Movies: Dune by Denis Villeneuve?

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
One of my most anticipated adaptations ever. Trailer has me hyped, love the Floud tune and am now re-reading the book at the moment as well.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I didn't mind the trailer. Wasn't a wow, I love this trailer but it was not terrible. Still anticipating seeing it when it hits theaters.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Slowed-down covers of old songs is my #1 pet peeve in movie trailers
Covers that re-do classic material with a modern vibe are just cringy to me.

I also think contemporary lyric music doesn't go well with fantasy films. A fantasy film is supposed to feel like it's from a different time and place. Contemporary music connects it to our world.

Next thing you know they'll be using Beastie Boys in a Star Trek trailer or something.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Covers that re-do classic material with a modern vibe are just cringy to me.

I also think contemporary lyric music doesn't go well with fantasy films. A fantasy film is supposed to feel like it's from a different time and place. Contemporary music connects it to our world.

Next thing you know they'll be using Beastie Boys in a Star Trek trailer or something.

Yeah, it doesn't work at all to me. I feel like lyric music really doesn't work, you're just left thinking of the original song and it becomes so apparent that it's a common gimmick that movie trailers always use. I think this cover of Clair de Lune in the Godzilla trailer created something very powerful though, particularly at 1:10. Again, no lyrics though, just instrumental and not drastically changing the song:

You gotta admit though, that version of "I Got Five on It" from the Us trailer is pretty great.

I'm talking more so about these slow, dreary "epic" covers of like recognizable songs.

I think that Us trailer was a bit different because the trailer was literally all based around that song, the family was listening to it in the car, and then it morphs into the driving force of the trailer.

Reactions: johnjm22

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
If it's as good as the book, it will be the best sci-fi film ever.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that part of the issue is that movie scores are usually one of the last things to be finished, literally in the last months before release, since it needs to be after all of the editing is finished and directors and studios love to tweak the length of films until almost the last minute. Because the people putting the trailers together don't have a score to use, they have to use pre-existing music. Remember, in the 90s, when it seemed like every other trailer used "O Fortuna" or the "Bishop's Countdown" music from Aliens or the Mutara Nebula music from Star Trek II? That doesn't excuse using contemporary music with lyrics in this case, when they could've borrowed some existing orchestral music, but it probably has nothing to do with the actual soundtrack or Villeneuve's ideas for it. I agree that it was a bad choice by the marketing department, though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Movie has been pushed off to October 1, 2021.

That's quite a delay, but I'm glad for it. If the movie isn't a box office success, the second part might not even get made. That would leave us with a movie that's only half of the novel and likely waiting another couple of decades to get a definitive adaptation.

That said, I wonder why they don't just set a release date for the Summer, when people will want to see epic movies. October is not typically a good month for releases (aside from horror movies), especially because young folks are back in school. Maybe they don't think that a movie set in the desert is a good draw during the Summer?

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
That's quite a delay, but I'm glad for it. If the movie isn't a box office success, the second part might not even get made. That would leave us with a movie that's only half of the novel and likely waiting another couple of decades to get a definitive adaptation.

That said, I wonder why they don't just set a release date for the Summer, when people will want to see epic movies. October is not typically a good month for releases (aside from horror movies), especially because young folks are back in school. Maybe they don't think that a movie set in the desert is a good draw during the Summer?

I think all 2021 dates are tentative at this point. Basically, you've pushed all the big 2020 films off by a year onto a release calendar that already had its own.

Plus, it's not like a switch will get flipped and the box office automatically comes back. It may be a slow build.

Movies that come out without a big built in audience already are going to struggle. Heck, we don't know how well the mega franchises will fair right away.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I might be in the vast minority on this one, but I think Dune being released on HBOMax might actually be good news for the franchise.

Dune as a film was never going to be financially successful enough to justify the sequels we want. It was going to be one and done.

AT&T/WB are desperate for content for HBOMax. Now they have a reason to make Dune sequels; it's a loss leader to get subscribers to their streaming service. It's more content to throw on the platform.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Someone posted this in another thread about the Dune trailer. Made me laugh.

I actually like that format. Does a lot to sell a film without exposing what the hell it's about. The beauty of being incredibly generic.

I'm much more annoyed by trailers that try to give away the film's plot, or give a false one altogether.

I love getting stoned(I pretty much only do this to watch movies) and seeing a film I know nothing about.

I watched once upon a time in hollywood with having no clue what it was about. Was shocked at the end.

Watched star trek 12 without knowing it had anything to do with khan.

Last edited:

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
I might be in the vast minority on this one, but I think Dune being released on HBOMax might actually be good news for the franchise.

Dune as a film was never going to be financially successful enough to justify the sequels we want. It was going to be one and done.

AT&T/WB are desperate for content for HBOMax. Now they have a reason to make Dune sequels; it's a loss leader to get subscribers to their streaming service. It's more content to throw on the platform.

Yeah it'd be great if they did "reshoots" that served as an extension to the first film.

Instead of 4 episodes worth of content make it 6.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
dune-posters-002-1276191.jpeg

dune-posters-004-1276193.jpeg

dune-posters-003-1276192.jpeg

dune-posters-001-1276199.jpeg

DUNE_VERT_Beast_Rabban_2764x4096_DOM.jpg

Zendaya-Dune-Poster.jpg

dune-posters-006-1276195.jpeg

dune-posters-005-1276194.jpeg