It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
upload_2019-8-24_18-38-44.jpeg

cc @Kevin Musto

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Hey @Kevin Musto , and others, listen to the latest Madhouse Chicago Hockey Podcast. Most notably the 55:50 mark.

They discuss why this may be Strome’s second and final year as a Blackhawk, and say it’s a 25% chance Strome and Dach are both Hawks after this year.

So it’s not just me seeing the writing on the wall here. (Again, not saying I like it but it’s where I think Bowman is heading)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hey @Kevin Musto , and others, listen to the latest Madhouse Chicago Hockey Podcast. Most notably the 55:50 mark.

They discuss why this may be Strome’s second and final year as a Blackhawk, and say it’s a 25% chance Strome and Dach are both Hawks after this year.

So it’s not just me seeing the writing on the wall here. (Again, not saying I like it but it’s where I think Bowman is heading)
Get this nonsense away from my appreciation thread

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

25% seems way too low...They have other cap they can move out to keep Strome...

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Give Strome 15M

But for real as T2B said there are quite a few tradable contracts like Saad or ones that can be bought out like Maatta. Also Crow coming off the books.

Crow coming off doesn’t matter as that money will just go to Lehner.

Also, how are you so sure Bowman wants to trade away the depth he feels is needed?

I don’t think they just turn Saad, Shaw, Maatta (if he shows he can be a top-4 SAH D) into cap dumps in order to keep DeBrincat’s buddy.

If Stan wasn’t scared to move Kane’s buddy, he definitely won’t hesitate to move Strome’s if he thinks it makes the team better overall, especially if he feels Dach can step in a fill that role better with more of a two-way game while on an ELC.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Plenty of options to fit Strome on the team. That podcast sounds overly speculative

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The Hawks shouldn't need to buyout anyone (except Seabrook). Gus and SK will most likely be gone as well (backfilled with ELCs). Then Saad the following year (I think Saad's money will end up being Strome's money). The other think to keep in mind is that they could have Strome sign a 1 year deal then they have the Expansion draft to move a player the next year.

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The Hawks shouldn't need to buyout anyone (except Seabrook). Gus and SK will most likely be gone as well (backfilled with ELCs). Then Saad the following year (I think Saad's money will end up being Strome's money). The other think to keep in mind is that they could have Strome sign a 1 year deal then they have the Expansion draft to move a player the next year.

Sure, or Stan could just move him for a high-end prospect that could be ready to take over the #2 center role in three to four years when Dach is the #1 center.

Saves himself the headache of trying to navigate cap hell and allows him to keep the depth that he just worked to acquire.

Edit: Also, I think the podcast is assuming a world where Strome replicates his point per game performance and demands $7-8 million, that’s more than what moving Saad would open.

Last edited:

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Lots of options next summer and it really depends on what figure DeBrincat ends up getting. But its doable to both keep Saad and extend Strome at 7m. In that case we lose Gus, Cagguila, Kubalik and would have to trade Zack Smith and one of the D, say Maatta (maybe buying them out could be enough).

We would lose a lot of our depth and some of the newly aquired guys too which i guess is unlikely - Stan mustve thought about this before bringing them in.

So it would be better to move Saad imo (he will only have 1 year left on his contract anyway) and keep our depth. I view Saad as a luxury depth piece coz he makes top 6 money, but his production is very middle 6. I think as long as his defensive contributions are replaced adquately a guy making much less can cover his place. But Strome is different, he's a legit top 6 line driver (as long as he repeats and builds on last year).

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Cap hell is always so overblown. Especially when we are talking about contracts that haven’t even been signed yet. Sign your young talent and trim the fat when needed. If Strome does replicate his year it’s not good practice to trade him with the hope Dach can fill his shoes. That’s terrible management.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You guys are acting like Stan has not already set a precedent for trading away younger talent that needed to be paid.

You really think it’s that crazy for him to trade away Strome, especially with his new prized draft pick ready to take the spot?

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You guys are acting like Stan has not already set a precedent for trading away younger talent that needed to be paid.

You really think it’s that crazy for him to trade away Strome?

YES

Having Toews/Strome/Dach down the middle for the next 5+ years will be such a huge asset for this team. You are acting like Stan is not fully aware of having to re-sign Strome when he acquired all of this depth this offseason.

There isn't a single Blackhawks podcast that presents authoritative information. Even Pat Boyle's. These guys are speculating like the rest of us

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

You really think it’s that crazy for him to trade away Strome?
I would find it odd if he did (Stan trade Strome)..we talked last week about this, but he traded away Schmaltz who was a young talented player who just signed long term in Arizona, him then not keeping Strome would be odd as hell if he performs like he did last year. I do believe having a 3C at $7mil plus is not ideal, but that still depends on Dach and how quickly he can become that true #2C which likely takes 2-3 years...and what Toews does this year.

like others have said, the names that would likely get moved first would be Maatta, Saad and Murphy..two of those names will be on their last year anyway after next year..Gus would not be signed here long term and that IMO is the most important issue. Unless Boqvist is ready and can show it at the NHL level, losing Gus would be back breaking if we have no one ready to step in. I know Boqvist can/will be that at some point, just don't know exactly when that will be..

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
YES

Having Toews/Strome/Dach down the middle for the next 5+ years will be such a huge asset for this team. You are acting like Stan is not fully aware of having to re-sign Strome when he acquired all of this depth this offseason.

There isn't a single Blackhawks podcast that presents authoritative information. Even Pat Boyle's. These guys are speculating like the rest of us

I understand it’s speculation, but it’s something I brought up long before these podcasts did.

I just don’t trust that Stan will keep him, despite us fans seeing the advantage of Toews/Strome/Dach down the middle for the next 5+ years

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I would find it odd if he did (Stan trade Strome)..we talked last week about this, but he traded away Schmaltz who was a young talented player who just signed long term in Arizona, him then not keeping Strome would be odd as hell if he performs like he did last year. I do believe having a 3C at $7mil plus is not ideal, but that still depends on Dach and how quickly he can become that true #2C which likely takes 2-3 years...and what Toews does this year.

like others have said, the names that would likely get moved first would be Maatta, Saad and Murphy..two of those names will be on their last year anyway after next year..Gus would not be signed here long term and that IMO is the most important issue. Unless Boqvist is ready and can show it at the NHL level, losing Gus would be back breaking if we have no one ready to step in. I know Boqvist can/will be that at some point, just don't know exactly when that will be..

So we should anticipate this being the last year for Saad, Murphy, Gus, and Maatta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->