Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Carter Rowney (3 years, 3.4m total)

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
At this point I wish our f***ing philanthrophist owners would make some changes or SELL THE TEAM. Useless f***s.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Gibbons, Schenn, and Rodin need to fire their agents.

Rowney needs to buy his a car. He could probably buy him a house and still end up with more than he deserved.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
I don't understand giving him 3 years at all, but I do want to point out one thing. Last year Rowney started only 25% of his shifts in the offensive zone, which was 10th lowest in the entire league (2nd if you only count regular players), and finished about even in scoring chances given up. So while I don't think he's any good, his numbers (conventional and advanced) are going to take a huge hit when you start basically every shift in your own zone so guys like Malkin and Kessel can start basically every shift in the offensive zone.

To put that 25% in perspective, last year Kesler had the lowest OZ faceoff percentage at 40%.

But, yeah, also 3 years is insane.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sell the team to Arte Moreno, Arte would have Murray & Carlyle fired & start asking them to sign Star caliber players when they get the chance to instead of throwing pennies at ECHLers & to actually make a impact trade instead of sitting on their ass. They should have traded for ROR or something.
He's have them willing to retain as much as they can on Perry & dump him on some south eastern team that has a empty arena.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

duxfever

Mar 29, 2009
Orange, CA
Sell the team to Arte Moreno, Arte would have Murray & Carlyle fired & start asking them to sign Star caliber players when they get the chance to instead of throwing pennies at ECHLers & to actually make a impact trade instead of sitting on their ass. They should have traded for ROR or something.
He's have them willing to retain as much as they can on Perry & dump him on some south eastern team that has a empty arena.

Wait, wait, wait. The guy that handed Scioscia a 10-year deal would fire Murray and Carlyle? And then go sign stars like Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton?

Please God stay away from the Arte Moreno model.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Wait, wait, wait. The guy that handed Scioscia a 10-year deal would fire Murray and Carlyle? And then go sign stars like Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton?

Please God stay away from the Arte Moreno model.
Was thinking more like Tavares or trading for Karlsson. Buying out Perry or moving him + money for a bag of pucks from Carolina. They couldn't even sign a Grabner or Bozak.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You cannot be serious. Arturo has been his own disaster with his meddling, moreso than the Samuelis

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I don't get to say it often, so I'll take this chance - who? For $1M+? For 3 years? Puzzling stuff. I obviously can't judge the guy, so I'll refrain, but the reports don't make me optimistic.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
You cannot be serious. Arturo has been his own disaster with his meddling, moreso than the Samuelis
And if the MLB 2005 & 2009 playoffs had gone differently in the Angels favor, people would be praising him. At least the Sharks & Kings have owners willing to go for it when they have a window.
Bob had a window several years ago where he should have gone all in for the Cup but didn't.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't understand giving him 3 years at all, but I do want to point out one thing. Last year Rowney started only 25% of his shifts in the offensive zone, which was 10th lowest in the entire league (2nd if you only count regular players), and finished about even in scoring chances given up. So while I don't think he's any good, his numbers (conventional and advanced) are going to take a huge hit when you start basically every shift in your own zone so guys like Malkin and Kessel can start basically every shift in the offensive zone.

To put that 25% in perspective, last year Kesler had the lowest OZ faceoff percentage at 40%.

But, yeah, also 3 years is insane.
So what you're saying is he's perfect to play 5-6 minutes a night on the 4th line and, to quote Hazy, "don't f*** up." Why, he's almost the perfect guy for last year's Duck team. But I don't know how he can possibly play for the new and improved, roll 4 lines, speed first, RC2 coached team. :biglaugh:

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Budget teams can't just throw away office paper. Murray had already started to write up a 3 year contract for a depth defenseman, but Schenn only wanted a year, so he had to use it somewhere.

Reactions: Bender66

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
So what you're saying is he's perfect to play 5-6 minutes a night on the 4th line and, to quote Hazy, "don't **** up." Why, he's almost the perfect guy for last year's Duck team. But I don't know how he can possibly play for the new and improved, roll 4 lines, speed first, RC2 coached team. :biglaugh:

To be fair the job of most fourth lines is basically not to "**** up." I think Murray's especially sensitive about 4th lines right now after they kept getting torched by San Jose's 4th line in the playoffs.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
To be fair the job of most fourth lines is basically not to "**** up." I think Murray's especially sensitive about 4th lines right now after they kept getting torched by San Jose's 4th line in the playoffs.
Except that was Hazy's definition of what RC expected out of the 4th line last year. If that's this year's directive, then it was all BS when Bob said he told RC the 4th line needs to play more. A 4th line that plays 10-12 minutes will make mistakes. It's just part of what you have to deal with. Unless of course you just go back to the 5 minute 4th line and Bob tells us he didn't know how hard it would be to distribute ice time better.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I've literally never heard of this guy but Pens fans don't like him so uh how the hell did he get more term and money than Gibbons who is actually an established 4th liner

Reactions: Paul4587

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
That’s the point though. Teams with “please just don’t **** up” 4th lines don’t advance in the playoffs.

Alright here's the regular season stats for two fourth lines:

4th line A:

Average TOI: 11:11
GF: 22
GA: 25
GF%: 46.8%

4th line B:

Average TOI: 12:26
GA: 27
GF%: 44.9%

4th line A is the Duck's fourth line last year. 4th line B is the fourth line of the Stanley Cup champion Washington capitals.

Fourth lines don't matter at all. The impact they have on the game relative to first and second lines is essentially zero. In today's NHL the role of the fourth line is to play against the other team's fourth line and not get scored on while the actual talented players on the team rest for their next shift.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Alright here's the regular season stats for two fourth lines:

4th line A:

Average TOI: 11:11
GA: 25
GF%: 46.8%

4th line B:

Average TOI: 12:26
GA: 27
GF%: 44.9%

4th line A is the Duck's fourth line last year. 4th line B is the fourth line of the Stanley Cup champion Washington capitals.

Fourth lines don't matter at all. The impact they have on the game relative to first and second lines is essentially zero. In today's NHL the role of the fourth line is to play against the other team's fourth line and not get scored on while the actual talented players on the team rest for their next shift.

Your numbers are suspect because of the number of injuries we had and how many 4th line players played significant time on the 2nd/3rd lines. ESTOI/game for Kesler + Getzlaf + Henrique is over 45 per game. Add in SH and PP time and the 4th line was nowhere near 12 minutes per game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad