Post-Game Talk: Ducks @ Rangers: Creative Title N/A

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Played fine had two disastrous turnovers and Anderson was good. Could have easily won this game. We've played very well basically since the Detroit game

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Just got beaten by a better hockey team. The end.

Agreed.

This team needs scoring. We are lacking talent up front. Lacking finish. Every game it's too hard to score. Nash could have been a difference maker.

We need the "go to guy" and we don't have one. It's frustrating to see the lack of elite talent in our forward core.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Rangers looked afraid and nervous during a big portion of the game.

And of course Rangers get a TMM penalty.

They need to score on these backups though. This is getting pathetic.

Ducks goalie got in their heads. They were overplaying the puck at times by giving up prime shooting areas for that lateral pass.

I think thats a habit that is hopefully slowly going to end as the season moves on.

Rangers need to get more shots in the slot.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Played fine had two disastrous turnovers and Anderson was good. Could have easily won this game. We've played very well basically since the Detroit game

He was good. And he made a lot of timely saves.

But we make too many back-ups and mid-level starters look good. Routinely, the other goaltender "stands on his head" against us. I think it has more to do with our ability to finish a play than their actual ability in net.

I always say to myself "If Pittsburgh or Chicago had that SAME chance would they have finished?" And my answer is usually yes.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Why should the Rangers have won? That Anaheim team is as good as I have seen this year. Fast and big in spades.

Because I felt that the Rangers outplayed them tonight. I am not saying that the Rangers are a better team and my post has nothing to do with Anaheim's skill. I felt that the Rangers were the better team tonight, however.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
I hope the Rangers send a clip of the Palmieri head shot on Stepan away from the puck. The Ducks abused him away from the puck all night.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He was good. And he made a lot of timely saves.

But we make too many back-ups and mid-level starters look good. Routinely, the other goaltender "stands on his head" against us. I think it has more to do with our ability to finish a play than their actual ability in net.

I always say to myself "If Pittsburgh or Chicago had that SAME chance would they have finished?" And my answer is usually yes.

We just scored five goals against a backup. There's also a thread here from a year or so ago asking something about how your favorite team does against backup goalies and a huge majority says they make them look amazing.

I'd be interested in seeing stats on how we actually do be backups over the last three years or so. I would do it myself but I am currently at penn station

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Boyle gets exposed against the quicker, skilled teams. He is just soooo flatfooted.

he shouldnt be playing the minutes he is.

i LOVE Boyle as a 4th liner. but as a 3rd liner? no thanks.

he brings absolutely NOTHING offensively, you can't have that on a 3rd liner. Pyatts the same way. 2 black holes offensively on one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL. Pyatt needs to go before Boyle.

Mashinter stinks, i dont know why he played over miller.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Because I felt that the Rangers outplayed them tonight. I am not saying that the Rangers are a better team and my post has nothing to do with Anaheim's skill. I felt that the Rangers were the better team tonight, however.

I don't think either team outplayed the other. Anaheim gave the Rangers little room all night. Very well executed, especially for a team at the end of a very long road trip.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Have to agree. Two turnovers were the difference tonight. Anaheim capitalized.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
We just scored five goals against a backup. There's also a thread here from a year or so ago asking something about how your favorite team does against backup goalies and a huge majority says they make them look amazing.

I'd be interested in seeing stats on how we actually do be backups over the last three years or so. I would do it myself but I am currently at penn station

I'm not just talking about back-ups (although our team usually struggles against them), but just about every goaltender we have faced this year has shut us down. In my opinion, it has more to do with our teams talent up front and ability to actually put the puck in the net. We don't have too many forwards who can actually finish. And because of that, a lot of goaltenders look great.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Pouliot really knows how to kill momentum. Funny how there's 1 penalty the entire game and then the last few minutes there's 2 on each team.

The Rangers didn't play as badly as some of you are making it out to be. They had chances and controlled the pace for most of the game. Anaheim just played a very good road game. Solid defensive play, clog up the neutral zone and lots of whistles. No flow could get going for the Rangers. Ducks blocked a ton of shots and did a lot of collapsing down low. They really grinded it out. Really only two bad turnovers turned into goals for them. We were pretty solid aside from those two plays. We were the better team for most of the game.

This is a game where Nash would've been valuable. The guys weren't getting bounces tonight. Anaheim played smart but they were tired. A Stepan outlet pass to Nash who goes through the D and scores was something I would've expected in a game like this. Like we saw kreider with that good rush, Nash would've had a few of those. Just think whenever Pouliot was out there, it could've been Nash. Damn you Poo Poo!

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Ducks are on the last game of a long road trip with a bunch of injuries. Outplaying a tired team for some stretches isn't a big accomplishment.

Actually putting some pucks in the net would be.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
There are 24 or 25 better hockey teams than the Rangers, so I guess we should get used to this.

Another minus for Staal. He now has the worst plus/minus in the NHL.

I'm sure Mashinter's 2:50 of ice time was worth benching Miller for.

Staal got a minus because of an awful turnover that he had nothing to do with. He was, by leaps and bounds, our best defenseman tonight (and I've been upset with his play all season).

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

he brings absolutely NOTHING offensively, you can't have that on a 3rd liner. Pyatts the same way. 2 black holes offensively on one of the worst offensive teams in the NHL. Pyatt needs to go before Boyle.

Mashinters useless and it makes no sense to play him when he will get 3 minutes a game. Would rather have Falk in that case for the extra defenseman

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The way Anaheim played tonight reminds me of how Montreal plays in MSG. Clog all the lanes trap your way to victory. It works though I guess. Maybe that's why this game made me want to punch a hole in the wall.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Have to agree. Two turnovers were the difference tonight. Anaheim capitalized.

When you have elite talent like Getzlaf and Perry you're going to capitalize on the chances you get (and Perry cashed in right away).

We need a player of that caliber in the line up. The only one we have who comes CLOSE is Nash. And Nash isn't as good as either one of them.

Nash could have been a difference in a game like this.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'm not just talking about back-ups (although our team usually struggles against them), but just about every goaltender we have faced this year has shut us down. In my opinion, it has more to do with our teams talent up front and ability to actually put the puck in the net. We don't have too many forwards who can actually finish. And because of that, a lot of goaltenders look great.

A lot of it has to do though with almost all of our forwards have shooting percentages below their career average and nobody way above (see steen, Nielsen for extreme examples)

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012

Look, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter with Boyle. Brian Boyle will never be on a Stanley Cup team. He is most likely either going to get traded from here at the deadline or he is going to play out the season and not get resigned.

He will get replaced by one of our kids either later this year or next. So, I can sit around ***** about him or I can just accept him for what he is with whatever time he has here. Its just not worth the headache.

I got nothing against the guy. He works harder than anyone on the team, but he is what he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad