Movies: Dune by Denis Villeneuve?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Meh

Dune doesn't translate to movie ,, It worked well as Scifi Mini-Series in early 00's

I am fine with that adaption as only viable adaption of Dune (The 80's movie version sucked)

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Haven't they been trying to make a Dune movie for decades?

They re-made it for Sci-fi back in 2000. Never saw it, but from what I understand it was closer to the source material than the the 1984 movie.

That said, I enjoyed the Lynch film.

Dune is one of those series I've been meaning to read forever. Maybe in 2017 I'll finally get to it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
They re-made it for Sci-fi back in 2000. Never saw it, but from what I understand it was closer to the source material than the the 1984 movie.

That said, I enjoyed the Lynch film.

Dune is one of those series I've been meaning to read forever. Maybe in 2017 I'll finally get to it.

The 2nd mini-series Frank Herbert's Children of Dune was also very good (It was adapted from Messiah of Dune and Children of Dune)

Scifi put a lot of effort into those mini-series ,, Sadly that type of care has long since vanished since channel changed to SyFy

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The 2nd mini-series Frank Herbert's Children of Dune was also very good (It was adapted from Messiah of Dune and Children of Dune)

Scifi put a lot of effort into those mini-series ,, Sadly that type of care has long since vanished since channel changed to SyFy

Uh, are you kidding?

(sorry, this is off-topic... very excited about a potential Dune movie)

SyFy has three shows I currently really like. There's kinda two sides to that channel. There's the kitschy stuff, like Haven, Lost Girl and Warehouse 13. Never got into any of them. However, 12 Monkeys, The Expanse, and The Magicians all had very strong starts. Although, I haven't watched any of season 2 of 12 Monkeys yet. Lots of effort and care put into all three of those shows.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dune is probably my favorite novel and was one of my favorite films as a kid... before I re-watched it as a young adult and realized what a mess it actually is. Ever since that realization, I've wondered what a really good Dune film would look like, so this is very exciting.

I really hope that they cast a properly young Paul Atreides this time. Both the original film and the mini-series cast grown men in the role. Paul, if I recall correctly, is about only 14 years old in the first novel. It's kind of important, IMO, since his youth and dependence on his parents early on is necessary to properly convey the suddenness and remarkableness of his independence and transformation (how's that for spoiler-sensitive vagueness?). Basically, you miss the point of the whole novel if you cast an adult, sort of like if you had cast a 25-year-old for Harry Potter and tweaked the story to accommodate it. Hopefully, they get this right. I don't mind if they take liberties with the story to make it more digestible, but an early-teen Paul is my one insistence, or else I won't understand the point of remaking it in the first place. A properly cast Dune with a top sci-fi director behind it, though, is a dream of mine.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
never read the books but as a huge David Lynch fan, I loved Dune, watch it all the time. The remake was ok and I have that on dvd as well. After seeing the documentary on Alejandro Jodorowsky and his attempt to bring Dune to the big screen has made me wish he could have pulled it off as it sounded like it would have been outstanding.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
The novel is staged like a play not a movie. It is dialogue and inner monologue driven with most of the scenes taking place with people standing in a room or sitting around a table. Much of the action takes place off screen also like a play.

To adapt it as a movie properly they would need to make a trilogy out of just the first novel. The book is already divided into 3 acts. In order to make it dynamic enough though, they would need to transfer some of that off screen action on screen.

For instance the first movie would revolve around the war of assassins, in fact that should be the name, Dune: War of Assassins. The basic structure would remain but certain things like Duncan's interactions with Stilgar and the Fremen would need to be shown. This would add action, such as the capture of the krysknife (sp?), and would also allow for more build up of Duncan which is beneficial for his sacrifice (and eventual resurrection). Hawat's machinations to foil assassination plots could also be shown. Gurney with the smugglers as well. Also the raid on the spice stores on Geidi Prime absolutely needs to be shown, with Duncan/Gurney leading it. Inclusion of the Imperial court, and expansion of the role of Irulan (much like the miniseries did) is also important. Movie ends with deaths of Leto/Duncan/Kynes and Paul/Jessica escaping to the desert and meeting the Fremen.

At least if Villenueve/Deakins do the movie it will look gorgeous.

Reactions: Eisen

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
never read the books but as a huge David Lynch fan, I loved Dune, watch it all the time. The remake was ok and I have that on dvd as well. After seeing the documentary on Alejandro Jodorowsky and his attempt to bring Dune to the big screen has made me wish he could have pulled it off as it sounded like it would have been outstanding.

I also love David Lynch, but I never watched Dune. As I recall, he wasn't happy with it and wanted to dissociate from it. I'll have to check it out.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I like Villenueve. I like Dune. But the two together seems like a really odd fit. Not sure why Villenueve would want to throw away his career into the abyss that is trying to adapt Dune to the silver screen, either.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This guy is everywhere.

Studios are thirsty for quality stuff. Just give him his budget and control, he'll probably make a solid movie. The Nolan approach. Not many other directors at that level right now.

If you need to sell tone and atmosphere, he's your guy.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
Never read Dune, but I'd watch Denis Villeneuve direct a movie about a literal sand dune. So there's that.

His worst outing so far is Prisoners IMO, which I think is still a good movie - I know a lot of people love that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->