Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wheeler: My 2021 world juniors all-star ballot, MVP pick, risers, and fallers

Dylan Cozens (Buffalo Sabres/Team Canada)

Cozens ascended in this event, consistently Canada’s best game-to-game player. As good as he is, that’s almost even more impressive given how much high-end talent was on the Canadian roster. He dominated camp, he dominated round robin, and he dominated the medal round until the gold-medal game. He took good lanes and won his races, he got to the inside with his speed on the puck in transition, and he consistently showcased dangerous offensive zone skills, including an improved shot. It was a tournament for the ages, save the silver medal.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Dylan has a high floor for a prospect and will definitely be an NHL player in some capacity. Zegras just has that superstar potential that Cozens doesn’t have.
Depends on how you define 'superstar'. I don't think Zegras has that type of potential but he is definitely a flashier player than Cozens. Cozens will likely end up being a high end net front presence and 200ft guy that doesn't get all the credit he deserves. So what if he doesn't make cool moves with the puck on a regular basis? It's about the most vain way to evaluate a prospect.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Depends on how you define 'superstar'. I don't think Zegras has that type of potential but he is definitely a flashier player than Cozens. Cozens will likely end up being a high end net front presence and 200ft guy that doesn't get all the credit he deserves. So what if he doesn't make cool moves with the puck on a regular basis? It's about the most vain way to evaluate a prospect.
So we got the Brendan Shanahan this time instead of Pierre Turgeon. It'll work out.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Controversial decision
Re: Cozens and Quinn?

Is this their first practice? When did they arrive in BUF? We have no idea what induction / on-boarding / testing / paperwork, logistics, etc., they needed to go through prior to first practice. All the other Sabres didn't take the ice their first day. For all we know, Friday group 2 is working them in ahead of schedule relative to the original reporting players.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ranking NHL's best under-23 stars: Dahlin, Pettersson or Lafreniere at No. 1?

Tier 4: Bubble of NHL all-star and top of lineup player
18. Dylan Cozens, C, Buffalo

Feb. 9, 2001 | 6-foot-3 | 185 pounds

Previous ranking: No. 26

Skating: Above-average
Puck Skills: Below-average
Hockey Sense: Average
Compete: Average
Shot: Above-average

The remainder of that tier:

16. Kirby Dach, C, Chicago
17. Pierre-Luc Dubois, C, Columbus
19. Robert Thomas, C, St. Louis
20. Nico Hischier, C, New Jersey
21. Mikhail Sergachev, D, Tampa Bay
22. Barrett Hayton, C, Arizona
23. Connor McMichael, C, Washington

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ranking the top 20 Calder Trophy candidates for the 2021 NHL season

6. Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 19 (Buffalo Sabres — 7th overall, 2019)

It’s wise not to read into a world juniors performance too much, but Cozens delivered a clear message: I’m ready. Now it sounds like he’ll get an opportunity to play in the top-nine and on the second power-play unit as a first-year player. There are a small number of rookies who get that kind of opportunity and he’s got enough skill to capitalize and be a contributor from the start. I don’t think his skill set is so high-end that he’s going to become a star player right away, but it’s definitely not hard to imagine him making an impact and being a nice addition to their forward group at right-wing, which should also help him use his speed off the puck and soften some of his defensive responsibilities.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I was fine with the pick last year, and overall I'm still fine with it. Zegras looks like a dynamite prospect as well and while I preferred him overall, Cozens looks like a solid addition to this team.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
But if it did end up being only 24 games the nhl might be better.

Usually playing > not playing, but I think a full season practicing with nhl caliber players would outweigh playing 25 games in a much less competitive setting

But with the condensed season and games on average almost every other night, how much real practice will there be?

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I’m good with him playing at the level he’s ready for

Not sure he’s ready for NHL until we get to see him in action, but I don’t think there’s any benefit to having him dominate smaller kids in the WHL at this point.

Even on the taxi squad he will get some NHL games in, along with training and practices with NHL players.

This could be the ideal season to ease him into the NHL, IMO.

Reactions: Team Cozens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad