Movies: Dune by Denis Villeneuve?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I said this exact thing after some article about Foundation was saying the same thing. I knew we’d agree on something eventually!
Never been a problem for me, I only ever watched the first season of GoT because my brother got it on Blu Ray. I don't have HBO so I just never got into the show.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
New Images. Can't wait for this!

empire-october-2020-cover-atreides.jpg

empire-october-2020-cover-fremen.jpg

empire-october-2020-subscriber.jpg

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I was thinking they could have Patrick Stewart play the emperor as a mulligan for the Lynch movie, but everyone loves him too much for him to be a villain.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I have tried to read the first book a couple times, I always find it interesting, but not compelling. I would enjoy it while I was reading it, but never really felt excited to pick it up and I would drift away and read something else.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was thinking the other day that I actually wish that they would delay it. If it underperforms because of or with the help of COVID, it could mean that Part II doesn't get made. I'd rather wait and get two movies than get the first as soon as possible and possibly not get the second. Why not delay it until Summer? After all, there aren't going to be many big movies releasing then at this rate. There will be Top Gun: Maverick, I believe, but what else? I guess that No Time to Die could be delayed again, but signs seem to suggest that it won't be. Releasing Dune in a weak Summer should really help its box office performance as eople who ordinarily wouldn't have gone to see it might go just to see a "big" movie and those who ordinarily would've gone to it only once might go multiple times. I've waited 36 years for a good Dune movie. I can wait another 6 months if it increases the chances of getting an adaptation of the whole book.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I liked the trailer, I didn't love it.

Sometimes less is more. I think they tried to pack a little too much into it. I also really disliked the music.

It's fine though. My faith is not shaken. Still can't wait to see it.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I'll echo the sentiment that I was never the biggest fan of the book, but loved the world that Herbert created. That being said, the trailer looks... straight up amazing.

Halfway through, I was like "... is that Floyd?" Wow.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Trailer is terrible and looks like a generic YA movie.
Have to admit, if I didn't know who the behind-the-screen talent was, this would have been an easy pass for me just based on the trailer.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Have to admit, if I didn't know who the behind-the-screen talent was, this would have been an easy pass for me just based on the trailer.

Hearing WB cut this trailer and not Denis, which makes sense given the end result.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Trailer is terrible and looks like a generic YA movie.
Trailer definitely has a YA fiction vibe to it.

Seeing the success of The Hunger Games they might be trying to market it that way.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Someone posted this in another thread about the Dune trailer. Made me laugh.

That's the funniest thing that I've seen in a while. It explains why my reaction to the trailer was lukewarm, though I couldn't really place my finger on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad