Movies: Dune by Denis Villeneuve?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Its been longtime since I read books or watched the mini series but wasn't Leto a lot older?

Isaac seems far too young to pass as Leto

Leto was 51. Isaac is about to be 40. Shouldn’t be too hard to match the age. Isaac also matches the written description of Leto extremely well.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Cast Update (official and strong rumours):

Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides
Rebecca Ferguson
as Lady Jessica Atreides
Oscar Isaac
as Duke Leto Atreides
Stellan Skarsgård
as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Zendaya
as Chani
Javier Bardem
as Stilgar
Josh Brolin
as Gurney Halleck
Jason Momoa
as Duncan Idaho
Dave Bautista
as Glossu "Beast" Rabban Harkonnen
Charlotte Rampling
as Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Absences:

Emperor Shaddam IV of House Corrino
Atreides Master of Assassins Thufir Hawat
Doctor Wellington Yueh
Imperial Planetologist Liet-Kynes
Harkonnen Master of Assassins Piter de Vries
Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen
Alia Atreides
(likely won't be in the first film)
Imperial Princess Irulan Corrino
Lord Hasimir Fenring
(may or may not be in the first film)
Lady Margot Fenring (may or may not be in the first film)
Reverend Mother Ramallo of the Fremen (likely won't be in the first film)
Shadout Mapes of the Fremen
Guild Navigator
(might use Edric from Dune Messiah)

Very impressive cast. I think everyone wants in on this Denis Villeneuve film which has incredible potential.

I was worried about the amount of screen-time but apparently he's only adapting a portion of the first book for the first film (YES!).

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Everything about this sounds great. I like Villeneuve a lot and the material is obviously fantastic. The casting looks good too.

That said, I think Dune would be better served as a television show. The limited time of a motion picture makes it hard to do the material justice.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Everything about this sounds great. I like Villeneuve a lot and the material is obviously fantastic. The casting looks good too.

That said, I think Dune would be better served as a television show. The limited time of a motion picture makes it hard to do the material justice.

Supposedly he’s only doing a portion of the first book in his film.

There’s a pretty natural break in the story.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Getting it out by November next year? Wow. How are they going to pull that off? I'm rooting for Villanueve as he's one of the best directors in Hollywood now but that's quite optimistic with the CG, sets, script, etc. unless he's been spending every free second he had during Prisoners/Enemies/Sicario/Arrival doodling sketches or perfecting a script.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Getting it out by November next year? Wow. How are they going to pull that off? I'm rooting for Villanueve as he's one of the best directors in Hollywood now but that's quite optimistic with the CG, sets, script, etc. unless he's been spending every free second he had during Prisoners/Enemies/Sicario/Arrival doodling sketches or perfecting a script.
I don't think you take on Dune unless it's a passion project. He's probably had this in mind for a long time.

Enemy was fantastic.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Villanueve has become a must-see director akin to Quentin Tarantino and Chris Nolan for me, so I'm down for essentially anything with his name attached to it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Now that we have a release date and an almost-complete cast list, perhaps it's time to remove the question mark from the thread title? ;)

I think that it can be done if it's done smartly and sticks to the actual book. One of the issues with the 1984 movie is that it wasted precious screen time on things that weren't in the book, like that slug in the tank, and the recent Hobbit trilogy really went off of the rails by being mostly stuff that wasn't in the book. Movie makers need to realize that it's not their job to try to improve the stories, which are classics for a reason. I think that it's acceptable to cut here and there, like the Tom Bombadil episode in Fellowship of the Ring, but that should be done only to improve the attention given to the rest of the story, not to make room for episodes and scenes that don't belong, IMO.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't think you take on Dune unless it's a passion project. He's probably had this in mind for a long time.

Enemy was fantastic.

I totally get that it's just only a year and a half to get at least one movie filmed with only like half a cast announced, CG, editing, post prod ,scoring...it seems nearly impossible.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dune started filming today in Budapest, Hungary.

When I think of scorching heat and sand dunes as far as the eye can see, I think of Budapest, Hungary. I'm kidding. They're probably filming indoor and CGI shots.

Hans Zimmer will score the movie.

Nice. I really like Zimmer's soundtracks and feel that his sound suits Dune well. It's also a relief that Dune is getting a conventional composer this time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
More casting news:

dune2.jpg

Christian Bale Gains 450,000 Pounds to Play Sandworm in ‘Dune’ Remake

Bale’s extreme commitment to the role was first seen in the Tunisian desert as the now bulbous, whale-sized Academy Award winner was airlifted to set.

“People like to call me a method actor, but I’m just a guy doing a job,” said Bale while swallowing entire chickens whole so he could reach his 480-million-calorie goal for the day. “During pre-production, Denis [Villeneuve] and I were both in agreement — the only way to accurately portray this nuanced character was to increase my body weight by over 249,000 percent."

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nice. I really like Zimmer's soundtracks and feel that his sound suits Dune well. It's also a relief that Dune is getting a conventional composer this time.

I actually liked the Toto soundtrack but I'm weird I guess.

I would have liked if they had snuck this in:

I do like Hans Zimmer and the work he does, especially how he switches it up a lot from film to film.

Interstellar really came out of left field as far as soundtracks go. I think Inception is still my favourite.

A guy like James Horner uses the same riffs over and over again across numerous movies.

"Aliens" and "Clear and Present Danger" essentially have the same soundtrack.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I do like Hans Zimmer and the work he does, especially how he switches it up a lot from film to film.

The guy did the soundtracks for Driving Miss Daisy and A League of their Own before he went on to do Crimson Tide and The Rock. That's versatility.

A guy like James Horner uses the same riffs over and over again across numerous movies.

"Aliens" and "Clear and Present Danger" essentially have the same soundtrack.

I love the Aliens soundtrack (and own it on CD), so I don't mind, but I've noticed the same thing. I always immediately know that it's a Horner soundtrack when I hear the "clink" of something striking metal (like the "clink... clink... clink clink!" motif in Aliens) because he's the only composer who uses that sound.

There are also movies with sections of soundtrack that sound a little bit like the battle scenes in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and have me wondering if it's Horner again and, yep, it usually is.

Oh. Wow. I didn't realize (or forgot) that Horner died 3 years ago, at only age 61. What a loss, especially when you consider that John Williams is 87 and still scoring films.

Last edited:

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Dune update: Filming that took place in Jordan, Hungary, UAE and Norway is now completed.

The release date has been pushed back by a month to December 18, 2020.

The sleeper will awaken, we just have to wait a lil longer.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Why Jason Momoa is cast for anything is just beyond me. He'd be overburdened with a tooth paste commercial.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Really not a fan of Chalamet, so I'm a bit skeptical with him as the lead, but everything else seems promising about this to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad