Dylan McIlrath Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
If the Rangers believe in him, then next year he'll be a 7th D since he has to go through waivers. Discipline has been an issue for him this year.

Much more consistent this year than last, but he has moments where he goes out of his way to prove his toughness and takes bad penalties.

The other issue is just how quickly he moves the puck. Off the boards yeah, he's got that down. But that transition game? It's got to become more crisper.

Really? Hate to hear that, never a good sign for a kid trying to crack the lineup

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I don't think he's ever going to make the team.

Unless he's traded between now and the beginning of next season, I think he'll be on the NHL roster, at least as the 7th D, as he's subject to waivers.

I can't see the organization losing the kid for nothing before seeing what he can really do with some NHL practices/training, with a few games sprinkled in.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If he requires waivers to play in the AHL next year, they are going to have to make a choice at that point.

Would be difficult to carry him, his cap hit, and his roster spot on the NHL roster if he can not be somewhat adequate in that role.

I'd probably be looking to add him to some sort of package to try to facilitate a trade this year, but I do not get to see him play game in and game out so it's tough for me to really know what his deal is.

I'm going to guess they wait and see unless he is like the missing assets asked for in order to make some sort of move.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If he requires waivers to play in the AHL next year, they are going to have to make a choice at that point.

Would be difficult to carry him, his cap hit, and his roster spot on the NHL roster if he can not be somewhat adequate in that role.

I'd probably be looking to add him to some sort of package to try to facilitate a trade this year, but I do not get to see him play game in and game out so it's tough for me to really know what his deal is.

I'm going to guess they wait and see unless he is like the missing assets asked for in order to make some sort of move.

Kevin Klein was brought up in the same way--7th dman for Nashville until he earned his time...

It's too soon to say whether or not that works or doesn't work at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

If they decide he's inadequate in the 7th dman role then he gets traded for a 2nd/3rd pick...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Still too early to write him off as a prospect. Especially when you consider the time lost to injury. However, with Klein and Girardi locked up for the foreseeable future -- both of whom provide a shutdown presence on the blue line -- it might spell the end for McIlrath in the organization. Boyle obviously only has one more year beyond this one, but the Rangers will likely need a puck mover to slot in somewhere once he leaves.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him moved near the deadline, but more likely he gets dealt at the draft. Maybe a team with a late 1st really likes him and the Rangers try to package him with one of their 2nd's to move up.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
He will go down as the most talked about player in hf to not play more than 20 NHL games in his career. Was a wasted pick.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Still too early to write him off as a prospect. Especially when you consider the time lost to injury. However, with Klein and Girardi locked up for the foreseeable future -- both of whom provide a shutdown presence on the blue line -- it might spell the end for McIlrath in the organization. Boyle obviously only has one more year beyond this one, but the Rangers will likely need a puck mover to slot in somewhere once he leaves.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him moved near the deadline, but more likely he gets dealt at the draft. Maybe a team with a late 1st really likes him and the Rangers try to package him with one of their 2nd's to move up.

Y? What could they possibly see in him at this point?

If we sell, I just don't see what we get back of any real value, at this point anyway.

I mean if the shoe were on the other foot and Sather went out and traded for this guy, what would you be OK giving up for him?

I know I wouldn't be ok with anything other than like a 4th/5th

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

If we sell, I just don't see what we get back of any real value, at this point anyway.

I mean if the shoe were on the other foot and Sather went out and traded for this guy, what would you be OK giving up for him?

Brian Boyle returned a 3rd rounder. He was what? 24?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

They'll see potential. The same as most GM's will see in a prospect when they trade for him. As a stand alone piece, he likely doesn't have a ton of value, but I see no reason he couldn't be a sweetener to move up in the 2nd round. Especially given how forward heavy this draft is.

The Rangers would move him because he's a redundant piece. So why would I speculate about what I'd give up for him? My opinion would be drastically different if we were a team who needed a player like him badly.

I don't know what his value is around the league, but I know there are an awful lot of people ******** on him for no other reason than they enjoy doing it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Kevin Klein was brought up in the same way--7th dman for Nashville until he earned his time...

It's too soon to say whether or not that works or doesn't work at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

If they decide he's inadequate in the 7th dman role then he gets traded for a 2nd/3rd pick...

While Im still not ready to call McIlrath a bust, its approaching the time where the organization needs to figure out what they're going to do with him. I doubt theres going to be a team willing to cough up a 2nd/3rd round pick in a year or two for an "inadequate 7th dman"

At least if you trade him within the next 6 months, theres still some type of intrigue around the league that could net a positive return.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

I like that draft trade scenario. Buffalo has two late firsts as of now.

If the return is right MCI's chip should be in play this year. Lots of teams trending downward right now, gonna be a very interesting trade deadline. Toronto is in but they won't outlast the teams that are surging, Blue Jackets for one. Detroit has actually been bad in close games when it comes to points, that's not good since most games will be close down the stretch. I think plenty of teams will be active being its going to be a dogfight down to the wire with more than just the usual few teams.

The mediocre teams over the last few years have gotten better while the teams we usually see at the top are coming back down to earth. I wonder if Winnipeg will be sellers if they're in the same position two months from now? Big Buff might be in play, Boston maybe? Would Slats try to beat them out of Buff with a dangle of a Manitoba boy ?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
They'll see potential. The same as most GM's will see in a prospect when they trade for him. As a stand alone piece, he likely doesn't have a ton of value, but I see no reason he couldn't be a sweetener to move up in the 2nd round. Especially given how forward heavy this draft is.

The Rangers would move him because he's a redundant piece. So why would I speculate about what I'd give up for him? My opinion would be drastically different if we were a team who needed a player like him badly.

I don't know what his value is around the league, but I know there are an awful lot of people ******** on him for no other reason than they enjoy doing it.

It was really a hypothetical... I fully realize he's redundant on our roster/system. I just meant that, to me at least... at this point... he holds no real value beyond a 4th/5th rd. pick. Meaning as a sweetener as well. I'd keep him and see what happens. His value is at an all time low.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

It was really a hypothetical... I fully realize he's redundant on our roster/system. I just meant that, to me at least... at this point... he holds no real value beyond a 4th/5th rd. pick. Meaning as a sweetener as well. I'd keep him and see what happens. His value is at an all time low.

I don't think so. It could be spun a few ways. The injury, the inexperience of the Pack blueliners he plays with, key players already on the big club/right side. If he's dealt they will undoubtedly say the words ' a change of scenery'.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

I might be misunderstanding your post, but how is McIlrath, or at least the "concept" of McIlrath, redundant in the Rangers system? Are you saying he's redundant because he's just a tweener defenseman, or are you saying that there is another player with his size/physicality combination in the system?

My concern is, and always has been, that players like him are no longer "needed" by anyone. This league is simply too fast for players lacking in mobility to succeed. I suppose that there will always be teams/coaches trying to buck the trend (i.e, Torts), but unless there are more rule changes I see a future in which these guys have been completely phased out. We're almost there now.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I refuse to write a guy off who was a project from the time he was drafted and has improved at every level.

Give the guy a chance.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I might be misunderstanding your post, but how is McIlrath, or at least the "concept" of McIlrath, redundant in the Rangers system? Are you saying he's redundant because he's just a tweener defenseman, or are you saying that there is another player with his size/physicality combination in the system?

My concern is, and always has been, that players like him are no longer "needed" by anyone. This league is simply too fast for players lacking in mobility to succeed. I suppose that there will always be teams/coaches trying to buck the trend (i.e, Torts), but unless there are more rule changes I see a future in which these guys have been completely phased out. We're almost there now.

I think your 2nd paragraph explains the scenario quite nicely. In 2010, a player like McIlrath was a perceived need. Remember that was the season Carcillo manhandled Gaborik and Girardi did nothing. Im not saying that moment cemented the drafting of McIlrath, but it sure did help.

Slats and company were fully dedicated to Torts in the summer of 2010, so a big tough defenseman seemed like a good fit. Trouble is, the league was in the midst of changing and continues to change. Its a skating league now, first and foremost. If you can't keep up, you can't play in the league. Defensemen like McIlrath, even if he panned out to what he can be, are an endangered specie in today's NHL.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I happen to think McIlrath will play in the NHL. And he will do so for a long time.

However, I believe he and Lindberg may be the 'big' pieces the Rangers dangle to help get a couple of other pieces either at this deadline or in the off-season

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

They are needed, they are just EXTREMELY hard to find. I think people see less and less of them and assume they are not wanted/needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad