Prospect Info: Dylan Cozens, C/RW, 2019 7th overall, Lethbridge (WHL) --- Signed to ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Not on the bench to start the third.

He’s been fantastic in these two games, hope he’s okay.
His game has been really complete and he looks every bit the part of a returnee that is ready to take a big role.

I think the most noticeable area of improvement he’s displayed during this camp has been his stick handling, particularly in tight spaces and under pressure.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
How Dylan Cozens used the terrain around Whitehorse to prep for Sabres camp

He's bigger, stronger, and faster.

This offseason, Cozens spent two-and-a-half hours, five days a week, working in and out of McPherson’s gym. Cozens improved his squat from 340 to 470 pounds. Stunned by the feat, McPherson had Cozens switch to single-leg squats and more hockey-specific work to turn the improved strength into power and speed on the ice. Cozens’ regimen from March through mid-July – which included outdoor workouts that drew the attention of locals – led to improved strength and filled out his 6-foot-3 frame to reach 200 pounds with one goal in mind: withstanding the physical demands of a long season in Buffalo.

Whitehorse is doing its part to support the Pegula family lifestyle.

“The most commonly sold jersey in the local sports store in Whitehorse is a Buffalo Sabres jersey by a mile,” said Ben McPherson, Cozens’ strength coach the past six years and owner of Northern Strength Academy, a private gym in Whitehorse. “It’s kind of funny. I remember coming home from Vancouver after the draft and within a week the place was just littered with Sabres everywhere, so it’s kind of cool. He’s definitely a celebrity here.”

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
How Dylan Cozens used the terrain around Whitehorse to prep for Sabres camp

He's bigger, stronger, and faster.

This offseason, Cozens spent two-and-a-half hours, five days a week, working in and out of McPherson’s gym. Cozens improved his squat from 340 to 470 pounds. Stunned by the feat, McPherson had Cozens switch to single-leg squats and more hockey-specific work to turn the improved strength into power and speed on the ice. Cozens’ regimen from March through mid-July – which included outdoor workouts that drew the attention of locals – led to improved strength and filled out his 6-foot-3 frame to reach 200 pounds with one goal in mind: withstanding the physical demands of a long season in Buffalo.

Whitehorse is doing its part to support the Pegula family lifestyle.

“The most commonly sold jersey in the local sports store in Whitehorse is a Buffalo Sabres jersey by a mile,” said Ben McPherson, Cozens’ strength coach the past six years and owner of Northern Strength Academy, a private gym in Whitehorse. “It’s kind of funny. I remember coming home from Vancouver after the draft and within a week the place was just littered with Sabres everywhere, so it’s kind of cool. He’s definitely a celebrity here.”

Really like the sound of this.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I always get worried of players training extra hard in the off-season as, to me, it seems like it adds added stress to ligaments and joints.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I always get worried of players training extra hard in the off-season as, to me, it seems like it adds added stress to ligaments and joints.
They should be putting the same emphasis on being flexible and durable as they do on power and size. The guys that seem to play forever and avoid serious injuries do a lot of stretching exercises. Lorenzo Alexander and James Patrick added years to their careers by doing stretching exercises and maintaining their flexibility. I hope that's something Eichel is focusing on.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
They should be putting the same emphasis on being flexible and durable as they do on power and size. The guys that seem to play forever and avoid serious injuries do a lot of stretching exercises. Lorenzo Alexander and James Patrick added years to their careers by doing stretching exercises and maintaining their flexibility. I hope that's something Eichel is focusing on.
I hope so too. That seems like a wise choice. I was reading the one leg squats part and shuttered at the thought of the stress on the knee

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I hope so too. That seems like a wise choice. I was reading the one leg squats part and shuttered at the thought of the stress on the knee
I would imagine the reason for one leg squats instead of increasing weight of 2 legged is to cut emphasize stability more than pure strength but that's only a guess

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
470 lbs. is a lot, and I agree that switching to split squats might be the way to go. I know a former NHL'er who trains players in the off season, and he is selling off most of his racks because they are going to split squats and the like.

I will be very interested to see how Cozens looks, but I would caution everyone to be patient in what is bound to be a mess of a season. Next year though...it's go time. His speed and athleticism sticks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad