knows what they're doing, playing him at C and having a 60-70 point player.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He played center in 2019, and put up 51 pts in 58 games with the Hawks. He was playing center and had 30 pts in 40 games before his ankle injury. He came back, they put him at wing and he sucked. Then, they put him at center and he immediately started putting up points again.

Strome is an offensive center. Leave him there, and he'll be fine. Continue playing him at wing and he'll be traded for peanuts to a team that knows what they're doing, playing him at C and having a 60-70 point player.

The Blackhawks, or any team they trade him to for that matter, would be foolish to pay him more than 4.5x4.

Being an offensive center is fine, on a team that has the depth to insulate such a player. The Blackhawks are already insulating a younger center with a much higher upside in Dach. They can't bubble-wrap two guys and ice a competitive team. Few teams could.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The Blackhawks, or any team they trade him to for that matter, would be foolish to pay him more than 4.5x4.

Being an offensive center is fine, on a team that has the depth to insulate such a player. The Blackhawks are already insulating a younger center with a much higher upside in Dach. They can't bubble-wrap two guys and ice a competitive team. Few teams could.

They don't need to insulate Dach. He is a 200ft player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad