Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Would rather Eakin play 18 minutes a night at C and Cozens 18 minutes a night at RW.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Would rather Eakin play 18 minutes a night at C and Cozens 18 minutes a night at RW.

tenor.gif

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Is there potential that he has a Zemgus arc? I personally can’t completely see It but there’s some similarities in their game at age 20, physicality, 200ft defensive game, and offensive instincts. Cozens clearly has a higher pedigree in terms of offense but until he puts It together in the NHL I’m not sold he’s going to be a top forward on our roster.

There is not a lot in common between Girgs and Cozens from their draft years through to their D+2 seasons.

Girgs is the poster child for rushing a prospect. Cozens has taken a fairly normal track of development even factoring in the Covid craziness.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Is there potential that he has a Zemgus arc? I personally can’t completely see It but there’s some similarities in their game at age 20, physicality, 200ft defensive game, and offensive instincts. Cozens clearly has a higher pedigree in terms of offense but until he puts It together in the NHL I’m not sold he’s going to be a top forward on our roster.
I'm similar. I love the guy. I'm very concerned that he'll also be in a completely overmatched C role similar to Girgensens when he came into the league. He's a sure fire NHLer, but I'm not sure He's definitely a Top 6 guy.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
I really think we need to switch him back to RW until he gets more adjusted to the NHL level. He looked dangerous as a RW last year and then his offensive game was kind of stifled once he moved over to C towards the end of the season.

Reactions: elchud

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I really think we need to switch him back to RW until he gets more adjusted to the NHL level. He looked dangerous as a RW last year and then his offensive game was kind of stifled once he moved over to C towards the end of the season.
Fair point. But our centre depth even with Casey in the lineup is subpar in my opinion

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I thought has very good centering Bjork/Caggiula in the first game. Second game he didn’t look as good between Skinner/Olofsson even though the line played well.

I think the more straight line/direct game of Bjork/Caggiula works better with him. Plus he carried the puck more with them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The line doesn't work that well. Vinny has been allergic to shooting even when open until yesterday, and Skinner has been Skinner. Cozens has his hiccups but overall has been fine. I think he'd be more productive between Girgensons and Okposo

Cozens has been the only thing that has worked on that line many nights. I'm curious what a look with Peterka and Quinn on his flanks would be like later in the season.

That said, he's had a couple of games where he has been very much their best player and has had a few games where he is just a smidge out of sync with his linemates. Hinostroza as you said has suddenly become allergic to shooting and Skinner is... well... Skinner.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Cozens has been the only thing that has worked on that line many nights. I'm curious what a look with Peterka and Quinn on his flanks would be like later in the season.

That said, he's had a couple of games where he has been very much their best player and has had a few games where he is just a smidge out of sync with his linemates. Hinostroza as you said has suddenly become allergic to shooting and Skinner is... well... Skinner.
jj - cozens - quinn

sounds like a future first line to me

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'd only move him to wing if had a streak of bad games at center. The fact is he's played well in some games. Development isn't linear. As long as he's having some good games, he's learning and developing. I hate to throw this name out in light of recent events, but Steve Stamkos looked like a bust in the first half of his rookie year. He was so lost that his coach Barry Melrose wanted to send him back to juniors. They wisely fired Melrose and Stamkos tore up the league in the 2nd half.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I think Cozens eventually settles at RW, especially if Adams lands Krebs. WJC Cozens was a RW

I watched most of Canada, and he played like a center in the tournament. That is news to me he was a RW.

I just don't see Cozens as a winger. I think he has a lot of similar limitations that Thompson has. Thompsons strengths work best at center, and feel the same way with Cozens.

I feel like Cozens needs to get faster, or stronger. Like his play speed and hands are fine, if he was much stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad