Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Carter Rowney (3 years, 3.4m total)

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
They still may, none of the NHL trio are listed by the team as a center.
I just see it as another road block for a young guy. Now you are paying this guy almost twice the league minimum I believe for the next 3 years. Pens fans are saying he isn’t an NHL talent even. This guy will be a healthy scratch candidate for a decent amount of money. I don’t get it at all unless I’m missing something about him.

The term is just baffling. It reeks of another leadership move from Bob getting a former cup winner

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
The Gibbons move made some sense. This move makes no sense to me. Sure he is cheap but at least on the surface this only looks like someone for the prospects to compete with in training camp. As if having Kossila, Blandisi, Steel, Terry, Fiore, Roy, de Leo, etc don't have enough competition just trying to outdo each other for a role on this club.

Even if you want to argue that none of those guys are ready, signing Gibbons gives us 11 healthy forwards under contract or RFA and we still need a 2c/3c option to replace Kesler.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
The Gibbons move made some sense. This move makes no sense to me. Sure he is cheap but at least on the surface this only looks like someone for the prospects to compete with in training camp. As if having Kossila, Blandisi, Steel, Terry, Fiore, Roy, de Leo, etc don't have enough competition just trying to outdo each other for a role on this club.

Even if you want to argue that none of those guys are ready, signing Gibbons gives us 11 healthy forwards under contract or RFA and we still need a 2c/3c option to replace Kesler.

Certainly don't understand the 3 years but these guys can easily be moved down to the AHL if the young guys impress. Thats what I think a lot of these signings were for, to let the young kids prove they belong.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rowney is fine as a 13th forward, he's even passable as a regular under the right circumstances, but three years is bananas.

The last thing you want from a player whose performance relies on will instead of skill is comfort and complacency.

Reactions: Jacob and AngelDuck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I just see it as another road block for a young guy. Now you are paying this guy almost twice the league minimum I believe for the next 3 years. Pens fans are saying he isn’t an NHL talent even. This guy will be a healthy scratch candidate for a decent amount of money. I don’t get it at all unless I’m missing something about him.

The term is just baffling. It reeks of another leadership move from Bob getting a former cup winner

Could be, Rowneys apparently good at faceoffs and they highlighted that on the website, but theres a spot to be won still.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Certainly don't understand the 3 years but these guys can easily be moved down to the AHL if the young guys impress. Thats what I think a lot of these signings were for, to let the young kids prove they belong.

Right, but this is exactly what we say every season when Bob signs a handful of depth players for low salary deals, and every season we end up seeing them take up roster spots out of camp and then our prospects stay buried, or worse, we call them up and then lose them to waivers.

In the grand scheme of things, having these guys on our fourth line isn't a huge issue, but given the seemingly new focus of trying to roll four lines I think many of us were hoping to see one or two of our own prospects carve out roles rather than signing other teams expendable depth.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
This shouldn't sit well with RFA Kossila. At least Grant played well here and had done something to warrant an extension. Rowney has done shown nothing that warrants this contract, and out of nowhere slides in ahead of Kossila on the depth chart...

The good news is I think Rowney is equally as much a winger as he is a center. But even then, I'd rather just have Blandisi up here as a 12th-14th forward. He brings everything Rowney does, with more production and for cheaper.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I get wanting more options for the fourth line, which is a perfectly reasonable way to use FA, but I truly want to know what the they see in this guy to give him three years.

Honestly, I've never seen the guy play. So, I hope to be proven wrong, but that is a lot of term for a dude who hasn't been able to stay in a lineup.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't touch the 3rd line
As of now all we have for toughness is Schenn, Manson and Ritchie

Dirk I respect your passion for hard nosed hockey as much as the next guy, and maybe more than some on here, but I gotta chime in and say that Getzlaf is not exactly a soft hockey player or an easy guy to play against. I know by toughness you mean hitting and fighting, but I'd respectfully ask that you include Getz in that list. And for the record, I know Perry and Cogs don't fit your criteria for hitting and fighting, but both are among the toughest players I've seen on the Ducks in terms of bouncing back from hits and injuries and playing through pain. Our lineup may not be full of heavyweight boxers but its not like it's a bunch of pushovers either. I'd throw Kesler in this discussion too if he wasn't such an uncertainty, because he's also a tough customer to play against.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Legitimately had never heard of this player before. Ever. He seems like a bad player who you should not give a multi year deal to.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I get wanting more options for the fourth line, which is a perfectly reasonable way to use FA, but I truly want to know what the they see in this guy to give him three years.

Honestly, I've never seen the guy play. So, I hope to be proven wrong, but that is a lot of term for a dude who hasn't been able to stay in a lineup.

For what it's worth I think he did stay in the Pens lineup for the most part, he had a few injuries last year. I don't think he was healthy scratched a while lot since the Pens called him up in Jan 2017.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Are we sure the Ducks haven’t announced the Rowney and Gibbons contracts the wrong way round?

Gibbons is a decent NHLer, Rowney is surely a depth signing for no more than one year.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He became a hero after a three point game against Ottawa in the playoffs, and then did absolutely nothing after. His only strength is along the boards. Yup...

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Ain't gonna lie. Had to look the guy up... never heard of him. Of course, I don't watch much E.C. hockey, either, but still...

This season is really gonna blow.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Last year, I wanted Rowney to be in the ECHL. Literally.

He wasn’t better than our centers in Wilkes Barre (Bluegar, Dea).

Feelsbadman.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad