Dylan McIlrath Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I like that draft trade scenario. Buffalo has two late firsts as of now.

If the return is right MCI's chip should be in play this year. Lots of teams trending downward right now, gonna be a very interesting trade deadline. Toronto is in but they won't outlast the teams that are surging, Blue Jackets for one. Detroit has actually been bad in close games when it comes to points, that's not good since most games will be close down the stretch. I think plenty of teams will be active being its going to be a dogfight down to the wire with more than just the usual few teams.

The mediocre teams over the last few years have gotten better while the teams we usually see at the top are coming back down to earth. I wonder if Winnipeg will be sellers if they're in the same position two months from now? Big Buff might be in play, Boston maybe? Would Slats try to beat them out of Buff with a dangle of a Manitoba boy ?

I was thinking Edmonton. They nabbed Pittsburgh's 1st in exchange for Perron, and they're under the gun to make improvements immediately. McIlrath isn't NHL ready for a contending team, but a basement dweller could certainly afford to give him minutes. Edmonton liked him at the draft, and I can imagine them rolling the dice on him now.

I agree that the TDL will be interesting. There should be more separation this year. The other situation with McIlrath is that they try and move him for a prospect who is in a similar spot. High draft pedigree, but needs a change of scenery for any number of reasons and fits the team needs a bit better. I.e., said team has an abundance of puck movers or scoring forwards, but needs a stay at home guy in the pool.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I might be misunderstanding your post, but how is McIlrath, or at least the "concept" of McIlrath, redundant in the Rangers system? Are you saying he's redundant because he's just a tweener defenseman, or are you saying that there is another player with his size/physicality combination in the system?

My concern is, and always has been, that players like him are no longer "needed" by anyone. This league is simply too fast for players lacking in mobility to succeed. I suppose that there will always be teams/coaches trying to buck the trend (i.e, Torts), but unless there are more rule changes I see a future in which these guys have been completely phased out. We're almost there now.

I'm saying he's redundant because Klein and Girardi are right-handed, stay at home defenders who don't bring a lot of puck moving ability to the table. Klein might be moving the chains a bit in that regard, but Girardi is what he is. So if the plan is to re-sign Staal, what do the Rangers do with McIlrath? Let him skate on the bottom pairing when Boyle leaves after another year?

None of these guys are as gritty as McIlrath is, but it might be in the Rangers best interest to move him while he's still unrealized potential. There isn't room for him unless there's an injury. Shutdown defenders are always going to be needed, regardless of what stat junkies like to say. The problem is whether or not McIlrath's defensive abilities will ever surpass his skill as a fighter. If they don't, that puts him in the "goon" category and that type of player will go the way of the Dodo. Alternatively, if he can develop a solid defensive game in the NHL, he becomes a guy who can shut down top scorers and change momentum with his physicality.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'm saying he's redundant because Klein and Girardi are right-handed, stay at home defenders who don't bring a lot of puck moving ability to the table. Klein might be moving the chains a bit in that regard, but Girardi is what he is. So if the plan is to re-sign Staal, what do the Rangers do with McIlrath? Let him skate on the bottom pairing when Boyle leaves after another year?

None of these guys are as gritty as McIlrath is, but it might be in the Rangers best interest to move him while he's still unrealized potential. There isn't room for him unless there's an injury. Shutdown defenders are always going to be needed, regardless of what stat junkies like to say. The problem is whether or not McIlrath's defensive abilities will ever surpass his skill as a fighter. If they don't, that puts him in the "goon" category and that type of player will go the way of the Dodo. Alternatively, if he can develop a solid defensive game in the NHL, he becomes a guy who can shut down top scorers and change momentum with his physicality.

I think could very well be the plan. Unless McIlrath can garner real value in a trade, either as part of a package, or "change of scenery" swap.

McIlrath is subject to waivers next season. He's not displacing Girardi, Klein, or Boyle on the right side, but Boyle only has one more season on his contract.

Slot McIlrath in as your 7th D. Get him tons of work in practice. He can be sent down on conditioning stints in Hartford if he really needs to be playing. He'll get time with injuries as well.

There are ways it can work.

NYRangerFan*

I really hope he makes this team one day. I would hate to see him become a solid defenseman on another team, if he becomes one at all

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Really? Hate to hear that, never a good sign for a kid trying to crack the lineup

The guy never backs down... Even when he should, but he'll get goaded in by lower level ahl goons.

He had a real wake up call after his nhl game.. He went down pissed and was really crap for a week and then he's been a lot better. He has been Unnoticeable and I mean that as a compliment.

He'll still work guys over a little too much though.

I'm not worried about much other than his ability to spring a rush and staying with in the whistles.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I think could very well be the plan. Unless McIlrath can garner real value in a trade, either as part of a package, or "change of scenery" swap.

McIlrath is subject to waivers next season. He's not displacing Girardi, Klein, or Boyle on the right side, but Boyle only has one more season on his contract.

Slot McIlrath in as your 7th D. Get him tons of work in practice. He can be sent down on conditioning stints in Hartford if he really needs to be playing. He'll get time with injuries as well.

There are ways it can work.

This is likely what will happen if he does not get traded.

But the first bold makes a move likely.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

I don't think so. It could be spun a few ways. The injury, the inexperience of the Pack blueliners he plays with, key players already on the big club/right side. If he's dealt they will undoubtedly say the words ' a change of scenery'.

I hear what you're saying but really, once he didn't make the squad this yr. and was called up during the barrage of injuries, and was the 1st sent down once 1 dman regained health, his stock dropped to an all time low. Yeah he's a RHD and that was who came back 1st but the decision was an easy one for AV/Sather.

I just don't see the value.

Like everyone else is saying, maybe in a package we can recoup something for him?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
for the record.

odc wasn't a big fan of that pick. I've grown weary of the discussion about this guy.

in many ways, we haven't really even had a real chance to watch him enough to know if he can play. he, in no way, has dominated at the ahl level. he's improved every year i guess, but still isn't an all-star or even one of the most complete defenseman in the A. he's just average at everything other than fighting.

he was drafted as a project. he hadn't played organized hockey for that long prior to his junior career. he never made a wj team. he was never recognized for anything other than fighting. his best moment in juniors was in 2010 playing in the chl top prospects game where he.... wait for it.... won a fight. yup. you cant make this stuff up.

his potential was always there (just ask gordie clark) and sadly, today, potential is what makes up most of what value he has remaining.

i wish the kid luck. top notch character kid. wish he had been some other teams reach though.

bad pick. bad choice. lets move on.

vlad tarasenko and his 22 goals (3rd in the league) says hello btw.:shakehead

NYRangerFan*

for the record.

odc wasn't a big fan of that pick. I've grown weary of the discussion about this guy.

in many ways, we haven't really even had a real chance to watch him enough to know if he can play. he, in no way, has dominated at the ahl level. he's improved every year i guess, but still isn't an all-star or even one of the most complete defenseman in the A. he's just average at everything other than fighting.

he was drafted as a project. he hadn't played organized hockey for that long prior to his junior career. he never made a wj team. he was never recognized for anything other than fighting. his best moment in juniors was in 2010 playing in the chl top prospects game where he.... wait for it.... won a fight. yup. you cant make this stuff up.

his potential was always there (just ask gordie clark) and sadly, today, potential is what makes up most of what value he has remaining.

i wish the kid luck. top notch character kid. wish he had been some other teams reach though.

bad pick. bad choice. lets move on.

vlad tarasenko and his 22 goals (3rd in the league) says hello btw.:shakehead

You say bad pick and lets move on, and then mention Tarasenko. :shakehead

NYRangerFan*

Especially for a team STARVED for offense and LOADED on D as we were.

Actually, it turned out we weren't loaded. Sanguinetti busted and Del Zotto fell apart, and we lost Sauer but that was after the draft but still, we weren't loaded and we still aren't loaded. We have a great NHL group but we have no top defensive prospects other than Skjei. If we traded up into the 1st and grabbed a dman, i wouldn't complain

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Actually, it turned out we weren't loaded. Sanguinetti busted and Del Zotto fell apart, and we lost Sauer but that was after the draft but still, we weren't loaded and we still aren't loaded. We have a great NHL group but we have no top defensive prospects other than Skjei. If we traded up into the 1st and grabbed a dman, i wouldn't complain

As it turned out.

At the time, the last thing we needed was more defense. No goalie prospects and no one to put the puck in the net. When we won, we won games 1-0 or 2-1. Hank and our defense were all we could hang our hats on.

NYRangerFan*

As it turned out.

At the time, the last thing we needed was more defense. No goalie prospects and no one to put the puck in the net. When we won, we won games 1-0 or 2-1. Hank and our defense were all we could hang our hats on.

I agree but looking back at that loaded defense, none of them are here. I try not to think about it because its frustrating and this team will never get a guy like Tarasenko or whoever because they go for size. Best to just let it go because it is very annoying

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I agree but looking back at that loaded defense, none of them are here. I try not to think about it because its frustrating and this team will never get a guy like Tarasenko or whoever because they go for size. Best to just let it go because it is very annoying

Staal, Girardi, McD?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You say bad pick and lets move on, and then mention Tarasenko. :shakehead

well, thats the guy i wish we had drafted.

ive made peace with the pick. its time to move on. like i said, i wish him well. prob not gonna play here.

were fortunate because we have some offensive kids in the pipeline that look like keepers.

NYRangerFan*

Staal, Girardi, McD?

We thought Del Zotto and Sanguinetti would pan out did we not? We had Sauer too. Thats what i meant. I doubt anybody expected to have the defense we have now with Klein, Boyle and Hunwick. Just funny how we were supposed to be set at PMD with Del Zotto and it completely failed

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
well, thats the guy i wish we had drafted.

ive made peace with the pick. its time to move on. like i said, i wish him well. prob not gonna play here.

were fortunate because we have some offensive kids in the pipeline that look like keepers.

I seem to remember you making a much bigger deal about Enver Lisin, so forgive me if I don't take your player evaluation all too seriously.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think your 2nd paragraph explains the scenario quite nicely. In 2010, a player like McIlrath was a perceived need. Remember that was the season Carcillo manhandled Gaborik and Girardi did nothing. Im not saying that moment cemented the drafting of McIlrath, but it sure did help.

Slats and company were fully dedicated to Torts in the summer of 2010, so a big tough defenseman seemed like a good fit. Trouble is, the league was in the midst of changing and continues to change. Its a skating league now, first and foremost. If you can't keep up, you can't play in the league. Defensemen like McIlrath, even if he panned out to what he can be, are an endangered specie in today's NHL.

The skating based league that we see today also existed all the way back to 4.5 years ago in 2010.

It just wasn't a great pick.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I happen to think McIlrath will play in the NHL. And he will do so for a long time.

However, I believe he and Lindberg may be the 'big' pieces the Rangers dangle to help get a couple of other pieces either at this deadline or in the off-season

People aren't sure if he will make the roster, yet he's a bargaining chip for a crucial piece at the trade deadline?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I seem to remember you making a much bigger deal about Enver Lisin, so forgive me if I don't take your player evaluation all too seriously.

lisin was a trade for korpikoski. a guy who hated torts. he was yo-yo'd back and forth to hartford. korp said he had a khl deal waiting if he didn't play. he leveraged the organization and lost. he was gonna bail so we made the pisin deal, who btw, was doing something similar to the yotes. i liked lisin and his wheels. turned out, he didn't have the ability to play in the nhl. i wasn't the only person who felt he had skills. he was taken in the 1st round by phoenix don't forget.

i said we should draft tarasenko. i was right. i liked the lisin deal but lisin was not a nor draft pick.

guess that makes me kinda 1 outa 2. that aint bad.

i wonder who will play more nhl games? lisin or mcilrath.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It really doesn't warrant a shakehead like it's some horrible thing.

i meant no disrespect at all.

i was simply showing disappointment that he's done exactly what i expected him to do. be a stud scorer.

and sadly, mcilrath has done little beyond fighting and recovering from injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad