Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Carter Rowney (3 years, 3.4m total)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yes, people shouldn't react strongly when BM hands out yet anoter undeserved contract. What the **** has Carter Rowney done to deserve 3 year contract from Ducks?

Why do people act like players don't deserve their contracts? It was offered to him, of course he deserves it.

As for acting strongly, it's a bad overreaction because apparently no one has considered just how low of a bar Rowney would have to clear so this isnt a bad contract. He doesn't even really have to be that good to do that. If hes a regular, that's probably enough right there.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Why do people act like players don't deserve their contracts? It was offered to him, of course he deserves it.
This makes no sense.

As for acting strongly, it's a bad overreaction because apparently no one has considered just how low of a bar Rowney would have to clear so this isnt a bad contract. He doesn't even really have to be that good to do that. If hes a regular, that's probably enough right there.
It's a shit contract, there is no bar low enough to warrant that contract for a 4th liner of Rowney's ilk.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This makes no sense.

It's a **** contract, there is no bar low enough to warrant that contract for a 4th liner of Rowney's ilk.

It's probably more frustration over general commentary about how athletes aren't deserving of what they're paid. I just hate that term being used. Everyone deserves getting whatever they can.

As for Rowney specifically, lol. So you're saying that if he comes in and is our new Nate Thompson, it's still a bad deal? Or is even better than that? That's a dumb statement.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
It's probably more frustration over general commentary about how athletes aren't deserving of what they're paid. I just hate that term being used. Everyone deserves getting whatever they can.
Who brought in general merit of athletes being paid? What are you even talking about?

As for Rowney specifically, lol. So you're saying that if he comes in and is our new Nate Thompson, it's still a bad deal? Or is even better than that? That's a dumb statement.
That reply followed by a claim of dumb statement is hilarious, and ironic. I'm saying that nothing he's done so far warrants him getting what he did. Again, calling a dumb statement while incapable of processing such a simple statement is incredible actually.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Who brought in general merit of athletes being paid? What are you even talking about?

That reply followed by a claim of dumb statement is hilarious, and ironic. I'm saying that nothing he's done so far warrants him getting what he did. Again, calling a dumb statement while incapable of processing such a simple statement is incredible actually.

It was fairly unrelated by a general pet peeve of mine, as I already explained. Not hard to figure out.

Also, you said theres no bar low enough to justify that contract. That's a pretty dumb statement, and that's even before considering just how good he actually has to be to make that a decent to good contract. Itd be one thing to say theres nothing you've seen(lol) from him that says he'll play to the level of a million dollar player, it's another to say theres no bar low enough to justify it.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
If he's Nate Thompson then I'm sure no one would have a problem with it, but he hasn't shown any inclination to this point to be as good as Thompson so why should we expect that to suddenly be the case? Just because you and BM think so? It also begs the question why didn't Bob just sign Nate for 300k more per year? Too much for a known commodity? Same question for Grant.

Reactions: Duck Off
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
If he's Nate Thompson then I'm sure no one would have a problem with it, but he hasn't shown any inclination to this point to be as good as Thompson so why should we expect that to suddenly be the case? Just because you and BM think so? It also begs the question why didn't Bob just sign Nate for 300k more per year? Too much for a known commodity? Same question for Grant.

If he's Nate Thompson it's probably a steal. I don't think he will, but just like literally everyone here, I know pretty much nothing about the player. The main point was that he basically just has to be an ok fourth liner to justify that deal on the teams end, it really isnt much of a bar to clear when fourth liners are getting 8 figure contracts.

It's funny Grant gets brought up too because people reacted pretty similarly to his signing, right down to the language about deserving his deal.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Derek Grant signed for 1 year 650,000 last season. Half the salary of Rowney and a third of the term commitment

What are you even going on about?

Reactions: Duck Off and Elvs

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lou has managed to one up the Rowney deal by offering a 4 year term to Russ Johnston ar $1M per year. I want to know what was going through either guys head when offering term to such unestablished players.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Lou has managed to one up the Rowney deal by offering a 4 year term to Russ Johnston ar $1M per year. I want to know what was going through either guys head when offering term to such unestablished players.
I'll take Johnston any day over Rowney
He is one of the top young enforcers who is a very effective big hitter. An ideal 4th liner actually that this team needs still

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
And people were still mad online about it, that's the comparison. As it turns out, posters here aren't always great at evaluating players they've never heard of.
I see your point. It's just the years for me. If this were a 1 year deal I don't think anyone would care and if they did, they'd be being melodramatic.

I can't see why you guarantee a player like this 3 years, man. If he were 23 or 24 and expected to improve, okay fine. This is a guy who is going to be 30 soon though.

I realize we can bury a lot of the salary in the minors if we have to but it still feels like a big commitment to a fringe player. Certainly more fringe than Thompson was at the time.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I see your point. It's just the years for me. If this were a 1 year deal I don't think anyone would care and if they did, they'd be being melodramatic.

I can't see why you guarantee a player like this 3 years, man. If he were 23 or 24 and expected to improve, okay fine. This is a guy who is going to be 30 soon though.

I realize we can bury a lot of the salary in the minors if we have to but it still feels like a big commitment to a fringe player. Certainly more fringe than Thompson was at the time.

Yeah, absolutely, the three years is weird and seems very unnecessary. I really don't know a lot about the guy and even think there might be some signs of some decent upside, but nothing really strikes me about him that says Murray just absolutely have to have him. On the other hand, it's so easy to live up to this deal that I find the outrage pretty funny. Like, it's different because of the familiarity and whatnot, but if Murray gave this deal to Wagner before the trade I don't think I would've even blinked and I'm not sure many other people would have either.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'll take Johnston any day over Rowney
He is one of the top young enforcers who is a very effective big hitter. An ideal 4th liner actually that this team needs still

That still doesn’t justify giving him a 4 year term. He was in the AHL most of last season, he has no leverage to demand much more than league minimum.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Agree with you about the 4 years.
Now they have Johnston and Matt Martin
And I bet that team will be complete ass next season. He has 6 career points, 25 games in his career at 24 years old is not good. Hits does not win games, it's so simple I don't understand how you still don't realize this.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
And I bet that team will be complete ass next season. He has 6 career points, 25 games in his career at 24 years old is not good. Hits does not win games, it's so simple I don't understand how you still don't realize this.
Thats pretty good for a 4th line enforcer rookie actually
As for your comment about hitting, coming from the ultimate anti fighting poster here let's just say I strongly disagree and Tim Wilson's performance disagrees unless you must some of his hits during the playoffs.
In your world fighting and hitting should be out of the game and I want no part of your type of hockey

Reactions: AngelDuck

RakAttack

Nov 9, 2017
As for your comment about hitting, coming from the ultimate anti fighting poster here let's just say I strongly disagree and Tim Wilson's performance disagrees unless you must some of his hits during the playoffs.
In your world fighting and hitting should be out of the game and I want no part of your type of hockey

When the league starts handing out goals for hits we can worry about enforcer type players all we want. I’m more worried about this team’s ability to put the puck in the back of the net consistently. Figure that out, then introduce a heavy hitter that still has the ability to play with the speed of the new NHL.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Would you stop putting words in my mouth? I have never once said fighting or hitting should be taken out of the game. Seriously, stop doing that shit already, you constantly do it with me. I want players that can contribute on the score sheet since that’s what wins games. Until the league starts handing out wins based on hits and fights, let’s focus our efforts on adding players who can score. Tom Wilson is a fine hockey player, key words here are “ hockey player,”. He can contribute offensivel, play hockey, and hit. That’s valuable. The guys you want are not those kind of players.

At this point, hockey is not going to be the sport for you, go watch UFC instead.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Would you stop putting words in my mouth? I have never once said fighting or hitting should be taken out of the game. Seriously, stop doing that **** already, you constantly do it with me. I want players that can contribute on the score sheet since that’s what wins games. Until the league starts handing out wins based on hits and fights, let’s focus our efforts on adding players who can score. Tom Wilson is a fine hockey player, key words here are “ hockey player,”. He can contribute offensivel, play hockey, and hit. That’s valuable. The guys you want are not those kind of players.

At this point, hockey is not going to be the sport for you, go watch UFC instead.
The last line is about as lame as when Dirk tells people to go watch figure skating

I find the whole back and forth with dirk priceless. One of the big reasons I post here

Reactions: Getzmonster

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
It was fairly unrelated by a general pet peeve of mine, as I already explained. Not hard to figure out.

Also, you said theres no bar low enough to justify that contract. That's a pretty dumb statement, and that's even before considering just how good he actually has to be to make that a decent to good contract. Itd be one thing to say theres nothing you've seen(lol) from him that says he'll play to the level of a million dollar player, it's another to say theres no bar low enough to justify it.
Another The Mighty Duck Man special. We've done this dance before. Inject your own interpretation out of the blue, reply with LOL or LMAO, claim dumb statements, and when get called out spin in a way "Even though I quoted your point which deals with specific player in context, I didn't reply to your specific point but it was more of a general statement".

Yes I said there is no bar low enough for him to cross to justify, in retrospect, giving him that contract, because there is nothing he's done to earn it. Wishful thinking doesn't count as a justification.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Another The Mighty Duck Man special. We've done this dance before. Inject your own interpretation out of the blue, reply with LOL or LMAO, claim dumb statements, and when get called out spin in a way "Even though I quoted your point which deals with specific player in context, I didn't reply to your specific point but it was more of a general statement".

Yes I said there is no bar low enough for him to cross to justify, in retrospect, giving him that contract, because there is nothing he's done to earn it. Wishful thinking doesn't count as a justification.

Well that got weirdly personal. How much is rent for this month?

Anyway, if hes a good fourth liner, obviously that contract is justified, especially in retrospect. To say otherwise is kind of outrageous and to say theres no bar low enough to clear is just plain dumb. I clearly didn't misinterpret anything if you're going as far to proactively say it's a bad contract regardless of how he plays.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Well that got weirdly personal. How much is rent for this month?

Anyway, if hes a good fourth liner, obviously that contract is justified, especially in retrospect. To say otherwise is kind of outrageous and to say theres no bar low enough to clear is just plain dumb. I clearly didn't misinterpret anything if you're going as far to proactively say it's a bad contract regardless of how he plays.
Yep, same old shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad