Movies: Dune by Denis Villeneuve?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Why the skepticism? He’s shown some real talent thus far, and Villnueve typically gets great performances from his actors anyway.
Kind of feel like he's turning into the new Eddie Redmayne, just someone that has a ton of critical acclaim, but doesn't really click with me. Don't think he's awful or anything, just not a fan.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If it's good it will be the most important sci-fi film ever. I've never looked forward to seeing a film this much.

I hate to contradict, but I doubt that it'll be more important than Star Wars or 2001: A Space Odyssey, even if it's excellent. Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve's last film) was universally acclaimed, but lost money and really appeals to only sci-fi fans. I imagine that Dune will be similar to that and Villeneuve's other sci-fi film, Arrival: critically praised and adored by sci-fi fans, but not make much of a dent in other circles, the box office or pop culture. His films tend to be a little niche, open to interpretation and not highly accessible to mainstream audiences. The total box office for all 7 of his films combined is only $680M. Even Disney's Solo, which was a massive flop, earned more than any of Villeneuve's critically acclaimed films. I'm sure that Dune will be good and we (Dune and hardcore sci-fi fans) will like it, but I don't see it being a massive box office hit and seminal sci-fi film, though I'd love to be wrong.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I hate to contradict, but I doubt that it'll be more important than Star Wars or 2001: A Space Odyssey, even if it's excellent. Blade Runner 2049 (Villeneuve's last film) was universally acclaimed, but lost money and really appeals to only sci-fi fans. As good as it is, it's not a very important film. I imagine that Dune will be similar to that and Villeneuve's other sci-fi film, Arrival: critically praised and adored by sci-fi fans, but not make much of a dent in other circles, the box office or pop culture. Villeneuve's films tend to be a little niche, open to interpretation and not highly accessible to mainstream audiences. The total box office for all 7 of his films combined is only $680M. Even Disney's Solo, which was a massive flop, earned more than any of Villeneuve's critically acclaimed films. I just don't see Dune being the massive hit that we all hope that it'll be, but I'd love to be wrong.
Sod the proles. ;)
I'd rather have Dune done well than commercially successful.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

It’s a book that tackles politics, religion, ecology, spirituality—and with a lot of characters,” says Villeneuve. “I think that’s why it’s so difficult. Honestly, it’s by far the most difficult thing I’ve done in my life.”

Having yet put off reading Dune myself it's been impossible to avoid the concerns around the internet that a film adaptation is near impossible due to the complexity of the story, as a fan of Denis Villeneuve (he's basically my favorite currently working director), I'm glad to see how seriously he seems to be taking the source material.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Didn’t even know Dune was a book. I’ll give it a read.

Also didn’t know how stacked the cast of this movie is.

Also also never saw the original movie. Should I see it before I see this new one? I kind of want Villenueve’s version to be the first I see of it

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Also also never saw the original movie. Should I see it before I see this new one? I kind of want Villenueve’s version to be the first I see of it
The original is pretty much universally panned as a disaster. I'd assume that as long as Villeneuve's adaptation is at least solid it will render the Lynch version irrelevant.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I like the look. It's just about what I hoped that it would be: distinctly sci-fi, but still very practical to the harsh life on a sand planet. That's a big relief because I was worried that some inspiration would be taken from Lynch's "Baroque" style in the original movie that I feel didn't suit the environment or story.

Having yet put off reading Dune myself it's been impossible to avoid the concerns around the internet that a film adaptation is near impossible due to the complexity of the story, as a fan of Denis Villeneuve (he's basically my favorite currently working director), I'm glad to see how seriously he seems to be taking the source material.

I've never been one of those who thinks that Dune is so complex that it's near impossible to adapt. I actually think that it's a somewhat simple story, just detailed, and that there's danger in mistaking that for complexity and thinking that all of the details need to be in an adaptation. It's been my favorite novel for as long as I can remember, but it's not perfect and I'm not attached to the details. I'd be fine with a lot of them being downplayed, changed or even discarded so as to make a more digestible movie.

I'd probably recommend against seeing the original first. It's not good and may dull your anticipation for the remake, especially the second part that you'll have to wait longer for. That said, I wouldn't dissuade anyone from reading the novel first. Maybe that's contradictory, but I think that reading a novel gives a lot of enjoyment that makes up for giving away the plot of the movie and can even build anticipation for it, whereas watching an old adaptation that's not good doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I like the look. It's just about what I hoped that it would be: distinctly sci-fi, but still very practical to the harsh life on a sand planet. That's a big relief because I was worried that some inspiration would be taken from Lynch's "Baroque" style in the original movie that I feel didn't suit the environment or story.

I've never been one of those who thinks that Dune is so complex that it's near impossible to adapt. I actually think that it's a somewhat simple story, just detailed, and that there's danger in mistaking that for complexity and thinking that all of the details need to be in an adaptation. It's been my favorite novel since I was a kid, but it's not perfect and I'm not attached to the details. I'd be fine with a lot of them being downplayed, changed or even discarded so as to make a more digestible movie.

I'd probably recommend against seeing the original first. It's not good and may dull your anticipation for the remake, especially the second part that you'll have to wait longer for. That said, I wouldn't dissuade anyone from reading the novel first. Maybe that's contradictory, but I think that reading a novel gives a lot of enjoyment that makes up for giving away the plot of the movie and can even build anticipation for it, whereas watching an old adaptation that's not good doesn't.
I've been thinking of reading it I just have other books I want to finish first.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I loved the original (it's just too bad the very first one didn't get made in the '70's that fell through, would have so loved to see it as pink floyd doing the soundtrack just sounds like it would have been a total mind f***) but then again I'm a huge fan of David Lynch's work as he's my favorite director. Most didn't like it though. The Sci-Fi channel did a re-make which sucked but they also did Children of Dune (though I never read that book)

I think you would be fine just watching Villenueve's version since that cast looks sick, I'm betting it's going to kick ass. I can't wait for this personally. This might be the most hyped i've been about a movie coming out in a long time.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Good move leaving out Harkonnen and the worms in the promo pics. Really curious to see both.

Harkonnen to me besides the general in Pan's Labyrinth in the most purely evil villain in western fiction.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Am I the only person who enjoyed the both Scifi miniseries?

Always feels that way

I've always had a soft spot for the "look" of David Lynch's Dune.

The stillsuits, the worms, the Atreides, they did a pretty good job.

But the plot and "weirding modules" were a disaster.

The Sci-fi miniseries managed to capture the essence of the book and did a pretty good job with the production values as well.

Plus we got to see the first couple of sequels which are interesting stories in their own right.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Good move leaving out Harkonnen and the worms in the promo pics. Really curious to see both.

I agree. I imagine that both won't really be shown until near the end of the first part. There's enough other stuff to get to and you need to have something exciting to build towards. Giving them away early spoils the anticipation that a first part needs to have. It also might not be very honest to market the film around those and gives them something strong to market the second part around. If we just get a taste of the bad guy and the worms in the first part, you bet that we're going to go see the second part to see them go nuts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad