Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Hey everyone,

Today we have a look at Dylan Cozens' NHL debut in blue and gold. Look for Buffalo's #24.

Reactions: Paxon

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
upload_2021-3-25_10-4-43.png

Seriously, they need to hire a real coach before they ruin my northwest Canadian son

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
The real deal. What a breath of fresh air in a season as bad as this. Excited to see what he's going to become over the next 5 years.

Reminds us what a real hockey player looks like(besides Eichel) and how we have so very few of them around.

Reactions: joshjull

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
He's very close to being our best all around forward, and has the physical tools and IQ to pull off consistent elite plays. He truly seems like he has Selke potential when I watch him. The points aren't there per se, but I already find myself trusting him more than just about anyone else on the team. You can see that the points will come when this roster gets straightened out and a real coach is hired and system implemented.

I truly think he and Eichel is a great one two punch at Center moving forward. The team needs to find the right type of wings for these guys and build a strong Bottom 6, not asswipes like Cody f'n Eakin. I get the sense that Cozens and Reinhart could complement one another very well.

Maybe it's time for a top 6 shell of...

Skinner Eichel X
X Cozens Reinhart

They still need to find effective complements to those lines. I'm sorry, but Taylor Hall ain't it. You obviously hope that Quinn becomes one of those, but I'm weary at best on that. I feel they need one or two players like Brendan Gallagher for their top 6 badly. Obviously guys like him are rare, but need to find it somehow someway.

They'll then need to find a real bottom 6, that can either help score or drive possession ala LOG. This is where the roster takes a complete nosedive into oblivion. As it stands now:

Mitts X Olofsson
Girgs X Y

Under no circumstances can Cody Eakin or Kyle Okposo return next year. It'd be unacceptable (and totally predictable). They really messed up letting Larsson walk. They could've signed him for two more years and had a solid 4th line no matter what.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Cozens was terrible in his last couple of games of the season. He didn´t score a single goal last 20 games. I don´t see offense there, his decision making isn´t good and if you think he is ready for 2C for the next season then good luck.

In 2019 I was all for Zegras and I said pass on him will be a big, big mistake. Still feel the same dislike. Last year with Quinn exactly the same. When you´re don´t able evaluate prospects then please trade every your high pick rather. At least our clown GM signed Eakin, Irwin or Staal... and said Hutton is OK... simply the worst organization in the league and I feel I´m very close to be done as a Sabres fan. Tough, tough season... this was too much for me.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Cozens was terrible in his last couple of games of the season. He didn´t score a single goal last 20 games. I don´t see offense there, his decision making isn´t good and if you think he is ready for 2C for the next season then good luck.

In 2019 I was all for Zegras and I said pass on him will be a big, big mistake. Still feel the same dislike. Last year with Quinn exactly the same. When you´re don´t able evaluate prospects then please trade every your high pick rather. At least our clown GM signed Eakin, Irwin or Staal... and said Hutton is OK... simply the worst organization in the league and I feel I´m very close to be done as a Sabres fan. Tough, tough season... this was too much for me.

LOL

he had a good season. Just because you didn’t like the pick and want to rant about everything....doesn’t mean you should

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think it was a good season for him, there is a lot to work on, but he definitely showed flashes of great play, and I also like how passionate he plays. We need more of these players. There is no need to rush with its development and give a serious role, but he could play on the wing or 3C in the next season.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
He has a lot to work on in the offseason

Of course, if we had actual depth this year (and weren't a joke of a team), he would have been able to work on this in the AHL this year. He could have been the number 1 center there and been fully ready to be the #2 next year

I see him as a 3rd line wing next year as Eichel and Reinhart have the top 2 center positions locked up, with Mittlestadt likely the number 3

Reactions: elchud

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
I don´t think season like this we should call a good one, I imagine a good season differently. He wasn´t ready. He wasn´t strong on the skates, he was outmuscled often and his offensive ability/hockey IQ was mediocre. Yes I saw some positives, his skating or passion for the game. I project him as 2C/3C for the future and it´s not enough compared to Zegras who has PPG player future written all over him. Right now I have Mittelstadt vibes because after great WJC Cozens simply wasn´t ready and we didn´t expect the same thing again. Imo Mitts did a big step ahead this year and surprised me in a positive way instead of Cozens.

And yes you´re right I didn´t like the pick in 2019. In that moment Zegras was an absolute no-brainer for me and I was in shock for a long time they didn´t pick him. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don´t think season like this we should call a good one, I imagine a good season differently. He wasn´t ready. He wasn´t strong on the skates, he was outmuscled often and his offensive ability/hockey IQ was mediocre. Yes I saw some positives, his skating or passion for the game. I project him as 2C/3C for the future and it´s not enough compared to Zegras who has PPG player future written all over him. Right now I have Mittelstadt vibes because after great WJC Cozens simply wasn´t ready and we didn´t expect the same thing again. Imo Mitts did a big step ahead this year and surprised me in a positive way instead of Cozens.

And yes you´re right I didn´t like the pick in 2019. In that moment Zegras was an absolute no-brainer for me and I was in shock for a long time they didn´t pick him. Remember it like it was yesterday.
Yes, then it will probably be difficult for you to root for this team. Probably Anaheim would be a good choice for you. :sarcasm:

And yes, Zegras was my number one pick in 2019 too, but I can't complain about Cozens, they are different players and Dylan has looked like a stallion in some of his games this season. Even if Zegras is a PPG player, which is entirely possible, I see Cozens may well be a 60-70 points player in the future, but he will add some grit and passion to this lineup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad