Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Carter Rowney (3 years, 3.4m total)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The most frustrating part for me is IMO, Murray should have learned a lot about the incredibly bad and obvious fail that happened in signing Kelly, and remotely thinking he was capable of helping us in the playoffs. This signing looks like the same thought process to me. Character guy who can bring a lot to the locker room. I have no issue with signing him but committing to 3 years? Just seems stupid. That said, I'm willing to give him the rest of the offseason but if this is the best center he brings back and Grant signs for a similar or better deal, he's a ****ing moron.

I'm gonna guess he doesn't really view that signing with those superlatives. Didn't work out, sure, but didn't really affect anything. They gave him a couple hundred thousand and he played a few games, overall just a nothing deal and definitely not something anyone would spend time dwelling over.

Also, not sure I get the connection. I can't speak at all to Rowneys character, but I don't think hes got a major reputation for it or anything. I don't think that's what he was going for here.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Came here to say this. Pens fans especially are bad at this. Also, I wonder if this is a two way deal.

To play devils advocate they were bang on about Ryan Whitney. Although broken clocks are right twice a day...

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I am all in favor of letting the guy play a few games before we verbally lynch Bob and him. The Boards are not always the best evaluators of talent. Still, a three year contract for over $1 million per year for a bargin basement player is the sort of error that we have seen before. It is not the worst financial error if it doesn't work out and he gets stuck in San Diego, but when there is constant pressure to stay below an internal cap, these sorts of errors add up.

I do have to wonder what is happening with all these one way contracts for marginal players.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm gonna guess he doesn't really view that signing with those superlatives. Didn't work out, sure, but didn't really affect anything. They gave him a couple hundred thousand and he played a few games, overall just a nothing deal and definitely not something anyone would spend time dwelling over.
Also, not sure I get the connection. I can't speak at all to Rowneys character, but I don't think hes got a major reputation for it or anything. I don't think that's what he was going for here.
I'm not suggesting he dwells on the Kelly signing, I'm suggesting he learns a thing or two from it. Agreed that they're not identical or anything though. . Ideally he's thinking "man I was way off on his value and knowledge of the player". He's paying a guy who's, 29, who's never been able to consistently stay in the NHL, a multi year deal nearly double what he's ever made annually. WHY?! What f***ing leverage did Rowney have? Did Murray just insist on having him? I mention the Kelly signing because, IMO, it seems like another case of wrong assessment of a player and overpaying to get him. Like I said earlier, this isn't a backbreaker, but seems very unnecessary and frankly, stupid.
I am all in favor of letting the guy play a few games before we verbally lynch Bob and him. The Boards are not always the best evaluators of talent. Still, a three year contract for over $1 million per year for a bargin basement player is the sort of error that we have seen before. It is not the worst financial error if it doesn't work out and he gets stuck in San Diego, but when there is constant pressure to stay below an internal cap, these sorts of errors add up.
I do have to wonder what is happening with all these one way contracts for marginal players.
I have this very odd habit of updating my NHL game with all the rosters manually every July so I can play with the correct rosters during the boring ass months of July-August. I'm incredibly OCD so I even update the AHL signings. I was diong it last night and one thing I noticed is that a lot of these teams sign AHL guys to much higher salaries than we do. I saw a lot of 450k ahl deals. Bob seems to sign a few guys to 1 way deals and then kind of gets bargains on several others. As long as the NHL team's budget isn't affected much, i like that he spends well on SD because it's going to attract more fans to our games if they do well, which hopefully, will allow our owners to spend closer to cap.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This literally might be the most random deal I have ever seen in any sport.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
This literally might be the most random deal I have ever seen in any sport.

the rowney signing?

it's your typical crappy BM move. the most random signing i've ever seen in the NHL was when toronto signed jeff finger to a 4 yr deal for 3.5 mil per season because their GM thought he was someone else

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm not suggesting he dwells on the Kelly signing, I'm suggesting he learns a thing or two from it. Agreed that they're not identical or anything though. . Ideally he's thinking "man I was way off on his value and knowledge of the player". He's paying a guy who's, 29, who's never been able to consistently stay in the NHL, a multi year deal nearly double what he's ever made annually. WHY?! What ****ing leverage did Rowney have? Did Murray just insist on having him? I mention the Kelly signing because, IMO, it seems like another case of wrong assessment of a player and overpaying to get him. Like I said earlier, this isn't a backbreaker, but seems very unnecessary and frankly, stupid.

I have this very odd habit of updating my NHL game with all the rosters manually every July so I can play with the correct rosters during the boring ass months of July-August. I'm incredibly OCD so I even update the AHL signings. I was diong it last night and one thing I noticed is that a lot of these teams sign AHL guys to much higher salaries than we do. I saw a lot of 450k ahl deals. Bob seems to sign a few guys to 1 way deals and then kind of gets bargains on several others. As long as the NHL team's budget isn't affected much, i like that he spends well on SD because it's going to attract more fans to our games if they do well, which hopefully, will allow our owners to spend closer to cap.

Having watched Kelly play during his AHL stint last year, I'm still shocked that an NHL pro scouting staff thought he was the best choice out there to help our roster down the stretch. There were many veteran pros on that team alone who clearly had a much greater impact at that level, yet have never been able to nail down NHL jobs - Max Reinhart, Jim O'Brien, Nick Paul, Mike Blunden, Max McCormick just off the top of my head. There was at least one undrafted free agent on an AHL contract (Ethan Werek) who like wise clearly brought more to the table than Kelly. When a guy doesn't stand out at all on team full of borderline NHL/AHL talents, I just don't see why anyone would expect a positive impact at the NHL level.

Reactions: Duck Off

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Having watched Kelly play during his AHL stint last year, I'm still shocked that an NHL pro scouting staff thought he was the best choice out there to help our roster down the stretch. There were many veteran pros on that team alone who clearly had a much greater impact at that level, yet have never been able to nail down NHL jobs - Max Reinhart, Jim O'Brien, Nick Paul, Mike Blunden, Max McCormick just off the top of my head. There was at least one undrafted free agent on an AHL contract (Ethan Werek) who like wise clearly brought more to the table than Kelly. When a guy doesn't stand out at all on team full of borderline NHL/AHL talents, I just don't see why anyone would expect a positive impact at the NHL level.

No one on these boards thought so as far as I can recall. Pretty sure Bob just saw the ability to bring in an 'Olympian' into the room for next to nothing and went with it. For a team supposedly with cup aspirations, his handling of the trade deadline still makes me scratch my head, but I guess if the story is true about the Eaves situation it makes it a little more logical.

As for Rowney, I'm not gonna hate the guy for signing a three year cheap deal to be a 4th liner or 13th forward, but it does bother me that Murray never seems to want to leave s spot or two open for our own prospects to fill. Sure they will battle it out with the Rowneys and Gibbons of the team, but I wish the organization would understand that some guys like Kerdiles, Roy, Blandisi, Kossilla, etc likely will not pan out into top 6 or top 9 forwards and would give them more of an opportunity to carve out a depth role for themselves on our roster. We don't seem to be very good at developing and keeping our own quality depth players despite having a good prospect pool, yet more than a few teams in this league have or had former players of ours playing well in depth roles. It makes it hard to root for any of our prospects outside of the best few, because you know they aren't likely to ever have a role on the Ducks. Bob's depth moves don't ever really strike me as improvements to the roster, more like swapping in new castoffs from other teams rather than going with our own guys. He's got a real 'grass is greener' type issue with depth players.

Wagner, DSP, Noesen, and now likely Grant are the four best examples I can think of in this regard. I understand in each case why they are gone, but I don't understand why Bob is so averse to using our own home grown depth players and retaining them, and prefers to bring in other team's guys instead. If Grant ends up signing a contract somewhere that's the same or less term and about the same money as Rowney, I am going to seriously question whether his tinkering of the 4th line is some sort of phony showcase to ownership that he is working hard. Same for if Schenn comes in and plays like garbage when he's got so many other options in the organization.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
You don't let spots open for prospects. They have to outplay the competition. And if they are not able to outplay Rowney they will not be good enough.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I think we are overreacting because:

1. We've seen this act before
2. Three years!?
Its only 1.25 a year, you can bury him in the AHL and that covers 900k of it. Its not like a Bieska or Stoner situation here. We haven't even seen him play yet. Most people thought the Grant signing was terrible last year, now we wish we had him to a 3 year 1.25 a year contract.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Its only 1.25 a year, you can bury him in the AHL and that covers 900k of it. Its not like a Bieska or Stoner situation here. We haven't even seen him play yet. Most people thought the Grant signing was terrible last year, now we wish we had him to a 3 year 1.25 a year contract.

It’s being overblown because it’s murray doing more of what he normally does. However another reason it’s being made to be a huge deal right now is that as it stands Rowney is at least our 4th line center and possibly our 3rd line center if Kesler is injured. If Grant was already re-signed, the reaction isn’t as bad. Just frustrating to see a hole in the lineup (currently) filled by a guy who’s never proven he could fill it. On top of that Murray gave him a contract he’s never earned. It’s just weird. This would be like another team signing Rasmussen to a 3 year deal at 1.2 a year. The instant reaction is “wtf?! Why did he deserve 3 years at almost double his salary when he can’t even stay in nhl consistently?”

The move isn’t a back breaker but there’s an extreme lack of logic being applied in that contract offer. I think Murray has seen this guy play and thinks he’s worth more than he is. Problem is he’s probably looking at film of this player from 3 years ago.

Reactions: Doothpick

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Based on the track record of BM/RC, do you really think they're going to "bury him in the AHL?"

Reactions: DuckRogers10

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Based on the track record of BM/RC, do you really think they're going to "bury him in the AHL?"
I suppose if he doesn't work out the contract is small enough that they could buy him out. According to Cap Friendly we are in the last year of a cap hit for the buy out of Mark Fistric. BM bought out his three year contract after one year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad