Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah. One thing we don't really have in our system is a bona-fide sniper. We have guys with good shots (like Comtois) but we really don't have anybody whose shot needs to be respected. Zegras + someone like Holtz from this next draft would be absolutely nutty.

We still have rakell and kase who maybe arnt snipers, but they are legit goal scorers that can score from anywherr

Reactions: Kalv

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Yeah. One thing we don't really have in our system is a bona-fide sniper. We have guys with good shots (like Comtois) but we really don't have anybody whose shot needs to be respected. Zegras + someone like Holtz from this next draft would be absolutely nutty.

I still think that a lot of people are sleeping on Sprong. The dude has a great shot, especially off a one-timer. I'd go as far as to moving him from RW to LW, while encouraging him to use his shot more...

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Z's ability to pass and to drive a play is the reason why I wanted the Ducks to draft Kaliyev. Give Z a winger with that shooting ability.

Maybe the Ducks will draft Holtz next year to score goals from Zegras' passes.

Why are we neglecting Brayden Tracey so much?

Mile High Hockey article wrote this about Tracey:
It seems like the majority of scouts believe Tracey’s point production was a by-product of his linemates. Tracey spent the majority of his major junior season playing with veteran linemates Justin Almeida (PIT) and Tristin Langan (undrafted). As he adjusted to the increased competition in the WHL, Tracey put up a respectable 14 goals and 38 points in his first 34 games of the season.

Entering 2019, his point production accelerated. He began looking more comfortable and confident playing with Almeida and Langan, shot the puck more, and put up an additional 22 goals and 43 points in the remaining 32 games of the season. Tracey finished the season in a three-way tie for the WHL lead in game-winning goals with 11.

First 34 games, Tracey's goals per game rate was 0.41 goals. In the final 32 games, Tracey's goals per game rate was 0.68 goals. Brayden improved his goal scoring. Also, this is Tracey's first year playing in the juniors. Then factor in he finished the season in a three-way tie for GWG with 11 goals in the WHL. On top of that, he was a goal scorer at the WJC-18 event.

The knock on Tracey is that he only produces when there's talent on his line. Being selected 29th overall, implies some unknowns about Tracey such as can he be a point driver as opposed to being a point rider. Z is a top talent that can be paired with Tracey, being a very good goal scoring complement. Unless you think Tracey stumbled into 11 GWG as well as stumbled upon 4 goals at the WJC-18 event.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Why are we neglecting Brayden Tracey so much?

Mile High Hockey article wrote this about Tracey:

First 34 games, Tracey's goals per game rate was 0.41 goals. In the final 32 games, Tracey's goals per game rate was 0.68 goals. Brayden improved his goal scoring. Also, this is Tracey's first year playing in the juniors. Then factor in he finished the season in a three-way tie for GWG with 11 goals in the WHL. On top of that, he was a goal scorer at the WJC-18 event.

The knock on Tracey is that he only produces when there's talent on his line. Being selected 29th overall, implies some unknowns about Tracey such as can he be a point driver as opposed to being a point rider. Z is a top talent that can be paired with Tracey, being a very good goal scoring complement. Unless you think Tracey stumbled into 11 GWG as well as stumbled upon 4 goals at the WJC-18 event.

Best not to over hype prospects. Go over to the Kings board and see what that looks like. Every draft pick is going to be a top 6 F or top 4 D. No one busts. They'll all be in the NHL in contributing roles at age 19-20. It's ridiculous and silly.

Tracey is very good but he'll really need to build on last season in order to get more hype. As it should be.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Best not to over hype prospects. Go over to the Kings board and see what that looks like. Every draft pick is going to be a top 6 F or top 4 D. No one busts. They'll all be in the NHL in contributing roles at age 19-20. It's ridiculous and silly.

Tracey is very good but he'll really need to build on last season in order to get more hype. As it should be.

To be honest, LA drafted exeptional over the last drafts. Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Kupari, Thomas & Vilardi. That is great talent.

Reactions: Mallard and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yeah Kings have drafted really really well (and well, they have sucked too :sarcasm: ). They might overhype someone as all fanbases do but they have a reason to be very hyped about their future.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
To be honest, LA drafted exeptional over the last drafts. Turcotte, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Kupari, Thomas & Vilardi. That is great talent.

Saying they drafted well based on those players is too premature. Same for us on players who aren’t in the NHL yet. I agree that they did a good job of taking the right guys who were available based on projection, but we don’t know if they drafted the right guys or not. I think Kaliyev in 2nd round was a steal, but there’s a reason he fell so far; TBD if taking him there was a mistake or not.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Saying they drafted well based on those players is too premature. Same for us on players who aren’t in the NHL yet. I agree that they did a good job of taking the right guys who were available based on projection, but we don’t know if they drafted the right guys or not. I think Kaliyev in 2nd round was a steal, but there’s a reason he fell so far; TBD if taking him there was a mistake or not.

People love to get way ahead of themselves but it's often funny to look back on. I remember people going nuts over some of the Blackhawks' drafts in the early to mid 2000s(before Toews and Kane), and while they turned out decent, it didnt nearly match the hype and at the time it was for many other guys and not the eventual crown jewels like Keith and Buff. Conversely I can't remember a draft class as torn apart as Montreal's in 2007, which ended up kind of being ok lol.

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Hmmm... I thought I said "Why are we neglecting Brayden Tracey so much?" That's not me overhyping a prospect, but to actually put Tracey in the conversation. Overhyping would be saying that Tracey is the best and that the Ducks' staff believes that much in him to pass up Arthur.

My point is identifying that Tracey is a good prospect. I even listed the knock on Tracey. If you think that's overhyping, let's all stop talking about Zegras on the Ducks' page. Tracey deserves "some" hype, unless you believe he "stumbled into 11 GWG" last year, which tied for the lead in the WHL. Sharing facts isn't overhyping a player. Even you stated that if Tracey builds upon his last year then you'll get "more" hype. So does Tracey get hype or not? Make up your mind. Or are you overhyping Tracey without realizing it? LoL

Reactions: Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Hmmm... I thought I said "Why are we neglecting Brayden Tracey so much?" That's not me overhyping a prospect, but to actually put Tracey in the conversation. Overhyping would be saying that Tracey is the best and that the Ducks' staff believes that much in him to pass up Arthur.

My point is identifying that Tracey is a good prospect. I even listed the knock on Tracey. If you think that's overhyping, let's all stop talking about Zegras on the Ducks' page. Tracey deserves "some" hype, unless you believe he "stumbled into 11 GWG" last year, which tied for the lead in the WHL. Sharing facts isn't overhyping a player. Even you stated that if Tracey builds upon his last year then you'll get "more" hype. So does Tracey get hype or not? Make up your mind. Or are you overhyping Tracey without realizing it? LoL

I didn't say you were over hyping him; I simply cautioned against doing so. What is there to say about him that hasn't already been said? He hasn't played any games since the draft (unlike Zegras and others) so there is no new information to judge him by. We can all read stats (and probably have) but that is old news.

If anything, there is some reason to be a little concerned about him...he played on a very top heavy team which had one scoring line and a lethal PP. He excelled in that role but he'll have much less support next year and we'll see how he handles that. He was not expected (by most) to be a 1st round pick but obviously the Ducks saw something they liked. We all hope the Ducks made the right call but he isn't a sure fire anything right now. Let's see how he starts the year and if he a blowing up the league we can start talking more about him. Until then, there really isn't much to say.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I didn't say you were over hyping him; I simply cautioned against doing so. What is there to say about him that hasn't already been said? He hasn't played any games since the draft (unlike Zegras and others) so there is no new information to judge him by. We can all read stats (and probably have) but that is old news.

If anything, there is some reason to be a little concerned about him...he played on a very top heavy team which had one scoring line and a lethal PP. He excelled in that role but he'll have much less support next year and we'll see how he handles that. He was not expected (by most) to be a 1st round pick but obviously the Ducks saw something they liked. We all hope the Ducks made the right call but he isn't a sure fire anything right now. Let's see how he starts the year and if he a blowing up the league we can start talking more about him. Until then, there really isn't much to say.
I don't think it matters too much.... were allowed to be excited by prospects.

I like tracey and his upside.... and maybe he was a product of a stacked team.... but hes going to get a chance to play with good players. I think players that can play well with high skilled teams is a big plus. Tracey had a pretty good world juniors also.

Sam steel was on a stakced team in d+1 year and put up 130 points, next year the team lost talent and he put up 80(i think)…. doesn't exactly mean much if hes progressing himself as a player and doing what he needs too. I don't think people looked at his 2nd season and started wondering if he was a product of a good team. And honestly i think sam steel was projected in the 2nd round also.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

My friend, I do not think you understand the things that you write nor did you take the time to comprehend what I wrote.

You directly stated "not to overhype prospects" while quoting me trying to insert Tracey as a possible option to being Zegras' running mate. That's indirectly implying I'm overhyping Tracey as you directly responded to my comment with quotes, mind you.

Afterwards, I replied to you that I'm not hyping up Tracey, but wondering why he's not part of the conversation?

Finally, you responded the exact same way you did in your first response. You caution overhyping Tracey. As I pointed out, there's no overhyping to begin with, but, my friend, you keep insisting that I'm overhyping him by using facts. Not only that, but you are trying to scold me why he shouldn't be overhyped with his flaw??? Did you read my initial comment, my friend? I pointed out that exact sentiment:
The knock on Tracey is that he only produces when there's talent on his line. Being selected 29th overall, implies some unknowns about Tracey such as can he be a point driver as opposed to being a point rider. Z is a top talent that can be paired with Tracey, being a very good goal scoring complement.

In my comment, I actually kept my expectations of Tracey consistent by identifying him as a complement to the top talent Zegras. I am not oblivious to the unknowns that surrounds Tracey, but I'm also not oblivious that Tracey does possess some talent to be a possibility as Z's future running mate. If the knock on Tracey is he only produces with top talents around him, then shouldn't pairing him with Zegras mitigate concerns about Tracey's production?

My friend, I think you used your sanctimonious diatribe on the wrong comment. If you truly believed that I am not overhyping Tracey, then there was no need for your comment. Yet, you commented... twice, scolding me in the second response about Tracey's flaw (which I already identified in my original comment).

I'll add this little tidbit about Tracey that you haven't brought up. Did you know that Tracey participated in the WJC-18 for team Canada? I'm not projecting here, but, rather, sharing facts. Tracey didn't have his WHL linemates with him at the WJC-18. So how did Tracey perform on a talent laden Canada U18 team? Tracey ranked fifth in scoring for team Canada U18 and third in goal scoring for team Canada U18. In seven games, Tracey had 4 goals and 3 assists for a total of 7 points. Tracey's production at the WJC-18 remains consistent with his WHL production. Around talented players, Tracey will show up on the scoresheet as a goal scorer.

Next, let's look at Zegras' WJC-18 productions. Zegras only played five games out of seven, but still finished as the fifth highest scorer on team USA U18 with 9 points. The 9 points breaks down into 0 goals and 9 assists. You did not misread that. Zegras had zero goals.

Now, let's add perspective to Tracey's production at the WJC-18 with Team Canada and their draft position.
  • Tracey: 4g, 3a = 7 points.... Drafted 29th overall.
  • Tomasino: 1g, 4a = 5 points.... Drafted 24th overall.
  • Pelletier: 0g, 2a = 2 points.... Drafted 26th overall.
  • Suzuki: 0g, 1a = 1 point.... Drafted 28th overall.
My friend, it appears that you knock down Tracey far more than I do trying to promote Tracey just being in the same conversation with Arthur Kaliyev to being a running mate with Zegras. I'm not pounding the table that Tracey is the top prospect in the Ducks' farm system, but I'm also not dismissing that he has talent either. What I am saying is that on a Ducks' board, why are we neglecting Tracey as a possibility as a running mate with Zegras? It's an honest question. The more I look into Tracey, the more impressed I am that his potential could be higher. Yet, that's not what I'm promoting at all, my friend. ha ha ha ha We all are waiting to see how all our prospects produce in the following year or years, but why are we overlooking our prospect, Tracey, simultaneously since all prospects are all potential that can rise or fall. Look at Mahura in our prospect ranking this year. That's a well deserved drop, but we don't get to that point until a year later. Kaliyev has high potential. So does Tomasino, Pellitier, and Suzuki. That same potential isn't extended to Tracey, though. Why?

That's the whole point of my initial comment. I want to start a conversation as to why Tracey is being blackballed today, so to speak. In short, "Why is Tracey being 'underhyped' "?

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
The issue I think most find with Tracey is he doesn't possess any obvious elite physical skills. He's also a bit undersized and not a fluid or quick skater at all... He scores because he thinks the game at a high level offensively, from what I've seen that's his best attribute; being in the right place and burying his opportunities. I could see him developing into a Jaden Schwartz type winger.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The issue I think most find with Tracey is he doesn't possess any obvious elite physical skills. He's also a bit undersized and not a fluid or quick skater at all... He scores because he thinks the game at a high level offensively, from what I've seen that's his best attribute; being in the right place and burying his opportunities. I could see him developing into a Jaden Schwartz type winger.
That would be amazing Schwartz is one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well, my friend, you typed a whole lot over the past 24 hours and didn't add a single iota to the knowledge that was already included in either this thread or the Braydon Tracey threads on this board or the main board. Congratulations! Maybe that's why nobody is talking about him...there is nothing new to say!!

But I hereby name you as the President and inaugural member of the Braydon Tracey fan club. Again, congratulations!!

Are you still being sanctimonious that you got called out, my friend? It appears you're now re-directing the fact you got called out for not comprehending my thoughts appropriately. Although you say I didn't add anything you didn't know, you had reiterated what I said in my original comment as if I didn't know that information. Did you acknowledge that faux pas? Nope.

Hey, I don't mind being a part of the Tracey fan club, considering he's a Ducks' prospect and I'm a Ducks' fan. You might want to acknowledge the environment you're typing upon, my friend. If Tracey succeeds, then the Ducks succeed. I fail to see the need for the backhanded adulation.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Are you still being sanctimonious that you got called out, my friend? It appears you're now re-directing the fact you got called out for not comprehending my thoughts appropriately. Although you say I didn't add anything you didn't know, you had reiterated what I said in my original comment as if I didn't know that information. Did you acknowledge that faux pas? Nope.

Hey, I don't mind being a part of the Tracey fan club, considering he's a Ducks' prospect and I'm a Ducks' fan. You might want to acknowledge the environment you're typing upon, my friend. If Tracey succeeds, then the Ducks succeed. I fail to see the need for the backhanded adulation.

My dear friend, go hang out with peter James Bond on the kings board. You guys deserve each other

Reactions: eternalbedhead

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I think that's what the Ducks' org wanted out of him - a goal scorer who knows where to be as well as being able to bury his chances. Z has a crafty mind and run circles around a lot of people, but needs someone to bury opportunities that Z creates. I like that out of Tracey. Tracey is a quick skater, but not a fast skater as well as needs to work on his defensive game. Also read that he doesn't like to get into dirty scrums. If people want a goal scorer/finisher playing next to Z, then Tracey could be that guy. As you said, though, outside of high offensive potential, the kid's got a lot of room for growth. That's probably why he was held back a year as he this year was his first year in the WHL. Tracey might be a longer term project for a more well rounded player who can finish at the net.

Outside of Max Comtois, Tracey might be the only goal scoring prospect we have in our system at this moment. (I'm not counting on Terry b/c I think Terry is an NHL product today.)

It's funny when you state that Tracey doesn't possess any obvious elite physical skills, but thinks the game at a high level offensively, thoughts of Corey Perry came to mind. Perry was drafted 28th overall in 2003. Except, Perry likes to play dirty and lives on that edge in front of the net. I'm not saying Tracey will be like Perry. Perry is something special as he'll have his number retired in the rafters. I just see some similarities. I'll be glad for a Schwarts production. I'm still a bit jaded from Peter Holland, though. Looks great everywhere, except at the NHL level. hahahhahahah

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
My dear friend, go hang out with peter James Bond on the kings board. You guys deserve each other

Why? This is a Ducks' message board. Is talking about Ducks' prospects not allowed on a Ducks' message board? Did I miss something, my dear friend, that you're now in charge of the Ducks' message board and your ideas cannot be challenged? You do know it's quite alright to admit you've been corrected as opposed to re-directing and deflecting your mistakes.

Oct 18, 2011
The king's haven't produced much from their farm system in 7 or 8 years. Sorry, I'm not drinking the Kool aid

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
We also weren`t producing much talent out of the draft up until 2009.
The Kings have schanged personnel, haven`t they? Plus, they finally have not been shipping out all the good picks last couple of years like they did when they were competitive.

The past is irrelevant in this case.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I know Thomas in particular was someone this board was extremely high on, as were pretty much half of the list that Masch listed.

It's obviously way too early to start saying that their scouting staff has fully turned around, but come on. If I were a Kings fan, I'd be very excited for the team. They have a lot of nice pieces that could turn into gold.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Why? This is a Ducks' message board. Is talking about Ducks' prospects not allowed on a Ducks' message board? Did I miss something, my dear friend, that you're now in charge of the Ducks' message board and your ideas cannot be challenged? You do know it's quite alright to admit you've been corrected as opposed to re-directing and deflecting your mistakes.

I really don't even know what we're arguing about. Tracey is a nice prospect. Has some good offensive skills but also some areas he needs to significantly improve. He made huge strides last year and hopefully he continues to do so again in 19-20. The WHL season starts next month and we can see how much he continues to develop as a player. In any event, best case is that he is 3 years away from sniffing NHL ice on a regular basis. Beyond that, I'm not going to put any higher expectations on the kid. If he finishes next year with 50 goals and 100 points then we can start to get excited about him as a real potential NHL player. Until then, I'm going to keep my expectations modest. I wasn't criticizing you for "hyping" him; just warning against it. If he continues to progress he will create his own hype.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Anybody know who will be participating in the Rookie Faceoff starting Saturday? I asked on the Ducks website chat and was told they have no roster yet to publish. Anybody heard if any specific guys are or are not playing?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Anybody know who will be participating in the Rookie Faceoff starting Saturday? I asked on the Ducks website chat and was told they have no roster yet to publish. Anybody heard if any specific guys are or are not playing?
The games aren’t until September. We’ve still got a month to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad