Dumba high hit on Backlund

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
You've obviously never met cats in the wild. They will jump you from behind but good try. Dumba had no intentions of taking his gloves off

You got me... I have not been cornered by a Lion in the Wild before.... I was in Banff once and a moose walked in front of me and looked at me funny. That is as close as I have come to a wild animal attack.

It looked to me that Dumba had no time to get in a position to defend himself. Maybe he was hoping for a miracle comeback and was trying to get the man advantage. I have a hard time believing that he was too intimidated to fight Lomberg - Dumba is a pretty tough player.

Reactions: Joe Stuckey

Joe Stuckey

Dec 7, 2018
If a cat attacks you I don't think it is a good idea to take off your gloves. Dumba did the smart thing here.
I feel we have a different definition of smart. He reacted because he knew someone was coming. He's been in this league long enough to know if you hit someone like that someone is coming for you. Not saying it's right. Not saying its wrong but it's what happens most of the time. To say Dumba was jumped and didn't see it coming is bull

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I feel we have a different definition of smart. He reacted because he knew someone was coming. He's been in this league long enough to know if you hit someone like that someone is coming for you. Not saying it's right. Not saying its wrong but it's what happens most of the time. To say Dumba was jumped and didn't see it coming is bull

Dumba certainly saw it coming, and he did the correct thing leaving the gloves on and turtling. Why give the refs any excuse to even up the upcoming Power Play?

Joe Stuckey

Dec 7, 2018
You got me... I have not been cornered by a Lion in the Wild before.... I was in Banff once and a moose walked in front of me and looked at me funny. That is as close as I have come to a wild animal attack.

It looked to me that Dumba had no time to get in a position to defend himself. Maybe he was hoping for a miracle comeback and was trying to get the man advantage. I have a hard time believing that he was too intimidated to fight Lomberg - Dumba is a pretty tough player.
Bahahaha they are funny looking animals. If you see a cat in the wild you're screwed. Just look up cougar attacks. To say Dumba didn't see it coming is garbage. He knew someone was coming for that hit. He did what he did. Got a 7 minute power play and they still got shut out all game. Someone must have told him PP minutes is what wins games and not goals for/against

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Well, in his defense, a few seconds passed on nobody on the ice did anything about it, with the exception of a couple half-assed pokes. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to think that if anything was going to happen, it would've happened in the immediate aftermath.

That said, I'm pretty sure he saw the plug coming, knew that he hadn't been called for a penalty (since Suter was playing the puck), and decided to sacrifice a punch to the helmet for a PP and o-zone faceoff with 45 seconds remaining.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Well, in his defense, a few seconds passed on nobody on the ice did anything about it, with the exception of a couple half-assed pokes. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to think that if anything was going to happen, it would've happened in the immediate aftermath.

That said, I'm pretty sure he saw the plug coming, knew that he hadn't been called for a penalty (since Suter was playing the puck), and decided to sacrifice a punch to the helmet for a PP and o-zone faceoff with 45 seconds remaining.

Dumba did not have to fight lomberg. Anyone suggesting he should have is wrong. I have no problem with him ‘turtling’

Chucky did the same thing and if I recall correctly it resulted in us getting a power play goal from kassian jumping him (I could be wrong though)

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
All I have to say about the Dumba hit is if it wasn't backlund getting hit but Crosby or McDavid he would have been tossed out of the league. Why is one individuals personal health and safety less important than someone else's?

Oof, this is how Patrick Kane learns he's a Backlund and not a Crosby.

Plickspect

Jan 21, 2016
Great pic. Feet firmly planted, knees flexed like coiled springs, getting ready to explode upwards to put that extra oomph into the hit in order to really hurt the guy, when contract made.
Mission accomplished.

Yeah, it's called an open ice hit.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Well look at that. No hearing, no penalty, no nothing.

I guess that was a clean hit then. Who would have known? (right, everybody except the CAL fans)

Edit: also in other news.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That is a good hit but it would suck to be on the receiving end of one of those hits.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Dumba is such a p***y lol. What a turtle. This is right on the borderline of dirty, but if you’re going to throw that hit at least answer the bell, what an embarrassment. I hope he has it coming

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I'm not sure why the skates being on ice during the hit matters if the person is exploding up through the upper body. Anyway, I didn't like the hit but it was not that bad. Although I would have been ok with a game as it was not necessary and was dangerous, the hit was missing some of the elements the NHL seems to look for so I'm not surprised he isn't getting supplemental discipline.

I was pretty surprised to see Dumba turtle like that and then further surprised to see him still get punched in the back of the head while on the ice. I don't see that very often.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm not sure why the skates being on ice during the hit matters if the person is exploding up through the upper body. Anyway, I didn't like the hit but it was not that bad. Although I would have been ok with a game as it was not necessary and was dangerous, the hit was missing some of the elements the NHL seems to look for so I'm not surprised he isn't getting supplemental discipline.

I was pretty surprised to see Dumba turtle like that and then further surprised to see him still get punched in the back of the head while on the ice. I don't see that very often.
Most clean hits dont get supplemental discipline.

Reactions: Heldig

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

It's the guilt...if he even looks up he would know Lomberg is a midget and a useless fighter...his idea of fighting is stopping the other guys fists with his face.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
hmm we should see a Dumba Giordano fight then right, two guys who "need" to answer?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So Tkachuk doesn't fight Kassian, Oiler's fans lose their s#!t. Name calling, salt, weeping, wailing & gnashing of teeth.

Dumba doesn't fight, Not a peep out of the Whiners on Whyte.

(I'm fine with neither fighting in these circumstances. But I LOVE the hypocrisy)

You're assuming Oilers fans actually pay attention to either of the teams involved in this.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Dumba has no reason to fight here. It was a clean hit, with an unfortunate outcome. Dumba is one of the top offensive dmen in the league, with a powerplay incoming. Saying he needs to "answer the bell" by fighting an AHL player is ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad