Dylan McIlrath Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
IMHO this ship has sailed.

If AV had any interest at all in this kid, they would have played him more when Boyle was put. What his worth is on the trade market? Not sure but not expecting much.

A blown pick in my opinion.

Rangers are not going to call up a right side defenseman if there's no hole to fill. The right side is covered and the team is playing well. Doesn't matter how well (or not) McIlrath is playing in Hartford--he's not needed.

Going forward as well is the problem here. Next year most likely the same trio of Girardi, Klein and Boyle should return. McIlrath's window to make it as a Ranger seems to be closing. That being said I wouldn't just dump him. He should be worth something of value from some other NHL team. I'll agree that the ship is at least close to sailing but not ready to say that it's a failed pick. I do think he'll be an NHL player at least for a while--but he's still young and IMO he still needs some development--at least to play on a good team.

*Bob Richards*

Has he hit a plateau or something on the pack? Legitimate question as I never get to watch their games.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Rangers are not going to call up a right side defenseman if there's no hole to fill. The right side is covered and the team is playing well. Doesn't matter how well (or not) McIlrath is playing in Hartford--he's not needed.

Going forward as well is the problem here. Next year most likely the same trio of Girardi, Klein and Boyle should return. McIlrath's window to make it as a Ranger seems to be closing. That being said I wouldn't just dump him. He should be worth something of value from some other NHL team. I'll agree that the ship is at least close to sailing but not ready to say that it's a failed pick. I do think he'll be an NHL player at least for a while--but he's still young and IMO he still needs some development--at least to play on a good team.

His window is closing?? he's what 21 or 22, still young and i think he could become our next Sauer... Just needs some time, stay healthy and earn that opportunity. he will get a full time shot 16-17season after boyle is gone.. he's not worth much, no reason to move on from him

NYRangerFan*

I have a few NYR names for you Snowblind.

Dan Fritsche
Christian Backman
Andre Deveaux
Patrick Rismiller

Talk about useless players like Purinton lol

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
if freaking Dale Purinton can make the NHL, McIlrath better make the NHL.

Different era. Purinton wouldn't sniff an NHL roster today.

He was 29 when the lockout ended, and couldn't make it then.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Different era. Purinton wouldn't sniff an NHL roster today.

He was 29 when the lockout ended, and couldn't make it then.

I remember on the Rangers' official board there was a guy that was like Purinton's biggest fan. He wasn't even a good player then. It amazes me how much people like toughness that they like completely terrible players just because they can throw a punch or a hit once in a while.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
I remember on the Rangers' official board there was a guy that was like Purinton's biggest fan. He wasn't even a good player then. It amazes me how much people like toughness that they like completely terrible players just because they can throw a punch or a hit once in a while.

Ar least he wasn't lazy, overpaid SOB like some of our UFAs back then.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
AV and Sather see eye to eye on how the tempo of the game should be played. All around the league, teams are getting smaller and quicker.

Gaudreau, Kessel, Johnson, MSL, Hudler, MZA...even Gomez and Ribiero are flourishing again.

McIlrath isn't slow. He's indecisive. He doesn't know how to pick his spots. I've watched more HFD games this year than before, and I'm shocked at how he's regressed.

He's figgity with the puck. He never pinches because he's scared. And every time he struggles in a game, he fights or takes dumb penalties to try and make up for it with physicality.

He turned the puck over in a loss right before Xmas. An easy play. He literally passed it to the other team that led to a goal. The other night he took a stupid xcheck penalty on the PK that led to a goal.

He's having a terrible year. Anybody trying to say otherwise has some weird agenda. His confidence looks shot. I defended the pick for four years but there's no way I can justify keeping him for the 10pct chance he becomes Mike Sauer.

Being a RHD doesn't guarantee anything. Lots of teams had LHD playing the right side. Good teams. The Bourque Bruins. Lemaire's Devils. If Girardi or Boyle of Klein get hurt, they have two better options with Moore and Allen over McIlrath, and next year add two more in Skjei and Graves.

He's basically Cam Barker. You only keep him around because he was a high pick. But the results aren't there.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
We thought Del Zotto and Sanguinetti would pan out did we not? We had Sauer too. Thats what i meant. I doubt anybody expected to have the defense we have now with Klein, Boyle and Hunwick. Just funny how we were supposed to be set at PMD with Del Zotto and it completely failed

I don't mean to keep harping on you but I don't understand what a PMD or the lack thereof has to do with McIlrath and Y we shouldn't have selected him. He's not a PMD. Never was supposed to be.

My point was we were set at D for the foreseeable future, especially stay at home types and DESPERATELY needed offense. We had a chance at #10 to go out and get something that would help the team. We didn't.

The fact that Del Z, Sangs and Sauer didn't turn out the way we wanted is irrelevant. Del Z turned into Klein... do you have any issue with that? I sure don't. Would it be better if Del Z realized his potential and was our PMD and PP QB? Of course. That would mean Boyle isn't here. Would it be better if Sauer hadn't sustained a career ending concussion? OF COURSE. Just as it would have been better if we selected Tarasenko instead of McIlrath.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Gordie Clark has generally done a good job so it's baffling that he could drop the ball so badly with this pick.

Might have been a Sather mandate to draft for size/toughness.

Considering they guys they wanted were gone, it was going to be McIlrath or Forbort.

Gormley and Fowler were considered redundant since they already had McDonagh, MDZ, Gilroy and Sanguinett who was later traded.

They didn't need Campbell, and they must have been turned off by the size of a guy like Schwartz. And we all know the KHL threat with Tarasenko.

In all seriousness, Rangers fans need to close their eyes and make believe they drafted Hayes 10th overall in 2010, and that he wanted four years of college.

Because drafting a guy like Tarasenko or Schwartz means somebody in the current top-6 is not a Ranger. Take your pick who you'd remove.

If they draft Fowler, he could have blocked MDZ, meaning a Klein trade likely doesn't happen.

But yeah. They botched the pick. In retrospect, should have traded down.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
His window is closing?? he's what 21 or 22, still young and i think he could become our next Sauer... Just needs some time, stay healthy and earn that opportunity. he will get a full time shot 16-17season after boyle is gone.. he's not worth much, no reason to move on from him

22 with be 23 in April, will have 4 pro season to his credit which effects his waiver eligibility.

They really don't have that time between now and when Boyle is gone. He is waiver eligible next season they need to make a choice at that point, keep him on the NHL roster, with his cap hit, taking up a roster spot, or they will have to waive him and hope he clears, which he might but that is not a given.

Does not mean they need to just throw him away, they can wait and hope he turns the corner and can play spot duty or more on their NHL roster next year. Sometimes a summer helps (Brain Boyle)

Or they can try to pass him through waivers if he can not work on the NHL roster, any team picking him up would be in the same spot, play him on their NHL roster or eventually waive him if he does not work out for them.

Or they can look to maybe move him at some point prior, this deadline, the draft, etc if they feel he's not going to make it with the Rangers and also feel he adds something of value to another team where that other team would return something of value.

If he adds no value towards a trade, I agree they might as well keep him and hope. If he does add value towards a trade, the choice is more difficult.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Rangers are very good. They have been very good for a while now.

I have a hard time thinking drafting Tarasenko or Fowler makes them even better because you would have to subtract a guy who was part of a 50-win team, a CF and a SCF.

Fowler and Tarasenko have yet to reach a CF. And their respective teams are stacked.

Trading McIlrath should be the way to go. Send him to Boston. Send him to Winnipeg. Send him to Edmonton. Send him to Carolina.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

I have a hard time thinking drafting Tarasenko or Fowler makes them even better because you would have to subtract a guy who was part of a 50-win team, a CF and a SCF.

Fowler and Tarasenko have yet to reach a CF. And their respective teams are stacked.

Trading McIlrath should be the way to go. Send him to Boston. Send him to Winnipeg. Send him to Edmonton. Send him to Carolina.

And get what or whom in return? Honest question trying to guage what he'd be worth compared to their respective prospect pools.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Gordie Clark has generally done a good job so it's baffling that he could drop the ball so badly with this pick.

It only baffles people who don't remember how badly he missed with many guys who were similar players to MCI in the past - Rupp, Mezei, Pyatt, Kudroc, etc. When he falls in love with size, its all about size, Gordies biggest flaw.

An asset is an asset. We could have traded pieces to upgrade, valuable assets are rarely wasted and Sather has been a good trader for the most part.

MCI will never become Mike Sauer, he has the body but not the brain. I've never seen him think the game like Sauer did in Jrs or in Pros. Adam McQuaid is still his upside.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
It only baffles people who don't remember how badly he missed with many guys who were similar players to MCI in the past - Rupp, Mezei, Pyatt, Kudroc, etc. When he falls in love with size, its all about size, Gordies biggest flaw.

An asset is an asset. We could have traded pieces to upgrade, valuable assets are rarely wasted and Sather has been a good trader for the most part.

MCI will never become Mike Sauer, he has the body but not the brain. I've never seen him think the game like Sauer did in Jrs or in Pros. Adam McQuaid is still his upside.

True but which asset would you trade?

I wouldn't mess with fate. Fate got this franchise to two CF, and a full 2013 season possibly a third.

There's no guarantee that drafting a Fowler or Tarasenko would have resulted in better results.

The pick sucked. The issue I have is not trading it sooner. He should have been moved after Boyle was signed.

Now, his value is plummeting. He sucks in the AHL, every GM saw the tarasenko goal (albeit not entirely his fault) and front offices saw guys like Kostka, Hunwick and Allen promoted ahead of a 10th overall pick from five years ago.

I'm patient enough to wait until the deadline. If he's not moved after that then I can only chalk his stability in this organization to Sather's hubris.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
My point is you acquire assets and figure out the rest later. Teams would have been lining up to trade for a Tarasenko or Fowler last year/right now if they were 'in the way' of lineups that were ultimately unsuccessful. At the very least they could get us back a first rounder that we lost two seasons in a row.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Has he hit a plateau or something on the pack? Legitimate question as I never get to watch their games.

He hasn't regressed, but he's not doing two things that he needs to. One is to stay disciplined, which you know isn't happening. The other is that he isn't moving pucks quickly.

Lots of chipping and chasing. Which is fine here and there, but it doesn't create scoring chances off the rush.

The other thing I see it's that he has a problem covering for his partner's poor positioning. That size and reach advantage hasn't made up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad