Dumba high hit on Backlund

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Denigrating into a Tkachuk thread (again), but hit looked fine to me. Knee was nasty but to me it was not quite the same as when it happens to a player cutting across the middle; more of a block than a knee. Too bad Koivu seemed to get hurt.

And no issue with what Lomberg did - if that happened to Nuge, I would expect Kassian to do the same thing so can't be a hypocrite.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
And yet we've seen those "head down" hits get penalized often... The NHL doesn't agree with you or itself.

Of course. Referees make mistakes all the time. What a foolish argument.

If you want to actually ponder what the NHL thinks about when analyzing head hits, look at suspension videos, not split second decisions made in the heat of the moment from an often-compromised vantage point.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Good hit Dumba

Him turning when Lomberg came in made him look like a like bitch tho

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
So, I want to get something straight. It would seem the majority of you feel that making the head the principle point of contact is ok simply because the player’s head was down? There’s simply no other assessment I can arrive at based on many of the comments here. Getting hit in the head is the choice of the player om the receiving end of the hit...and the hitter is just dutifully fulfilling his job by hitting a guy in the head because it’s down.

This is like saying it’s not my fault I stole **** from your car because you left it unlocked. Fair game.
Literally nobody is saying it's ok to be predatory and hit someone with their head down. What people are saying is that hockey is an extremely fast sport and things happen so quickly out there which makes it difficult at times to avoid hitting someone in the head. A player can go from upright to hunched over in a fraction of a second so to completely put the blame on the hitter is not place any of the onus on the puck carrier to protect himself is just leading to more injuries because players look down or bend over and just assume nobody is going to hit them.

The world had seemingly gotten to a point where there's no gray area and no middle ground to anything. It's always 100% of the blame on one person and even the thought of suggesting the other person could have helped prevent it is "victim blaming" so nobody says anything to avoid getting attacked.

A better analogy would be that if I am driving and someone runs out in front of my car, it's not automatically my fault.

Reactions: FeatherHead

Plickspect

Jan 21, 2016
Another good angle of it here:

Dt1P04uVsAATNTF.jpg

Feet are on the ice, elbow tucked in, only reason there is head contact is because Backlund's head is at Dumba's chest level.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Good hit if hadn’t left his feet!!!! but not a ferocious dirty hit by any means!!!!

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
it's actually impossible to throw a hit without your skates leaving the ice, you know that right? plus initial point of contact his skates were still on the ice.

He should have kept his head up.

just saw it again. How the hell did Backlund not even see him coming. He had time to handle the puck and time to dish it out of all things.

What

That’s absolutely not true

Joe Stuckey

Dec 7, 2018
All I have to say about the Dumba hit is if it wasn't backlund getting hit but Crosby or McDavid he would have been tossed out of the league. Why is one individuals personal health and safety less important than someone else's?

Also what happened to hip checks? That would have been the perfect time and no one would be talking anywhere close to dirty today

Last edited:
Reactions: FeatherHead

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Denigrating into a Tkachuk thread (again), but hit looked fine to me. Knee was nasty but to me it was not quite the same as when it happens to a player cutting across the middle; more of a block than a knee. Too bad Koivu seemed to get hurt.

And no issue with what Lomberg did - if that happened to Nuge, I would expect Kassian to do the same thing so can't be a hypocrite.

I think it goes both ways.

I give Dumba a pass on turtling because a clean hit does not necessarily warrant a visit from the team scrub. I’d be a hypocrite if i said otherwise.

Likewise, I give Lomberg a pass because this is his job.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Joe Stuckey

Dec 7, 2018
A lion would have let Dumba at least get his gloves off to have some chance to defend himself.
You've obviously never met cats in the wild. They will jump you from behind but good try. Dumba had no intentions of taking his gloves off

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Another good angle of it here:

Dt1P04uVsAATNTF.jpg

Feet are on the ice, elbow tucked in, only reason there is head contact is because Backlund's head is at Dumba's chest level.
Great pic. Feet firmly planted, knees flexed like coiled springs, getting ready to explode upwards to put that extra oomph into the hit in order to really hurt the guy, when contract made.
Mission accomplished.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
All I have to say about the Dumba hit is if it wasn't backlund getting hit but Crosby or McDavid he would have been tossed out of the league. Why is one individuals personal health and safety less important than someone else's?

Also what happened to hip checks? That would have been the perfect time and no one would be talking anywhere close to dirty today
Dude McDavid and Sid get hacked and slashed every single game, far more than the average player. Same thing with a guy like Gaudreau. I don't buy this argument. The reason it never happens to those guys is because they're never skating through the middle with their head down.

Reactions: Deegee

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Of course. Referees make mistakes all the time. What a foolish argument.

If you want to actually ponder what the NHL thinks about when analyzing head hits, look at suspension videos, not split second decisions made in the heat of the moment from an often-compromised vantage point.
But is that a mistake? Those videos are how we know the NHL doesn't agree with itself. They are not consistent. The only question is why they aren't consistent.

Joe Stuckey

Dec 7, 2018
Dude McDavid and Sid get hacked and slashed every single game, far more than the average player. Same thing with a guy like Gaudreau. I don't buy this argument. The reason it never happens to those guys is because they're never skating through the middle with their head down.
Crosby!? Never!? How many concussions and guys suspended because of that now?

Reactions: Steven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->