Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I'm hoping we see his offense grow into the 40-45 points range

I think around 12G 18A this year. We will not be scoring many goals this season.

And that will be a good stat line for this team. On a playoff team he could absolutely get 45 points if he was top6 and PP line.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think around 12G 18A this year. We will not be scoring many goals this season.

And that will be a good stat line for this team. On a playoff team he could absolutely get 45 points if he was top6 and PP line.
On a good team, would he be top 6 with PP time?

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I think he gets more…but it depends on his line mates abd how the PP is.
I’d be pleasantly surprised with something like 20/25.

15/20ish and a strong all around game is basically the lower totals that I’d consider to be reasonable, given that this team is probably not going to be a high scoring team.

Last edited:
Reactions: dasaybz

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Dylan Cozens embracing role as top-six center and a face of the Sabres

He doesn’t have a lot of games and he has extremely high expectations. So that normally can complicate things, and he’s an emotional guy," Granato said. "With Dylan, I think, staying in the moment, not getting too far ahead of himself, because his appetite is huge.

I sure hope they plan to add more to win next year. Sounds like Cozens won't be too patient with losing. The opportunity this year will be exciting for him. But will get burnt out if it goes more seasons.

Start with getting 2 competent goaltenders next season and another top flight D (Power!)

And don't give this kid a letter yet. He doesn't need that added pressure yet.

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I have low expectations for him as a top-6 center, especially with our talent-deprived and youthful roster. Would be OK if his point totals are low as I dont think thats...the point...of this season and his season.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I want to see him seize a leadership role more than I want to see points. A dogged, "never say die" style of play and leadership. The points will come.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I want to see him seize a leadership role more than I want to see points. A dogged, "never say die" style of play and leadership. The points will come.

Defensively responsible, fiery but smart, and progress. Goals and points will be fun but should not be the sole measure of any of our prospects success.

Reactions: joshjull

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Defensively responsible, fiery but smart, and progress. Goals and points will be fun but should not be the sole measure of any of our prospects success.

His overall aura and attitude will be positively infectious in the room. He believes in himself and seemingly works very hard to improve his game. Hopefully that rubs off on the other younger players.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I try not to predict goal/assist numbers because a lot of it depends on how he has used. You want a 35-5 Jeff Skinner or a 20-20 Anze Kopitar haha.. I just want him Cozens develop well, and the more goals the more points the better even if there are up seasons and down seasons along the way. He's still so young

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
As someone who desperately wanted Trevor Zegras in this draft, the more I watch the kid, the more I like him. I think he has such a good head on his shoulders and wants to be a leader and be part of the solution. I want him to have a good year developing both skill wise and leadership wise. If he got 35-45 points, that would be a bonus, but I know that will be tough especially because everyone knows that he and Mitts will be our top centers and play their best against them.

I still remember drafting Mitts and hopefully someday he can be our Briere. But I definitely like Cozens more and more every day. Maybe he can be our Drury (without the NYR GM part of it).

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
As someone who desperately wanted Trevor Zegras in this draft, the more I watch the kid, the more I like him. I think he has such a good head on his shoulders and wants to be a leader and be part of the solution. I want him to have a good year developing both skill wise and leadership wise. If he got 35-45 points, that would be a bonus, but I know that will be tough especially because everyone knows that he and Mitts will be our top centers and play their best against them.

I still remember drafting Mitts and hopefully someday he can be our Briere. But I definitely like Cozens more and more every day. Maybe he can be our Drury (without the NYR GM part of it).
Cozens will have 50 points this year.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Is there potential that he has a Zemgus arc? I personally can’t completely see It but there’s some similarities in their game at age 20, physicality, 200ft defensive game, and offensive instincts. Cozens clearly has a higher pedigree in terms of offense but until he puts It together in the NHL I’m not sold he’s going to be a top forward on our roster.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The mistake the Sabres make over and over with first round picks is they put them in the NHL right away and give them so much latitude they don't learn how to play the game the right way. They start off well and then when the coaching staff demands they play fundamentally sound hockey, their game hits the skids.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
The mistake the Sabres make over and over with first round picks is they put them in the NHL right away and give them so much latitude they don't learn how to play the game the right way. They start off well and then when the coaching staff demands they play fundamentally sound hockey, their game hits the skids.
Well said. Sabres once again not insulating their young players with a veteran center. We needed a 2C for years behind Jack and now without Jack we are pushing Casey and Cozens into 1C, 2C. There needs be a veteran C who takes the difficult assignments while still not taking opportunities away from the kids. I know the Sabres want fast players for the system, one of the reason's Reinhart was traded. Sam doesn't play the way they want, but finding a fast veteran 2C in an Eichel trade should be a focus just as much as a center prospect.

Reactions: elchud

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Well said. Sabres once again not insulating their young players with a veteran center. We needed a 2C for years behind Jack and now without Jack we are pushing Casey and Cozens into 1C, 2C. There needs be a veteran C who takes the difficult assignments while still not taking opportunities away from the kids. I know the Sabres want fast players for the system, one of the reason's Reinhart was traded. Sam doesn't play the way they want, but finding a fast veteran 2C in an Eichel trade should be a focus just as much as a center prospect.
So much. Bringing in a Danault or Pageau would do wonders for development.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad