Prospect Info: Ducks Prospect Info 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
We'll lose one in lieu of the Seattle draft, but I get that we're all set right now. I'm just saying that it would make sense to not allow a gap in the farm for very long given that we've more or less exhausted our defensive prospect pool outside of Mahura/Larsson. If a d-man falls into reasonable BPA territory in this draft, I hope they grab one.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Ya, we need to start drafting defensemen again.

This is our positional breakdown since 2015:
Centers11
RW2
LW4
D4
G4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Only 1 of those defensemen have been drafted in the first 2 rounds. So basically since the 1st round of 2015, we have no drafted a defensemen in the first 2 rounds.

I know we have struck gold with defenesmen in the past, but if non of the last 3 we have drafted end up being NHL defensemen then the Ducks will go a long time without help on the backend.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ya, we need to start drafting defensemen again.

This is our positional breakdown since 2015:
Centers11
RW2
LW4
D4
G4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Only 1 of those defensemen have been drafted in the first 2 rounds. So basically since the 1st round of 2015, we have no drafted a defensemen in the first 2 rounds.

I know we have struck gold with defenesmen in the past, but if non of the last 3 we have drafted end up being NHL defensemen then the Ducks will go a long time without help on the backend.
I still think we have to look for a homerun center... thought veleno would have been good to trade up for this past draft. Newhook would be the guy id look at this year if he continues to drift around that middle of the 1st round.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think if we end up getting a high pick, then go for the center since we do need someone to replace Getz, but if end up with a later pick we should go for defensemen. We are getting thin at good defensive prospects.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What I like about Madden and company is they take the BPA for each particular draft at those draft spots. If defensmen are of higher talent, then they draft defense. If forwards are of higher talent, then they draft forwards. If by chance there's a goalie with high talent, then they'll go that way. It all depends on the draft year and what unfolds. This is what they've told us before as to why they haven't drafted forward higher in the draft was because all the talent they scouted were all high on their lists and were available.

TBH, I think this is very ingenious as you're trying to accumulate as many BPA's so that they can either flourish in your system or be used as trade assets. You never know when a prospect will develop or if they will, so you draft BPA per draft.

But the Ducks have been good at drafting in the lower rounds. So that's also a plus. Vatanen was a 4th rounder, Manson a sixth rounder, Terry a fifth rounder, and Kase in the fifth round, to name a few. Mahura is a 3rd rounder.

At center, the Ducks have Steel and Lundestrom developing. I don't understand the dire need to select a particular position just to select a position.

Reactions: Kalv and Masch78

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Want to watch exciting hockey? Canada's WJC team is playing Switzerland in a pre-tournament game and are leading 2-1 thus far into the first period. Comtois with two assists and he's absolutely trucking people.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Shoulda tuned in when I told you guys/gals to.. Comtois scores Canada's third goal of the period, giving him three primary points. Factor in that he's Canada's only returning player and I'd say he's making quite the bid for captain.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Shoulda tuned in when I told you guys/gals to.. Comtois scores Canada's third goal of the period, giving him three primary points. Factor in that he's Canada's only returning player and I'd say he's making quite the bid for captain.
So... is he making the team?

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
https://www.tsn.ca/talent/canada-s-top-line-finding-instant-chemistry-1.1229723

Button on Comtois. I tell you what, we got a gem in him.

What I just recognizend. I know you can not have them all and it is not a guarantee we would have taken a certain player but the spot before we selected Badini at #91 CHI got Evan Barratt at #90. And the spot before we got Kyle Olsen at #122 the OTT got Drake Batherson.

What I ask myself, would Troy Terry work at C?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I’m still really high on Max Jones. Think he can be a similar player to Tom Wilson.
The thing I like about Jones is he can be a great role player for us and fill out a line. In my opinion you want 2 high end skill forwards on each line that ca drive play, create and score. 3 would be great but your other lines usually suffer. Only one often means you cant hold zones or create and that 1 skater is a waste of his talent. That leaves 3 role players in your top 9 and I feel Jones should develop into a complimentary role player on a good line. Just because he doesnt score a ton in SD doesnt mean he doesnt have a future in Anaheim.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Jones is having a fine rookie season in SD in terms of production. Especially for the type of player he is.

Oct 18, 2011
Jones has always had alot of talent. He just keeps either getting hurt or suspended and slowing his development

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
People on these boards got pretty down on him.... still think hes a nhl middle 6er.
Me included. Very happy to see him proving me wrong.
Not like he is breaking any records down there but overall not bad, just want him to create the play more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia